IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why we shouldn’t ’do’ Hallowe’en  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why we shouldn’t ’do’ Hallowe’en

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 1:20am

i guess people believe what they want to believe.....

Next thing we know Thanksgiving was a pagan festival too and that it is not an islamic celebration so it should be avoided because we are supposed to be thankful all year around and not just one day in the year....yeah but atleast there is a holiday to remind people to be thankful and i think we all could take an example out of that....

But hey Samhain has a connetions to the "ween"? not really, but again people believe what they want to believe.....

Muslim Friend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslim Friend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 10:19am
Eh?!!
O Allah! Bless Muhammad and let his be the place close to you on the day of Resurrection.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 11:08am
History Channel has a good documetary about Anglo-American Halloween
history.

Suffice to say there are no such things as Frankenstein, goblins or even little
Disney princesses. Belief in these things is the problem. Halloween is not a
vestige of pagan belief; it is laughing at such stupidity and giving it to
children as a toy.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 1:10pm

Bismillah,

I would like to have a festival based on something, not just grown out of pagan beliefs, which it is.  Believe it or not, there really are people who worship satan and Halloween is their night of celebration.

Of course, most people are just having fun.  But I hate the symbolism of skulls, mummies, gross stuff like that. 

Let's just change the day and call it Fall candy day?  And let's do it in late spring because the weather is nicer (although with global warming, maybe winter would be okay.)

I'm really, really tired of elementary school kids euphemistically celebrating Christian holidays but calling them different names, like Fall Festival, and winter and spring breaks, when it's really Halloween, Christmas and Easter Holidays.

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 4:04pm
lol at "which it is"
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 6:56pm

Community, interesting story, never heard that one before. I don't how much of it is true, if any.

So where is your references, if its not a made up story by you

herjihad: "Believe it or not, there really are people who worship satan and Halloween is their night of celebration."

They use Halloween because they can get away with their looks, wear whatever and don't need to hide  It's not really their night of celebration, they just take an advantage and use it.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 10:54pm

Refference, well someone from West Virginia told me that in the old days it used to be for the poor kids, because they never got candy so they allowed them to go to the richer people in town to collect candy, some parents were imbarassed about being poor so they made them wear an old sheet.

Later on it became commercialized ofcourse after it became more popular(and it became popular not because of the costumes but because it is a good gesture towards the poor and the kids) and people started wearing costumes untill it became a social must nearly...

You can not blame this on the inventor of this celebration who wished to do something nice for the poor kids, and from the name of it "Halloween" it seems he or she was an arab....because Halloween means sweet ones in arabic dialects(middle eastern) And since it takes place in the evening my own thoughts are "maybe he was even a muslim who was fasting and suggested this idea to other people of his community and because he was fasting they did it after sun set(the time a muslim is allowed to eat again while fasting) Hey such a nice idea must have come from a person of faith, even though those silly costumes and ideas crept into people.

Edited by Community
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 4:16am

Community, why do you persist in this mischief of yours?

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/halloween/?page=origi ns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usma&c=holidays& amp;id=2204

http://www.theholidayspot.com/halloween/history.htm

Or, just "google" halloween, history for more proofs than you can roll a pumpkin at!

Enough time wasted on this .

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic