IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sisters read this!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sisters read this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sisters read this!
    Posted: 19 August 2005 at 9:55pm

As'Salaamu Alaikum ya Muslimeen!

I wonder sisters is it discourage in our community especially for a man of the communtiy to be a OB/GYN doctor? It sounds like a no brainer but for all seriousness what do you sisters think? Also yes Angel your response is also necessary it gives the flavor of anothe ropinion....

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 10:35am

Assalamu alaikum,

All my Muslimah friends go to female OB/GYN doctors.  I think this is more comfortable and more correct for them, yes?  After all, would a man wish to go to a female proctologist?   (As if a female would wish to go into that field.  )

In my own opinion, it only makes sense to go to someone who has the same parts and knows first hand how they function!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 1:49pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

As'Salaamu Alaikum ya Muslimeen!

I wonder sisters is it discourage in our community especially for a man of the communtiy to be a OB/GYN doctor? It sounds like a no brainer but for all seriousness what do you sisters think? Also yes Angel your response is also necessary it gives the flavor of anothe ropinion....

I have no idea. But I do wonder why men opt for this profession. It could be that from the beginning of science, when the population of women coming in workforce was small, men took over, and the tradition is being carried down till today.

I agree with sister Ummziba, it is definitely more comfortable to see a female doc for reasons of modesty and shyness. It is easier to communicate and less embarassing while going thru a pap test or a digital exam. 

I think men can be as efficient obgyns as a woman, when they go thru a professional training, so I have no reason to doubt a male docs ability, but I wish they had left this area exclusively for women to specialize in

We know that if a woman is forced by necessity to see a male doc, there is no blame on her. So, I hope if a man is forced by necessity to opt for this profession, there would not be any blame. After all the job is to benefit the society at large.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 8:18pm
I agree and I understand where you both are coming from and I guess that makes sense when you put it that way, but why not a male Gynecologist? I think when Med students go through med school I think there is an advanced understanding of the human anatomy so in light of that how is a man's knowledge different in this respetc? Is it merely comfort for the woman that she is examined by another or is there something I as a man cannot comprehend....? My sisters a bro needs answers ....Sister Ummziba did you say proctologist? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by Israfil
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 6:30am

Assalamu alaikum Brother Israfil,

I will be more blunt - for myself, I would rather die than go to a male ob/gyn.  It has nothing to do with his competence or knowledge or qualifications.  It is purely a matter of modesty.  Maybe other sisters feel differently.

Either male or female can do the job.  But, why would a male choose this job?  (I mean, especially a male Muslim - who is not supposed to even see his father's or brother's private parts - why would he chose a job in which he would see something he is not supposed to???) 

Allah tells us in the Qur'an to "lower our gaze and guard our modesty".  Does a Muslim male ob/gyn follow this?  Does a Muslim female who goes to a male ob/gyn follow this?  Of course, in necessity, there is no sin on either.

I know, in the west, females are used to male ob/gyn's, but that doesn't make it right.  Myself, I thank Allah for women who choose to go into this field, they are badly needed.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 9:36am

I had women attending to me at birth but at the end the doctors came in to attend the nurse and oversee the birth in case their was complications. At that point, near the end of labor, it made no difference to me. The men left quickly because I didn't even notice!

Giving birth is such an amazing experience the gender of the ob seems of small concern at the moment. 

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 11:16pm

As'Salaamu Alaikum Muslimahs

In God's name I love each and every one of my sister sin Islam for their great knowledge!

Ummmziba you are indeed a righteous person when it comes to one explaining herself. You are indeed right to criticize that scenario. The one thing I understand little about this profession is the female anatomy is all the same--or similar in the sense of their fuctions and their generations. When it comes to these professions sister we have to be careful and not generalize. The knowledge of a female gynecologist and male gynecologist are the same. The go through the same schooling and practice in the same field. Their only difference is perhaps the salary and their sex.

Sister I for one understand the comfort level when it comes to examination. I remmber when playing basketball in college we used to get exams by one physician. All male athletes know about the cough cough check up. To me that was embarassing exposing myself to a male but I now understand that in my mind it was embarassing because I felt exposed but perhaps in the mind oh the physician it was "another job."

The main point of medicine as I understand it is the advancement of medicine and perhaps how we react to such methods are dependednt on our culture/experience. I now know here that majority of you here with the exception of MayPB would be uncomfortable just for reasons of preference. Perhaps its more of preference than anything I see.... To answer you question sister, why would a male choose that line of profession? Well the most noblest answer would be to better understand the human anatomy and to better advance the human condition.

Edited by Israfil
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 7:02am

I have a friend who has an inverted uterus (it kinda "leans" in the opposite direction , if that makes any sense)

Anyhow, she tells the story of 2 different gynaecologists she has visited - one a female, one a male. She said the female doctor, when doing a pap smear and whatever treatment was needed that day really caused my friend a lot of pain. She said she was quite rough with her and my friend was quite upset by the incident.

By contrast, she said the male gynaecologist was gentle and very very careful with her and caused her almost no pain and absolutely no distress at all!

So I think it just depends on the individual. the VAST majority of health professionals are just that - PROFESSIONAL. I was in hospital for 9 weeks and you really need to "check your dignity at the door". I was there for a smashed pelvis, so couldn't move at all. I had to use a pan, instead of going to the toilet (and try to tell me that THAT isn't humiliating no matter WHAT the sex of the person attending you), I changed menstrual pads while the male nurse was standing there to take the old one away, etc, etc. You are their patients, they are your professional, medically trained carers. they've seen it all. aS As a patient you have to trust them and not think "Oh my! I'm the ONLY female body they've ever seen!" Cos baby - it ain't true!

Kim...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic