IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chelle’s interview with Dr. Ahmad Sakr.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chelle’s interview with Dr. Ahmad Sakr.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 6:10pm

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Yes bro. Rami and Walid. U picked up valid points for discussions. And there are many more too. Even my bro AbuZaid, was n't agreeing with this interview.

But my intention was to encourage Chelle. This interview, increased her intrest in Islam. She is now a student of Islam. Yes, we are to correct her but  at the same time, let us please remember that though we may vary Dr. Ahmad Sakr's view, but not critisise him such. Lets correct his points in a proper way. Else many non-muslims may feel Islam as complicated religion. Hope u understand me brother.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chelle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 6:51pm
Yeah, after all the criticism, I was beginning to regret sharing the interview.  I thought Dr. Sakr was very nice to take the time to talk to me, but I didn't realize the things he said were so controversial.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 9:53am

The following were good questions from chelle:

10. Does your denomination have a designated leader, such as a Pope or Prophet? If so, does he/she speak for God infallibly?

We have people in the Muslim world, there are different levels appointed by the government. There are imams, sheikhs (they lead the community in their prayers), mufti (higher level), quadi � judge, grand mufti (top leader)

11. What is the procedure by which your denomination can change its teaching on something? Does one person get a revelation? Do delegates at a convention vote on it?

Any religious decision has to be discussed with the grand mufti and he will give the final decision

12. To what extent does your denomination seek to develop inter-denominational ties with other churches? If so, which ones?

We have many. We have been asked that we have interfaith meetings with everybody. During the month of Ramadan we do it at a hotel and we invite Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, all of them. There is no proselytizing, no teaching, just meeting together and sharing commonalities.

But I feel that proper and sufficient answers were not given to chelle. Or they have not been described well enough.

Chelle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 10:23am
How would you expand on the answers?
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 10:17pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

Dont mind the discussion chelle it is nothing personal.  controversy means there are two apposing valid points of view held by different people which can not be settled.

The answers he gave where just plain wrong and misleading.

He can "maybe" argue there is no such thing as shia in islam by the simple definition of the word shia, which means partisans but he can not argue there is no such thing as sunni's because the word simply means those who follow the sunnah i.e teaching of the prophet.

The four schools of legal thought in sunni islam are not a controversy or even in debate by muslim groups they have been followed by muslims world wide for the last 1400 years without fail, not even the salafi's of today would dare say it is not valid to follow any of these so he must belong to some very small hard line group that no one has heard of yet.

a Quick run down on Islam if you like, Muslims are comprised of roughly 2 main groups Sunni and shia, Sunni's comprise approximately 93% of all Muslims world wide while shia are about 5-7% give or take. The main difference between the two is that the shia say Muslim leaders can only be from the descendants of the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] while Sunni Muslims say no it can be any Qualified person.

we both follow the same Quran and the prophet. How and why we differ is because the shia do not accept narrations from many of the prophets companions and wives so the historical evidence upon which there legal system is based is vastly smaller than that of Sunni muslims.

If you want to learn about Islams legal schools of thought from a historical perspective the following article is the best i have read on the matter, its a vastly different reality than the one the Dr falsely tries to paint.

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/ahm/newmadhh.htm

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Chelle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 8:58am

Thank you, rami.  :)

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 10:33am

He can "maybe" argue there is no such thing as shia in islam by the simple definition of the word shia, which means partisans but he can not argue there is no such thing as sunni's because the word simply means those who follow the sunnah i.e teaching of the prophet.

Are referring to the word "Shia" meaning partisans or the split in itself? Frankly, any Muslim with a name in front of Muslim is distinctively identifying themself and associating with a particular community. I mean, it should be common sense in Islam to follow the Sunnah of the prophet one shouldn't identify themselves as Sunni just for that reason.

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 2:07am

How would you expand on the answers?

Chelle has asked me to expand on the answers. That was not in my mind. Your questions were correct and well online. But the responder did not answer all that you asked. It would be no use for me to become Dr.sakr and to give my answers. But I wanted to appreciate your questions and I may ask Chelle as to who prepared such a good questionare.

Very soon I may add my comments too, even though it is not necessary.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic