IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where is the Injeel?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where is the Injeel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 10:57am

Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

David, of course you can believe as you wish, but, for Muslims, Allah is very clear about this life being a test.  

Yes, life is a test of sorts.  I'm still just baffled why he would protect one Prophet's word so stringently and allow is other Prophet's words to be twisted.

All is by the power and will of God?  Why would God make is so that a majority of his creations were doomed to hellfire?  What purpose does that serve him?  Wouldn't he want the majority to return to him?

He's perfect, he doesn't need worshippers.  He needs nothing, he is everything.  He doesn't need our prayers, we need him.  He demands there shall be no Gods before him.  So, why allow for the creation of a Prophet through a virgin birth and then allow those teachings to be twisted into giving him a son?  I know he's got a smite button.  He's used it.  Why not strike Paul done for his blasphemy and be merciful to all those he taught?  Why not allow the destruction of the Christians at the hands of their enemies if they were committing the unforgivable sin of Shirk and allow the blasphemy to continue and spread?

As you can see, I'm in a mood today....a very sour mood.  I cannot see how a God of supreme power, love and mercy would intentionally allow for so many of his creations to have to suffer his wrath and burn in hellfire.

AnnieTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 11:34am

Originally posted by BMZ BMZ wrote:

Angela wrote:

I'm looking forward to your elloboration.  The statement that the Injeel is in the Gospels but not the Gospels is kinda a cop out.  (sorry sweetie)  Why would any being allow for his message to be corrupted so? 

Angela, I have not elaborated yet. I have not even said much. Please bear with me. There is no cop out.

Angela wrote:

Many muslims argue with me on the Gospels because they were written anywhere from 20-100 years after the Crucifixion, they are complete fabrications.

For 50 years or so there were no gospels. Only Paul's letters were flying around. Qur'aan was already in the hearts and minds of Prophet's companions, while what Jesus preached was not even memorised in the hearts of his disciples at all. They had narrated to others who had narrated to some others till there were so many gospels written by many people. 

Not true, BMZ.  All the Gospels with possibly the Gospel of John were written prior to 70AD.  Luke is thought to have been written around 64AD.  If Mark was written first it would have been written prior to 64AD, possibly in the mid-to late 50's.

Jesus' disciples did memorize his sayings.  This was very typical of Jews.  They memorized and recited.

There is some evidence that some of Muhammad's companions did not know all of the verses and could not recite them properly.

Paul's letters were not "flying around."  They were written to specific churches for specific reasons.  There is no evidence that all churches in existence had those letters.

In case of Qur'aan, whether it took 5 years or 150 years or 500 years, it was written down with all verses as revealed to Muhammad. Qur'aan was not written down by various authors telling stories.

That has no bearing on its truthfulness.  What you have is the testimony of one man.  Christianity has the testimony of 500 and more.

So much was written by men that the preaching and teachings of Jesus became like "salt in the flour" and more gospels were neeeded to find what he taught. Men who wrote the gospels are not even known by their real names and identities. No one truly knows who wrote what and for who. Matthew wrote for Matthew, Luke wrote for Peter, John wrote for John or Paul. No one knows. Even Christian scholars agree on this. 

Again, you are historically wrong.  Matthew wrote Matthew, Mark wrote Peter's testimony, Luke wrote the testimony of many, John wrote his gospel.  There are no other "gospels" needed to find out what Jesus taught.  Take a look at some of the non-canonical books.  They say that Jesus died on the cross, rose from the dead, was the Messiah, died for our sins and made Jesus more divine that the 4 gospels do.

Can we believe that,"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." this was taught and preached by Jesus? This was the view of John, not Jesus. Hence, we can say that this was not the Injeel. 

Yes, we can.  Don't forget that John was an apostle of Jesus'.  They spoke of many things.  It is very evident that Jesus considered himself to be divine in the claims that he made and in the reaction of the Jews who encountered this claim.

Injeel is what Jesus taught and preached. Jesus only preached and taught. What did he teach? He taught the Torah. The Book Torah was his book. What Jesus taught and preached is the Injeel, a knowledge full of wisdom, that was given to him by God.

I have already written up some of what Jesus taught.  Cite the verses in the Gospel where Jesus taught the Torah and explain what he taught about the Torah. 

When we read the statement,"Thou shall worship only thy Lord God.", we know that was spoken by Jesus and we accept it as Injeel.

Yes, he taught that.  I think it would take about 4 or 5 seconds to say those words.  Do you think he repeated them continually for 3 years and said nothing else?

The entire stories written about him and the people are not what he taught. As such they cannot be Injeel.

Such as?  It is very important to know the reactions and thoughts of those who heard him preach.  It is vital.  Besides teaching that he was bringing in the kingdom of God, he taught that he would die and rise again.  He was seen risen by his apostles.  His brother James became a believer after seeing Jesus after he arose from the dead.  Three thousand people because Christians on the day of Pentacost.

Angela wrote:

Now, given that Moses (pbuh) supposedly wrote the Torah (which included the 1st 5 books of the Old Testament) and that Muhammed (pbuh) wrote down the Quran as it was revealled, why did Christ not write down the Injeel????

His followers never bothered to write it down during his short ministry. 

I think you are again mistaken.  It is inconceivable that Jesus' followers did not write down his sayings and his parables.  Many were scribes and it was there job to write things down.

After he was long gone, then it started by Paul taking the lead role as fast as he could, by circulating his letters.

Again you are wrong.  James took the lead.  Paul's letters were written to specific churches based on their needs as said above.

Only then people realised and started writng but men's messages grew in size more than the messages and teachings of Jesus. 

What?  Now you are making stuff up.

Initially it was all oral teachings and everyone had some parchments but not the entire teachings.

Yes, Jesus' gospel was preached orally.  On what historical basis do you claim "everyone had some parchments but not the entire teachings?"

One can see serious differences among Paul, Barnabas and the elders at Jerusalem.

Such as?  The apostles in Jerusalem gave Paul and Barnabas their blessings.

Had people followed his true teachings and preachings, there would not have been any need for so many gospels to have been written by many and there would have been no need to have even four gospels canonised.

What were Jesus' "true teachings."  He taught that he would die and rise again and he did.  This is recorded in all 4 gospels.  The reason for 4 gospels is that each wrote to a different audience�the same message.  Matthew to the Jews others to the Gentiles, for instance.

In short, the gospels do contain the teachings and preaching of Jesus but they contain more material from men.

So what?  The men agreed with Jesus.

That is why, all Hadith literature was kept away from Qur'aan to make sure that the Word of God did not get mixed with the words of men.

They why don't you throw out all of the Hadith literature?  Why keep it?  Why read it?

Angel, hope you are reading this. And Angela, I hope you got me right this time!  

I hope that both read my corrections on your mistakes.

Edited by AnnieTwo
14If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified. 1 Peter 4

AnnieTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Angela}<br>
<br>
<font color=#ff00cc face=Courier New, Courier, mono>The reason the
Council of Nicea was called was to combat the many heresies that were
happening.  By canonizing which books were the most authentic and
rejecting the ones that were the most unreliable, they gave the ability
for the spreading of the word without worry of Gnostic Heresies and
such to leak into the larger Church. [/QUOTE Angela}

The reason the Council of Nicea was called was to combat the many heresies that were happening.  By canonizing which books were the most authentic and rejecting the ones that were the most unreliable, they gave the ability for the spreading of the word without worry of Gnostic Heresies and such to leak into the larger Church. [/QUOTE wrote:

It is true that the Council of Nicea was called to combat heresies.  The issue before the council was Arianism.

However, the Council of Nicea had nothing to do with selecting or rejecting books.  They were in wide circulation by the early 200's.

It is true that the Council of Nicea was called to combat heresies.  The issue before the council was Arianism.

However, the Council of Nicea had nothing to do with selecting or rejecting books.  They were in wide circulation by the early 200's.

Annie
14If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified. 1 Peter 4

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 11:59am
Thank you for the gentle correction, Ummziba.  The word trial can be taken different ways, but your point is quite clear.

My personal interpretation is it's more like a trial run of a new machine.  You run it, see where it fails, fix it and try again.  This fits well with Christian forgveness, but it can see where it doesn't quite fit the Quran.

Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 1:16pm

Fatima you misunderstood what I said. Of course I personally know I cannot understand the wisdom of God. Of course I personally know what God will do between 12:00am and 8:00pm. However as it is theologically implied, God is the most knowledgable force in the universe. Commenting on Islamic theology, it is understood that God knows everything. He knows the potential, the actual. So my question to you since you are convinced of this theology and since you have shown that you are convinced yourself. How can you say God allows room for change if God knowledge doesn't change? Meaning, since he knows the future and knows what the end result is how does he is there freewill?

We may not know the wisdom of God but since this theology is comprehensible it is consequentially embedded in our minds of the kind of knowledge God may have. This, thus leads us to our position here now concerning the gospels.

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 3:40pm
I get BMZ's point about the injeel being a subset of the gospels.

I think a starting point might be the Sermon on the Mount, which begins in Matthew 5.

The Quran:
5:46 And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah.

Matthew 5:17
Do not think that I have come to do away with or aundo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them.
Matt. 5:18 For truly I tell you, until the sky and earth pass away and perish, not one smallest letter nor one little hook [identifying certain Hebrew letters] will pass from the Law until all things [it foreshadows] are accomplished.

This seems to be a point, and a significant one, where the Islamic criterion is useful
Quran 3:3

It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong).

The Quran itself states the Gospel is inaccurate in some way, and to use the criterion (Quran) to discern what is valid.  Based on the Sermon on the mount and Quran 5:46 this part of the gospel seems to be a likely candidate for acceptance by Islam. 

Why not start here, and save John 6:40 for another day?
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 9:17pm

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

sister angela two things we need to remember is the existance of free will on which judgement is going to take place and presence of shaytan. From very start shaytan confused human beings to lead them astray. Humans under his influence changed things from original state. We are told that idolatory started as a form of remembering the noble by making thier statues. Later generation forgot the real purpose behind this and shaytan made it easy for them to accept them as gods. Allah swt being Most Mercifull kept reinforcing to show us the real path. Now there is also an appointed term for the creation after which we have to return to our Lord, The Mos High, for accountibility. So ProphetHood had to a have an ending, so to make things fair, He promised us that He would protect the Last Message.

Now your second point about Isa (as) birth, well again dont you think its a trickery of shaytan that only possible explanation to many people is that naudhubillah he is son of god. Allah swt says in Holy Quran that for Him example of Isa (as) is like that of Adam (as). Allah swt made Adam (as) from dust and He made Hawwa from the rib of Adam. So why this birth of Isa (as) cannot be another example of His Most Perfect ability to create whatever He will, however He wills. Again it was a miracle for people who were very hard to please. So when they see this they believe but again their wrongdoings took them to other extreme.

Now your last point of why not punishing the culprut straighaway to show the right from wrong. Allah swt says is Holy Quran that He gives respite to wrongdoers to see the length of their disbelief and show people that their long life did not help them least. Another thing which i think is quite important is that religion is faith, a belief from the sight of heart. If every part of it would have been undenyable than life would not have been a trial. Water is colourless for every one, no point arguing about that. If Allah swt would have hit the culprits with the punishment then following true teaching of Isa (as) would not have been faith but the aparent, the cerainity.

Lastly I pray that this burning question are result of shaytan's handywork because shaytan only strikes where he thinks a light, a desire of finding the light. Pray that Allah swt leads you to His true guidance, ameen

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 9:32pm

Brother israfil

Allah swt says in Holy Quran, [39:42] Allah takes the souls at the time of their death, and those that die not during their sleep; then He withholds those on whom He has passed the decree of death and sends the others back till an appointed term; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect.

And also, '[31:34] Surely Allah is He with Whom is the knowledge of the hour, and He sends down the rain and He knows what is in the wombs; and no one knows what he shall earn on tomorrow; and no one knows in what land he shall die; surely Allah is Knowing, Aware.

Allah swt has also told us in many places in Holy Quran that Sayyidina Muhammad (saw) is the last Prophet. These are only three examples of His perfect knowledge of what to take place. He knows the time of last hour, the appointed term, because he knows how things are going to span out. As He knows how people are going to react to Prophets (as) and when they will currupt the real teachings so when the new teachings are going to be needed.

Now His perfect knowledge and His will dont inhibit our free will. His will is giving us sight and option of able to chose either good or bad. It is upto us what we choose but with His perfect knowledge He knows what we going to choose. Take example of behaviour psychology, even though you present a little child with many options, kids most likely would respond in a manner we would expect. You give them option of watching a cartoon or some documentary, 9 out of 10 is cartoons. This is what us limited, finite beings can predict, who only know through experience, cant really read the mind of a child. Now think about our dear Lord, Most High, He said in Holy Quran that He is closer to us than our jugular vein, He is between us and our heart, He knows what our ownself whispers to us. So why is it strange for you to acknowledge the fact that He knows our choices.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic