IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Imam preaches Islam w/ a distinctly American style  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Imam preaches Islam w/ a distinctly American style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahdeezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 3:16am
He's cool, I've met him personally and have enjoyed many of his talks and such-- but I think that he has kind of entered into a "gray" area, along with a lot of other "American-styled Imams."

By "gray" area, I mean, that they are at a difficult position where they must balance orthodox and literal interpretation of religion (what gives them authority) along with contextual and cultural norms (which gives them an audience).

Unfortunately, a lot of scholars have slowly been adopting more "liberal" perspectives-- examples would be the permissibility of shaking hands with the other gender, listening to music, taking out interest based loans, and such.

What Imams need to understand is that we go to them because they are better examples of faith than we are-- we listen to them because they are "better." I'm not looking for Ammu foolan to be my religious scholar, I'm looking to hear some advice and Islamic perspective from an authentic source.

In my opinion, people, and society, are bound to go astray-- we are all sinners. The masjid should be one of the first places where I would learn that I shouldn't seek attention from the opposite sex, or that touching non-mahram isn't allowed, or that interest is haram, etc, etc. It shouldn't be endorsing it as an "acceptable" practice, or "out of necessity." (since it 'aint!) Thumbs%20Up

Edited by wahdeezi - 13 June 2011 at 3:17am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 9:09am
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Walaikum as-salaam sister.  Yes, you are right that women were able to actively take part in the time of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).  However, what got me alarmed was that Imam Webb said that barriers are not necessary.  What does he mean by this?  Does he mean that men and women can pray side by side?  Does he mean that the women can pray behind the men?  If he means the latter, then I have no problems as this was the practice in the time of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Yup Suhaib Webb is in favor of women attending Mosques, and he does not think that physical barriers' or partitions are necessary. [However he is also not militantly opposed to them either.]

He does not propose that men & women pray side by side, rather follow the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w). [He studied traditional Islam at Al-Azhar, Cairo.]. In fact he recently brought up an issue of 'feminism' creeping into Islam where people start to challenge traditional Islam & Texts on the basis of feminism,

Check out his website; http://www.suhaibwebb.com/, I like it because it addresses contemprary issues and also engages its readers. Plus Suhaib Webb himself is involved with the articles etc and is an accessible Scholar. MashAllah.

Just like Prophet Muhammad... when a young man approached him and said 'Allow me to fornicate'. The Companions immediately admonished him, but our Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) said to him: come sit near me. And then he gently asked whether he would be okay if somebody fornicated with his sister/mother/aunt/daughter... to which he replied in the negative. Then the Prophet made Dua for him, and he desisted from such acts. I don't think any muslim today can go to the average Imam and discuss their problems with them.

I apologize, but I am not familiar with this story.  Can you provide the reference?  I am aware that the Prophet was very approachable about controversial matters, even sexual matters, and refrained from becoming angry.  For instance, when a man came to him admitting that he had sexual intercourse during the fasting period in Ramadan, the Prophet did no become angry but offered the man ways to make up for the act.

I'm afraid I don't know the exact reference. However I heard this hadith in a lecture by Usama Canon here:

[Love, Dating & Friendship. 11.00 min onwards]
http://www.taleefcollective.org/?page_id=97

According to him its Sahih Muslim. (I found this hadith rather amazing, that a Muslim would actually approach the Prophet and ask him regard a matter which was clearly haraam; and how beautifully he dealt with him! SubhanAllah!)

Edited by Chrysalis - 13 June 2011 at 9:14am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 9:15am
This will inshAllah give the reader a better gist of Suhaib Webb's main ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ob2zqbxWs

Edited by Chrysalis - 13 June 2011 at 9:19am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Then came the pseudo Wahhabi teachers the fifth columnar/ Salafis  in the shape of Almaghrib and he is one of them...Only the time will tell at the harvest time what would be reaped and by who?

I think Almaghrib is doing a pretty cool job! They recently came to our town and mashAllah the course was very nice. As much as I dislike using the terms, they are not 'wahabi or fundo or extreme'. They teach traditional texts & Islam, and have a nice contemporary approach. Their scholars are knowledgeable and accessible. [Atleast most of 'em I think. Can't speak for all...
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 10:19am

Imam Ahmad narrated that Abu Umama reported the following: A young man came to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and said: O Prophet of Allah, let me commit adultery. Hearing that, the companions proceeded toward him quickly and said: �Hush! Hush!� as an expression of anger for such shameless request. The Prophet called the young man to come closer. The man sat down. Then the Prophet asked him: �Do you accept adultery for your mother?� He said: No, I swear by Allah that I don�t accept it. The Prophet said: �And so people do not accept adultery for their mothers.� The Prophet asked: �Do you accept adultery for your daughter?� He said: No, I swear by Allah that I don�t accept it. The Prophet said: �And so people do not accept adultery for their daughters.� The Prophet asked: �Do you accept adultery for your sister?� He said: No, I swear by Allah that I don�t accept it. The Prophet said: �And so people do not accept adultery for their sisters.� The Prophet asked: �Do you accept adultery for your paternal aunt?� He said: No, I swear by Allah that I don�t accept it. The Prophet said: �And so people do not accept adultery for their paternal aunts.� The Prophet asked: �Do you accept adultery for your maternal aunt?� He said: No, I swear by Allah that I don�t accept it. The Prophet said: �And so people do not accept adultery for their maternal aunts.� Then the Prophet, peace be upon him, put his hand on that young man and said: ((O Allah, forgive him, purify his heart and help him to keep his chastity)). Thereafter, such young man refrained completely from looking for such (bad) things.  Musnad Imam Ahmad

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 10:29am

Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Then came the pseudo Wahhabi teachers the fifth columnar/ Salafis  in the shape of Almaghrib and he is one of them...Only the time will tell at the harvest time what would be reaped and by who?

I think Almaghrib is doing a pretty cool job! They recently came to our town and mashAllah the course was very nice. As much as I dislike using the terms, they are not 'wahabi or fundo or extreme'. They teach traditional texts & Islam, and have a nice contemporary approach. Their scholars are knowledgeable and accessible. [Atleast most of 'em I think. Can't speak for all...

Well, as they say, "the devil is in the details" and whether salafi/wahaabi, sufi, shia, ikwani, tablighi, fundamentalist, progressives, liberals...ect - textual evidence and specifics are where the 'rubber meets the road.'   Groups and individuals should at least have a textual basis for their opinions as a starting point.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 3:09pm
Jazak Allah Khair to sister Chrysalis and brother Abuayisha for the info.  I agree sister that the hadith in question is truly beautiful and inspiring.  What great wisdom and patience the Prophet had.  SubhanAllah! 

I do honestly feel more at ease now regarding the ideas of Imam Webb.  As long as we strive to do everything along the lines of the Quran and Sunnah, we will be alright, inshaAllah.  But the second we try to move away from them, we will become misguided.   
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2011 at 10:03am
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

God sent religion for mankind so those who believe to follow it, not the other way around. When man evolves what is sent by God, it messes up things. For that reason we are told to follow a way of life that is a guidance by the one who knows us and knows All.
That certainly does not mean to live in stone age, rather, under devine guidance prosper and live in harmony with those and what surrouds us. 
I think it was people like you who always existed and thought that way and were behind improving what God sent, thus making it not just invalid for the coming generations but destructive for themselves.
Hasan

Hasan,
God sends us evolving religions. For that reason we are told to follow an evolving way of life. Gender segregation was a way of life in the 7th century on the Arab peninsula. The rules of Ramadan were made for the Arab peninsula, not for Nuiqsut, Alaska or Tromso, Norway where the sun doesn't set for several weeks. No human can survive that long without drinking water. God created evolving life. God created evolving humans. Therefore God also sends us evolving religions. This is why Martin Luther triggered the reformation. Christianity in 21st century is different from Christianity in the 11th century. Islam in the 10th century was different from Islam in the 8th century. Same for Judaism. It's normal. Our interpretation of holy texts changes. It's normal. We should debate change and embrace change that makes sense. 7th century Islam doesn't make sense in the 21st century.

Edited by Matt Browne - 19 June 2011 at 10:05am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic