IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - pregnancy-related help  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pregnancy-related help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aamna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pregnancy-related help
    Posted: 24 June 2006 at 1:08pm
asalam alaikum sisters,
we recently found out that we are pregnant.. it was unplanned and unintended, but i am still happy with the pregnancy because it's a blessing from Allah.   the only thing is my husband and i are both still students in college and can barely support ourselves.  my husband has 3 years left for his pharmD degree inshaAllah, and i got accepted to start in the fall also. but i'm more concerned about him finishing school than me because he will be the future provider for our new family, so i definitely want him to continue and finish on time.  i'm trying to find a job, i've sent my resume to so many different places but no one even calls me back.  our families don't know yet and we are pretty sure there will be little support from their side because of family problems going on right now.  so we are probably all on our own in this pregnancy.

my question is.. does anyone know about help for low income pregnant women - ie, assistance from others.. like assistance from the government, state programs, masjids, etc?  i've already got medicaid covered.  i am in new york.  but i don't know about any other programs or people that can help me. 

Edited by aamna
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 1:55pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sister:

Almost anyone can get on WIC. It is a program that gives you nutritious food: milk, cheese, cereal, juice, beans, tuna, and I think they have added fruit. It is free, and it is a large amount of food. You can get it while pregnant, nursing, and for the baby up until 5 years old, I believe. This is the link with info: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/

You might also be eligible for food stamps. http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 2:21pm

If you need rent, food and other help.  My Church helps no matter what religion you are and they are not to proselyte to Muslims.  If you need help.  I can get you the name of the local Bishop in your area.  We have food stores, help with everything from diapers, formula and clothes.  I know a woman who belongs to an evangelical group that is getting aid without being a member and I know we send alot overseas in partnership with Muslim organizations.  They will help you budget your income and cover the essentials.  They can't help with loans or car payments but they will help with Utilities, Rent, etc.  Its worse for Members to use, because we're still expected to pay our tithing and do volunteer hours to help the Church.  That would not be expected of you.

Muslima View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 2:55pm

Sister, go to the mosque as well. Muslims usually give Zakat and also, before end of Ramadan, they have to give Fitra, a smalla mount of money to a Muslims who live where they have fasted.

People at the mosque could give it to you.

Salam

Allah Ou Akbar!
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 4:16pm

Originally posted by aamna aamna wrote:

asalam alaikum sisters,
we recently found out that we are pregnant.. it was unplanned and unintended, but i am still happy with the pregnancy because it's a blessing from Allah.   the only thing is my husband and i are both still students in college and can barely support ourselves.  my husband has 3 years left for his pharmD degree inshaAllah, and i got accepted to start in the fall also. but i'm more concerned about him finishing school than me because he will be the future provider for our new family, so i definitely want him to continue and finish on time.  i'm trying to find a job, i've sent my resume to so many different places but no one even calls me back.  our families don't know yet and we are pretty sure there will be little support from their side because of family problems going on right now.  so we are probably all on our own in this pregnancy.

my question is.. does anyone know about help for low income pregnant women - ie, assistance from others.. like assistance from the government, state programs, masjids, etc?  i've already got medicaid covered.  i am in new york.  but i don't know about any other programs or people that can help me. 

Bismillah,

Congratulations!  If you need moral support or pregnancy/baby advice, we have plenty of that right here.  If you need a specific thing, people here have suggested setting up a baby profile (I know that's not the exact name!) at Target or Walmart with a list of things you need so that maybe people on this forum could send it to them and you would pick it up at the store near you.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Originally posted by aamna aamna wrote:

asalam alaikum sisters,

Bismillah,

Congratulations!  If you need moral support or pregnancy/baby advice, we have plenty of that right here.  If you need a specific thing, people here have suggested setting up a baby profile (I know that's not the exact name!) at Target or Walmart with a list of things you need so that maybe people on this forum could send it to them and you would pick it up at the store near you.

Peace

Salaams:

Great idea Sister Herji! Do set it up at the store of your  choice, a forum baby shower!

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 5:18pm

Bismillah,

Peace

Salaams:

Great idea Sister Herji! Do set it up at the store of your  choice, a forum baby shower!

Assalamu Alaikum:

This is a great idea. That way you can share what you get, always fun, and we can be anonymous, good for us....

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 4:59am

Bismillah,

Oh, it is Sister Angela's idea which she mentioned to another sister a while ago.  Yes, a good idea!  However, as Angela explained to us, the person having the baby sets it up and informs her friends.  She is the only one who has her personal information and exact baby needs.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic