IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 'Niqab Rage'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed'Niqab Rage'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

Chrysalis, in refering to adultery you say "Islam has a consistent & blanket policy on adultery. Thats better than having a confused, hypocritical attitude towards it."  I disagree.  It depends on whether the punishment fits the crime or if adultery should even be a crime. 

You are entitled to disagree of course, that is your opinin as Schmikbob.

However all major world religions, as well as a majority of people see adultery as an abhor-able social evil, which should be discouraged and deterred by law. Islamic Laws work on a holistic level. While the laws in place are severe, they also highlight the immense burden of proof required to prosecute an alleged adulterer. At the end of the day, it is not easy to prosecute someone for adultery.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 5:49pm
Chrysalis, in refering to adultery you say "Islam has a consistent & blanket policy on adultery. Thats better than having a confused, hypocritical attitude towards it."  I disagree.  It depends on whether the punishment fits the crime or if adultery should even be a crime. 

joeraman View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 9:49pm
give the detailed information on that topic.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 9:26pm

Who says adultery is or should be the business of the government?  As long as divorce law discourages adultery monetarily and with regards to custody of children that's good enough for the majority of people.  Do you feel that it is appropriate for someone to be tossed in jail for adultery?

But didn't you just give me an e.g. of how adultery can become the business of the government?

Quote Chrysalis, If you have ever sat through or read through transcripts of divorce proceedings as a result of infidelity you would absolutely know that the party that committed adultery will lose and suffer financially and with regards to visitation rights with children.  I would say that those are both definitive legal repercussions.  Also, in the US military, adultery is a court martial offense.

Adultery became a matter of public/political concern in the Bill Clinton trial, or that John Edwards guy. Why the hypocrisy? Why is adultery an offence in some cases and not in others? Unlike western governments, Islam has a consistent & blanket policy on adultery. Thats better than having a confused, hypocritical attitude towards it.

Quote Are you are saying that in Iran or Saudi Arabia, for example, it would be fine for someone to be a practicing member of Islam, then decide it was a bunch of hogwash,and decide to practice Hinduism or Christianity instead and the state would have no position on this. 

Iran/Saudia is not equal to Islam.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 9:17pm

Quote schmikbob: I also have no problem when other people comment.  However when people like abuayisha and Sign Reader comment (as in this case) they have a tendency to get completely off topic and post non-relavent anti everyone screeds.

I see. And didn't you yourself derail the topic from Niqab to Apostasy & Polygyny? Nobody called you out for that...

Chrysalis, you have written, "If a community wants to practice a certain code that does not infringe the rights of others... they have a right to, and should."  It sounds to me as though you think Islamic Law should supercede a nations laws.  Is this correct??  For example, do you feel that the followers of Islam in the United States should be able to take more than one wife???  After all, they are only affecting other members of Islam.  Or, as another example, do you feel that apostates should be dealt with according to Islamic Law???  

Edited by Chrysalis - 09 November 2010 at 9:19pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 6:35pm

Who says adultery is or should be the business of the government? 

Who says spanking should be the business of government?
Seems to me most people haven't a problem with moral laws such as murder and theft (thou shall not...), but when it comes to sexuality it shouldn't be government business.
Kindly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 6:30pm
Polygamy is not intended as a common practice and in the vast majority of cases there is no necessity for that step, therefore I do not mind it being forbidden in national law. Self governance has not been successful in this matter. Men often practice polygamy for selfish reasons. When/if the need for polygamy arises, this circumstances will be reminiscent of a state of emergency, in which case, for us Muslims Islamic practice will super-cede national law.

Let it be clear. Islamic rules will always be of higher priority than any legislation of man. However we do have an obligation to follow the laws of the country we reside, as long as they do not dictate unislamic practice. Therefore we try to, first and foremost, find a compromise, before we consider breaking the laws of our hosting nation.
Before jumping to conclusions about our loyalty, consider how many unlawful acts Muslims commit in their daily activities. Prayer, fasting, charity, interest free banking activity, consuming halal food, wearing Islamic garments. None of these are illegal acts.
Btw. Judaism allows polygamy as well ("If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights" Exodus 21:10")

Lastly, I do feel that it would be advantageous if national laws regulated adultery as well as polygamy. Adultery does not benefit any one in society, on the contrary, it does harm on spouses and children, and arguably on the adulterers themselves.
The vows one takes when getting married in a Christian church or before a civil entity (I, ____, take you, ____, to be my (husband/wife). I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad) are quite reminiscent of those takes before getting on the stand in court (swear to tell the truth, the whole trust...), which are a felony to break. Only natural that the pledge before the state and/or God, should be paralleled with those before the court and/or God.
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 5:59pm
schmikbob

"Do you feel that it is appropriate for someone to be tossed in jail for adultery?"

Well that statement is the whole root of the argument adultery vs plural marriage, you won't get thrown in jail for adultery yet, practicing plural marriage(a potential antidote to adultery) you will get thrown in jail

"Are you are saying that in Iran or Saudi Arabia, for example, it would be fine for someone to be a practicing member of Islam, then decide it was a bunch of hogwash,and decide to practice Hinduism or Christianity instead and the state would have no position on this. "

In her response Hayfa was addressing your original statement.

You had originally said "it sounds to me as though you think Islamic Law should supersede a nations laws"

..."do you feel that apostates should be dealt with according to Islamic Law?

Hayfa's response was based on the assumption you were still speaking about dealing with apostates in a non-Islamic country.

N.B.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic