Print Page | Close Window

The Problem of Hell (What to Do There?)

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Interfaith Dialogue
Forum Description: It is for Interfaith dialogue, where Muslims discuss with non-Muslims. We encourge that dialogue takes place in a cordial atmosphere on various topics including religious tolerance.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8653
Printed Date: 27 April 2024 at 8:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Problem of Hell (What to Do There?)
Posted By: SilentScope001
Subject: The Problem of Hell (What to Do There?)
Date Posted: 21 February 2007 at 1:44pm

In the hope of learning more about how people view the world...as well as preparing for Day of Judgement...well...

You see, I feel myself to be quite a religious person. This means that I believe in religion. But the problem lies in the fact that my belief is not "doctrinally pure". I do not know if I am following my religion correctly or if I am betraying my God, and making my God angry. You may make the argument that it's impossible to me to find out, but I may find out if I die and God tells me that I disobeyed him.

So, this is my fear...that I could go to Hell. I know Hell is a bad place, and I would obey God so that I go to Heaven. But for all the people talking about why Hell is a bad place, not one of them gave me any tips for living in Hell, for preparing for Hell and for prospering in Hell. I don't need any tips for living in Heaven, it's supposed to be a utopia. But, Hell...is not a utopia, it's a prison, and one that last forever.

This troubles me so, the thought of me going to Hell. And the problem is...how do I live in Hell? Should I form a cult to worship God so that I don't get punishment? Should I lead a rebellion to try and overthrow God and free Hell? Should I accept my punishment and moan and weep? I don't know.

So, here is a thought experiment. Let us suppose the following:
1. God exist and he creates Hell so that he can place Bad People(tm) in there..
2. You have been told by God that you are going to Hell, since you are indeed...a Bad Person(tm).
3. You will likely stay in Hell forever, or at least for a very long time.

Obivously, it would be good to go to Heaven, but any business person and economist knows that you can't put all your eggs in one basket. You have to prepare for any sort of disaster that can befall you (like eternal damnation), and react to it in a calm manner.

This thread, in not only helping me understand how to deal with Hell, can also help me understand people's thought processes in how God operates, how Hell operates, and how people in Hell operate when placed in Hell.

I hope this will not be a bad thread, and I really don't like flame wars and arguments. I really hope this will be a civil discussion.

Thank you in advance for all those who reply.

Replies:
Posted By: Seif
Date Posted: 21 February 2007 at 2:54pm

Asalam Alaykum,

Just the fact that you are concerned about hell is a major plus in your favor, most people drift through live without a second thought.  Only Allah knows who is going to hell.  As far as following a doctrine, well that is tricky, everyone thinks that their way is right. 

As far as living in hell, well... I guess it is something you will deal with when and if you have to deal with it.  I am no help at all, I know.

Seif

-------------
La ilaha il Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasool-Allah. These words are never apart and they never shall be-Nino

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 22 February 2007 at 12:15am

As'salamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

I wish your post be answered by any of our members here who have sound knowledge of deen. I would insha-allah make a try and pray Allah ta'ala to be of any help to you. First of all we need to be an optimist in our lives. It does n't mean that we gurantee ourselves of jannah and do not act good here in this world. But instead of preparing yourselves as how to over throw God -Nauzbillah, or other tactics,   divert our minds as how well can we try our best to increase our ranks in Jannah. Whenever we act a good deed , then believe that its accepted by Allah. We need to also remember that any deed we accomplish , intends to be only for the sake of Allah ta'ala.

Just an exmple here , though may sound childish. If a teacher says loudly in her noisy class to her students , "Don't make noise or else i will beat you" So shud those students prepare themselves for the after effects of her beatings or be quiet.

Alhamdullilah as you said u are a relligious person. Try to follow religion sincerly and thus implement islam in our lives. All these thoughts of yours are merely 'Waswasas": i.e  whisperings of satan. So whenever we feel so lets seek refuge from satan and try to busy our hearts with zikr. Also remembers our DUA's are incomplete unless we seek from Allah to keep us away from Hell-fire and to place us in amongst the highest rank of jannah i.e jaanatul firdaus.

You must be knowing that none of our deeds qualify us to jannah unless Allah's rahmah is added to it. So one of the attributes of Allah ta'ala is the Most Merciful. But we need to try hard to earn our best here too.

May Allah guide all of us on the righteous path and thus keep us away from the strayed path

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Posted By: Sadija
Date Posted: 22 February 2007 at 1:01am

Salaam

I agree with Seif at least you are concern.

But somewhere you have a guilty concious.  Maybe you are doing sin with the intention to do it.  I am trying to be straightfoward becasue with Allah there is very less excuses.

If you know you are doing enough to be good then you won't have the fear to go hell.  But Shaytaan makes us lazy and makes us believe that hell is maybe not so bad. Shaytaan can only be overcome when you pracice your deen fully.  Try to acknowledge what is wrong and right. Come on you know what is a sin and not.  So stop being lazy and start praying and reading Quran. 

I am not harsh only helping . The truth hurts but it heals.....

-------------
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing , you will be successfull

Posted By: hat2010
Date Posted: 22 February 2007 at 1:59am
To answer your question as I have understood Hell as presented in the
Quran:

If you are in Hell, you will not be able to deal with it; your postive power to
act independently is over.

Posted By: Sadija
Date Posted: 22 February 2007 at 2:02am
Ouch hard to handle that one hey?

-------------
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing , you will be successfull

Posted By: Fallen
Date Posted: 23 February 2007 at 5:09am

This is exactly the problem I have with religions.

Good people concerned about whether they are following the correct path and possibly being doomed for hell. What kind of God would condemn someone who is good? in the sense, of what we define as good. I mean, I know good Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhist and I think to myself is God truly exist and is a personal god, why would he condemn people for simply sharing different religions. Even to a lesser degree why would he condemn someone for simply not following doctrine word for word?

I've heard many explanations on God in Islam and nobody can really explain it in a way that best fit anything that makes sense.

Date Posted: 23 February 2007 at 11:48am
Peace -

"I've heard many explanations on God in Islam and nobody can really
explain it in a way that best fit anything that makes sense."

Bismillah.
We say that God is the Most Merciful.

And Mercy is always the perogative of the most powerful.

So, rather than comprimise our intellectual integrity and put ourselves
simultaneously as humble supplicant and also as God, we leave the Grace
and Mercy of God to be the last threshold to pass through in the
judgement on our lives.

And, of course, we have faith that we will be rewarded for the 'loans of
righteousness' that we have given on Earth - and God will not "condemn
someone for simply not following doctrine word for word" or "condemn
someone who is good"

"I've heard many explanations on God in Islam and nobody can really
explain it in a way that best fit anything that makes sense."

Read the Quran from cover to cover - listen to it. If things still don't
make sense...well, boo - different strokes.

Peace y'all
Jam

Posted By: Fallen
Date Posted: 23 February 2007 at 10:20pm

>>>>Read the Quran from cover to cover - listen to it. If things still don't
make sense...well, boo - different strokes.<<<<

You are obviously no Scholar in your own religion much less a knowledgable individual. Why would you suggest to a person with limited knowledge on a "foreign" religion to read something without help? Or, wouldn't the best advice to give me would be to ask a scholar or what you guys say-an Alim?

I've done the above and the examples given to me but learned individuals are great-in fact make perfect sense to me because they correspond to my life now but i'm more concerned by the reception I get when I'm asking a legitimate question. You do no service to your faith when I interpret the last part of your comment as "If you don't understand it then your S--t out of luck...hmmm

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 24 February 2007 at 2:15am

Fallen the  confusions arising in your minds are obvious.

Even to a lesser degree why would he condemn someone for simply not following doctrine word for word?"

Answer to this question of yours is as follows :
One of the attributes of Allah ta'ala is Al-Adl i.e The just. And we believe as per the verses of Qur'an say that on the day of judgement all of us are dealt with Just. Even the smallest deed of ours will be rewarded and none of our deeds are hidden. If someone is good then he's rewarded in this world. But since he does n't believe in the Truth of one God and His Books and His messengers, is that person not doing a great sin. The only God who cares us so much, and a person whoever he is, experiences the favours of God daily, will it be not his duty to believe Him and thus pray Him. Everyone of us experiences some unseen helping hand in our lives, be it a muslim or a non-muslim. But when he realises this help then he humbles himselves and thanks him.

If suppose you are employed in a office and you are very sincere and good employee. But you say that i will do my assigned work at home without following these formalities like coming to the Office , sitting on the table, these attendance, meetings etc. Its like you are saying what matters the employer is work na, so i will do it anywhere. So do u expect your employer to be soft to then. Yeah being in a office if u commit some minor mistakes then he may overlook them and pay u. But when u are n't following his commands and the rules of the office, -----What would you be the results? This may seem  a st**id example. But i was trying to explain .

So we are taught as how to thank Him and how to lead a life in this world and thus make it successful hereafter.Islam is a religion with no single side-effects and a complete religion
 It guides a human being in all aspects of his llife as well as a society.  These teachings are found in a revealed Book -Holy Qur'an. Most of us recommend Qur'an since we as a human being may commit a mistake anywhere while explanations ,whereas this word of God {Holy Quran}, is obviously unchanged and answers all of your questions and confusions prevailing. Remember none of the verse in changed as Allah  Himselves had taken its responsibility. Even today we see this miracle happening that these universally applicable verses are as fresh and advantageous in every walk of our life. So while goig thru Qur'an if you do not understand any of the verses then u may please discuss here. Alhamdullilah we have good panel of members at IC, insha-allah {If Allah wills} , lets all discuss here. But there is sometimes need of scholars too as they understand better and obviously there deep study makes  them scholars. There knowledge when supported by the verses of Qur'an and hadith helps us than a person like me who goes thru a page and makes blah blah. Naturally we sometimes need to consult scholars for assistance.

Anyways, hoping a less frustrated post of yours than previous one.

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Posted By: Douggg
Date Posted: 24 February 2007 at 6:30am
Originally posted by SilentScope001 SilentScope001 wrote:

This troubles me so, the thought of me going to Hell. And the problem is...how do I live in Hell? Should I form a cult to worship God so that I don't get punishment? Should I lead a rebellion to try and overthrow God and free Hell? Should I accept my punishment and moan and weep? I don't know.

You should stop playing cute "games" with God.   Your questions for debate are really not purposed for a discussion with "us", but aimed at God.    You are in God's box.  He is not in yours.

Peace,

Doug L.

Date Posted: 24 February 2007 at 6:44am
Peace all,

"You are obviously no Scholar in your own religion much less a
knowledgable individual."

It's that obvious? I'm even wearing glasses today.

"Why would you suggest to a person with limited knowledge on a
"foreign" religion to read something without help? "

The Quran does not require a scholar to read.

"Or, wouldn't the best advice to give me would be to ask a scholar or what
you guys say-an Alim?"

Sounds good, Fallen. Our prophet was not a scholar and neither was
anyone in the early Muslim communities - like I said in the first answer,
The Quran does not require a scholar to read it...from sura 54, " And We
have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember..."

"I've done the above and the examples given to me but learned
individuals are great-in fact make perfect sense to me because they
correspond to my life now but i'm more concerned by the reception I get
when I'm asking a legitimate question."

And my previous response was answered in more words than maybe
necessary -
another pass:
We have faith God will not condemn the Good.
We have faith God will not condemn us for minor errors.
However, we don't know what God has planned because God is Great and
Unfathomable.

"You do no service to your faith when I interpret the last part of your
comment as "If you don't understand it then your S--t out of
luck...hmmm"
No need for that, Fallen - in fact, we don't express ourselves like that
here. However, my answer was too chummy - and I am sorry about that.
another pass:
After reading the Quran, talking to scholars, etc. we are left with this:

Surah 109 The Disbelievers - Al-Kafiroon, 6 verses (Makka)

In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

Say : O ye that reject Faith!
I worship not that which ye worship,
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
To you be your Way, and to me mine.

Posted By: Sawtul Khilafah
Date Posted: 24 February 2007 at 9:43am

Surely those who believe and those who are Jews and the Sabeans and the Christians and the Magians and those who associate (others with Allah)-- surely Allah will decide between them on the day of resurrection; surely Allah is a witness over all things. [Quran:22:17]

Those non-Muslims who have not heard of Islam or who have not understood what Islam is may be forgiven by Allah on the day of Judgement based on their deeds and most important of all, based on their INTENTIONS.

Infact, the first Hadith in Sahih Bukhari (most authentic Islamic book after the Quran) emphasises the importance of Intention:

Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for." [Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 1, Number 1]

Date Posted: 25 February 2007 at 4:42am
Amen, Brother.

Posted By: USA-NIQAABI
Date Posted: 26 February 2007 at 4:52am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

I just wanted to add that Religion is just a means to help you with true belief in Allah(swt)....You should start by stating that you have a firm belief in Allah(swt) not in religion....religions aren't perfect and free from those that follow and make mistakes along the way. But Allah(swt) is perfect and is in control and in full knowledge of all that we know and do not know.

Secondly, you need to pray for guidance first and if you choose to be a muslim and submit to Allah(swt) than you should do so by seeking out your local masjid there will be many people there eager to help you with all of your questions...If you don't know of a local mosque please post your city and state and someone here can post a link for a local mosque in your area.

Thirdly, In the Quran it states clearly that Allah(swt) is most merciful and if you have done an atoms weight of good or bad in your life all will be held in account to your final destination for eternal life. It also tells us about the life in hell and it is a very painfilled one indeed and the Angels appointed to carry out Allahs(swt) wishes for those destined for hell will do so in full force and without recompense...

Fourthly, if you are a muslim and stray and fall short of qualifying for Jannah(paradise) on the day of judgement Prophet Muhaamad(pbuh) will be able to intervene and request for those muslims in the hell fire to be spared and allowed to enter into Jannah...Whatever Allah(swt) decides will be the final decision for that individual for all of eternity.

The best place to start when concerned with your actions and intentions in this life that is truly short in duration is to start with yourself...Once you have committed to wanting a better life and future life for yourself you will be able to seek out the help you will need in attaining this.

MasSalaama

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 26 February 2007 at 5:16am

I agree with USA Niqabbi.. good post

That is truly the fasicniating thing..we have ben given the Quran and we "know" what we should do but we do not know if what we do is enough. And we won't know until Judgement Day.

There is that uncertainty. I always think of that first line: In the name of Allah, the most beneficient, the most merciful". Pray for mercy.

So maybe pray harder for forgiveness and seek to do good.

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net