U.S. Muslims express concern over freezing of assets of Muslim relief organizations
(Los Angeles, CA - 12/26/2001) - American Muslim Political Coordination Council (AMPCC) Chairman Dr. Maher Hathout apprised the Muslim community of actions being taken in response to freezing of assets of Muslim relief organizations.
AMPCC is comprised of the heads of all the major Muslim Political organizations
Dr. Hathout indicated that AMPCC issued a statement and also sent a letter to the U.S. Department of Justice highlighting the following important issues:
1. As donors, members of the American Muslim Community need to be sure that their money was dispersed in the intended way. That is why members of the American Muslim ask for full disclosure of the financial transactions of such organizations.
2. Members of the Muslim Community ask our government to identify a third neutral but credit-worthy party, a Muslim organization, to take charge of the funds and disperse them to the intended poor and orphan children and families as was intended in the first place.
3. Members of the American Muslim Community urge the government to use the due process and the courts of law, not the court of media, to litigate any illegal conduct perpetrated by such organizations.
4. The American Muslim Community, represented by The AMPCC, are urged to take steps to establish alliances with civil liberties organizations and leaders of other faiths in order to seek their support in these difficult times.
E-mail - Attorney General, John Ashcroft, at [email protected] (with a copy to [email protected])
Phone - Attorney General at 202-514-2001
Alternate Phone - Office of the Attorney General 202-353-1555
Snail-Mail - Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20530-0001.
You may write one letter (see below) and get signatures from community or family members and send a collective letter. Please try to mail a photocopy to The President, AMPCC, Care of MPAC, 3010 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 217, Los Angeles, California 90010.
TIPS & Suggestions:
- Please remember to copy your emails to [email protected]. This will help AMPCC representatives to take your concerns to the Department of Justice. Each email is important. Do not think that it will not make a difference!
- If you prefer to call, be polite but be firm. Give your name, city you are calling from and then record your concerns without demanding answers.
- Launch a signature campaign in your community. Write a letter using the sample or write your own, enlarge a copy, post it on your Masjid bulletin board to let everyone know the content and then seek signatures from your community members. Make sure, you mail a copy to AMPCC at the above address.
- Participate in IslamiCity Discussion Board/Readers' opinions and record your phone call experience and share your knowledge with others.
- Invite your colleagues and friends to participate in this discussion for educational purposes. Guide them to the Discussion Forum at IslamiCity.
United States Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW,
Washington, DC 20530-0001,
Respected Attorney General,
We greet you with the universal greeting of Islam, Assalamu Alaykum (Peace be onto you).
We appreciate the support you have given the Muslim community in containing the backlash in the aftermath of the tragedy of 9/11.
Re: the freezing of accounts of Muslim Relief Agencies (Holy Land Foundation, Global Relief Foundation and Benevolence International Foundation) we ask that you use your good offices for the following.
1. That, our government, with the help of American Muslim Political Coordination Committee, to identify another Muslim organization to take charge of the (frozen) funds and disperse them to the intended poor and orphan children and families as was intended in the first place.
2. That, we urge our government to use the due process and the courts of law, not the court of media, to litigate any illegal conduct perpetrated by such organizations, when proven guilty beyond reason of doubt.
We hope and pray that your office shall serve justice as it should be served.
Deeply, we should ask ourself, Is Bush administrators sincere in helping people of Afganistan in the long term or may be they have hidden motives behind these smiling faces after they have destroyed the country to ashes?
Any form of injustice done by over freezing of assets of any organisations is seen as suppresive and uncivilise act.
What are they afraid of, Mr Osama or the Muslims?
Enough is enough!
I HAVE BEEN A MUSLIM NOW FOR ALMOST 8 YEARS. AND I WAS SICK TO MY STOMACH WHEN I SAW OUR ORGAN-
IZATIONS BEING CLOSED DOWN. AND THERE ARE SO MANY STARVING PEOPLE OUT THERE. WE NEED THESE ASSETS TO
BE UNFROZEN AND PROPERLY DISPERSED,IN-SHA-ALLAH. HOW CAN EVEN THE NON-MUSLIM AGREE TO ALL OF THESE RESTRICTIONS ON HUMANITY AND LOOK THOSE INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE FACE AND TURN AWAY. I SOMETIMES FEEL HELPLESS WHEN THIS STUFF IS HAPPENING. BUT THANK ALLAH FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SPEAKING OUT AND TRYING TO CHANGE THIS SITUATION. JOHN ASHCROFT HAS A PERSONNEL CONNECTION TO THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY. IN THAT HIS SON IS ENGAGED TO A WOMAN WHOS SISTER IS A REVERT TO ISLAM AND DRESSES IN APPROPRIATE ISLAMIC ATTIRE. ALHUMDULLAH.. THIS MAY IN SOMEWAY GIVE HIM MORE SYMPATHY TO THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY IN-SHA-ALLAH. AS A MUSLIM COMMUNITY WE NEED TO MAKE DUA IN THIS EFFORT AND FOR THE WHOLE OF ISLAM, THAT ALLAH BRINGS US TOGETHER AS A UMMAH AND WE TEACH THE NON BELIEVERS TRUE ISLAM. ASSALUM-ALAKUM
I would rather have a ______ in the white house. She will do a better job for all people.
ITS SIMPLE...THIS IS A WAR AGAINST ISLAM LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!!!!
THE US GOVERNMENT CAN WRAP IT ANYWAY THEY WISH WITH THEIR DOUBLE TALK AND LIES, THE USA AND ISRAEL HAVE CONSPIRED TO CONQUER ISLAM AND ITS PEOPLE. WAKE UP MUSLIMS, STOP BEING APOLOGETIC AND WISHY WASHY...THEY THREATEN YOU WITH TAKING AWAY YOUR COMFORTS WHILE OUR BROTHERS LANGUISH IN JAILS AND ARE MISTREATED. THEY THREATEN THE LIVES OF OUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN, THEY TAKE THE MONIES WE GIVE TO CHARITIES, SOON THEY WILL TAKE OVER THE MASJIDS...WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO SACRIFICE TO MAKE SURE THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN....THEY ARE AGAINST US AND ATTACKING OUR WAY OF LIFE..WHAT WILL WE DO?? ASK YOURSELF!!!!!
We all feel sympathy for you guys who can't defend there faith because of bribes...
reflected on the needy muslim families by freezing the assets of muslim relief organizations
I have nothing but words of encouragment and support of your hard works . Your letter is very diplomatic and to the point and represents my concerns as well.
I am sure this letter and any other PEACEFULLY,ORGANIZED and UNITED efforts that makes our UNITED VOICE beeing heard will make a difference and gives us CREDIBILITY.
I am looking farward to the response.
and of threatening a california congressman of
harm but the assets of JDL has not been frozen
is this equal justice. I agree with Islamic City
that the court of law should be used not the CNN
to conduct the judicail proceeding
government would not look into each
foundation on a per basis and not as a whole.
Many foundations should be questioned also
including the victim's fund among various
It should be mentioned being moderate doesn't mean weakness, it just shows the tolerance level that the Prophet has taught us to do in such crisis. I hope we'll all have the patience and commitment to deal in these conspiaracies and situations.
May Allah help us to patient, and we're with all the brothers and sisters who are trying to establish and inform Allah's Deen.
In my humble opinion, I think what needs to be done now is for the Muslim organizations to be more vocal and put their brains and resources together and ask the government to handle these issues in due legal process and address where anything went wrong dealing with that duly without sweeping generalizatons.
I do not think writing letters is an effective means of use of our resources. We need to ask the US government to provide the accounting records of any such foundations and we need to hire what is called the FORENSIC ACCOUNTANTS which will go thru the records to pinpoint any wrong doings.
We as the donators to these organizations have the rights to the records.
We also need to hire lobbiest in DC area without actual American warm-body presence talking the DC language we will not be effective.
Lobbiest cost around $15k/month and forensic accountants another $10k/month. Usually the lobbiest is also a lawyer so you can save that cost.
However, I should mention that we have eyewitnessed recklessness in the use of sadagha and zakat money in USA. So I would like to have an air of caution not to overly back some organization untill we have seen the books.
We need to be very brave: non-emotional, professional and seek also to destroy the evil in amongst ourselves.
If I can be of any help please contact me and INSHALLAH this matter be resolved to the Pleasure of Allah
I AM SENDING MONEY TO SPONSOR A CHILD IN AFGANISTAN, AND PLEASE I WILL LIKE THIS CHILD FROM AFGANISTAN GET HIS MONEY. I AM SENDING THIS MONEY TO BIF, BENEVOLENCE. IT WILL BE VERY BAD IF THIS KIDS DON'T RECEIVED THEIR MONEY.
MARTHA E MANTILLA
Here's my input to the AMPCC statement:
1)Statement quote "American Muslim Community need to be sure that their money was dispersed in the intended way" ... My feedback ... This implies that Muslims 'doubt' and if it's the case ... then Uncle Sam has already won the war. My suggestion ... please do not grill these charity institutions any more than they're already grilled. Support them please. No one asks or have ever asked Red Cross, United Way and alikes to "prove".
2) Statement quote ... "a third neutral but credit-worthy party, a Muslim organization" ... My feedback ... Muslims must reserve exclusive right of deciding who'll be that neutral Muslim organization & not otherwise.
God bless & help Muslims to rightfully get what's theirs.