IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help me to break astrology belief scientifically  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me to break astrology belief scientifically

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LeoCasta View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male Catholic
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeoCasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me to break astrology belief scientifically
    Posted: 31 January 2020 at 2:56am
Dude, a more serious problem is that many consider numerology to be an important science and even study it. My friend recently surfed the Internet and came across one site about numerology and he became crazy
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:12am
In addition to Matt's point angel since you've done your homework you understand that astronomy today is called astrophysics. Astrologers although using celestial bodies to make certain predictions may not consider elliptical orbits of planets and the various gravitational pulls of each individual planet.

Do you understand how detail this stuff is? Astronomy is not just about planetary alignments is about planetary measurement of mass, temperature, gravity and environment. Astronomers and astrophysicist make certain calculations on planetary "behavior" based on these things astrologers don't. Astrologers mostly focus on a planet or several planets based on a persons birth chart.

planets change all the time based on their position to the sun so even if I were to consider astrology how can an astrologer make a correct analysis of behavior if they don't consider all the elements (internal planetary temperature, mass etc)? So no astrology is not astronomy
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 3:07am
Just because astronomy and astrology weren't  separated in the past does not mean astrology should be supported today. Solstices, equinoxes and the transits of planets are all astronomical phenomena. Alchemy was once considered a science long before chemistry came into existence. The modern version of alchemy is big bang and stellar nucleosynthesis / nuclear transmutation supported by a solid scientific foundation.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:17am

i just lost my replyCry

you think I haven't done my simple google search and research and watching documentaries.

"there is astrology and then there is astrology" perhaps wrong choice of words but I feel that nowaday there's two parts. Point 1: is because both were one and the same and still is! even though the scientific community won't acknowledge it. You have the solistics, equonixes and transits of planets and stars that the ancient civilisation used, and also the earth based religions, they use also. here there is no separation - one and the same. Early history points out that astrologers and astronomers were one.  Point 2: is because of fortune or should i say more accurately the future telling and personal traits of people that seem to have taken over. I will be one of the people to say some of the traits that describe a person is not true or not reflected. I've had a few people who think they know their astrological traits and pick those who are this and this and when they come to me and say you are this? and i say no and there like surprised, but on the interesting note some people will tend to show their opposing sign and not the sign they are born into, some people do not study it enough to learn the more intrisic details but stick to the more general stuff. 

here is a simple google search, this may give a better reading:

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 6:09am
Angel no offense but please don't confuse the court. There is no such thing as "there is astrology and then there is astrology." That made no sense to me. As far as predicting future you are referring to fortune telling e.g palm readings. Also, historically speak astrology is a branch from astronomy not the other way around. If you look at egyptian monuments and other artifact most historians and scientist conclude those ancient cultures used ASTRONOMY. As Matt Browne and myself pointed out earlier the psuedoscience of astrology used celestial bodies to correlate personality amd behavior. The 3 wisemen as you mentioned didn't use astrology cause it didn't exist at that time they used the stars as a guide to Jesus ergo, astronomy.

If you think I'm talking out of my butt a simple google search would show. I'm merely going off the decades old learning I had in college. One of the first things I remember when I took astronomy in college was as my professor once said: "there are no calendars, horoscopes, or predictions here, only the universe."

I apologize if this sounded harsh but you make four paragraphs of confusing astrology with fortune telling, astronomy, and astrology.

Edited by Gibbs - 08 May 2010 at 6:11am
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 8:56pm

Guys, there is astrology and then there is astrology. As for the fortune telling one, I'm not that into it seriously, fun yes but seriously no I do not follow my life on it although if something comes true that is cool, but some also don't come true and yes i have my explanations this as to why. And also if i see someone dressed up as gypsy sitting at a square table with a pretty cloth and a supposedly a ball of crystal that is supposed to act as if its to tell your future - I just cringe and what to run in the opposite direction!!! Tongue 

Astrology in its true form is the study of sun, stars and the positions of them. And yes this may seem like Astromony (and in a way it is) but Astronomy came from astrology before the scientific era split them up!  Early man used astology and you will find that this is mentioned in various studies. Before the fortune telling come in to play man used astrology for navigation on the seas - hey guess what they still do Wink that's if the guys nowdays don't used nagivation charts/maps and haven't lost the art of reading the night sky! early man used the different seasons, the solistics, the equonixes to plant by, when to grow certain foods at certain times. And to build by, the sphinx has been dated back 10, 000 years and its in line and facing towards side, the rise of the winter (i think can't remember) equonix, in the age of leo.
Christmas time, is an important event, in astrology, in europe they celebrate the winter solistic, the time when its the darkest and on the 3rd day, the sun starts rising (or Jesus is said to have risen after 3 days), when the light starts to be longer. When light overcomes darkness Smile
The 3 wise men, used astrology to make their way to Jesus, one just the one wise man bearing 3 gifts, it has been mentioned that they forsore events in the sky happening because they had information to work on, things recorded by prevarious learned men, and calculating where and what's to happen. You can do that if you have recorded information on events that happen in the past to predict events in the furture. Look at hayley's comet and other comets, you can look at the past recordings and predict when the next time it will arrive.

When you research or study astology will find this out, that life and what people celebrate in life is coming from astrology, and not the fortune telling part. I really hate it that this fortune telling has taken over because there is so much more to astology and its really interesting.

There was an article on the front of IC about astrology and islam, i agree with some of the stuff the writer mentions. Birth charts are complicated and you need your maths to work it out.  When you work out it you need to work it with the time and place of birth whether you are in the southern hemisphere or the northern because the skies are different. the seasons maybe different but its the skies that are the important part.

Edited by Angel - 07 May 2010 at 9:04pm
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2010 at 9:59am
I think we are going around in circles. I think majority of respondents say that astrology has no scientific validity to people. I along with several others have said it doesn't based on its lack of use of the scientific method. If this person continues to choose astrology over religion or astrology over science that is their choice. Can't nobody over the internet convince another to choose something different if their mind was already made up.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2010 at 3:19am
Yes, astrology in its current form is not a science. Its value is related to describing a phenomenon: personality traits of groups of people.

I think it's quite likely that people born in January in southern Australia have something in common with people born in July in southern Europe for example. To me the most likely scientific explanation are hormones and food. Hormones are influenced by sunlight and temperature. And often people eat different kinds of food in winter compared to summer. Science has also revealed that inadequate sunlight exposure of human skin cannot only lead to vitamin D deficiency, but also increases the risk of depression (which can have an influence on the unborn baby).

But all of this doesn't have anything to do with Uranus or distant stars.

Edited by Matt Browne - 25 April 2010 at 3:19am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic