IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alhamdulillah!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alhamdulillah!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 10:31am

As salamu alaikum sis!  Wow, this will be your first Ramadan. Mabrook alayke  May Allah ta'la make it easy for you.

Yes during the fasting hours (dawn to dusk) we must abstain from eating and drinking.  Sexual relations with your spouse are also prohibited during fasting hours.  We should also be aware of the things we say (that goes under being on your best as you said). 

Most muslims try to complete the quran at least once during this holy month (it's not obligatory).  If you read 1/30 per day (the quran is broken up into 30 parts) that'll do it.  If you can do more then of course that's great too.

There is a special prayer that we pray after salatul isha (everynight).  It's called Taraa'weeh.  It's also not obligatory; however, I've never known a mosque that didn't observe it.  You mentioned that you're a mother.  If you're too busy or can't take your child to the mosque, you could always pray at home as many women do.

I'm not sure if you already know this stuff.  If you do, I'm really sorry for the repeated info If you have any specific questions know that you have plenty of sisters here on the board for you

Salaam

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 5:41pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Sister cartersmama: Ramadan is about so much more than fasting!  Don't worry, you will learn more about it, insha'alla (Allah willing), when you have the time to.  Here is a good place to look, if you have some time to do some light reading (maybe when baby is having a nap?) - go to www.islamonline.net and you will find many places on the main page regarding Ramadan (or just type Ramadan into the search bar on the main page!).

There is also a bit of info here under the "Pillars of Islam" file.

More than anything, Ramadan brings to Muslims an increase in their spiritual awareness and brings us closer to Allah.  Enjoy your first Ramadan and do try to take a little time during it to read up more about it if you are able!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic