IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim women badly treated.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim women badly treated.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulAsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:18am

Sandra,

Domestic violence is a problem everywhere, but it prevails in poor countries, where education is lacking.  Most muslim coutries are considered poor.  It is NOT an Islamic religious teaching to beat your wife!  In fact, muslims strive to live like Muhammad (PBUH), who NEVER participated in spousal abuse, and implored fellow muslim men to treat their spouse with kindness, as that is Allahs will.  Although I will not even PRETEND to ignore the horrible conditions of many women all over the world, I will say that your statement about "MOST" muslim women being in fear of their life is a gross over exaggeration.  Being a muslim myself, I have many muslim friends.  I have been to Pakistan with my husbands family and met all of his relatives and friends.  I can honestly say that NOT ONE MAN I MET, agrees it is okay to physically harm his wife.  IN FACT, most muslim men I know joke about how their wives are starting to "wear the pants", and most muslim women I know have wonderful, caring, supportive spouses.  As I mentioned before, your concern is quite valid, but CULTURAL change takes time.  Remember that it was not that long ago that in America, women could not vote and spousal abuse here was rampant everywhere.  It took time and public awareness and education to get women their rights in our culture, and it will take the same in other countries.  I think people forget that many countries are relatively new, like Pakistan, and it really does take time for a country to get on its feet and start enforcing human rights.  The United States began in the late 1700's, and it was not until several decades later that slavery was abolished!  This does not mean that slavery was supported by Christianity, just because christians owned slaves, does it?  In the same light, Islam does not support the abuse of women just because some muslim men choose to be barbaric. 

Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:26am

Sandra,

I understand you sadness, and I agree that this is a horrendous problem.  I too have read and studied practices in pre-dominantly Islamic cultures.  I too have read page after page of stories regarding honor killings and other gross injustices within some of these communities.  However, the acts you are referring to are not acts that are sanctioned by Allah (God).  There are no passages in the Qur�an that permits a person to do these evil things.  However, there are customs and traditions that in some cases (as is the cases with the honor killings in Jordan you have read about), have been honored DESPITE the fact that they go again the teachings of Islam. 

Allah warns us time and time again not to deviate from His laws or to make innovations to what He has made lawful to us.  We cannot blame Allah for what some men/women have chosen to do.  We all must do what is right to help eradicate the evils of the world; however, we must do that within the laws set forth by Allah or we too will be as guilty as these wrong doers.

And just for your information, at the time I read and studied these horrendous acts, I was not a Muslim.  At one time, I too had a hard time seeing the difference between the acts of humans and those permitted by Islam.  However, I am now Muslim of my own free will.  No one but Allah called me to this.  Allahu Akbar.

PAZ

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
sandra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:30am
Im not here to argue with anyone, im happy for you if your happy but!! In Jordan and this is only one country i am choosing, it is specifically said it is a Islamic legal religion that is called (Killing Honour) How can you tell me this is not so, when i have spoken to Islamic women, crying to me, telling me they wish they were not born at all, because they way they HAVE to live.  Please read a novel called Forbidden Love, by a Islamic women called Norma Khouri and she state what goes on in most, i will repeat most, Islamic cultures.  To get off the subject myself, yes western women are beaten, killed, treated bad, this happens in every country your correct on this, but ITS NOT BY LAW you will be jailed if this is committed in western countries.  In Jorden, Afghnistan, Sadi arabia, ect Islamic believers is permited if they say they did it to cleanse their families honour.  Now if you tell me this women that has written this book is full of crap well then your right, but i have even spoken to her by voice and i dont think i could get better information on Islamic cultures in most countries than from a victom herself.  Yes men do leave there women that have to stand on the street, but this is because unfortunately some people are animals and have no education, and treat other humans like dirt, they will punish themselves some day, but in western countries i know for a fact it does not state by law anything saying "killing Honour" is legal,
sandra
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:35am

Sandra,

It is absolutely forbidden for a Muslim to kill anyone (self defence is the only exception).  Our holy book, the Qur'an is our guide.  There is nothing about "honour killing" in it.  These people have mixed up culture with religion.  They think it is part of their religion - they are wrong.

May Allah guide all the misguided Muslims to the truth.

ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
JulAsif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulAsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:36am
We all agree with you that there are serious problems.  We are simply arguing that Islam doesn't support these horrible crimes against humanity.  What more do you want us to say??  Many muslim women are very active in trying to free women from bad situations.  Actually, although YOU might not see it, if you ask an elderly muslimah who has lived a while, you will find that SLOWLY, times are changing and education is spreading and muslim women are beginning to get the rights perscribed to them in Islam.  Do we have a LONG way to go?  Sure.  But we are working on it.  What exactly do you want us to say in this discussion? That it's wrong and horrific?  IT IS WRONG AND HORRIFIC!  That it's not supported through islalmic teachings?  IT IS NOT SUPPORTED THROUGH ISLAMIC TEACHINGS!!  That we should do something about it??? WE HAVE BEEN.  SOCIAL CHANGE DOESN"T COME OVERNIGHT! 
sandra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:40am

Originally posted by Khadija1021 Khadija1021 wrote:

[quote]

Sandra,

I understand you sadness, and I agree that this is a horrendous problem.  I too have read and studied practices in pre-dominantly Islamic cultures.  I too have read page after page of stories regarding honor killings and other gross injustices within some of these communities.  However, the acts you are referring to are not acts that are sanctioned by Allah (God).  There are no passages in the Qur�an that permits a person to do these evil things.  However, there are customs and traditions that in some cases (as is the cases with the honor killings in Jordan you have read about), have been honored DESPITE the fact that they go again the teachings of Islam. 

Allah warns us time and time again not to deviate from His laws or to make innovations to what He has made lawful to us.  We cannot blame Allah for what some men/women have chosen to do.  We all must do what is right to help eradicate the evils of the world; however, we must do that within the laws set forth by Allah or we too will be as guilty as these wrong doers.

And just for your information, at the time I read and studied these horrendous acts, I was not a Muslim.  At one time, I too had a hard time seeing the difference between the acts of humans and those permitted by Islam.  However, I am now Muslim of my own free will.  No one but Allah called me to this.  Allahu Akbar.

PAZ

I cant judge anyone, if you think or believe that this allah has called you to change or what ever it has told you well so be that, but i can only judge on what i have seen and heard and know.  Tell me something why do Islamic women cover?

sandra
aisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:40am
im sure that what hapens in jorden is not islamic,people can claim that what they are doing is islamicbut nowhere in the quran does it say kill and beat your women,having afgan connections i can say that all the women i know who live there have utter respect from there husabnds.this is the case of most women i know,please dont let what happens to some women be interpreted to all women its not the case.i would love you to meet all the women i know,then im sure you would change your mind about muslim men.
aisha
JulAsif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulAsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:45am
I am a Muslim woman
by Jenn Zaghloul

I am a Muslim woman
    Feel free to ask me why
    When I walk,
    I walk with dignity
    When I speak
    I do not lie

I am a Muslim woman
    Not all of me you'll see
    But what you should appreciate
    Is that the choice I make is free