IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Women in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Women in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2005 at 6:04am

Bismillah,

Why don't you post your query under Tafsir of Quran?

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2005 at 12:39pm

Assalamu Alaikum

Sister Herjihad, although Brother Community didn't answer you, it is clear from his other posts that he doesn't believe in seeking "Tafsir of Qur'an" because he doesn't believe in turning to scholars in seeking knowledge of the Holy Qur'an.  He believes all one needs is the Holy Qur'an because Allah made all things clear to us through the  Holy Qur'an.

Brother Community, what English translation of the Holy Qur'an do you use?  I use Yusuf Ali's translation and it doesn't not say "a recommendation" as can be seen below.

"In what your wives leave your share is a half if they leave no child; but if they leave a child ye get a fourth; after payment of legacies and debts. In what ye leave their share is a fourth if ye leave no child; but if ye leave a child they get an eighth; after payment of legacies and debts. If the man or woman whose inheritance is in question has left neither ascendants nor descendants but has left a brother or a sister each one of the two gets a sixth; but if more than two they share in a third; after payment of legacies and debts; so that no loss is caused (to anyone). Thus is it ordained by Allah and Allah is All-Knowing Most Forbearing." (Sura 4, Ayat 12)

Daryabadi's translation say "an ordinance", Muhsin Khan's translation says "a Commandament" and Pickthall's translation says "A commandment".  So, it appears that it is  not a recommendation but rather a law that it be done so.  One should be very careful as to the English translation of the Holy Qur'an he/she uses.  Some are tainted.  That is why I had mine send to me from the Middle East intead of getting one here in the states.  At the very least, you should consider using an on-line sight where you can see what other English translations of the Holy Qur'an say.  I use the following link which has all four of the English translations I have mentioned here.  Maybe you will find it useful in answering some of your questions. 

http://www.parexcellence.co.za/islam/quraan.asp

Allah Hafiz

Sister Khadija

Edited by Khadija1021
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2005 at 2:30pm

It is directly from arabic,

What Yusuf Ali and others did is in some cases mistranslate just to give right to the methodology and judgments of the scholaric esteblishment they are afiliated with. I believe this is wrong.

wasiyyatan mina Allahi waAllahu AAaleemun haleem.

a recommendation from Allaha, and Allah is a knowing, gentle/kind.

Edited by Community
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2005 at 2:46pm

Those are the limits of Allah,those who obey Allah and His Messenger will be admitted to Gardens with rivers flowing beneath, to abide therein (for ever) and that will be the supreme achievement."

Hudoodu Allah, the limits of Allah.

Limits are set to make sure justice is done, it does not however mean that one can not increase in the matters of justice and good, rather it only means no one is allowed to practice anything under those limits because that would mean no other then injustice.

So basically speed on in the way of good and justice and make sure that no one transgresses the right of others by going under those limits. As for those who surpass the limits of Allah and do not go under it they are free from blame, it is rather those who go under it you should worry about. As for those who stick right at the limit and do not go over it or under it, these are free from blame also but i recommend them to better.

And not do We send the sent ones but as bringers of glad tidings (good news) and as warners: so whoever secures himself with faith and mends (their lives),- no fear is over them, nor do they(themselves) grief. [6:48]

Edited by Community
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic