Print Page | Close Window

Ex-Suicidal Drug Addict Turns to Islam

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Stories - How I Became Muslim?
Forum Description: Stories - How I Became Muslim?
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8115
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 4:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ex-Suicidal Drug Addict Turns to Islam
Posted By: peacemaker
Subject: Ex-Suicidal Drug Addict Turns to Islam
Date Posted: 06 January 2007 at 5:05am

Ex-Suicidal Drug Addict Turns to Islam

By  Abdul- Raouf Ahmed

I am a white, American who was born in the southeastern part of Tennessee. My maternal grandmother adopted me. My mother gave me to her immediately after I was born. I stayed with my grandmother until the day Allah took her from this world December 23, 1992.

She, my grandmother, was married until I was approximately 4 years of age. She left her husband due to his drunken; pill taken abusiveness in which almost killed her and the rest of us. Her children and I were placed in foster homes until she could receive government assistance both financially and a place to live. We were placed in government housing in which are popularly referred to as, the projects. I was the last one for her to get back in which was 1 year later.

Although we were very poor, my grandmother stayed very religiously strong. At the age of 16 (1975), I was introduced to drugs and alcohol by my aunt and her high school friends. I quit school 1 yr. before I was to graduate but I took my GED by the end of that year. I started working in order to provide a better and easier way of life for both my grandmother and my self, so I thought.

My drug and alcohol progressively became worse. The more I worked, the more I abused them both. I quit the drugs 8 years later. My alcohol dependency became stronger with no way out that I knew of at that time. Therefore, I saw that our situation in life was not going to become any better and I felt like a big failure and a loser. My next step was to kill myself. I tried to overdose on pills but I did not take enough. Therefore, I just drank more and more alcohol over the years. My life was no longer mine. It now belonged to the alcohol. This was my soul mate and best friend. I lived for it day in and day out. I attempted two more suicides in places where I knew no one could ever find me, so I thought. How they did it Allah only knows. I would have succeeded both times if Allah had not send those people to where ever I was located at the time. These places were so recluse and out of the way, I can not even remember where they are to this day. I do not even know on how I arrived at those places. I was too drunk.

Now, it is 1992. February of this year, I quit working because, my grandmother�s health would not allow me to be away from her that much. Therefore, I started going out to drink and party with my so-called friends after she would go to bed. December the 23rd of this yr., Allah took her from me. This is where my whole world crumbled out from under me. I drank as much as I could and as long as I could for 4 months. It is now April of 1993. My best and only real friend threatened to leave and never return if I did not get help. I went into a treatment center three different times repeatedly over a period of 3 years. These treatments were for depression, anxiety, stress, and of course, alcohol addiction. Things become addiction at the time a person loses self-control and allows what ever it is that he/she is abusing to take over completely. One never has control over substance abuse. I mean never. That is an illusive fallacy to think otherwise. Loss of control starts at the first drink and/or the first pill.

Now, it is May 1995 the 28th. I made the Shahadah [Editor's Note: Shahadah means the �Testimony of Faith�]. Let us back up 2 days. Someone that I knew was staying with me. We were having our usual night of drinking and partying. The subject on religion came up in conversation. He was or is Catholic and I was brought up as a Christian. At this time, I had not even thought about religion for at least 10 to 15 years that I know of. I thought that this was going to be a religious bashing conversation but, it turned into something very special to me.

This person knew that I was very negative towards religion due to past experiences with hypocrites and being abused by the ones inside the family. He asked me if I had ever heard about Muslims or Islam and I said, "no, is it just another group that likes to go for worship on one or two nights out of the week with one face and leave with their real face?� He said that it was not like that. Islam is a 24 hr., 7 days a week and 365 days a year life-style. He knew about this from someone he lived with for seven and half years. The Muslim he lived with was from the Middle East.

This subject finally ended but, our drinking didn�t. Many hours later, I had all the alcohol I could take and went to bed. Although I was wasted on alcohol, I could not sleep. I could not even pass out like I normally would. All night long all I could hear in my head was Islam, Muslim; Islam, Muslim over and over again. It just would not stop. Well, the next morning, after I had finally pulled myself together, I picked up the phone book just to see if there was anything listed under religion about Muslims or Islam. I found nothing. Therefore, I proceeded cleaning the big mess up. A little time had passed. I decided to look again. I found nothing. I threw the phone book. I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and started vacuuming. I ran into that phone book again. I thought, this is it! I will look once more and if I do not find anything this time, I will never even consider anything that has to do with God again.

I picked up the book, sat down and opened it. I opened it exactly to the right page and the only thing I saw was the name of the local Muslim community. Who would ever had believed something like this could happen in a million years. I called and spoke to one of the brothers and arranged to meet with him at the Mosque. The next day, Thursday, I called to confirm the appointment. Another brother answered but, the telephone line was giving too much static interference. He heard just enough to contact the other brother with my message. I had to yell to accomplish this. That brother had arranged transportation for me. I went that evening and he explained to three others and myself about the basics of Islam.

Well, everything sounded fascinating but, I told him that I needed to go home and give it some more thought after he had given the invitation to make Shahadah. I went home and pulled a beer out of the refrigerator. I opened it but, this time I only took a few sips of it and threw the rest away. I went to bed early but, I tossed and turned all night long. All I could think about was becoming a Muslim. Me, a poor white male, who had been searching for something better out of life, becoming a Muslim. What a head spin. Why? Because of the way in which I was guided and the thoughts of my becoming a member of another religious organization.

The next day, Friday the 28th, I called him and told him that I wanted to be a Muslim. He arranged for me a ride to the Mosque and gave me the Shahadah in front of everyone that night after they prayed Salat Al-`Isha' [Editor's note: Salat Al-`Isha' means the �night prayer�]. That was the most exciting night for me even though I was a nervous wreck and scared to death, almost.

I moved from my apartment and went back to where my best friend was living. He, his roommate and all the others that I knew at the time made fun of me for becoming a Muslim. A few months later, I moved to the university campus in order to be closer to the Mosque and to get away from the alcohol.

Winter is now just starting and the heat was so bad in my new apartment that I almost froze to death. In addition, I discovered that I would have died that winter due to some health problems that I never knew that they had developed over the years due to intoxication of alcohol. The brothers watched over me day and night that whole winter. They even moved me into the Mosque for several months in order for my staying warm and to where it would be easier for them to take care of me. I still cry over this because, Allah gave me another chance and stopped me from dying outside of His graces and mercy. I can not explain on how honored and grateful I am for this golden opportunity and for Allah bringing me to where I am today. I hope and pray with all my heart and soul that others will do the same. Also, may Allah bless and make it easier for all my brothers and sisters all over the world as much as it was made for me.

If anyone ever has an opportunity in reading this, I hope and pray that he/she is going to be as spiritually and emotionally moved as I am now. Just being able to be here writing this is a miracle from Allah. Amen.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235128066&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout - http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C& ;cid=1154235128066&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam% 2FDIELayout

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Replies:
Posted By: senekerk
Date Posted: 07 January 2007 at 6:07pm
This story is very similar t my story. itoo am from southeastern Tennessee. i have had drug and alcohol problems. I am a member of alcoholic anonymous, and by trying to find a God of my understanding has lead me to Islam. I have not taken Shahada yet as I am still learning and trying to understand.  Thank you for this story I know Allah is working in my life.

-------------
Kay

Date Posted: 08 January 2007 at 4:45am

Originally posted by senekerk senekerk wrote:

This story is very similar t my story. itoo am from southeastern Tennessee. i have had drug and alcohol problems. I am a member of alcoholic anonymous, and by trying to find a God of my understanding has lead me to Islam. I have not taken Shahada yet as I am still learning and trying to understand.  Thank you for this story I know Allah is working in my life.

Hi senekerk,

You are welcome.  It is so nice to know that you are learning Islam.

I would like to share a beautiful Qur'anic verse:

"We will show them Our Signs in the universe, and in their ownselves, until it becomes manifest to them that this (the Qur'�n) is the truth. Is it not sufficient in regard to your Lord that He is a Witness over all things?" 

Qur'an 41: 53

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

-------------

Date Posted: 08 January 2007 at 1:38pm

So far my favorite verse is Surah 2:255

Allah! there is no god but Him, the Living, the Eternal. neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. His is what is in heavens and what is in earth.  Who can interceede with Him except by His permission.  He knows what is before them and what lies behind them, and they can grasp only a part of His knowledge which He will His Throne embaces the heavens and the earth, and it tires Him not to uphold them both. His is the Highg, the Tremendous.

-------------
Kay

Date Posted: 09 January 2007 at 5:26am

So far my favorite verse is Surah 2:255

Allah! there is no god but Him, the Living, the Eternal. neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. His is what is in heavens and what is in earth.  Who can interceede with Him except by His permission.  He knows what is before them and what lies behind them, and they can grasp only a part of His knowledge which He will His Throne embaces the heavens and the earth, and it tires Him not to uphold them both. His is the Highg, the Tremendous.

2: 255 is also called Ayat-ul-Kursi. Reciting this verse at the time of grief helps a lot, though it can be recited any time, and can really be a good reminder.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace

-------------

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 09 January 2007 at 11:45am

Assalaamualaikum,

Senekerk, your favourite ayah(verse) is the greatest ayah of the Quran according to a hadiith. Satan flees on hearing this ayah.

May Allah guide you and us.

Wassalam

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Date Posted: 09 January 2007 at 2:13pm

I am glad to know that it is one of the greatest ayah of the Qur'an and that it helps in time of grief.  I am certainly grieving--My mother-in-law is terminal stages of her life and sometimes that is overwhelming. ut the Qur'an certainly helps. Thank to both of you

wasalam (is that right?)

-------------
Kay

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 09 January 2007 at 11:18pm

I am glad to know that it is one of the greatest ayah of the Qur'an and that it helps in time of grief.  I am certainly grieving--My mother-in-law is terminal stages of her life and sometimes that is overwhelming. ut the Qur'an certainly helps. Thank to both of you

wasalam (is that right?) yes

Assalaam Alaikum

This is off topic but.... do ruqya for her. Read the quranic verses (you can read any) best to read surah al fatiha, first chapter. Below is more information. wassalaam.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=3476&ln=eng&txt=ruqya - http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=3476&ln=eng&tx t=ruqya

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Posted By: Aboo Yacob
Date Posted: 05 February 2007 at 7:42pm
AllahuAkbar[Allah is the Greatest]
How many has he saved from the darkness of disbelieve to the light of Islaam?
This story, was subhanallah(Glory be to Allah)... Remarkable
Thank you for sharing, we all need to have our hearts purified.
May Allah Guide us all to that which pleases Him. and enter us into His Mercy and Paradise, the path to which is Islaam, and peace and blessings of Allah be upon all His Noble Messengers and Prophets.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net