5 ways to extend the benefits of Ramadan beyond Ramadan
1. Fasting the six days of Shawwal is an excellent way to continue the good habits of Ramadan.
Abu Ayyub al-Ansari relates that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) says: "Whoever fasts the month of Ramadan and then follows it with six days of fasting in the month of Shawwal, it will be as if he had fasted the year through." Sahih Muslim (1163)
2. Continue donating to your favorite charities or volunteer for causes that you care about.
.. And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Quran 2:219
3. Make a habit to read and reflect on the Quran, even if it is for five or ten minutes a day.
We have sent it down the Quran in Arabic, in order that ye may learn wisdom. Quran 12:2
4. Practice the sunnah of fasting twice a week. If you can’t fast two days, fast one day a week. If you can’t do that, fast once or twice a month.
It was narrated that Aaeesha (r) said: The Prophet (pbuh) was keen to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 747.
It was narrated from Mu’aadhah al-‘Adawiyyah that she asked ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (pbuh), “Did the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) fast three days of every month?” She said, “Yes.” She inquired further: “Which days of the month did he fast?” She said, “He did not mind which days of the month he would fast.” Narrated by Muslim, 1160.
Today there are numerous new studies on the benefits of “Intermittent Fasting.”
5. Focus on increasing “God Consciousness”, Taqwa.
"O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may attain taqwa." (Qur'an 2:183)
Those who are pure in heart achieve God-consciousness; they are truly and actually aware of God at the center of their being (their heart). These sanctified individuals are said to be Possessors of the Heart. Rumi
Topics: Fasting, Taqwa (God Consciousness) Values: Charity, Contentment