IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Things I find hard since coming to Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things I find hard since coming to Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christine123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 8:09am
Maria,

Can you practice on your own or have some private lessons with a female teacher?

Maybe you could teach an all female class? I'm sure many parents would like their young girls to learn ballet.

What about Sufi dances? From what I've seen, their clothing is modest. There is a lot of spinning and, given your ballet experience, you would be quite good at!

These are just some thoughts I had.

Peace,
C
safi70 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safi70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 10:55pm
salam ayda,Smile

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading this post. I feel like you read my mind and were talking about my experiences. I am also a revert, since 2005. I find it difficult to make muslim friends because only a few have showed any interest in helping me. I even wrote to the imam at the mosque and I did not even get a reply. I make an effort to smile and say salam when i see muslimas and most of them just look straight faced or turn their heads. I felt very rejected. But, I have made one good friend who is also my neighbor and she is very kind and helpful. It is a difficult transition, but well worth it to me.

I also changed my name(not legally and only when I am with some other muslims) I felt fake and silly, to be honest, calling myself by a name I could not relate to, and  I realize now that I don't need to change my name. It is an insult to my parents who chose my name for me. My name has nothing to do with my faith, so I have decided not to use it  after I read your post.
 Anyway, i just wanted you to know that your post made me feel like I was not alone..Shukran.

wasalam
sonya
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 7:19pm
Salaams,

Yes it was an excellent post an encompassed many of my experiences... I live in a big city and feel connected to one person here.. More friends through the internet... Going to the masjid is stressful.. i tend not to go.. women, i think more then men, do cliques.. i feel like saying, anyone want to go play basketball... just something to break the ice and not worry about 'conversing'  about something.. People talk about subjects, like their lives, but not amongst strangers..

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Duane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 5:11pm
as salamu alaikum
I am a new revert.  Well for a few years now.  I am from a catholic family in a mormon state.  Things I miss...  I think, feeling accepted.  I have been doing most of my learning alone.  I suppose that is why am decided to come here.  I dont know other muslims.  I have prayed at a masjid that is about 12 miles away when I can find a way there.  I have been let go from several jobs because I will not compromise my beliefs and morals but I am OK with that.  I have lost most everything in this world to this point, for the sake of the next.  I dont miss alot in the rituals of christmas and things like that.  What I do miss is the emotional human bond of religious beliefs and brotherhood.  Ya know.  Person to person.  By the way I am also a person with BiPolar disorder.  Most of the symptoms completely went away when I turned to Islam.

Edited by Duane - 27 March 2009 at 5:16pm
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 11:52am
Salaams Duane,

Welcome to the Forum.

I agree with emotional bonding..
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Duane Duane wrote:

as salamu alaikum
I am a new revert.  Well for a few years now.  I am from a catholic family in a mormon state.  Things I miss...  I think, feeling accepted.  I have been doing most of my learning alone.  I suppose that is why am decided to come here.  I dont know other muslims.  I have prayed at a masjid that is about 12 miles away when I can find a way there.  I have been let go from several jobs because I will not compromise my beliefs and morals but I am OK with that.  I have lost most everything in this world to this point, for the sake of the next.  I dont miss alot in the rituals of christmas and things like that.  What I do miss is the emotional human bond of religious beliefs and brotherhood.  Ya know.  Person to person.  By the way I am also a person with BiPolar disorder.  Most of the symptoms completely went away when I turned to Islam.

Walaikum Salam Duane,

I was very happy to read you. Masha Allah ! you possess a very strong faith.  This line of yours made me conclude that-  I have been let go from several jobs because I will not compromise my beliefs and morals but I am OK with that.

May Allah swt help us attain us faith. Ameen. You are ok with it.

May Allah swt soon, facilitate you with brotherhood. Ameen

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 3:48pm
Asalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu..
To all, you are an inspiration. I salute you and wish for you the best. Insha'allah you will all have the strength to prevail and insist on your rights when visiting a mosque to be treated courteously and to be respected  as a Muslim or Muslima.
I was born a muslim daughter of a Turkish mother and american revert father. I have blue eyes and a rather english build (my mother was slight like her grandmother, I have the larger frame of an English great grandmother). I was not really an active Muslima until just before 9/11 when I actively decided to start wearing the hijab. So I had rarely been to an american mosque. I had been weekly to the mosque in Ankara and Instanbul where I grew up till the age of 15, and was never treated as if I were different. After all, many Balkan muslims have blue eyes and my build. But going to the mosque here in the US was a new experience.
 I live primarily for the time being in a college town near the US/Mexican border. It is a city of a primarily democrat society which embraces 2 major languages as native: spanish and english. This is a very tolerant city as the state I live in has a high ethnic diversity rate.
When I first visited the mosque, I was disappointed. many of the sisters in the stifling room cut off from the view of the person giving the kutbah would rudely not return the customary greeting, they went on loudly in their conversation in arabic and seemed oblivious to the fact that they were not allowing others who were trying to listen to the khutbah to do so. One even had the nerve to ask me why I came to the masjid, I should go worship "with others of my kind". I was so put off i returned to traveling with my husband who is shia to the shia mosque in the city 100 miles to our north on Fridays. And the mosque I had visited was sunni, as am I.
Today, I am a member of this mosque and am a moderator for the listserve group for the converts group of sisters that live in this community.
There is currently new construction to create an open area for the sisters who wish to see the areas of the mosque.  I have furthered my education into multicultural education in oirder to fulfill this role. Just this past year 2 american convert sisters where elected to the executive commitee of this Islamic center. We have a openminded and accepting Imam that wishes to stifle the intolerance and misunderstanding and who is teaching the new "back to basics" for islam classes weekly.
Converts and those native born do make a difference. We need to educate our immigrant muslims that Islam is based on the universal Ummah, and show them how That many of the practices they embrace are of their cultural origin and are not teachings of Islam. Just as in Saudi Arabie where some cite that it is Islamic for women to not be allowed to drive a car, I challenge them to explain why the scholar and wife of the prohet, Aisha (may she be at peace) directed a war while riding and controlling her own camel. What is the difference between a car and a camel? Just time. They both are modes of transportation.
Please continue to seek knowledge and educate others where appropriate, and remember that sometimes those who seem rude are often just not educated!

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Duane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 10:16am
Aas salamu alaikum.

Thank you Hayfa and seekshidayath for the welcome, and the words.  Welcome Mariyah.  It is to bad that some men and women are put off when they go to the masjid.  I was blessed with a great first experience.  I believe your last line about education plays a large role in what you talked about.  I am new here but have found nothing but good. 
Duane
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic