IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - i believe Quran and Bible  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i believe Quran and Bible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ceo3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceo3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 9:50am
Dearest 2 acts,

None of the Prophets AS or books of religion condemned slavery. So it was allowed back then (re: Quran 70, 22-30). As for Hadith on this topic couldn�t find anything related in Sahih Bukhari, perhaps if you could quote an extract please.

What is fact, accepted definition is a thing that is known or proved true. Since neither you nor I was around in time of Muhammad SAW we rely on the accounts of men and women who were and on those who subsequently wrote on what they said or heard. I believe the correct terminology is you believe Muhammad SAW was so and so. Non-Muslims choose to believe certain books because if they didn�t, well they�d all have to revert. Similar we believe Jesus AS was a prophet and not son of God as per Quran and Hadith of Muhammad SAW. I was not there to witness it, it cannot be proved or observed nor is it generally accepted, therefore I believe it but it can�t be a fact.

For every book you bring that degrades the Prophet SAW I will bring one that praises him. No person will have any hard evidence to prove for or against the Prophet SAW. So say our witnesses are upright citizens (historians) giving equal testimony, there is no hard evidence, we would have no choice but to turn to reason and logic.

That I see as a weakness in Christianity, re: �welcoming the degradation� of the name of Jesus AS and Mary AS. Even Muslims scholars condemn this and defend the honour of Jesus AS and Mary AS. In this item of faith, Christianity and Islam differs considerably, you will turn the other cheek while we say no, you cannot bad mouth these great Servants of God.

Honesty can cause offence, it�s based on intent. Look at what Trump said about the Mexicans. Statistically, penitentiaries are filled with minorities, so he was being honest and factually correct but look at the offence he caused.

No fear of discussion but is it fair, read both sides of the life of Muhammad SAW, analyse your sources i.e.: characters of the men who write them and don�t regard as fact something which is impossible to prove. I can however understand that from an early age Christians are taught to stay away from the Quran and Sunnah, so if you were told something your whole life, it�s only natural that you will regard it as true. Muslims are encouraged to read all scriptures and revere all Prophets AS. These discussions have been going on for centuries, Surah 109. Al-Kafirun �1. Say: O disbelievers! 2. I worship not that which ye worship;3. Nor worship ye that which I worship.4. And I shall not worship that which ye worship.5. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. 6. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.� Only when Jesus AS descends and says he is a Muslim will this matter be settled.

I don�t see the relevance of discussing/not discussion Muhammad Him SAW as holding back Islam from developing. I do however see too much liberal thinking creeping into the church. Its seems the church�s desire to please man at the expense of God is the major cause of its disintegration. God�s law is systematically being altered to cater for all of mans whims and fancies.

Take homosexuality for example. Completely forbidden in all major faiths however I see Sects of Christianity as folding in to allow these practices in stark contrast to God�s Will. Is this the freedom of thought and speech you allow? Is this what you regard as development? Is our duty as people of faith not to save mankind from the whisperings of Satan? I�d much rather have my Islam remain in medieval era instead of changing one command of Quran and Sunnah. .

Getting back to �facts� about Muhammad SAW. So let�s try a different avenue, your opinions are no doubt from non-Muslim sources? What you won�t find is much about Muhammad SAW life pre-Islam from non-Muslim sources. Even Wikipedia states he was upright, honourable and trustworthy. Because back then he wasn�t a threat and they couldn�t find anything derogatory to say about Him SAW. As discussed above lets use reason and logic to analyse the life of Muhammad SAW. Muhammad SAW came from noble tribe of Quraysh. He was known as Al Alim, the trustworthy one. Nicknames were earned that time and there many reports of His honesty and truthfulness. He only married one woman who requested him to marry her. An intelligent, wealthy businesswoman. Why would an eligible bachelorette choose a man who did not respect woman? No reports from even non-Muslim sources that he so much as hurt anyone pre-Islam. He didn�t partake in any of the pagan customs. His SAW customers loved dealing with him which made him a very successful businessman.

Now if we turn to psychology, Sigmund Freud contended and most psychologists agree that personality and character gets more enhanced as we age. We don�t grow up being virtuous and then suddenly became tyrants. Perhaps a significant event could alter it, but at the time of revelation Muhammad SAW had a very comfortable existence and no �big� events would explain his character change to warrant the derogatory remarks.

Take care and kindest regards,

Saved View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by asep48garut60 asep48garut60 wrote:

Dear 786SalamKhan,

I just ordered by Allah to believe in all books revealed to the Apostles when they were alive that these books actually came from Allah, even believing in the books before the Quran was revealed, it's included into the pillars of faith in Islamic law.
Quran 3: 3 and Quran 4: 163

Keep in mind that believing in the books before the Quran it doesn't mean that now I have to follow all of what is on the books before.

Book I believe and I always try to run all His commandments is the Quran, because in it there's the promise of Allah about preserve its authenticity, as His word in 15:9.
The verse gives a guarantee of purity and authenticity of His words forever.

Regards.
Asep
How can you believe in the books before? The Bible and the Quran contradict one another. Just because a book is preserved, that doesn't mean it is the word of God. There are reasons to believe the Quran wasn't preserved as well as thought.

Edited by Saved - 20 March 2017 at 10:36am
Saved View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by syed_z syed_z wrote:

2Acts

I'm unable to make them hear who choose to remain deaf.

Thanks,
I cannot make those see who chose to remain blind
2Acts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Acts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Ceo3 Ceo3 wrote:

Appreciate the respect you show in dialogue.

Yes freedom of speech, I do however believe people of faith should guide one another as to terms of effective conversation.

The 'truth' you speak of is debatable. As we know there is always a bias in all history books depending on perspective. Also note some Jews at the time of Jesus AS and even today speak ill of Jesus AS and His Beloved mother Mary AS and consider that the 'truth'.

As for muslims, he is not of us if he speaks bad of any Prophet and as said we hold Jesus AS and Mary AS with the greatest of honor. Indeed AS after There names is abbreviation for Alahisalaams, means peace upon Them ie: a honor for all great servants of God invoking His peace and blessings upon them. We further believe we get rewarded for honoring the Great servants of God.

Peace and regards,

Hello Ceo.

I agree for the need for effective conversation. But that should not mean ignoring the facts.

No Ceo the history is not debatable. It is well documented in Muslim sources in the Quran and Sahih hadith. You find historical factual evidence of Mohamad
supporting his men to take women slaves and allowing his men to torture his enemies in Sahih Bukhari 3. 432 and the Quran 70.22-30.

Yes. It may be the case that Jews speak ill of Jesus and Mary but I have no problem in them expressing their point of view. In fact I welcome it and the discussion it may bring.

There is a difference between wanting to cause offence and be honest with the facts. It is this fear of discussion that holds the Muslim world from developing. In many ways Islam is still in the Medieval era because it cannot embrace freedom of thought and speech. Islam is too quick to brand any new thinking as blasphemy or apostasy. This is what keeps Islam back.

Peace and regards to you to Ceo.

Edited by 2Acts - 17 March 2017 at 4:26pm
Ceo3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceo3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 9:32am
Dear Airmano,

Lets focus each topic separately due to constraints.

Muhammad SAW

All faiths preach respect for fellow human being past or present, i merely asked for the same courtesy that we afford other religious figures.

Free will

"Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control.
It is determined for the insect, as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust,
we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.�
[Einstein: The Life and Times, Ronald W. Clark, Page 422.]

'No calamity befalls on the earth or in yourselves but is inscribed in the Book of Decrees (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz), before We bring it into existence. Verily, that is easy for Allah.' (Quran 57:22)

What happens to us, good or bad we believe God has pre destined. However choices are 100% our responsibility
If i ask you to raise your left hand, you have the choice to do it. God knew that you would or would not raise it.

Surah 112 v 4"and there is none comparable to Him".

God is not bound by the natures laws He created nor by time and space. In His Realm the universe has been destroyed already and at the same time its the beginning of creation.

There is no timeline and as such before any of creation only God was there and at end of this physical reality God is there. Now humans in our limited ability cant comprehend an all powerful being, even superman has a weakness.

Coming back to free will, doesn't mean that we cant create this (AI with moral consciences?) it cant exist. We create and choose our destinies only God knows and therefore rewards or punishes us for our choices. Think of God traveling faster than the speed of light, just He is not moving and light is a servant to Him. There is therefore no conflict between free will and God having knowledge of this realms past, present and future.

Just as one who decide to overindulge in liquor and face liver problems, the Religious text detail outcome of our deeds.

As for no traceable link to beginning of creation, as previously stated that is faith. If there was clear evidence we came from a man we would not be having this debate, everybody would believe and no point to anything. So a leap of faith if you will, is required to see the signs of God everywhere. For a person of faith science only further proves God's Absolute power and mercy, dna sequencing, space exploration ect.

Hell and Heaven are mentioned equal amount of times in the Quran. So God does not and cant take any pleasure from roasting any person. If He was so harsh, why he give those that deny His existence food and drink and great IQs wherewith to dispute Him? You made the choice dear sir to not believe and everybody that does have their reasons. There is no scientific basis for faith, but every civilisation of past believed in some sort of Deity with 75% of the worlds population believing in a higher power today, must mean something?

regards,

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 1:20pm
@CEO
As told, I was very busy over the last weeks....

Quote May I just ask that you reconsider your wording when mentioning Muhammad SAW(last paragraph). Muslims are forbiden to speak ill of any Prophet AS (if they do they not considered muslim) and we hold Jesus AS and His Disciples in the highest esteem.
Sure, but Christians do not consider Mohamed as a prophet.
In essence they look at him pretty much as 2Acts described him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's go in response to your post:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote You haven�t answered re: reading Quran cover to cover? It is lengthy and while not a pre-requisite, critically examining the Quran in totality, perhaps your view regarding this discussion point will be altered.
I read about a third, when I started to realize that I was wasting my time. Honestly I never saw anything more boring and self repeating than that, absolutely no useful info, more of a diary, only threats, and and the clear will of the author to leave no freedom (of thinking) whatsoever to the people. I browsed through the other two thirds, no sign of improvements. For me it is clear that this book was a way to impose absolute power (of Mohamed).
Sorry....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Abrogation

If I understand your comment correctly you do not object to the fact that Mohamed changed (you'd say 'improved') the Quran.
So it wasn't perfect before, no ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Preservation of the Quran
----------
Afzal Sumar is a Shiite scholar; it�s like me providing David Cameron to write an article on Brexit. Please if you could provide from Sunni source then we discuss further.
Do you seriously try to tell me that shiites can't read ? What I told you is not a matter of interpretation, it's factual. You can also consult the Wiki to see a list of changes.
Quote Protection of Quran and not Bible

I truly do not understand your answer to my question "Why did God protect the Quran and not the Bible". Can you try to rephrase it ?
ON:
Quote �how God can exist with human free will"
I don't feel as your Quran citation is an adequate answer.
May be I should rephrase my point to make it clear: One one side you claim that we have free will. So we are free to choose in a non deterministic way - otherwise we'd be puppets.
At the same time you claim God knows everything. This implies that from Gods perspective everything is deterministic, in conflict with above statement.
Thirdly: According to you God is almighty. So ultimately he must have created everything including us, even if the path of creation he has chosen is not retraceable for us.
As a consequence he created me as an unbeliever, knowing from even before my birth that he would [find great pleasure to] roast me in hell once I'm dead.
Does this really sound logical to you ?

Quote Micheal Heart

So we agree, his statement about Mohamed isn't worth a penny.

Quote When he went back to Makkah and conquered Makkah from people who tortured and killed his own family he forgave them all and not a drop of bloodshed. Surely if he was bloodthirsty they would have been the people to destroy (Am a bit short on non-Muslim sources on this event, hopefully your sources concur). Others did far less and were awarded Nobel Peace Prize.

Godness me, the Quraysh were his own tribe, that's why!
If you want to see his other face just look what happened to the Banu Qurayza.

Quote Yes the punishment seems severe///�just do the exercise�///, but looks at his actions (point above); if he was a hard person he would not have been as successful.
Good ideas win without killing. Einstein didn't go around to kill his opponents in order to impose his ideas, nor did Galilei nor Kopernikus.
Obviously his ideas were not overwhelming enough by themselves.
Quote Treason
-------------
SOURCE: Lings, M: Muhammad; his life based on the earliest sources pg 233.
This I believe was before Lings reverted. Some 900 men were convicted of treason and executed, woman and children spared. Interesting to note it was a Jew chief who gave to order in accordance with Jewish Tradition. Ito relying on different sources, history is word of the powerful.

No, Lings wrote that book after he converted.
I see you argument of "Jewish Tradition" and I would also accept that this kind of treatment was common practice at the time.

This implies however that -at least in this respect- Mohamed was nothing else than a typical warlord of his time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Thank you for the openness. With you being a man of science I find this intriguing, may I enquire as to what led to this conclusion \\\�possibility of another reality\\\�? This other reality we call the unseen.
Not so fast. I accepted the possibility of "other realities" on the basis of the limited knowledge that I/we have. This does however not imply that I accept ideas like 7 heavens, Angels -or worse- "Jinns" without the slightest evidence.
------------------------------------ --------------------------------------
Quote Evolution
You can't have both: If you think that Evolution Theory (ET) is real, Adam (as described) never existed, no other (reasonable) explanation possible.
If you deny ET you must really come up with very good alternative explanations to "overrule" the ten-thousands of observations which have been made in favour of ET

The same applies to Noah, there has never been a flood as described in the Quran/Bible, nor would a stone age man be able to build such a ship.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Eternal Questions
I can�t with the naked eye see gravity or air, but it exists otherwise id be dead and floating. I can�t see God but I have hope he will ensure ultimate justice.

That's ok, I do not hold the ultimate truth either. We can prove the presence of air and gravity but not the existence of God. Using the word 'hope' as you do, is a good starting point since it implies the absence of knowledge/proof for his existence.
Quote Similar a man who rapes and kills innocent children is sent away for life. Where is the justice even if he lives out his life in prison to the aggrieved? So God is the Great equaliser.
If so, he does a very bad job.
Either he lets these things happen on purpose or he is not almighty.

I do not see a third alternative. Do you ?
Quote � If I went to heaven and my kids to hell...�
If you raised your kids well you will all go to heaven.
Obviously you're not really tackling my question here. Implicitly you accuse all parents who's children "run wild" of being automatically guilty. Is this your point ? If not - could you try again ?

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 09 March 2017 at 1:58pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ceo3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceo3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 9:40pm
Appreciate the respect you show in dialogue.

Yes freedom of speech, I do however believe people of faith should guide one another as to terms of effective conversation.

The 'truth' you speak of is debatable. As we know there is always a bias in all history books depending on perspective. Also note some Jews at the time of Jesus AS and even today speak ill of Jesus AS and His Beloved mother Mary AS and consider that the 'truth'.

As for muslims, he is not of us if he speaks bad of any Prophet and as said we hold Jesus AS and Mary AS with the greatest of honor. Indeed AS after There names is abbreviation for Alahisalaams, means peace upon Them ie: a honor for all great servants of God invoking His peace and blessings upon them. We further believe we get rewarded for honoring the Great servants of God.

Peace and regards,
2Acts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Acts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Ceo3 Ceo3 wrote:

Dear 2Acts,

Many thanks for the extensive reply. As a newbie to this specific topic on inter faith dialogue appreciate getting Christian persfective especially wrt the translation of ancient Biblical text.

May I just ask that you reconsider your wording when mentioning Muhammad SAW(last paragraph). Muslims are forbiden to speak ill of any Prophet AS (if they do they not considered muslim) and we hold Jesus AS and His Disciples in the highest esteem.

Take care and Kind regards..

Thankyou Ceo for your reply.
Yes inter faith dialogue can be challenging and interesting.I am not out to cause offence. However facts and truth are important. Any figure in history � prophet or not needs to be assessed by their lives. Everything I said about Mohamad was fact. He killed with the sword. He let his men take women slaves. He allowed his men to torture his enemies. These are facts.
Again I do not want to cause offence. But truth is necessary.

Kind regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic