IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Abused Muslim Women in U.S.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abused Muslim Women in U.S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 3:05pm

I think domestic violence is a problem regardless of race, religion or nationality.  It effects everyone.  Just go to the lifetime network that I know plays here in the United States and you can watch movies all day about real women who were severly abused and/or killed by their husbands (American women with no ties outside this country).  This network usually only shows white Christian women.  Yet I have seen it effect women of every type.  I just use this example to show it isn't just men from the middle east or of the Islamic religion that do these things.

Honestly, if muslims take a stand against it and start preaching against it then they may set the example for all other groups.  It would certainly be nice to see.  As well as giving Islam a better name to those who view it in a bad light.

Edited by Salams_wife
Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 3:15pm

WAS,

Salams_wife you said: Honestly, if muslims take a stand against it and start preaching against it then they may set the example for all other groups.  It would certainly be nice to see.  As well as giving Islam a better name to those who view it in a bad light.

good point.......for change to occur it has to start somewhere.

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 7:52pm

Originally posted by NEIL MacFARQUHAR NEIL MacFARQUHAR wrote:

In most Muslim countries, the law is rooted in a combination of the Koran and tradition, so immigrants are more reticent.

I think law in so called Muslim countries is rooted in ignorance and remnants of colonialism (slavery). The lawlessness in the home countries is neither Quraan nor the Tradition. Most problems arising are economics of the new world where the woman get the brunt for their lack of preparedness and understanding of life style issues.

Originally posted by NEIL MacFARQUHAR NEIL MacFARQUHAR wrote:

�It is much more difficult there to say I want a divorce, I want custody or my husband is forcing me to have sex without my permission,� said Samira Ansari, a family lawyer in San Jose, Calif. �Because they don�t get that legal support back home, it takes them a while to understand what exists here.�

At the stage �my husband is forcing me to have sex without my permission� sure need  Dr. Laura Schlessinger�s �the Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands�

Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 7:59pm

>>>>I think domestic violence is a problem regardless of race, religion or nationality<<<<

This is why I say culture is the main element in domestic violence. Culture transcende race, religion and nationality because it is a combination of all three. Indeed we can also say genetically this could be the case as well.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2008 at 2:58am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

>>>>I think domestic violence is a problem regardless of race, religion or nationality<<<<

This is why I say culture is the main element in domestic violence. Culture transcende race, religion and nationality because it is a combination of all three. Indeed we can also say genetically this could be the case as well.

I agree with all said. There is also alcohol and drugs that can make one abusive to.

Also, isn't abuse also stem from when men were (still in some way)  considered the leaders of family groups, that males were also in charge. i'm not wording this right but the picture in my mind is of cave men.

I know culture plays a big part but globally its usually men that abuse much more. yes women do abuse men too.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
poga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2008 at 8:52am
beating of disobedient wife is very good thing for society
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2008 at 6:02am

Originally posted by poga poga wrote:

beating of disobedient wife is very good thing for society

can husbands get a beating to, maybe that would be good for society, get a taste of their own medicine.

beating is abuse Poga.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2008 at 6:46am
Actually I found a fatwa that says if a husband is beating his wife unnesessarily than she is allowed to strike him back.  If anyone wants to see it then I will be happy to post it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic