Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 8:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Islam in Diversity
Posted By: fatima
Subject: Islam in Diversity
Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:17am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

IC Team wants to start a thread in which members can discuss basic concepts of islam through their understanding. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says in Quran al-Karim, 2:143] Thus We have appointed you a middle nation', alhamdulillah the best way is the balanced middle way. But through His Mercy we are allowed to follow the lineant or the strict way according to our own strength. So members are welcome to bringup any topic or concept and discuss it in a peacefull manner.

JazakumAllah Khair.

So I am going to start the thread inshaAllah with 'Taqwa'.

There is a saying of Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alaihe wassalam about wudu which says, 'save your heels from hellfire'. It is regarding making sure that enough care is taken in washing each part with enough water. But another hadith tells us that he sallallahu alaihe wassalam told a sahabi doing wudu not to be extravagant with water even though he was sitting by a stream.

So anybody who is using more water for making sure he has payed its due would have taqwa of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. Similarly anybody using little amount of water because of the second hadith would also be doing it because of taqwa.

So what is more important in Taqwa, the act or the intention?

wassalam

-------------
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL

Replies:
Posted By: Abeer23
Date Posted: 15 November 2006 at 4:46am

As salamu alaikum, good thread sis. Fatima.

Which is more important??  Both are important; however, since actions are either valid or invalid according to the intentions behind them, I'd say intentions have more importance (hence the legal maxim "actions are judged by intentions").    

salam

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 15 November 2006 at 7:01am

Assalamu alaikum,

Very nice topic Sister Fatima!  Nice to see you back Sister Abeer!

Anyway, I thought I would start by posting this for the benefit of those who are not so familiar with Arabic terms:

Word: Taqwa
Meaning: Taqwa is a concept in Islam that is interpreted by some Islamic Scholars as God consciousness. It has many further understandings and interpretations. Taqwa may mean piousness, fear of Allah, love for Allah, and self restraint.
True Form: http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/sounds/taqwa.mp3">listen ����
Grammar: word;
Explanation:

Having Taqwa allows a person to be constantly aware of both God's presence and attributes and a reminder of their relationship and responsibility to God as His creation and servant. The scholars explain that the way to taqwa is through obedience of God, avoiding disobedience, and striving to stay away from doubtful matters.

This is from a site called islamic-dictionary.com, very useful to those just learning Arabic!

Anyway, back to taqwa and the subject at hand.  For myself, I do believe that the intention is everything.  I know I have read ahadith that address this issue (but don't have one handy at the moment!).  I have read that even if we do not carry out a deed, just having the intention to do so is rewarded by our Merciful Allah.

Sometimes I think Muslims get all wrapped up in worrying over rituals and traditions and forget the basis of it all, which is taqwa!  To be Allah conscious at all times moves one to have the best intentions, which in turn keeps us mindful of doing rituals correctly.

So, it is a matter of taqwa first and all else will fall into place as it should!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 15 November 2006 at 1:16pm

wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

When i wrote the ayaah of muslims being middle nation, i dint think about it deeply. But later on i just thought to myself what if i have quoted it out of context. But then i realized the blessing of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala that alhamdulillah i started with a topic unknowingly for which this is so relevant. The law is what jews became so strict on, so much so that they became hard hearted and forgot about the soul of the law and purpose behind it. The christians on the other hand pay too much attention to the intention and not enough on the acts done.

Islam however requires presence of both good and pure intention and the act to go along with it. What sister ummziba has said is also true that Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala through His Mercy grants reward of a good deed even for thinking about it. But i think this would come under voluntary or nafl part. In my understanding having intention of paying zakah money for only Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala's sake and then also paying it would make you a muttaqi person. But what sister ummziba is talking about might come under the next step which is if the person thinks about whether it would be more beneficial to give it openly or secretly. But i could be wrong 

want to leave you with this ayaah to think about inshaAllah from Surah taghabun, it says, 'Fattaqullaha mastata'tum' 64:16 meaning, 'have taqwa of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala as much as you can'. This mention word 'istata' (ability) which would be more suitable for action than intention in my humble view

wassalam

p.s. so nice to see you back sis

-------------
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL

Date Posted: 16 November 2006 at 2:59am
As salamu alikum, Sis. Umm Ziba and Fatimah 

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 17 November 2006 at 5:51am

Assalaamualaikum

Taqwa ia such a beautiful topic, jazakallahkhair sis fatima...and taqwa is so important...it is to a muslim what a soul is to the body. Without taqwa I guess everything is meaningless. Will write more later, gotta make salah!

wassalaam

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 5:52am

Wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

My next topic is 'Patience' Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has told us to be patient in conditions because the end is for the one who shows patience. What in your view is praiseworthy patience and what would be blameworthy?

Wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 8:55pm

Hmm, you got me on this one.   I guess praiseworthy patience would be that which is exercised during adversity, when slandered, when dealing with shah'wat etc.  These are some of the things the Quran tells us to show patience with.  As for blameworthy patience, I'm not really sure.  Enlighten me sis.

Salam

Date Posted: 24 November 2006 at 4:14am

Assalamu alaikum

I got a pm saying i dint show enough patience  with the first topic and started the second topic already when some people want to contribute to first. Well if some1 wants to discuss the first topic, you are more than welcome to discuss it and inshaAllah i will wait for replies. Actually i was quite, well how should i put it, The topic of taqwa is very huge subhanAllah and this discussion never quenched my thirst you could say. So I will be looking forward to more detailed replies.

wassalam

-------------

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 24 November 2006 at 11:32am
Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

Assalamu alaikum

I got a pm saying i dint show enough patience  with the first topic and started the second topic already when some people want to contribute to first. Well if some1 wants to discuss the first topic, you are more than welcome to discuss it and inshaAllah i will wait for replies. Actually i was quite, well how should i put it, The topic of taqwa is very huge subhanAllah and this discussion never quenched my thirst you could say. So I will be looking forward to more detailed replies.

wassalam

Assalaamu alaikum:

In my simple view, Taqwa and patience could also be discussed in a similar light.

Taqwa, the importance of making the correct intention. Didn't I read in  a thread somewhere in this forum in the past about the brother that made wudu at home, and while attempting to go to the masjid for prayer, fell and soiled his clothing? He then went home, changed to clean clothing, repeated his wudu and was again dirtied by a passing car on the way to the masjid again.Being the ever patient brother, he again started over up to three times. He was cited for his extreme patience and his faithfullness to the teachings of the prophet. What patience this brother must have had! His intentions to follow procedure correctly is an example! It reminds me of certain ayats that were discussed in some of our kutjahs in the past few months:

3:15 Say: Shall I give you glad tidings of things Far better than those? For the righteous are Gardens in nearness to their Lord, with rivers flowing beneath; therein is their eternal home; with companions pure (and holy); and the good pleasure of Allah. For in Allah's sight are (all) His servants,

3:16 (Namely), those who say: "Our Lord! we have indeed believed: forgive us, then, our sins, and save us from the agony of the Fire;"-

3:17 Those who show patience, Firmness and self-control; who are true (in word and deed); who worship devoutly; who spend (in the way of Allah.; and who pray for forgiveness in the early hours of the morning.

Oh, how beautiful are many of the words of the Qu'ran. That all may come to knowledge of the true path in life!

Wa salaama.

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 24 November 2006 at 2:53pm

Bismillahirrahmanirraheem

Assalaamualaikum

Actually when I thought about this...taqwa and sabr go hand in hand... so alhamdulillah sis fatima, you mentioned both one after the other.

Since taqwa means being conscious of Allah, we do things always keeping in mind that Allah is watching, we refrain from haram stuff thinking that we may displease Allah, we do good things to please Allah. So think of it, if we go by Allah's likes and dislikes, insha allah we will not go wrong, save our errors made in ignorance. (Maryah mentioned the verse regarding this).

Some verses from the Quran on taqwa:

"Alif. Lam. Mim. This is the book wherein there is no doubt; a guidance unto those who ward off (evil): who believe in the unseen, and establish worship, and spend of that we have bestowed upon them: and who believe in that which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that which was revealed before thee, and are certain of the Hereafter." (2 : 1-4)

"Friends on the Day will be foes one to another, save those who kept their duty (to Allah)." (43 : 67)

"It is not righteousness that you turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believes in Allah and the last Day and the angels and the Scriptures and the Prophets; and gives his wealth for the love of Him, to kinsfolk and to the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and those who ask, and to set slaves free; and observes proper worship and pays the poor-due. And those who keep their treaty when they make one, and the patient in tribulation and adversity and time of stress. Such are they who are sincere. Such are the God-fearing." (2 : 177)

"And vie one with another for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a paradise as wide as are the heavens and the earth prepared for those who ward off (evil); those who spend (of that which Allah has given them) in ease and in adversity, those who control their wrath and are forgiving toward mankind; Allah loves the good; and those who, when they do an evil thing or wrong themselves, remember Allah and implore forgiveness for their sins - who forgives sins save Allah only? And will not knowingly repeat (the wrong) they did." (3 : 133-135)

The prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said "taqwa is here, taqwa is here, taqwa is here." he said this while pointing towards his heart. (please someone give reference to this hadith)

Allah loves the muttaqee (person with taqwa). Can all of you give your pointers on how to increase our taqwa?

Jazakallahkhair, wassalaam.

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).

Date Posted: 24 November 2006 at 3:34pm

Bismillahirrahmanirraheem

Assalaamualiakum

A Man once prayed "God give me patience.....but hurry!"  Ok..jokes apart...

Prophet Yaqoob [alayhissalaam] said "Fa Sabrun Jameelun" meaning "patience is good/most fitting." (  Yusuf, Chapter http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=12&translator=5 - #12 , Verse http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=12&translator=5#18 - #18 )

Yaqoob ,Ayyoob [alaykumassalaam ] and Muhammad [sallallahu alayhi wasallam] are such good examples of patience. Anyone wants to share their stories?

Patience ie. "sabr" comes from a root meaning to detain, refrain and stop. patience means to stop ourselves from despairing and panicking, to stop our tongues from complaining, and to stop our hands from striking our faces and tearing our clothes at times of grief and stress.

Allah says:

And seek help in patience and As-Salat (the prayer) and truly it is extremely heavy and hard except for Al-Khashioon (i.e. the true believers in Allah - those who obey Allah with full submission, fear much from His Punishment, and believe in His Promise (Paradise, etc.) and in His Warnings (Hell, etc.)).  
(  Al-Baqara, Chapter http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=2&translator=5 - #2 , Verse http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=2&translator=5#45 - #45 )

Except those who show patience and do righteous good deeds, those: theirs will be forgiveness and a great reward (Paradise).  
(   Hud, Chapter http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=11&translator=5 - #11 , Verse http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=11&translator=5#11 - #11 )

"Salamun Alaikum (peace be upon you) for that you persevered in patience! Excellent indeed is the final home!"  
(   Ar-Rad, Chapter http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=13&translator=5 - #13 , Verse http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=13&translator=5#24 - #24 )

Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam said:

"(Remember) Whoever abstains from asking others, Allah will make him contented, and whoever tries to make himself self-sufficient, Allah will make him self-sufficient. And whoever remains patient, Allah will make him patient. Nobody can be given a blessing better and greater than patience."  (Book http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=24&translator=1&start=0&number=548 - #24 , Hadith http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=24&translator=1&start=0&number=548#548 - #548 )

Narrated Anas: The Prophet said, "The real patience is at the first stroke of a calamity."  (Book http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=23&translator=1&start=0&number=389 - #23 , Hadith http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=23&translator=1&start=0&number=389#389 - #389 )

Some scholars have explained patience very well:"Patience means to adhere to the rules of the Qur'an and Sunnah".

"Patience means to keep close to Allah and to accept calmly the trials He sends, without complaining or feeling sad."

We need patience to do ibaadah and follow Allah's commands. We need patience to stay away from haram actions.

Making shikwah (complaint) to Allah does not go against patience. Many Prophets made dua to Allah asking for His help to overcome difficulties. Ayyub (Job), when he cried to his Lord, "Truly distress has seized me..."" (Al-Anbiya 21:83)     "I only complain of my distraction and anguish to Allah." (Yusuf 12:86)

Complaining to people, either directly, through our words, or indirectly, through the way we look and behave. This is contradictory to patience.

Indeed patience is a great virtue, may Allah bless us with a lot of patience.

Wassalaam.

-------------

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 24 November 2006 at 5:47pm

Assalamu alaikum

IC Team wants to start a thread in which members can discuss basic concepts of islam through their understanding. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says in Quran al-Karim, 2:143] Thus We have appointed you a middle nation', alhamdulillah the best way is the balanced middle way. But through His Mercy we are allowed to follow the lineant or the strict way according to our own strength. So members are welcome to bringup any topic or concept and discuss it in a peacefull manner.

JazakumAllah Khair.

There is a saying of Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alaihe wassalam about wudu which says, 'save your heels from hellfire'. It is regarding making sure that enough care is taken in washing each part with enough water. But another hadith tells us that he sallallahu alaihe wassalam told a sahabi doing wudu not to be extravagant with water even though he was sitting by a stream.

So anybody who is using more water for making sure he has payed its due would have taqwa of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. Similarly anybody using little amount of water because of the second hadith would also be doing it because of taqwa.

wassalam

Salaamu Alaykum Dear Sister Fatima,

Jazzak Allah Khayr for sending a pm to me about this topic heading.  It sounds like a lovely idea. Would this be just for Muslims then?  Or for people considering Islaam possibly?  Or also for those with a deep, respect and understanding for the Islaamic principles headlined who may have benefitted from their implementation?

The helpful quoted dictionary definition of Taqwa is similar but not quite the same as that which I have come to understand that it means.  Which is when you love someone so much that you fear to displease them, that is like Taqwa.  I fear to displease Allah, the Most Wise and All-Loving because I love his majesty and glory and every aspect that we can understand as humans. 

Intention is more than the thought of something passing through our heads.  "It might be good if someone fed that poor hungry guy that we pass on the freeway ramp each day" is only a wisp of a thought.  But "I will put a dollar or a granola bar and juice box in my car so that when I pass him here again, I will be able to feed him" is a serious intention blessed by Allah, even though you may never see this man again, the intention of your heart, which only the All-Knowing really knows, is blessed by the Provider.

To opine which is more important the act or the intention may be irrelevant unless a person just has to keep an accounting of his/her good and evild deeds.  But according to the hadith, the intention is blessed, while the act is more blessed (maybe it says 10 times.)  So I'm obviously not a literalist, but the important thing in this hadith to me is that an evil intention is not written down as a sin, while a good one is rewarded.  The point I see is that we should try to have good intentions and drive out evil ones from our minds.

And then intending to have Taqwa isn't at all the same as actually having it, so that may not fit at all into the above scenario.

Peace

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 25 November 2006 at 2:25am

Jazakillahu khairan sis. Amah, I benefited a lot from your explanation of Sabr.  Here goes the story of Ayyub alayhi salam:

The Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) was one of the descendants of the Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) and a nephew of Prophet Ya'qub (peace be upon him).  He was sent to reform the people who lived in the desert situated in the north eastern corner of Palestine.

When Ayyub (Job) was chosen to be the Prophet, he started to teach the people about God and His religion.  He advised the people to do good and shun evil.  As usual with all the Prophets very few people believed in him in the beginning but gradually the number of his followers began to increase.

The Prophet Ayyub was Well Off:
The Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) was a prosperous man with firm faith in Allah.   He possessed vast farms, enormous wealth, many cattle and valuable property but these things did not make him arrogant.  His wealth provided him with a medium by means of which he sought Allah's grace.

The Prophet Ayyub Displays Patience:
The Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) was a pattern of humility and faith in Allah.   He was very patient.  He suffered from a number of calamities but did not utter a single word of complaint.  One day his big farm was attacked by the thieves.   They killed many of his servants and carried away forcibly all his cattle.   The Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) did not feel sorry at this loss and thanked Allah.  After some time the roof of the house fell down and many members of his family were crushed.  The Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) was much shocked but he held fast to his faith in Allah.  He neither shed a tear nor heaved a sigh.  He prostrated before the Almighty.  He remarked that possessions and children were the gifts from Allah.  If He had taken His things, it was useless to lament over their loss.

After a few years Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) suffered from skin disease.   His parts of body were covered with loathsome sores.  He had many ugly looking ulcers on his face and hands.  The sores were full of worms.  It is narrated that he picked up those worms which fell from his abscess and praised Allah for creating them.  Above all, his false friends attributed his calamities to his sins.  They ridiculed and looked down upon him.  All the persons deserted him with the exception of his faithful wife, Rahima.  She also grew tired of him in the long run and prayed for his death.  She cursed her husband for retaining integrity in Allah.  When Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) was in an extremely pathetic condition he prayed:

"Truly adversity has afflicted me and You are Most Merciful of all who show mercy." (21: 83)

Allah accepted his prayer.  The Holy Qur'an affirms:

"Then We heard his prayer and removed that adversity from which he suffered, and We gave him his household and the like thereof along with them, a mercy from Our store and remembrance for the worshippers."  (21: 84)

The Prophet Ayyub Recovers and Prospers:
Allah turned to him with mercy.  He was commanded to strike the earth with his foot.   He complied with the order and water from the spring gushed forth.  He took a bath with the water and got cured from his evil disease.  After this he was restored to prosperity.  The Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) knelt and prayed expressing a deep sense of gratitude to Allah.  He never forgot His favors, mercy and love.

The Prophet Ayyub (peace be upon him) was one of the celebrated Prophets.  His example illustrates: that those who remain patient under the stress � of all circumstances, art never deprived of high rewards.  The Holy Qur'an affirms:

"And surely we try you with something of fear and hunger, and loss of wealth and crops, but give glad-tidings to the steadfast, who when a misfortune befalls them, say lo! we are Allah's (possession of Allah) and to Him shall we surely return.  � Such are they on whom are blessings from their Lord, and mercy.   Such are the rightly-guided." (2: 155-157)

Date Posted: 25 November 2006 at 11:47am

Assalamu alaikum

MashaAllah good to see this topic prospering. I think whatever topic we are going to pick up is going to be linked with taqwa.  Because thats what being mindful of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is that whenever a had of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala come you refrain.

Sister herjihad picked a very good point, 'And then intending to have Taqwa isn't at all the same as actually having it'. But would that not be a start? Because if the person is sincere in his intention Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is going to create means for him.

And JazakAllah khair for the story sister abeer, i think it is a light for everyone. So what about the blameworthy patience then?

wassalam

-------------

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 25 November 2006 at 10:28pm

Masha-allah good discussion and agar ijazath ho tho , i will add up here few notes regarding patience 

SABR

-an essential element in fulfilling our ubudiyyah to Allah (swt)

- Rasulullah (saws) said: Sabr is a source of light

- In the Quran it says: [And practice sabr, for you are under Our gaze] One of the early ulamah used to carry a parchment with this ayah on it in his pocket, and he looked at it constantly.

- Sabr is human; animals know nothing more than their basic needs and instincts, all they can do is react; humans have been endowed with reason which balances instinct. We go from wanting food as baby, play as a child, zinnah in adolescence, until we reach puberty and are endowed with some reason.. but reason is not enough, it is not alone sufficient as guidance, the 'aql (intellect) needs 'naql (revealation) "Descartes said I think therefore I am, Ghazali before him said I will therefore I am, I say: I perform sabr, therefore I am human" This deen is the completeness of our maturity and our humanity.

So what is sabr?

The steadfastness of the religious call over the call to passion- if the deen overcomes the nafs, this is sabr

Sabr is an UPHILL BATTLE- when we're going downhill we're losing energy, when we're going uphill we're gaining potential energy. In sabr, we are gaining "spiritual potential energy".

There are 2 kinds of sabr (or two ways we can perform sabr):

1) when something we desire happens to us, something we like, we exhibit sabr in controlling our selves, not going into excess, not transgressing the bounds set down for us by Allah(swt)

Abdur Rahmad ibn Auf said: We were tried by hard times and we showed sabr, but when we were tried in ease and excess, we failed.

Hadeeth: I do not fear for you poverty; I fear for you plentifulness of dunyaa, and it will destroy you as it had destroyed nations before you.

Quran: O you who believe, do not let your families and your wealth draw you away from the dhikr of Allah; and whosoever does that is indeed the loser.

2) Sabr in what we dislike. In 3 areas of life:

a.) sabru ala ta'aat: in obeying Allah (swt). sabr against our nafs who dislikes it, whether in spirituality or mundane, sabr before, during and after the act of obedience.

b.) sabru anil ma'asee: to show sabr against disobedience to Allah (swt). We are attracted to do injustice to others thinking we are doing justice to ourselves. We live in an environment that is dangerously attractive, we need to have patience, constancy, steadfastness = sabr.

c.) sabr andil ma'asid: to show sabr in times of calamity, adveristy, pain, whether physical or emotional. Everything that is in the capacity of an individual to change, he should- but have sabr in what you cannot. Not reciprocating harm is sabr.

Hadeeth: whenever a museebah (hardship) befalls you (and you show sabr) Allah (swt) atones for you some of your sins

Hadeeth: Allah (swt) atones some of our sins not only by physical endurance but by emotional ones as well

Sa'ad ibn Abi Waqqas (ra) asked the Prophet (saws) "Ya Rasulullah, who amongst people are the most tried (subject to hardships)?" Rasulullah (saws) said: The Anbiyyah (messengers of Allah) and after them the Salihoon (righteous) and then in accordance to your eman, taqwaah etc, there will be more hardships, not less. Every mu'min will be tried by difficulties in accordance (proportion) to their deen. If in this person's deen is solidity (their deen is deeply rooted) the balaa' will increase, to purify, cleanse, strenghten, elevate the person. And if in the deen in this person there is riqaa (weakness, thinness), then that persons balaa will be weakened, until the person walks on the earth cleansed of sins until they meet Allah.

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 26 November 2006 at 2:46am

Fatima, I'm still not sure about blameworthy sabr.  If I were to guess I'd say there are times/situations when Allah s.w.t requires that we act.  If exercising patience in such a case would mean not acting then this kind of patience would be blameworthy. 

Seekhidaya, excellent post!!!!  Barak Allah fik

Salaam

Date Posted: 26 November 2006 at 3:31am

What are the adaab of sabr?

1- once the calamity befalls us, we must show sabr immediately without delay.

A woman was in the cemetary, crying, mourning her love, when Rasulullah (saws) said to her "show sabr". She said, not knowing who he was "thats easy for you to say, you have not lost a loved one". When the companions told her who he was, she asked for forgiveness and rasulullah (saws) said: Sabr is to be shown at the beginning of hardship.

2- al-itirjaa': to say immediately, sincerely, from the heart: "Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhee raji'uun" -Verily from Allah we come and to Him we return

3- the tongue and the senses do not act violently - use them correctly, don't get caught up in the pain of the moment

4- Hussnul sabr- sabrun jameel- the highest level, the most beautiful sabr

Sabr can be categorized into 3 levels:

1- Tarkus sabraa: the lowest level- when one does not complain but inside dislikes what's happening to them

2- Ar-ridhaa-bil-beelah: no complaint, to show satisfaction with the balaa (hardship), because they have yaqeen (certainty) that Allah only does to the 'abd what is best for them

3- Ash-shukr-alal-beelah: to have ridhaa (satisfaction) and to be grateful to Allah for the hardship because that person has yaqeen that this is to elevate his spiritual status- looks at the consequence, not the immediate event we are taught sabrun jameel in the story of yaqub and yusuf (as)

Ali (ra) said: Of the realization of the Majesty of Allah, and of knowledge of the right Allah (swt) has on His creation, is that when one is befallen with a calamity, one does not complain, does not even mention what has befallen him.

An 'abd should feel ashamed to describe the pain, we are complaining about the Creator to the creation?

ibn Qays (a tabi') said: I lost my eyesite 40 years ago, I have never told anyone.

an ulumah (didn't get the name): "Whosoever complains about a calamity that has befallen him to other than Allah, such an individual would never find the sweetness of ta'aa (obedience to Allah (swt)) in the heart"

How to attain sabr?

The cure to any disease of the heart (arrogance, anger, lack of hayaa)

1- ILM: brings desire and want to change, use the ilm the teacher conveys to you! brings about hazm- energy, resolve to change

2- AMAL: take it into everyday life, in your actions Qat'al asbaab- severing the ways and avenues to bad deeds. example: lowering the gaze for zinnah. for every haraam avenue, there is a halaal alternative.

No pain, no gain- condition your nafs and your qalb, or they will condition you

Work hard on uprooting the weeds of passion, disobedience and sin. Sow the seeds in your heart of the will to change and sincerity. Let the rain be the mercy and forgiveness of Allah purifying the land, our hearts.

The best door from which we can enter the majesty of Allah, is humility.

1- Always be conscious in our hearts and minds of Allah's nimaah

2- Always be conscious of our weaknesses, the sins we have committed. Have faqar- the opposite of pride, self-reliance, self-interest..

Qur'an: "InnaAllah ma'as sabireen: Verily Allah is WITH those who have sabr."

Ya Allah, make us of those who have sabr, and grant us Your mercy and Your forgiveness.

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 26 November 2006 at 4:57am

Assalamu alaikum

SubhanAllah, JazakAllah khair brother, mashaAllah very informative posts. I want to carry on with topic of taqwa for a bit longer inshaAllah. Regarding sister amah's question of attaining taqwa and sister herjihad's comment about intending to have taqwa but not having it, I think the cure or way to get there is same.

First of all we need to educate ourselves with the had of (the boundaries and limits set by) Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. That we do by reading Holy Quran with the explanation to find out the rulings and because human self wants reasons so most of times tafaasir give reasons behind the law and the benefit of the law. For people who already have read different explanation would agree with me that even for them when they down on Imaan, reading Holy Quran and pondering about it helps increasing your imaan. I think it is saying of Umar (ra) that taqwa is when you stop yourself reaching had of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. So real taqwa is not just having pure intention but stoping yourself falling into sin.

As sister herjihad mentioned about intending but not having taqwa, i think for that you need to be on guard all the time. At start it is hard on the self to give up something which you are use to. Your ownself whispers to you that it is not that bad, the way forward would be having company of people who are slightly more strict than you are. Not compromising on the forbidden even 0.00001% and trying to avoid what comes under grey helps keeping you strong. I will tell you my personal experience, i used to be a sports fanatic, still like watching few of em. Now problem is that most of them have their aurah not covered. So alhamdulillah i gaveup watching tennis, athletics and gymnastics but there is slight window in football. Because sometimes i think they have long enough shorts, it covers their aurah. Problem with that is i am wasting my time which i am accountable for and the it is in grey area because some scholar consider aurah of men from bellybutton to the knees. Now the other day i saw effect of me listening to my nafs, while watching sports i flicked across another channel and there was programme going on called Xfactor. I thought to myself its just those people singing without music and im just listening to their voice and thats not that bad.

Thats what is the main problem, if you involve yourself in little wrongs, the slightly bigger ones start looking like small to you and you keep going further away. So best thing would be educating self and then restricting the nafs, it is hard but ask Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala for help and He hates sending His slaves empty handed. Another thing which helps me is sitting on prayer matt and talking to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. End of every day after I'sha just sit and think about if you have done something wrong, ask for forgiveness. Sometimes i think how am i ever going to achieve pleasure of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala being so lazy and negligent and that motviates me. Other times i think what am i going to do if on The Day of Judgement Allah subhanahau wa ta'ala is displeased with me. So i think it differs situation to situation what is going to keep you motivated. First explore yourself, know what you truely desire from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and then work on it inshaAllah.

Sister abeer said, 'Fatima, I'm still not sure about blameworthy sabr'. There is a saying of Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassalam that showing arrogance in the face of arrogant is part of jihad. I have only heard one scholar talking about this, he said when your patience gets portrayed as weakness that is blameworthy, when the name of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala becomes under attack and you dont get up to defend it and you think you are showing patience in adversity, that is blameworthy. So basically when you let someone make 'dhulm' their habbit, that comes under blameworthy patience.

wassalam

-------------

Posted By: Alwardah
Date Posted: 26 November 2006 at 8:31am

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Sister Fatima, when you mentioned the title Islam in Diversity I immediately thought it was something to do with Muslims from different countries. Alhamdulillah! Masha Allah! it is not.

Jazakallahu Khairan  for starting a very beneficial thread, which I may add is very well overdue.

Volumes have being written on both Topics �Taqwa and Sabr.

Taqwa and Sabr are very closely linked to our level of Iman. Masha Allah many Ayah and Hadith have being mentioned regarding both Taqwa and Sabr. If we have weak Iman, we fear and love others more than Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala, and we don�t have Sabr at the first stroke of the calamity.

Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala prescribed fasting for us in the month of Ramadan so that we may acquire Taqwa.

��������� ��������� ���������� ������ ���������� ���������� ����� ������ ����� ��������� ��� ���������� ����������� ����������

O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may acquire Taqwa (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 183)

��������� ������� �������������

And Allah loves those who are patient. (Surah Al-Imran 3: 146)

We have to realize that everything Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala decrees for us from amongst the good and the evil is for our benefit. Whatever occurred to us could not have missed us and what missed us could never have reached us.

When we have weak Iman, our first reaction to trials beyond our control is anger and we say �Why me?� Without realizing it we are angry with Allah and His Decree. Astaghfirullah!

If someone wrongs us we immediately curse or make Dua against that person. Astaghfirullah!

We become impatient, frustrated and end up with acute depression.

Iman comes first. Intentions, Taqwa and Sabr follow. The higher the level of one�s Iman the greater is trials and tribulations. The story of Prophet Ayyub (Alayhi Salam) is a beautiful example.

This is my understanding on this topic. Insha Allah I will post again after referring to the works of some scholars.

Wa Alaikum Salam

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)

Posted By: candid
Date Posted: 26 November 2006 at 11:41pm

Quote Thats what is the main problem, if you involve yourself in little wrongs, the slightly bigger ones start looking like small to you and you keep going further away.

Another thing is that you should keep off from the company of those who do not follow Islamic way of life.

Date Posted: 27 November 2006 at 4:30am

Assalamu alaikum

Brother Candid wrote, 'Another thing is that you should keep off from the company of those who do not follow Islamic way of life'.  Yes you are so right, there is a hadith which says 'a man is on the religion of his friends'. So we should be really careful about the company we keep.

Now i want to come back to Brother seekshidayah's post about patience (i dint have enough time yesterday  ). Brother mentioned three forms of sabr, but i read another type that imam ghazali and many other scolars mention. It is that you can complain to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala about the hardship in a way which is befiting His High stat, i.e. 'SubhanAllah I am suffering or this situation is really testing me my Lord and i am a weak human being so i ask you to give me patience'. It is also mentioned that you can even tell His creation like 'SubhanAllah i have this problem and i am suffering but i am sure that whatever comes from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is good for a believer. So i ask Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala for patience and please pray for me'. So basically you are not talking against the will of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala but scholars don't consider this to be 'sabr jamil'.

In the third type which according to your post seems highest state is bit  'i am not too sure' type for me. Because although a believer is content with the ridha of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, his being happy with the hardship is bit tricky for me. Because Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala wants His slave to show humbleness in those situations. 23:76] We inflicted Punishment on them, but they humbled not themselves to their Lord, nor do they submissively entreat (Him)!-

We are told that in Prophets we have examples for us to follow and Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala tells us in Holy Quran the story of Ayub alayhis salaam and what his reaction was to the adversities he faced. He prayed
"Truly adversity has afflicted me and You are Most Merciful of all who show mercy." (21: 83)

Although he was content with the decree of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, he wanted the affliction to be removed.

Allah accepted his prayer.  The Holy Qur'an affirms: "Then We heard his prayer and removed that adversity from which he suffered, and We gave him his household and the like thereof along with them, a mercy from Our store and remembrance for the worshippers."  (21: 84)

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala tells us in Surah Quraish that peace and prosperity are two of His blessing which quraish should be thankful for.

[Yusufali 106:1] For the covenants (of security and safeguard enjoyed) by the Quraish,
[Yusufali 106:2] Their covenants (covering) journeys by winter and summer,-
[Yusufali 106:3] Let them adore the Lord of this House,
[Yusufali 106:4] Who provides them with food against hunger, and with security against fear (of danger).

Although a hardship could prove to be a blessing in disguise because it might help you achieve a higher state with Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala because of your patience but in itself is a test. Human beings are made weak and a test is always hard on self. There is a hadith in Musnad Ahmad, a dua in which Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassalam said, 'If you want to test people, then take me to you without having to undergo the test' 5:243. But i agree that a believer should be content with whatever befalls him because it is all from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Thinking about it prosperity in wealth and family is also a test [Yusufali 64:15] Your riches and your children may be but a trial: but in the Presence of Allah, is the highest, Reward.
 so may Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala give us patience in every trial and an ability to thank Him for blessings, ameen

wassalam

-------------

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 27 November 2006 at 5:55am

Assalamu alaikum

JazakumAllah Khair.

wassalam

Assalamu Alaikum,

Masha Allah, many members have already made tremendous contributions here, but I would still like to take part here to earn some sawab ( blessing ) of Allah ( SWT ), insha Allah.

I think what these ahadith ( in connection with wudu ) mean is that we should properly wash each required body part in wudu ( ablution ), and at the same time, do so without wasting water.

Intention is more important than action. Many times we do things, but our intentions are not for the sake of Allah. If we do anything good just to please the world, and not for the sake of Allah, that act will get no rewards in the hereafter.

Volume 8, Book 76, Number 506:

Narrated Jundub:

The Prophet said, "He who lets the people hear of his good deeds intentionally, to win their praise, Allah will let the people know his real intention (on the Day of Resurrection), and he who does good things in public to show off and win the praise of the people, Allah will disclose his real intention (and humiliate him).

My next topic is 'Patience' Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has told us to be patient in conditions because the end is for the one who shows patience. What in your view is praiseworthy patience and what would be blameworthy?

Wassalam

Here are some ahadith on patience.

Volume 7, Book 70, Number 545:
Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri and Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said, "No fatigue, nor disease, nor sorrow, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that."

Volume 7, Book 70, Number 547:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "The example of a believer is that of a fresh tender plant; from whatever direction the wind comes, it bends it, but when the wind becomes quiet, it becomes straight again. Similarly, a believer is afflicted with calamities (but he remains patient till Allah removes his difficulties.) And an impious wicked person is like a pine tree which keeps hard and straight till Allah cuts (breaks) it down when He wishes." (See Hadith No. 558, Vol. 9.)

Volume 3, Book 43, Number 624:

Narrated Anas:

Allah's Apostle said, "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one. People asked, "O Allah's Apostle! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?" The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others."

Therefore, regarding blame worthy patience, as we see in above hadith, I agree with Sister Fatima: "when you let someone make 'dhulm' their habbit, that comes under blameworthy patience."

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Date Posted: 27 November 2006 at 6:26am

I mentioned in the previous response that Intention, Taqwa and Sabr are all linked and Iman is the master key. A weak Iman equals a lower level of Taqwa and Sabr.

We must remember that when we discuss the different aspects of Islam, new terms will always be introduced.

Here are some words of wisdom from the Companions of the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) and other scholars.

Abu Darda (Radhi Allahu Anhu) said: "From the completion of Taqwa is that the slaves fears from his Lord even with regards to things the weight of an atom."

Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu)  was asked about Taqwa. He said, "It is a road full of thorns. One who walks it needs to have extreme patience."

Sufyaan ath-Thawri (Rahimahullah) said, "We met a people who loved it when it was said to them - Fear Allah the Most High. Today you find that people only become annoyed at this."

A person asked Fudhayl ibn `Iyaad (Rahimahullah), "Which country would you like me to live in?� Fudhayl replied, "There is no connection between you and any nation.
The best country for you is the country which helps you to acquire Taqwa."

One of the salaf said: �Believers and unbelievers alike may have patience at a time of adversity, but only people of strong faith can have patience at a time of ease.� Therefore Allah warned against the Fitnah of wealth, wives and children:

�O you who believe! Let not your riches or your children divert you from the remembrance of All�h. If any act thus, the loss is their own.� (Surah Al-Munafiqun 63:9)

�O you who believe! Truly, among your wives and your children are (some that are) enemies to yourselves: so beware of them!� (Surah At-Taghabun 64:14)

Patience has many shades. Here are a few. Insha Allah the members can add to this list.

1. Patience in accepting the decree of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala � good or bad
  2. Patience in following His Command and Obeying His Messenger (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam).
  3. Patience at time of hunger.
  4. Patience when faced with temptation of a male/female.
  5. Patience when faced with death or loss of property or wealth and other adversities.

Patience and Iman are prerequisites for leadership in religion: �And We appointed, from among them, leaders, giving guidance under Our commands, so long as they persevered with patience and continued to have faith in Our Signs� (Surah As-Sajdah 32:24).

Patience and Taqwa are conditions for Allah�s help and support: �Yea � if you hold on to patience and piety, even if the enemy should rush here on you in hot haste, your Lord would help you with five thousand angels  having marks (of distinction)� (Surah Al �Imran 3:125).

Allah has mentioned patience alongside the pillars of Islam and Iman, as He has mentioned it alongside Salah: �Nay, seek (Allah�s) help with patient perseverance and prayer�� (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:45)

And finally indeed ACTIONS ARE BY INTENTIONS AND EVERY MAN SHALL HAVE BUT THAT WHICH HE INTENDED.

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)

Date Posted: 29 November 2006 at 12:30am

As'salamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I now lost my patience , as was waiting for Amah's question to be answered

"Allah loves the muttaqee (person with taqwa). Can all of you give your pointers on how to increase our taqwa?"

Though may seem easy, but i could not recollect many points. Can this point of increasing taqwa be answered.

As'salamualaikum

-------------

Date Posted: 29 November 2006 at 3:19am

I posted in the previous page what i try to do when i am a bit down and that is read Holy Quran with understanding and few other things. You got to read that post for details and alhamdulillah i am still waiting patiently  on my other brothers and sisters to share their experiences. So what do you do when you feel a bit off the track?

wassalam

-------------

Posted By: Knowledge01
Date Posted: 29 November 2006 at 5:41pm
Sabr ( Patience )

By Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah.

An abridgement of his original work entitled, �Uddat as-S�bireen wa Dh�kirat by TaHa Publications
The Definition of Patience
Sabr is an Arabic word which comes from a root meaning to detain, refrain and stop. There is an expression in Arabic, "so-and-so was killed sabran," which means that he was captured and detained until he died. In the spiritual sense, patience means to stop ourselves from despairing and panicking, to stop our tongues from complaining, and to stop our hands from striking our faces and tearing our clothes at times of grief and stress.
What scholars have said about patience
Some scholars have defined patience as a good human characteristic or a positive psychological attitude, by virtue of which we refrain from doing that which is not good. Human beings cannot live a proper, healthy life without patience.

Abu 'Uthman said: "the one who has patience is the one who has trained himself to handle difficulties."

'Amr ibn 'Uthman al-Makki said: "Patience means to keep close to Allah and to accept calmly the trials He sends, without complaining or feeling sad."

Al-Khawwas said: "Patience means to adhere to the rules of the Qur'an and Sunnah."

Another scholar said: "Patience means to refrain from complaining."

Ali ibn Abi Talib said: "Patience means to seek Allah's help."
Is it better to have patience at a time of difficulty, or to be in a situation which does not require patience?
Abu Muhammad al-Hariri said: "Patience means not seeing any difference between times of ease and times of hardship, and being content at all times." I (Ibn Qayyim) say: This is too difficult, and we are not instructed to be like this. Allah has created us in such a way that we feel the difference between times of ease and times of hardship, and all that we can do is refrain from panicking at times of stress. Patience does not mean feeling the same at both easy and difficult times. That is beyond us, and is not part of our nature. Having an easy time is better for us than having a difficult time. As the Prophet (SAAS) said in his well-known du'a: "If You are not angry with me, then I do not care what happens to me, but still I would rather have Your blessings and favour." This does not contradict the hadith which says, "No-one has ever been given a better gift than patience," because that refers to after a test or trial has befallen a person. But ease is still better.
Patience and Shakwah (complaint)
Shakwah (complaint) falls into two categories: The first type means to complain to Allah, and this does not contradict patience. It is demonstrated by several of the Prophets, for example, when Ya qub (AS) said:
"I only complain of my distraction and anguish to Allah." (Yusuf 12:86).

Earlier, Ya'qub (AS) had said "sabrun jamil" which means "patience is most fitting for me." The Qur'an also tells us about Ayyub:
"And (remember) Ayyub (Job), when he cried to his Lord, 'Truly distress has seized me. (al-Anbiya 21:83).

The epitome of patience, the Prophet (SAAS), prayed to his Lord: " O Allah, I complain to You of my weakness and helplessness." Musa (AS) prayed to Allah, saying: "O Allah, all praise is due to You, and complaint is made only to You, and You are the only One from Whom we seek help and in Whom we put our trust, and there is no power except by Your help." The second type of complaint involves complaining to people, either directly, through our words, or indirectly, through the way we look and behave. This is contradictory to patience.
Opposing forces
Psychologically speaking, every person has two forces at work within him or her. One is the "driving force", which pushes him towards some actions, and the other is the "restraining force", which holds him back from others. Patience essentially harnesses the driving force to push us towards good things, and the restraining force to hold us back from actions that may be harmful to ourselves or others. Some people have strong patience when it comes to doing what is good for them, but their patience is weak with regard to restraint from harmful actions, so we may find that a person has enough patience to perform acts of worship (Salah, Sawm, Hajj), but has no patience in controlling himself and refraining from following his whims and desires, and in this way he may commit haram deeds. Conversely, some people may have strong patience in abstaining from forbidden deeds, but their patience in obeying commandments and performing 'ibadah is too weak. Some people have no patience in either case! And, needless to say, the best people are those who possess both types of patience. So, a man may have plenty of patience when it comes to standing all night in prayer, and enduring whatever conditions of heat or cold may be prevalent, but have no patience at all when it comes to lowering his gaze and refraining from looking at women. Another may have no problem in controlling his gaze, but he lacks the patience which would make him enjoin the good and forbid the evil, and he is so weak and helpless that he cannot strive against the kuffar and mushrikun. Most people will be lacking in patience in any one case, and a few lack it in all cases.
Further definition of patience
A scholar said: "To have patience means that one's common sense and religious motives are stronger than one's whims and desires." It is natural for people to have an inclination towards their desires, but common sense and the religious motive should limit that inclination. The two forces are at war: sometimes reason and religion win, and sometimes whims and desires prevail. The battlefield is the heart of man.

Patience has many other names, according to the situation. If patience consists of restraining sexual desire, it is called honour, the opposite of which is adultery and promiscuity. If it consists of controlling one's stomach, it is called self-control, the opposite of which is greed. If it consists of keeping quiet about that which it is not fit to disclose, it is called discretion, the opposite of which is disclosing secrets, lying, slander or libel. If it consists of being content with what is sufficient for one's needs, it is called abstemiousness, the opposite of which is covetousness. If it consists of controlling one's anger, then it is called forbearance, the opposite of which is impulsiveness and hasty reaction. If it consists of refraining from haste, then it is called gracefulness and steadiness, the opposite of which is to be hotheaded. If it consists of refraining from running away, then it is called courage, the opposite of which is cowardice. If it consists of refraining from taking revenge, then it is called forgiveness, the opposite of which is revenge. If it consists of refraining from being stingy, then it is called generosity, the opposite of which is miserliness. If it consists of refraining from being lazy and helpless, then it is called dynamism and initiative. If it consists of refraining from blaming and accusing other people, then it is called chivalry {muru'ah literally "manliness").

Different names may be applied to patience in different situations, but ail are covered by the idea of patience. This shows that Islam in its totality is based on patience.
Is it possible to obtain the quality of patience?
If a person does not naturally possess the characteristic of patience, he can attain this characteristic by acting as if he does possess it, until it eventually becomes second nature. This is what the Prophet (SAAS) has told us in the hadith: "Whoever tries to be patient, then Allah will help him to be patient." A person can also strive to control his sexual desire and lower his gaze until these too become second nature. The same applies to all other desirable characteristics such a steadiness, generosity and courage.
Different perspectives on patience
Patience may be of two types, either physical or psychological, and both types may either be by choice, or without choice, as follows:

1. Physical patience by choice, such as doing hard labour willingly.

2. Physical patience without choice, such as patiently bearing illness, beatings and extremes of heat and cold.

3. Psychological patience by choice, such as refraining from things which both the Shar�ah and common sense say are wrong.

4. Psychological patience without choice, such as patiently bearing an enforced separation from one whom you love.

Different degrees of patience
As mentioned above, patience is of two types, by choice or without choice. Patience by choice is of a higher status than patience without choice, as the latter is common to all people, but the former is not attainable by all. Therefore the patience of Y�suf in disobeying the wife of al-�Az�z, and his patience in bearing the resulting punishment, is of higher status than his patience in response to his brothers� actions, when they threw him in the well, separated him from his father and sold him as a slave. This superior, voluntary, patience is the patience of the Prophets, of Ibr�h�m, M�s�, N�h, �Īs� and the Seal of the Prophets, Muhammad (SAAS). Their patience was in calling the people to All�h and in striving against the enemies of All�h.
The patience of men and the patience of animals
These four types of patience apply only to human beings. Animals share only the two types of patience in which there is no choice, and man is distinguished by having the patience in which there is choice. However, many people have only the types of patience that animals have, i.e. patience without choice.
The patience of jinn
Jinn share the quality of patience with humans, as they are responsible for their actions like humans are. They need patience to fulfil their responsibilities towards All�h the same way that we do. One might ask: are they responsible in the same way that we are, or in a different way? The answer is that with regard to matters of emotion and feelings they are responsible just as we are, and share the obligation to love for the sake of All�h and hate for All�h, to believe and have faith, to take believers for friends and unbelievers for enemies, etc. But as far as physical matters such as ghusl, wud��, washing after relieving oneself and circumcision are concerned, they are not the same as us. Their duties in that regard are in accordance with the way they are created.
The patience of the angels
Another question that may arise is: Do angels have patience? The answer is that angels are not tested with whims and desires that contradict their reason and knowledge. For them, worshipping and obeying All�h are like breathing is for us. Therefore the angels do not need patience, because patience is needed when one has conflicting motives, religion and reason opposite to whims and desires. However, the angels may have some kind of patience which befits them and makes them persevere in doing what they were created for.
The patience of man
If a man�s patience is stronger than his whims and desires, then he is like an angel, but if his whims and desires are stronger than his patience, then he is like a devil. If his desire for food, drink and sex is stronger than his patience, then he is no better than an animal.

Qat�dah said: �All�h created angels with reason and no desires, animals with desires and no reason, and man with both reason and desires.� So if a man�s reason is stronger than his desire he is like an angel, and if his desires are stronger than his reason, then he is like an animal. A little baby has only the desire for food when he needs it, and his patience is like the patience of animals. Until he reaches an age when he can tell what is what, he has no choice. When he grows a little older and develops a desire to play, then his patience by choice will develop. He will start to know what patience means when his sexual desire develops. At the same time, his power of reasoning is also developing, but between the age when he can tell right from wrong and the age of puberty, all he can see is his own interests in this world, and what might make life good or bad. This limited view will remain until he is guided by All�h, then he will have the full picture and begin to think of his interests both in this life and the hereafter. He will become aware of where different actions may lead, and will prepare himself for a long struggle with his desires and natural inclinations.
Different degrees of patience
The kinds of patience which relate to resisting whims and desires can be graded according to how strong and effective they are. There are three degrees of patience in this respect:

1. The motive of religion is strongest in controlling and defeating the whims and desires. This level of control can only be achieved through consistent patience, and those who reach this level are victorious in this life and in the hereafter. They are the ones �who say, �Our Lord is All�h�� (Fussil�t 41:30). These are the ones to whom, at the moment of death, the angels say,
�Fear not!...Nor grieve! But receive the Glad Tidings of the Garden (of Bliss), that which you were promised! We are your protectors in this life and the Hereafter." (Fussil�t 41:30-31).

They are the ones who enjoy the companionship of All�h, and who strive in the way of All�h. They are the ones whom All�h has guided to the exclusion of others.

2. When whims and desires prevail, the religious motive is diminished. The doomed person will surrender totally to Shayt�n and his forces, who will lead him wherever they want. His relationship with them will be either of two possibilities. Either he will become their follower and a soldier in their army, which is the case of the weak person, or Shayt�n will become a weapon for him, and one of his soldiers, which is the case of the strong person who rebels against All�h. Those people are the ones whose misfortune has overtaken them, as they preferred this world to the Hereafter. The main reason for their sorry fate is that they ran out of patience. The major characteristic of these people is that they lie and cheat, indulge in wishful thinking and self-admiration, delay doing good deeds, and prefer instant gains in this world to lasting gains in the Hereafter. These are the people to whom the Prophet (SAAS) referred when he said:
�The helpless man is the one who follows his whims and desires, and indulges in wishful thinking.�

These unfortunate people are of several types. Some of them declare war against All�h and His Messenger, trying to destroy what the Prophet (SAAS) brought, pushing people away from the way of All�h, and spreading corruption on earth. Some are interested solely in their worldly interests. Some are two faced hypocrites who try to ingratiate themselves with everybody and gain something from every situation. Some are promiscuous, and devote their entire life to the pursuit of physical pleasure. Some, if they are warned, say that they would dearly love to repent, find it too difficult and plead they have no chance. Some say that All�h does not need their prayers and fasting, that they will not attain salvation by virtue of their deed, and that they will rely on the fact that All�h is Merciful. Some of them claim that refraining from committing wrong actions is like undermining the forgiveness of All�h. Some will say, �What good could my worship do after all the wrong actions I have committed? What can help a drowning man if his fingers are above water and the rest of his body is submerged?� Some say that they will repent when death approaches...

So many excuses, all because their whims and desires control their reason, and they use their reason, in turn, to find ways of fulfilling those desires. Their reason is held prisoner by the Shayt�n, and put to work to serve his evil purposes, just as Muslim prisoners-of-war may be abused by the k�fir�n and forced to look after pigs, make wine or carry the cross. The man who suppresses his reason and puts it under the control of the enemy (Shayt�n) is like the one who seizes a Muslim and hands him over to the k�fir�n to imprison him.

3. There is a war that is raging between the motives of reason and religion, and the motives of whims and desires. Sometimes one prevails, sometimes the other gains the upper hand. The pattern of victories for either side varies. This is the situation in the case of most believers, who mix good deeds and bad deeds.

People�s ultimate fate in the Hereafter will correspond to the three situations outlined above. Some people will enter Paradise and never enter Hell, some will enter Hell and never enter Paradise, and some will enter Hell for some time before they are admitted to Paradise.
Different strengths of patience
Some people cannot have patience without struggling and facing many difficulties. Others are able to have patience easily. The first type is like a man who wrestles with a strong man and cannot beat him with the utmost effort. The second type is like a man who wrestles with a weak man and beats him easily. Such is the war between the soldiers of ar-Rahm�n and the soldiers of Shayt�n. Whoever defeats the soldiers of Shayt�n can defeat Shayt�n himself. �Abdull�h ibn Mas��d narrated:
�A man wrestled with one of the jinn, and beat him, then asked, �Why are you so weak and small?� The jinn answered, �I am very big and strong compared to the rest of the jinn.�� Someone asked �Abdullah ibn Mas��d, �Was that man, �Umar?� and he replied, �Who else could it have been?�

Some of the Sah�bah said,
�A believer whips the Shayt�n like the way a person whips his camel when he is travelling.�

Ibn Abi�d-Duny� narrated from some of the salaf that one shayt�n met with another, and asked him why he was so thin. The other shayt�n replied,
�Because I am a with a man who mentions the name of All�h when he eats, so I cannot eat with him, and he mentions the name of All�h when he drinks, so I cannot drink with him. When he enters his home he mentions the name of All�h, so I stay outside.� The first shayt�n said, �But I am with a man who does not mention the name of All�h when he eats, so I eat with him. He does not mention the name of All�h when he drinks, so I drink with him. When he enters his home he does not mention the name of All�h, so I enter with him."

So whoever develops the habit of patience is feared by his enemies, and whoever finds patience difficult is in danger, as his enemy will readily dare to attack him and do him harm.
When patience is needed
Patience is required in the following areas of life:

1. In worshipping All�h and following His commands,
2. In abstaining from wrong actions,
3. In accepting All�h�s decree and ruling (qad� wa qadr). This is the advice given to Luqm�n when he told his son:
�O my son! establish regular prayer, enjoin what is just and forbid what is wrong; and bear with patient constancy whatever betide you; for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs.� (Luqm�n 31:17)

Enjoining what is just includes doing good oneself, and forbidding what is wrong includes abstaining from wrong action oneself.
Patience in worshipping All�h
Patience in worshipping All�h and carrying out His instructions means that you perform the prescribed acts of worship regularly and do so sincerely and with knowledge. Worship that is not performed regularly is of no value. Even if worship is performed regularly, there are two dangers. Firstly, we risk losing our sincerity, if the motive for performing prayers is not to please All�h and draw closer to Him.

So to protect our worship we must make sure that we are sincere. Secondly, we must be sure never to deviate from the way of the Prophet (SAAS), so we have to ensure that our worship is done according to the Sunnah.

Patience in abstaining from wrong action
This type of patience can be achieved through the fear of the punishment which follows the wrong action, or through a feeling of hay� (shyness or shame) before All�h for using His blessings in committing wrong actions. That feeling of hay� before All�h can be strengthened through learning more about All�h and knowing more about His names and attributes. Hay� is a characteristic of people who are noble and possess good qualities, so the person who refrains from wrong action because of hay� is better than the one who abstains because of fear. Hay� indicates that a person is mindful of All�h and His might. The person whose deterrent is the fear of All�h has his thoughts focused on the punishment. The fearful person�s main concern is himself and how to save himself from the punishment, whereas the �shy� person�s main concern is All�h and His Glory. Both have attained the status of �m�n, but the �shy� person has attained ihs�n, a higher status of �m�n, in which he conducts himself as if he can see All�h, and so his heart is filled with hay�.

The reason why it is so important for a believer to abstain from wrong action is because he must protect his �m�n, as wrong action decreases �m�n or extinguishes it. The Prophet (SAAS) said,
�When the adulterer commits adultery he is not a believer, and when the winebibber drinks alcohol he is not a believer and when the thief steals he is not a believer. The believer should abstain from many permitted actions in case they may lead to that which is forbidden.�

Patience at times of trial and adversity
Patience during difficult times may be achieved by:

1. thinking of the good reward that lies ahead. The more you believe in the rewards that are waiting for you, the easier it becomes to have patience. If it were not for the anticipation of the rewards, no goals or objectives pertaining to this life or the hereafter would have been achieved. Human nature loves instant gratification, but reason and maturity make us think of the long term outcome, which helps to strengthen our patience in enduring whatever faces us, whether there is no choice or otherwise;

2. expecting and hoping for a time of ease. This hope in itself offers a measure of immediate relief;

3. thinking of All�h�s countless blessings. When we realize that we cannot enumerate the blessings of All�h, it becomes easier for us to exercise patience in facing the current adversity, because the present troubles are like a raindrop compared to vast ocean of All�h�s blessings and favours;

4. thinking of previous blessings of All�h. This will remind us of All�h�s care, and strengthen our hopes ad expectations of a time of ease to come.
Five Categories of Patience
Five Categories of Patience Patience can also be divided into categories following the five categories of deeds, namely w�jib (obligatory), mand�b (encouraged), mahdh�r (forbidden), makr�h (disliked) and mub�h (permissible).
Obligatory (w�jib) patience
1. Patience in abstaining from forbidden (har�m) things and actions,

2. Patience in carrying out obligatory deeds,

3. Patience in facing adversity which is beyond one�s control, such as illness, poverty, etc.

Encouraged (mand�b) patience
1. Patience in abstaining from disliked (makr�h) things,

2. Patience in performing acts of worship which are liked and encouraged (mustahabb)

3. Patience in refraining from taking revenge.
Forbidden (mahdh�r) patience
1. Patience in abstaining from food and drink until death.

2. Patience in abstaining from eating har�m meat, carrion and blood, when the alternative is death and starvation. Tawus and Ahmad ibn Hanbal said, �Whoever has no choice but to eat carrion, har�m meat and blood, but refuses to eat it and dies as a consequence, will enter Hell.�

3. Patience in refraining from begging. There is a dispute as to whether begging from people is forbidden or permissible. Imam Ahmad said that this kind of patience and abstention is allowed. He was asked, �What if a person fears that if he does not do this, he will die?� Imam Ahmad answered, �No, he will not die. All�h will send him his due provision (rizq).�Imam Ahmad did not allow begging: when All�h knows the need of a person and his sincerity in abstaining from begging, All�h will send him rizq. Other scholars, including some of Imam Ahmad�s companions and Imam ash-Shafi�� said, �It is obligatory on such a person to beg, and if he did not beg, than he would be a wrongdoer, because by begging he protects himself from death.�

4. Patience in enduring things that may lead to death, such as predators, snakes, fire and water.

5. Patience at times of fitnah when the Muslims are fighting Muslims. Patience in abstaining from fighting at such a time, when Muslims are killing Muslims, is mub�h (permissible), indeed it is mustahabb (liked and preferred). When the Prophet (SAAS) was asked about this, he said, �Be like the better of the two sons of Ādam.� In other, similar reports he said, �Be like the slave of All�h who was killed, and not like the one who has killed,� and �let him (the killer) carry his own wrong action and your wrong action.� In another report, he said, �If the sword is too bright, put your hand on your face.� All�h has told us the story of the better of the two sons of Ādam, and how he surrendered himself and did not fight back, and how All�h commended him for that. This is different to the case when Muslims are fighting k�fir�n: in that situation the Muslim has to defend himself, because the meaning of Jihad is to defend himself and Isl�m.

Disliked (makr�h) patience
1. Patience in abstaining from physical appetites (food, drink, sex) to the extent of causing damage to one�s health.

2. Patience in doing a makr�h deed.
Permissible (mub�h) patience
Patience in abstaining from mub�h deeds. Patience and Gratitude By Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah

To read more from what Ibn Qayyim says about patience go here.....http://abdurrahman.org/character/patiencequransunna h.html#2

Date Posted: 04 December 2006 at 5:29am

Assalamu Alaikum,

"Allah loves the muttaqee (person with taqwa). Can all of you give your pointers on how to increase our taqwa?"

Possible solution: One should read Qur�an, fast, do good deeds such as help your neighbor, help the needy, do something that will help the cause of truth and justice anywhere etc. These things can raise the level of Taqwa.

Above all, try to think positive as much as possible.

"Then which of the blessings of your Lord will you both ( jinn and men ) deny?"

Qur'an: 55: 13

Allah knows best.

Peace

-------------

Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 11:19am

Back from my short break. I need to take these short breaks from the internet and other media to preserve my sanity.

"Allah loves the muttaqee (person with taqwa). Can all of you give your pointers ................... 

I would say we should increase our Ibadah by adding Sunnah acts. For example -we pray five times daily. Before and after the compulsory prayers (Fard) the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) prayed some Rakat before of after each Salah.

I already mentioned somewhere in a previous post, an Ayah from the Glorious Qur'an

O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may acquire Taqwa (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 183)

This Ayah refers to Fasting in the Month of Ramadan, but we can fast other days as well. The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) advised us to fast on Mondays and Thursdays or the 3 days in the middle of the Lunar month i.e. 13th. 14th, 15th.

Reciting and studying the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah. Contemplating on the meanings, asking Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala for Jannatul-Firdaus when reading Ayat describing Jannah and seeking HIS Refuge from Hell-fire when reading Ayat  describing Hell-fire. Try to study everyday even if it means a few Ayah.

Keeping our tongues moist with Dhikr.

Constantly doing righteous deeds increases Taqwa as Brother Peacemaker mentioned.

But beware of Pride �Kibr� as pride kills Taqwa.

Wa Alaikum Salam

-------------

Date Posted: 06 December 2006 at 11:50pm

Jazakallah members {Fatima peacemaker Alwardah} for sharing the pointers of taqwa.

And "Fatima" regarding experiences during off-track, well, i try my best to observe patience. But i like such days since they bring me more closer to Allah ta'ala.

As'salamualaikum.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 December 2006 at 10:50am

Still on the topic of Taqwa I want to share this Hadith with you.

It was reported that `Umar bin Al-Khattab (Radhi Allahu Anhu) asked Ubayy bin Ka`b (Radhi Allahu Anhu) about Taqwa. Ubayy said, "Have you ever walked on a path that has thorns on it'' `Umar said, "Yes.'' Ubayy said, "What did you do then'' He said, "I rolled up my sleeves and struggled.'' Ubayy said, "That is Taqwa.''

(Tafsir ibn Kathir volume 1 page 109)

-------------

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 09 December 2006 at 9:15pm

I posted in the previous page what i try to do when i am a bit down and that is read Holy Quran with understanding and few other things. You got to read that post for details and alhamdulillah i am still waiting patiently  on my other brothers and sisters to share their experiences. So what do you do when you feel a bit off the track?

wassalam

Wa alaikum assalaam sister Fatima.

I also read the Qur'an when I am depressed, preplexed about things in life. I also listen to recitations of the Qur'an in my car when commuting for work. I also have recordings of some of the newer nasheeds, some what are targeted more for the education of children about Islam, and are a fantastic way for the adult believer to get back to basics with a smile.It is like learning arabic, sometimes I play with the basic computer programs that teach the basic words just so I can improve my pronounciation. I use the Dhikr beads t take my mind off bad thoughts. We have so many options! Inshallah, our thoughts should not leave the path!

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 12 December 2006 at 7:33am

Assalamu alaikum

Alhamdulillah it does help to recite and ponder over the meanings of The Holy Quran. But i have experienced this laziness in reading The Holy Quran, sometime i involve myself with little meaningless things which take my time. Other time i feel like not reading it (astaghfirullah) and sometime very strange thoughts cross my mind and i dont give much attention to what i am reading. So what should a person do in that scenario?

wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 12 December 2006 at 8:02am

As Salamu Alaikum

200. And if an evil whisper comes to you from Shaitan, then seek refuge with Allah. Verily He is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

201. Verily those who are Al-Muttaqun (the pious) when an evil thought comes to them from Shaitan, they remember (Allah) and (indeed) they then see (aright).

Surah Al-A'raf 7: 200-201

Wa Alaikum Salam

-------------

Date Posted: 12 December 2006 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

As Salamu Alaikum

200. And if an evil whisper comes to you from Shaitan, then seek refuge with Allah. Verily He is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

201. Verily those who are Al-Muttaqun (the pious) when an evil thought comes to them from Shaitan, they remember (Allah) and (indeed) they then see (aright).

Surah Al-A'raf 7: 200-201

Wa Alaikum Salam

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahukhair for this reminder.

And jazakallahukhair to all of you for your wonderful posts. Reading the quran EVERYDAY with understanding (tafseer) has proven to be number one in increasing my taqwa.

More later, insha allah, gotta run now!.........wassalaam.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 December 2006 at 4:02am

JazakAllah khair sis, this brings me to my next topic, that is dua and conviction in dua.

So when we asking Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala to protect us from evil thoughts or any other dua, what is right state of mind, what are the manners and what should be belief behind it?

For me it is very scientific as the drug efficacy changes with your attitude so does the results and implications of a dua because of conviction. I want people to share their experiences with their understanding of this concept.

wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 14 December 2006 at 9:43am

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said: �Dua is worship�(reported by Imam Ahmad)

Dua is a personal matter between Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala and His servants.

Personally I prefer to recite the Duas the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) taught his Companions. Although these Duas are Mustahabb (highly recommended or encouraged) and no one is committing a sin by omitting them, by learning and reciting these Duas I feel,  a) that I am turning to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala and acknowledging the fact that only HE can answer my Duas and  b) practicing a Sunnah and thus Insha Allah we will be greatly rewarded by Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala.

I recite the morning and evening Adkhaar (Duas) daily or else my day feels incomplete.

http://www.makedua.com/ - www.makedua.com (the Duas are available at this site)

Many factors play a role in the acceptance of our Duas. All the renowned scholars emphasis that Sincerity is the most important condition needed, in order to get our Dua answered. And Sincerity means having the firm belief that the One upon Whom we are calling, Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala is ALONE able to meet our needs.

Allah loves a servant who turns to HIM all the time and Insha Allah He will protect us from Shaitan and his army and all other evils which He created.  Ameen

Wa Alaikum Salam 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 December 2006 at 11:08pm

Alwaradah i totally agree with your post. Apart from the "Mustahabb duaein", as you mentioned that dua is a matter between Allah Ta'ala and his believer,  -----

Here i  would like to say that, a dua which would come out of heart and tears that naturally flow during -----for the sake of Allah ta'ala ---- those moments are just invaluable. When pray from deep within the heart ,in our own language,-- we then experience a sort of happiness, get light hearted, --- just we cannnot express it. Is n't it. And we experience it,if are alone , Is n't it?

And Fatima, i just experienced a feeling of being low, and this is out of experience apart from observing patience and prayers, {seeking help from Allah}, --- what i did is, i opened my old diary wherein all my school friends autographed {naturally, though i knew all there wordings are fakes but still i read out there compliments} contacted old friends and got refreshed. . So call your old friends too. We were back after so many years to our school . A good expierence

-------------

Date Posted: 18 December 2006 at 7:16am

I agree that sunnah duas are benefitting in two ways mashaAllah and maybe more, Allahualam. But some times when i am asking Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala something in my own language, the conection i feel is more stronger. Could be the fact that because i dont speak arabic so when i am in need, first thing that comes to me would be my thoughts getting the shape of words in my own language.

But I have memorised different dua from Holy Quran and Ahadith. What i do is whenever i am reading Holy Quran and read dua done by any Prophet alyhis salaam, i remember it, Same with ahadith and i do dhikr of those at end of salah. Most of these are found in ahadith as Sayydina Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassalam has told about their virtues. There are couple of them which i really like besides the one found in famous ahadith, could be personal but i think you brothers and sisters might like them too. One is Ayah 19 of Surah Naml which is Dua of Sayyidina Sulayman alayhim salaam, ' " "My Lord, direct me to be appreciative of the blessings You have bestowed upon me and my parents, and to do the righteous works that please You. Admit me by Your mercy into the company of Your righteous servants."  And second one is of Asia (ra) in Surah At-tahreem, part of Ayah 11, "O my Lord! Build for me, in nearness to Thee, a mansion in the Garden"

Another thing i remember from a hadith (sorry cant remember where i read the hadith) is that when you ask, say, Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala fullfil this if it is better for my deen and dunya, if not then make my heart satisfied with your decree and grant me something better than this.

And about conviction and sincerity i had a light experience myself, i sometimes get migraine and so many times i wish i had patience and imaan that i read Surah fatihah and be content with it. But i am bit of cry baby and take tablets and pray to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala to put cure in that for me. Now the other day i was fasting and i felt migraine coming (cos you can tell before it comes). It is really bad one for me, i cant even walk if i dont take tablets feels like elephants thumping in my brain. Now i knew i cant take tablets so i read Surah fatihah three times and asked Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala to cure me because He is the One who has cure. Alhamdulillah dint feel anything but if any other day, i have these whispers in my ears, you have not got strong enough imaan, take tablets, take em. So what i am trying to say is main thing is having Imaan of the fact that only thing Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has to do is will and it is. Everything and anything is in His grasp, it us who need to get the facts right.

Wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 18 December 2006 at 12:02pm

Alhamdulillah we can make Dua in any language, not only in Arabic that is a Mercy from Allah. No one knows your needs better than you and the best language is the one you can use to pour out your heart to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala is your own language.

Let me share some Ayah and Ahadith on Dua.

������� �������� �������� ������ �������� ������� ������� �������� �������� ����� ������� ������������������ ��� ��������������� ��� ����������� �����������

And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 186)

������������� ������������ ������������ ��� ����� �����������

Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying). I will remember you, and be grateful to Me and reject not faith (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 152)

��������� ��������� ���������� ���������� ������� ������� ��������

O you who believe! Remember Allah with much remembrance. (Surah Al-Ahzab 33: 41)

�������������� ������� �������� ������������ ������� ������� ����� ����������� ��������� ��������

��And for men and women who engage much in Allah�s remembrance, for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward (Surah Al-Ahzab 33:35 - the end of the Ayah)

Narrated by Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu): Allah�s Messenger (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said, "When it is the last third of the night, our Lord, the Blessed, the Superior, descends every night to the heaven of the world and says, 'Is there anyone who invokes Me (demand anything from Me), that I may respond to his invocation; Is there anyone who asks Me for something that I may give (it to) him; Is there anyone who asks My forgiveness that I may forgive him?'"(Al-Bukhari)

The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said: �The comparison of the one who remembers Allah and the one who does not remember Allah, is like that of the living and the dead. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

To invoke Allah with determination

Narrated by Anas (Radhi Allahu Anhu): Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, "When anyone of you appeal to Allah for something, he should ask with determination and should not say, 'O Allah, if You wish, give me.', for nobody can force Allah to do something against His Will. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Narrated by Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu): Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, "None of you should say: 'O Allah, forgive me if You wish; O Allah, be merciful to me if You wish,' but he should always appeal to Allah with determination, for nobody can force Allah to do something against His Will."  (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Narrated by Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu): Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, "The invocation of anyone of you is granted (by Allah) if he does not show impatience (by saying, "I invoked Allah but my request has not been granted.") (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala accept our Ibadah and Duas Ameen!

-------------

Posted By: Murabit
Date Posted: 24 December 2006 at 11:54pm

Regarding dua � when you make dua for those who have passed away � then Allah will raise up people who will also be making dua for you when you pass away. I know what I am and that I am a sinful twisted person and so I try to make dua as much as I can for those that I know and don�t know who have passed away � hoping that Allah will raise people up who will also make dua for me for my forgiveness � and hopefully one of them will be a righteous believer whose dua Allah will accept and forgive me of my sins.  

-------------
"I am a slave. I eat as a slave eats and I sit as a slave sits.", Beloved, sallallahu alyhi wa-sallam.

Date Posted: 25 December 2006 at 5:18am

Assalamu Alaikum,

As far as I remember, it is said that making dua can even change one's fate. I can't find hadith reference; once I have that I will post it here, insha Allah. Any input?

Peace

-------------

Date Posted: 25 December 2006 at 6:31am

JazakAllah khair brother murabit, inshaAllah will try to remember this. I have also read the hadith brother peacemaker is mentioning.

�Nothing increases one�s life-span except good deeds, and nothing repels Divine Decree except dua. And verily, a person may be deprived of sustenance due to a sin that he does!� Ibn Majah 90

At-tirmidhi and both sahihain have mentioned it but with out the part after, 'and verily'.

There is a another hadith, '�There is no Muslim on the face of the earth that asks Allah for anything except that Allah gives it to him, or averts from him a similar evil, as long as he does not ask for something evil or for breaking the ties of kinship�.

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala alone knows the relationship between the dua and its effect on qadr. I would not want to go into that due to lack of my knowledge and also a hadith in which Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alaihe wassalam has said that my ummah will be ok as long as they dont start talking about akhira of kids' who died young and qadr. InshaAllah i will try to find reference to this hadith.

But main thing is Dua has power, we should take example from our dear Prophet sallallahu alaihe wassalam, he used to pray two nawafil and asked Allah subhananhu wa ta'ala for every thing, be it help against an enemy or even the meal for the day. Dependance on Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala makes you independent of his creation.

wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 25 December 2006 at 9:59am

As Salamu Alaikum

Yes I agree "DUA is a VERY POWERFUL TOOL"

Salams

-------------

Date Posted: 26 December 2006 at 5:51am

JazakAllah khair brother murabit, inshaAllah will try to remember this. I have also read the hadith brother peacemaker is mentioning.

�Nothing increases one�s life-span except good deeds, and nothing repels Divine Decree except dua. And verily, a person may be deprived of sustenance due to a sin that he does!� Ibn Majah 90

At-tirmidhi and both sahihain have mentioned it but with out the part after, 'and verily'.

There is a another hadith, '�There is no Muslim on the face of the earth that asks Allah for anything except that Allah gives it to him, or averts from him a similar evil, as long as he does not ask for something evil or for breaking the ties of kinship�.

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala alone knows the relationship between the dua and its effect on qadr. I would not want to go into that due to lack of my knowledge and also a hadith in which Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alaihe wassalam has said that my ummah will be ok as long as they dont start talking about akhira of kids' who died young and qadr. InshaAllah i will try to find reference to this hadith.

But main thing is Dua has power, we should take example from our dear Prophet sallallahu alaihe wassalam, he used to pray two nawafil and asked Allah subhananhu wa ta'ala for every thing, be it help against an enemy or even the meal for the day. Dependance on Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala makes you independent of his creation.

wassalam

Assalamu Alaikum,

Jazak Allah Khair, Sister.

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

-------------

Date Posted: 08 January 2007 at 3:02am

Assalamu alaikum

Manners of Making Dua

1st Manner: Asking Allah alone

Allah (I) says:

�Do not make du�a to anyone alongside Allah.� (70:18)

Allah (I) says:

�Say (O� Muhammad): I make du�a unto Allah only, and I ascribe unto Him no partner.� (70:20)

The Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:

�Du�aa[1]  is worship�

Making du�a is an act of worship; directing, one�s worship to other than Allah alone is an act of major shirk.  

2nd Manner: Praising Allah at the beginning of the du�a and asking Allah to praise His Prophet at the end of it.

Fudalah b. 'Ubaid reported that the Prophet (may Allah praise him) heard a man supplicating during prayer: the man prayed �O Allah, forgive me and have mercy on me.� So the Prophet (may Allah praise him) told him,

�You were hasty. When you pray, praise Allah, ask Allah to exalt my mention, then ask Allah.�

Another man praised Allah and asked Allah to exalt the mention of His prophet (may Allah praise him) so he (may Allah praise him) said:

�O supplicant, ask Allah and your prayer will be answered.� [Narrated by at-Tirmidhi]

Buraidah reported that the Prophet (may Allah praise him) heard a man saying, "O Allah, I ask You, I bear witness that there is no god but You, the One, the As-Samadh (the One upon Whom all creatures depend). He begets not, nor was He begotten; and there is none like unto Him." The Prophet (may Allah praise him) said,

"You have asked Allah by His Greatest Name. When one asks Him by this name, He gives, what one desires, and when supplicated by this name He answers." (Reported by Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi, who regards it a sound hadith)

Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) said, "Allah does not accept du�a from the conceited, the one who flaunts and the one who is not serious, (He accepts only) from a person who praises and asks from his heart."

3rd Manner: Repenting to Allah

The person should repent for all of their sins and sincerely beg for Allah�s forgiveness.

4th Manner: Yaqeen (Certainty) and not being hasty

The person should be certain that their du�a will be answered. The Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:  

�Ask Allah with certainty that He will answer your prayers, and know that Allah will not accept the supplication from an absent heart.� (at-Tirmidhi)

�When you ask Allah, ask with confidence.�

Abu Hurairah also reported that the Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:

"None of you should say, 'O Allah, forgive me if You wish, (or) O Allah, have mercy on me if you wish.' Rather you should be firm in your request, for (Allah does whatever He wishes) and no one can force Him to do otherwise."

Some of the early Muslims used to say that the supplicant should be like a child when you ask Allah, crying until you are answered.

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:

�The person�s supplication will be answered unless he asks for sin or severing the ties of kinship, except if the person is hasty.�

Then the Prophet (may Allah praise him) was asked about hastiness. So the Prophet (may Allah praise him) described it as:

�The person says, �I asked, and I have not seen the answer.� Then he leaves dua.� [Muslim]

`Umar (May Allah be please with him) said: "I do not carry the worry of acceptance but the worry of du�a. If I am inspired on how du�a is made, acceptance will accompany it."

`Aisha (May Allah be pleased with her) said: "No believer makes du�a and it is wasted. Either it is granted here in this world or deposited for him in the Hereafter as long as he does not get frustrated."

5th Manner: Asking Allah three times

Abdullah ibn Mas'ud reported that the Prophet (may Allah praise him) loved to repeat his supplication three times, and pray for forgiveness three times. (Abu Dawud)

�If you ask Allah for the Jannah (The Heavenly Gardens) three times, the Jannah will say, �O Allah, make him enter Jannah.� And if you ask Allah to protect you from hellfire three times, hellfire will say, �O Allah, protect him from the hellfire.��

6th Manner: Asking in secret and supplicating in neither a loud nor low voice

Allah (I) says:

�A mention of the mercy of thy Lord unto His slave Zakariyyah when he cried to his Lord a cry in secret.� (19:2)

Allah (I) says:

�Neither say your prayer aloud, nor speak it in a low tone, but seek a middle course between.� (17:110)

Allah (I) says:

�Call on your Lord with humility and in private, for Allah does not love those who go beyond bounds.� (7:55)

Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari reported, "Once the people raised their voices in supplication. At this the Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:

'Be easy on yourselves. You are not calling upon someone deaf or absent. You are calling upon one who is All-seeing and All-hearing. He is nearer to you than the neck of your mount. O� Abdullah b. Qais, shall I tell you a word that is one of the treasures of Paradise? It is: "There is no power, nor any might except with the permission of Allah'' (Muslim & Bukhari)

Abdullah ibn 'Umar reported that the Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:

"Hearts are like vessels, some more attentive and capacious than others. When you supplicate Allah you should be certain of being answered, and know that Allah does not answer a supplication that comes from a careless and inattentive heart." (Ahmad)

7th Manner: Tahaarah

It is preferred to have wudhu when making du�a.

8th Manner: Facing the Qiblah

It is more honorable to face the Qiblah when making du�a if possible. The Prophet (may Allah praise him) went out and prayed for rain and faced the Qiblah.

9th Manner: To ask Allah by His names and attributes

Allah (I) says:

�And to Allah belongs the beautiful names, so invoke Him by them.� (7:180)

10th Manner: Raising the hands

Salman narrated from the Prophet (may Allah praise him):

�Surely Allah is Hayyee, and He loves to conceal the shortcomings of His slaves. If His slave raises his hands, He does not let him go empty handed.�

Malik b. Yassar reported that the Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:

"Supplicate Allah while your palms are open and do not supplicate Him with their backs upwards."

Ibn 'Abbas is reported as saying, "When asking for something from Allah, you should raise your hands opposite to your shoulders; when asking for forgiveness you should point with one finger; and when making an earnest supplication you should spread out both your hands." (Abu Dawud)

11th Manner: Not consuming the Haraam (unlawful)

On the authority of Abu Hurairah, The Messenger of Allah (may Allah praise him) said:

�Allah the Almighty is good and accepts only that which is good. Allah has commanded the faithful to do that which he commanded the messengers and the Almighty has said: �O Messengers! Eat of the good things and do right.� And Allah the Almighty has said, �O you who believe! Eat of the good things wherewith We have provided you.��

Then he (may Allah praise him) mentioned [the case of] a man who having journeyed far was disheveled and dusty and spreads out his hands to the sky [saying] "O Lord! O Lord!" His (the traveler�s) food is unlawful, his drink unlawful, his clothing unlawful, and he is nourished unlawfully; so how can he be answered?! [Muslim]

12th Manner: Doing good deeds and asking Allah by one�s good deeds

Qasim bin `Abd said: "I said to Anas bin Malik: 'O Abu Hamzah pray to Allah for us.' He said: 'Du�a is elevated by good deeds.'"

Bukhari and Muslim relate the had�th of the Prophet (may Allah praise him) of the story of three men, who each supplicated to Allah by (mentioning) a good deed they had done earlier in their lives.

�Three persons of a people before you were on a journey when they were overtaken by a storm; therefore, they took shelter in a cave. A rock slipped down from the mountain and blocked the exit of the cave. One of them said, �The only way for deliverance is to beseech Allah and (to mention) some virtuous deed (he did purely for His sake).��

One of the men mentioned a good deed which they had done for Allah, and supplicated, �O Lord, if I did this thing seeking only Thy pleasure, then do Thou relieve us of the distress wrought upon us by this rock.�

The rock moved, but not enough to free the men. So, the other two made similar supplications while mentioning their good deeds until the rock moved enough to free them.

13th Manner: Asking Allah in times of ease

�Whoever is pleased that Allah answers his prayers during hardships and difficulties let him make much supplication during times of ease.� (at-Tirmidhi)

14th Manner: Knowing the best times for du�a

Some of the best times to make du�a are:

1) Middle of the night

The Messenger (may Allah praise him) said:

"The Gates of Heaven are open at midnight, and a caller calls: 'Is there a supplicant that his supplication may be granted? Is there a petitioner that his petition may be granted? Is there a distressed person so that his distress may be removed?' At that time, no Muslim makes a du'a but that it is answered, except for an adulteress who trades with her body, or a person who gathers his money unlawfully."  [Sahih al-Jami' 2968]

2) At the time of athaan and between it and the iqamah

"A du'a between athaan and the iqamah is not refused, so supplicate during that time." [Ibn Khuzaymah, Ibn Hibban]

"Two kinds of du'a are not rejected - or rarely are they rejected - du'a at the time of the call for prayer, and du'a at the time of fighting when the warriors are on the battlefield." [Abu Dawud]

3) On Friday after 'Asr

"Friday has twelve periods. Among them is a period when no Muslim asks Allah for anything but He grants it to him. Search for that period late after 'Asr." [Sahih al-Jami' 8402]

4) When it is raining

"Two kinds of du'a are not rejected: du'a at the time of the call for prayer, and du'a during rain." [Abu Dawud]

5) A parents du'a for his child, while fasting and while traveling

"Three types of du'a are undoubtedly granted: a parent's du'a for his children, du'a of a fasting person, and du'a of the traveler." [Abu Dawud]

6) While Making Sujood

�The slave is closest to his Lord while in sujood, so ask Allah in that time.�

7) Laylat�ul-Qadr

Aisha asked the Prophet (may Allah praise him) �What should I say on Laylat�il-Qadr?� And he replied,

�O Allah, indeed you are oft-forgiving, and love to forgive � so forgive me.�

15th Manner: Making du�a for others

The Prophet, (may Allah praise him) said:

�Whenever you make a supplication for another believer and he is not present, an angel will say �and same to you.��

Abdallah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'As reported that the Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:

"The supplication that gets the quickest answer is the one made by one Muslim for another in his absence.'' (Abu Daw'ud and Tirmidhi)

16th Manner: Not making du�a against oneself or one�s children

�Don�t make du�a against yourselves. Don�t make du�a against your children. Don�t make du�a against your maids. And don�t make du�a against your wealth. You might supplicate Allah during a time in which He answers the prayers.� (Abu Dawud)

17th Manner: Different types of people whose du�a is accepted

"The supplications of three persons are accepted, and there is no doubt concerning their acceptance: the supplication of a father, of a traveler, and of one who is wronged.' (Ahmad, Abu Dawud, and Tirmidhi)

The Prophet (may Allah praise him) also said:

"The supplications of three persons are not rejected: the supplication of a fasting person at the time of breaking fast, of a just ruler, and of a person who is wronged. Allah causes their supplications to rise above the clouds, and gates of heaven are opened for them, and Allah says, 'By My Majesty, I will help you, even it be after a while'."

(Reported by Tirmidhi)

18th Manner: Memorizing the Authentic Supplications and du�as of the Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him)

We should all do our best to memorize the different du�as made by the Prophet (may Allah praise him) in the different situations throughout our day, to keep ours tongues wet with the remembrance of Allah, and by extension purify our hearts.

Wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 08 January 2007 at 10:34pm

As'salamualaikum,

4) When it is raining

"Two kinds of du'a are not rejected: du'a at the time of the call for prayer, and du'a during rain." [Abu Dawud]

I did n't knew this? Jazakallah. This times am not going to leave rain as just water . Seriouslly speaking  Thanks again for sharing it with us. Jazakallah

-------------

Posted By: Murabit
Date Posted: 12 January 2007 at 3:00am

Salam,

Just wanted to quote a Hadith from the Bukhari:

(I guess we can learn from the Hadith and go onto say that - in certain situations of Fitnah - a silent person is better than the ranting one and a ranting one is better than the shouting one and so forth....)

Volume 9, Book 88, Number 202:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "There will be afflictions (in the near future) during which a sitting person will be better than a standing one, and the standing one will be better than the walking one, and the walking one will be better than the running one, and whoever will expose himself to these afflictions, they will destroy him. So whoever can find a place of protection or refuge from them, should take shelter in it."

-------------
"I am a slave. I eat as a slave eats and I sit as a slave sits.", Beloved, sallallahu alyhi wa-sallam.

Date Posted: 14 January 2007 at 7:45am

As'salamualaikum ,

Here's a verse that will insha-allah help us a lot in our daily lives.

Allah the Exalted forbids scoffing at people, which implies humiliating and belittling them. In the Sahih, it is recorded that the Messenger of Allah said,

���������� ������ �������� �������� ������ӻ

(Arrogance is refusing the truth and belittling people.) And in another Version

������� ������ӻ

(And despising people) It is forbidden to scoff at and belittle people, for the injured party could be more honored and dearer to Allah the Exalted than those who ridicule and belittle them. This is why Allah the Exalted said,

﴿��������� ��������� ���������� ��� �������� ������ ���� ������ ����� ��� ���������� ������� ��������� ����� ������� ���� �������� ����� ��� ������� ������� ����������﴾

(O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former. Nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former.) thus, stating this prohibition for men and then women. The statement of Allah the Exalted,

﴿����� ����������� �����������﴾

(Nor defame yourselves,) forbids defaming each other. He among men who is a slanderer, and a backbiter, is cursed and condemned as Allah states

﴿������ �������� �������� ��������� ﴾

(Woe to every Humazah, Lumazah)(104:1) Hamz is defamation by action, while Lamz is by words. Allah the Exalted and Most Honored said,

﴿�������� ��������� ��������� ﴾

(Hammaz (defaming), going about with slander.) (68:11) meaning, he belittles and defames people, transgressing and spreading slander among them, which is the Lamz that uses words as its tool. Allah's statement here,

(Nor defame yourselves,) just as He said in another Ayah,

(Nor kill yourselves) (4:29), meaning, nor kill one another. `Abdullah bin `Abbas, Mujahid, Sa`id bin Jubayr, Qatadah and Muqatil bin Hayyan said that the Ayah,

(Nor defame yourselves,) means, none of you should defame each other,' while,

﴿����� ������������ ��������������﴾

(nor insult one another by nicknames.) means, `you should not address people by nick names that people dislike.' Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Jabirah bin Ad-Dahhak said, "This Ayah was revealed about us, Banu Salamah;

(nor insult one another by nicknames.) When the Messenger of Allah migrated to Al-Madinah, every man among us had two or three nicknames. When the Prophet called a man by one of these nicknames, people would say, `O Allah's Messenger! He hates that nickname.' Then this Ayah,

(nor insult one another by nicknames.) was revealed.'' Abu Dawud also collected this Hadith. The statement of Allah the Exalted and Most Honored,

﴿������ ������� ���������� ������ ���������﴾

(Evil is the name of wickedness after faith), means, the names and descriptions of wickedness are evil; meaning, `to use the nicknames that were used by the people of Jahiliyyah, after you embraced Islam and understood it,'

﴿����� ����� ������﴾

(And whosoever does not repent,) means, from this sin,

﴿������������� ���� �������������﴾

(then such are indeed wrongdoers.)

﴿��������� ��������� ���������� ������������ �������� ����� �������� ����� ������ �������� ������ ����� ������������ ����� ������� ���������� ������� ��������� ���������� ��� �������� ������ ������� ������� ��������������� ����������� ������� ����� ������� �������� �������� ﴾

(12. O you who believe! Avoid much suspicion; indeed some suspicion is sin. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother You would hate it. And have Taqwa of Allah. Verily, Allah is the One Who forgives and accepts repentance, Most Merciful.)

Its the Tafseeer Ibn Kathir.

Generally, we tend to make a mistake by spying because of misconception.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 January 2007 at 9:51pm

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahkhair all of you for your contributions, very useful posts.

WAssalaam.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 January 2007 at 9:30am

Jazakallahu Khairan for all the beneficial post.

Some Fatawa I wish to share relating to supplications.

Question: What is the ruling concerning the saying, �We will meet in Paradise �if Allah wills�?

Answer: This is a good saying and there is nothing wrong with it, and we ask Allah to gather us with our brothers in Paradise and that we meet in Paradise. But one shouldn�t say with it  �if Allah wills.� Instead, one should say, �We ask Allah, by His Generosity, to allow us to meet in Paradise.� Or, �May Allah reunite us in Paradise.�

Ibn Baz.

Question: Sometimes when I wake up at two o�clock at night, I supplicate of Allah Almighty silently, but I do so without making ablution, neither do I pray voluntary prayers at that time. Is this permissible, or is it compulsory for me to perform ablution and prayer as well?

Answer: There is no harm in supplicating without having ablution, as well as when one is in a sate of sexual impurity. Purity is not a condition for invoking Allah Almighty. This is from Allah�s mercy because every person is in need of making supplication at all times.

Nevertheless, you are more likely to have your supplications answered if you are in a state of purity and if you pray especially when you are prostrating.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

�The servant is closest to his Lord when he is prostrating, so supplicate more frequently therein.� (Muslim 482)

Ibn Baz

Question: Is this form of supplication correct: �O Allah, I ask you by your Beautiful Names and Attributes to���?�

Answer: It is from the Sunnah to petition Allah by His Beautiful Names and His Exalted Attributes, by one�s good deeds or by one�s love for the righteous. This is a means of having one�s prayers answered, regardless whether one does this before of after his supplication. But it is not permitted to petition Allah Almighty by mentioning people, like saying, �I ask you by so and so,� because this leads to associating partners with Allah Almighty.

Ibn Jibreen

Question: For one�s prayer to be answered, are raising the hands and facing the Qiblah requisite elements of the supplication?

Answer: Raising the hands during supplication as well as facing the Qiblah � the noblest direction to face- is a stressed Sunnah. However, the acceptance of our prayers is not condition on doing so. For indeed Allah accepts the supplication of the sincere Muslim when he supplicates even if he does not raise his hands or face the Qiblah.  It is not necessary for the person supplicating to raise his hands in order for Allah to accept his supplication. Here there could be other factors that prevent its acceptance even though the hands were raised.

Ibn Jibreen.

All these Fatawas are taken from Fatawa Islamiyah Volume 7

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala accept our Duas and Ibadah Ameen!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2007 at 4:15am

Wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barkatuhu

I was wondering if some1 else wants to start a topic that you think will be good to discuss.

wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 06 February 2007 at 8:52am

Sister Fatima you are looking for a new topic to discuss here. I just got the idea while responding to another thread.

Concentration in Salah

This is something we all experience from time to time. We all know that Salah is our direct link to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala five times a day.

And we also know that Shaitan works overtime to take our minds off our Ibadah.

I do get whisperings from the Shaitan and this is how I try to overcome it. Sometimes I succeed but other times the Shaitan is stronger.

Uthman ibn Abi al-A's (Radhi Allahu Anhu) came to Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) and said: "Allah's Messenger, Shaitan intervenes between me and my prayer and my reciting of the Qur'an, confounding me."

Thereupon Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said: "That is (the doing of the Shaitan) who is known as Khinzab, so when you perceive this effect, seek refuge with Allah from it and spit three times to your left." "I did that and Allah dispelled that from me." (Sahih Muslim #2203) 

I learn the translations of the verses I recite often and try to remember the meaning while I am reciting to prevent other thoughts creeping in like what I�m going to prepare for lunch etc.

One sister advised me to think of death.

Another said, I should decide before I start what Surah I am going to recite.

And yet another said � she gets herself mentally ready to converse with Allah. Subhanallah, this is so true, we are presenting our selves to the Our Creator so we should stand in attention.

What works for you? Share your thoughts with us.

Wa Alaikum Salam 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2007 at 1:37am

As'salamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

This is a copy paste work  but am sure will be of little help insha-allah.

Salah:The Sate of Mind

"Why must I pray when I don't get much out of it?"

�Is there anything I could do to make me love the Prayers and stay attentive?"

"Why does Salah feel like such a chore?"

These are a few of the questions that often trouble our thoughts and minds. What follows are 30 practical ways we can improve and enjoy our Prayers as they are meant to be!

Today we have indeed come to treat the Prayer (Salah) as something insignificant in our lives. Very often we hear our elders say, "I will start praying when the time comes." Others, specially the younger Muslims, do not find much comfort, and joy in their Prayers. Due to our treatment of Prayer as a burden, our love and passion for the Prayer has vanished. Our hearts have become hardened, and we have become a depressed and defeated people. As a result, many are searching for 'cures and remedies' to the distress in our lives, through any means available, but are unable to find any because they have ignored the greatest medicine - Salah!..M.Ovais

30 Tips on Improving your Prayer!

If we look deep into our daily lives and diagnose the causes of our spiritual, social and psychological illnesses, we will realize that probably something as uplifting, revolutionary, and empowering as Salah is missing.

If we, the youth, realize the potential role of Prayer in changing our lives and as a

constant source of hope, we would regret missing even a single Salah.

The Role of Salah in Changing our Lives

The whole purpose of Salah is to be ever conscious of Allah, the Creator and Sustainer of all things. Salah is indeed, one of the most comprehensive forms of Dhikr (Remembrance). No wonder, Allah states in a hadith qudsi: "

Out of all the ways through which My servant gets closer to Me, Salah is the dearest to Me." (Bukhari) It is unfortunate, therefore, that we do not always take full advantage of this gift.

We may compare the obligatory Salah to bathing five times a day. If after such frequent bathing, your body still remains dirty, then we may question the usefulness and efficacy of such bathing. Similarly, if after regular observance of Prayer your heart remains unmoved and your morals remain corrupt, we may question the usefulness of your Prayer. If you

enter into Salah and come out of it the same person, then you have missed something great.

How can you improve the quality of your Salah? Remember, first and foremost, that as soon as you commence your Salah, Shaytan makes it his duty to fill your mind with anything and everything but thoughts of Allah. He tries ceaselessly to disengage your mind and heart from such remembrance. It is this state of absentmindedness that destroys the quality of your Prayer. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) once said: "God does not accept the Prayers of an individual until his heart achieves in it what his body has achieved." [Al-Ghazali in Ihya-Uloom ad-Deen]

The ability to concentrate in Prayer may be improved by undertaking adequate psychological, mental and physical preparation before the Prayer and by utilising certain techniques during the Prayer.

i. Psychological and Mental Preparation before the Prayer

�The planning of your daily activities should revolve around the five daily Salah. Do not plan everything else and then try to fit Prayer into your busy schedule. Allah deserves a greater place in our lives than that!

�Ensure that you are conversant with all the rules and regulations governing your Prayer. Research in depth the Quranic verses and ahadith relating to the virtues of Salah. Uncertainty in how to perform one's prayer perfectly is a major cause of distraction.

�Be punctual with your Prayer. Get into the habit of praying at the earliest hour. Do not procrastinate. The Prophet said, "The deed most loved by Allah is Prayer performed on time." (Muslim) and "only the hypocrites intentionally delay their prayers"!

�Pray as much of your obligatory Salah in congregation as is possible.

This is not 'just a good thing' but an obligation on every Muslim male. According to the Prophet, if we knew the good in praying in jama'ah we would not miss it even if we had to crawl to the masjid!

�Avoid praying in a state in which you are mentally and physically fatigued.

�Keep your mind free of worldly worries, evil thoughts, and ideas.

�Plan what verses/duas you are going to recite.

�If you do not understand Arabic learn the meaning of what you recite in your Prayer.

�Remind yourself that engaging in Prayer offers you an opportunity to release yourself from the tensions of this world. The Prophet has said that in Prayer was placed the comfort of his eyes. Therefore cherish the opportunity to remove the burdens of this world from your shoulders.

�Use your Prayer to remain focused on your mission in life, which is to bring your entire being to serve only Allah.

�Use your Prayer as a source of strength, inspiration and enthusiasm for your life and activities.

ii. Physical Preparation

�Fulfill all your personal needs before you commence your Prayer, for e.g., thirst, hunger and calls of nature.

� Pray in a pure physical state. Perform your wudu with care and perfection.

�Although the whole earth is a masjid or a place of worship, choose a place that is clean.

�Pray in an environment free of noise and one where there is no distraction.

�Adorn yourself with clean and respectable clothes.

iii. Performing Your Prayer

�Assess your mental readiness for Prayer before its commencement, during the various postures, after each raka and ultimately at the end.

�Pray with humility both in your mental state and in your physical manner. Pray with hope and awe.

�Remind yourself continually that you are talking to the most important 'One' in your life - your Creator and Sustainer. He is in front of you.You are facing Him and you are involved in a dialogue with Him.

�Commence your Prayer by seeking Allah's help and protection from the influences of Shaytan.

�Lower your gaze while praying and do not allow the physical environment to distract you. Anas related that the Prophet said: "My dear son, be sure to avoid being distracted during Prayer, for, to become distracted while praying is a disaster." (Tabarani) Remember that Allah will look at you as long as you keep your eyes on the ground.

�Use a variety of Quranic verses and duas in your Prayer to achieve greater concentration and awareness.

�Adopt a whispering technique in your recitation in order to remain focused on what you are saying, and not distract others.

�As you recite the Quran, translate it into your own language so that your attention is held. As you ponder upon the meaning and implications of the words, insha-Allah, all worldly thoughts will disappear.

�On each occasion that you recite the Sifat or attributes of Allah in ruku and sajda, consider how indebted you are and how grateful you should be to Allah and express your true emotions.

�Utilize the occasion of sajda to make additional dua to Allah. The Prophet said: "A servant is nearest to his Lord when he is in sajda, so increase your supplication when in sajda." (Muslim.)

�Make your Prayer of moderate duration so that you do not become physically and mentally tired but be aware that while in Prayer you must take your time praying.

�Give due regard to the proper performance of all the physical postures.Do not 'peck like acrow' when doing rukus and sajdas as every posture in Salah, even the rests, are important.

�Pray as if it is your last Prayer. The Messenger of God said: `When you stand up to pray, perform your prayer as if it were your last...'(Ahmad)

Performing your prayer in a satisfactory manner should lead to a radical change in the way you lead your daily life. Salah must be as the Quran states: Surely, Salah prevents indecency and evil [al-Ankabut 29:45.] Your improved and more disciplined life will in turn help the quality of your Prayer to increase even more. The two should continuously reinforce each other.

Remember, Salah is an obligation. Whether your heart is attentive or not, it must be performed. You cannot give up Prayer because to you it appears useless. There is punishment for a Prayer not performed satisfactorily. It will be a witness against you rather than a witness for you on the Day of Judgment. Don't give up the obligation but try to infuse it with the purpose it seeks to serve - remembrance of Allah. It is important to remember the saying of the Prophet (pbuh): "

If a man performs two rakas of Salah without the distraction of any worldly thought, all his previous sins will be forgiven." (Bukhari.)

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2007 at 4:46am

Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassalam said in a hadith, '....and prayer is coolness of my eyes.'

I too have experienced this whispering quite alot and in my qiyyam i try to take Surah Fatihah as a conversation just as Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassalam has said. I have noticed that if you think of worldly matters during your Wudu then its more likely that you are going to get worldly thoughts in your prayers too.

Some times when i get whispers and a thought just crosses my mind that Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has blessed us with everything and i cant even concentrate in my prayer and that helps me. Humility and humble thoughts just before prayer, any ayah which makes you think, which makes you have longing for Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. Just the thought that you are standing right infront of your beloved, your Lord, your creator, your master and if we try we can have a direct conversation with him. Just remembering that Holy Quran is His word and try to be careful of recitation and know He is listening to us.

wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2007 at 5:06am

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahkhair all of you for your posts.

Distraction in salah is a real hindrance. Reciting with tajweed and knowing what Iam reciting (ie. translation) helps me the most. But on and off shaitan still distracts me.

A scholar (cant remember who) apparently said that if you have lost something and cannot remember at all, stand up for salah. Shaitan will surely come and remind you there. All the stuff in the world will run through your head during salah. I think when we pray, shaitan is doing overtime.

I pray we all reach that level of khushu and pray as though we are seeing Allah.

seekshidayat: Surely, Salah prevents indecency and evil [al-Ankabut 29:45.]

jazakallahkhair for that.

wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2007 at 9:05pm

As'salamu alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

Fatima and Amah i got to learn two things from your observations and experience and i realised that it happened to me too. Like as Amah said  "if you have lost something and cannot remember at all, stand up for salah. Shaitan will surely come and remind you there". Yes it happened to me. I  thought may be Allah ta'ala reminded me of that lost thing. But certainly its a whispering from Satan.
As Fatima says  "  if you think of worldly matters during your Wudu then its more likely that you are going to get worldly thoughts in your prayers too" Hmm may be yes. And the very first step onwards we need to be attentive.

The very easy thing which i experience to offer my prayers with concentration is reciting variety of Quranic verses inorder to avoid mechanism. And naturally when we recite them we recall its translation too. This makes us feel as if we are offering our prayers  before Allah and are in conversation with.

This thought to pray as if its our last salah helps us to improve.

If we try to finish our household works setting our plans perfectly before or after salah timings, help us to stop worrying during namaaz. If at all if we happen to still worry abt  then lets remember that We are standing before Almighty who has control and commands over all things. If something goes wrong Allah ta'ala would insha-allah do it straight.

I just remembered a story of one of the sahabas and am sure even all must have heard it too. But just pardon me since i don't remember that sahabas name. It says that when he was once offering his salah ,. Soon after the salah, he left and every one present there wondered as why? but later when he returned , when asked the reason as why he left, he answered that while offering the salah, he remembered  his Garden. This he thought was a hindrance between him and Allah ta'ala. So he left immediately and gave that garden in charity so that now there will be no such disturbance. This was the khushu and khuzuh of those followers.
And the other instance is of Ab'bad ibn Bashr. He was once so much absorbed in salah that he did not even know that an arrow had hit him. He preferred  death rather than not  to stop his salah. Such was there concentration and  love for salah.

I feel  the intensity of faith does affect the concentration. Strong faith does help us not to deviate from.

I would like to share an other story which happened to hear recently. That during one of the taraweeh , imam sahab had forgotten the rakahs offered in total. When he asked the people there, few said some number and others said no it. There was like confusion amongst all of them, But suddenly  a man stood up and was very sure of that number. He was very confident. So he was asked as how was he that sure and confident. He said, actually i am a businessman and i was doing my calculations of my different branches in different rakahs. I completed my calculations and so am sure that we offered 20 rakats. This is the position of  a namazi.
May Allah ta'ala grant us love and concentration for salah and bestow us with strong faith. Pls do remember me especially in your dua's for granting me concentration in salah.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 February 2007 at 3:19am

The businessman story was good, cudn't stop laughing, SubhanAllah

Salah is just amazing, gives you peace of heart and mind, this deep sense of happiness. Like the brother i cant remember who the sahabi radhiAllah Anh was but in one of the battles he got hit by an arrow and it penetrated his skin. The muslims waited for him to start his prayer so take the arrow out because they knew when he starts his prayer, he totally gets cut off from this world.

There is another story, i think of Imam Hasan Basri rahimullah alyh, once he was praying and his house caught fire. His wife took the kids and members of family out and try to take whatever she could. When later he finished his prayer, he saw the fire and rushed outside. His wife was quite angry with him and said to him that when our house was on fire and i needed help and i called for you, why did you not respond? He said, if i knew that our house is on fire and you needed help, i surely would have helped you. SubhanAllah.

Just recently some1 said to me that why muslims humiliate themselves by putting their forehead on ground. And i remembered this line of poetry 'milta hai kia namaz mein sajde mein ja kar dekh' basically it means that if you want to see what you get out of salah then go in sajood and you will find out. I also remember another piece of poetry from Iqbal which i cant remember word to word so give the translation of it. It goes something like this one sajdah which seem burden to you helps you raise up so that you dont have to bow infront of people of world.

And if we see the state muslim ummah is in, we clearly have to ask others for every thing even though Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has blessed us with so many things. But thing that is missing is that sajdah, that islam and that spirit.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala bless us with the ability to do deeds which are accepted by Him.

wassalam

-------------

Posted By: hat2010
Date Posted: 09 February 2007 at 5:27am
peace...

Bismillah -

During the course of the day, if there is a particular problem I want to
resolve or understand fully, I prepare to leave it's resolution for the time
after my prayer. And almost everytime (as a result of the prayer) I become
so overwhelmed with how grateful, how blessed I am just to have prayed, to
be deeper in a conscious living presence of the Divine....so overwhelmed,
that I return to those same problems with a sort of giddiness and fullness
that gives me a power to overcome anything...

T'barak Allah alikoom

Date Posted: 17 February 2007 at 10:12pm

While here's a discussion of salah going on, how will it be if we discuss the importance of nawaafil salah . I mean Ishrak, Chast, Awabeen and Tahajjud as well. It may be a reminder as well ----

-------------

Date Posted: 04 March 2007 at 4:23am
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

While here's a discussion of salah going on, how will it be if we discuss the importance of nawaafil salah . I mean Ishrak, Chast, Awabeen and Tahajjud as well. It may be a reminder as well ----

As Salamu Alaikum

Masha Allah you had a good idea here, why don't you post some articles on the topics mentioned.

Salams

-------------

Date Posted: 04 March 2007 at 5:53am

As'salamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

Glad to see u back .Both u and fatima are following the footsteps of amah . This section was dull. Well, insha-allah will post them very soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 March 2007 at 9:30pm

Lets start up with Tahajjud

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Salaam [radhiyallahu anhu relates, "When Nabie [salallahu alaihi wasallam] entered Madinah [during the Hijrah], people flocked to him, I also went to scrutinise him. When I saw his face, I observed that it was not the face of an imposter. The very first words I heard him say was, "O Mankind, disseminate Salaam,
 feed others, strengthen kinship, and establish Salaah while the rest of mankind is asleep." [Mishkaat]

The fourth deed which is mentioned in this Hadith is �Performing Salaat while the rest of mankind is asleep."
In the Quraan, Allah Ta'ala said, "And the servants of The Most Gracious [Allah] are those ... who spend the night in
adoration of their Lord, prostrating and standing [in Qiyaam]." [25:64]

In another Hadith, Nabie [salallahu alaihi wasallam] said, "Be vigilant in standing up [in prayer] at night for it was the practise of the pious before you. It is a means of gaining proximity to Allah Ta'ala, an expiation for transgressions and a barrier from sins. [Tirmidhi]

Note: In this Hadith, Nabie [salallahu alaihi wasallam] emphasized the importance of Tahajjud, its virtues and spiritual benefits. "The pious before you " refer to the Ambiyaa [alaihimus salaam] and their faithful followers.

"Gaining proximity to Allah Ta'ala" is the objective of man's existence. This is only possible by total servitude to Allah Ta'ala. Allah Ta'ala, addressing Nabie [salallahu alaihi wasallam] says, "Prostrate and gain closeness to Allah Ta'ala. [105:19]

In a Hadith-e-Qudsi, Allah Ta'ala says, "If my servant comes closer to me by one span, I go towards him a cubit�s length, if he comes to me a cubit�s length, I go towards him an arm�s length, and if he walks towards me I run unto him." [Bukharie; Muslim]

This Hadith implies that if man increases his devotion to Allah Ta'ala, Allah Ta'ala increases His Mercy and Kindness proportionately far greater.  "Getting closer" and "running" signify immediate increase in Allah's Blessings and Mercy.

The subject of this Hadith has also been narrated in other Ahadith with slight variations. In one Hadith together with the above three virtues mention is made of Tahajjud being a cure for jealousy, while another mentions it to be a cure for physical ailments. Another Hadith states, "Salaah at night guards one from sin, cools the wrath of
 Allah and it is a protection from the heat of the Day of Judgement." [Fadhail-e-Tahajjud

Rasulullah [salallahu alaihi wasallam] said, "At night there is such a moment in which a Muslim supplicates Allah Ta'ala for the good of this world or the Hereafter, Allah Ta'ala will grant him his request, and this moment appears every night." [Muslim]

In another Hadith, Rasulullah [salallahu alaihi wasallam] said, "The closest Allah Ta'ala gets to his servant is in the last portion of the night. If you possess the ability to be from among those who remember Allah, then become one of them." [Tirmidhi]

Rasulullah [salallahu alaihi wasallam] said, "When one third of the night remains our Rabb [Lord], Most High, Most Exalted, descends to the first sky and announces, "Who is there to beseech Me that I may answer his prayer and who is there to seek forgiveness that I may forgive him.' Then He spreads out His hands [of kindness
and mercy] and proclaims, "Who will grant a loan to the One who is neither a destitute or an oppressor.� [Muslim]

The time of Tahajjud extends from the time of Isha until SUBHE SADIQ [true dawn]. Ahadith related from Hadhrat Aa'isha [radhiyallahu anha] state that Nabie [salallahu alaihi wasallam] sometimes performed Tahajjud in the early portion of the night and on occasions when half the night had passed. However, towards the latter part of his
 life he frequently performed it in the last portion of the night. As the night progresses, Allah Ta'ala's Mercy and Blessings increase. Hence, the last sixth of the night is most preferred.
[Maktoobat Shaikh ul Islaam 77 p 202 - Fatawa Rahimiya vol 2 p 376]

All other practices {Ibadah and zikr} of ours even if may not be intended to show others but are still either known or seen by others. But this salah is only between a believer and his Rabb. When the whole world is in sleep and there's peace and tranqulity all around, at these moments when a believer whispers his prayers ------what a beautiful moment will it be. ------

-------------

Date Posted: 05 March 2007 at 4:06am

Masha Allah Jazakallahu Khairan for the Ahadith.

I feel Salatul-Tahajjud is the most important of the Nawafil Salah. Like the Ahadith mention, it is the Salah of the pious, the best time to pray as Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala I so near us. Subhanallah. Alhamdulillah! Allahu Akbar.

This is one of my favourite Salah: Duha I try my best to perform them everyday.

Narrated by Ibn Abu Laila (Radhi Allahu Anhu): Only Um Hani (Radhi Allahu Anha) told us that she had seen the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) offering the Duha (forenoon prayer). She said, "On the day of the conquest of Mecca, the Prophet took a bath in my house and offered eight Rakat. I never saw him praying such a light prayer but he performed perfect prostration and bowing. Narrated 'Abdullah bin Amir that his father had told him that he had seen the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) praying Nawafil at night on the back of his Mount on a journey, facing whatever direction it took.  (Al-Bukhari vol 2 #207)

Volumn 003, Book 031, Hadith Number 202.

-----------------------------------------

Narrated by Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu): My friend (the Prophet) (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) advised me to observe three things:

1. To fast three days a month.

2. To pray two Rakat of Duha prayer. (fore-noon prayer)

3. To pray Witr before sleeping.

Wa Alaikum Salam

-------------

Date Posted: 07 March 2007 at 9:15am

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahkhair for your continuous contributions. I have been unwell, will post later Insha Allah.

Wassalaam

-------------

Date Posted: 07 March 2007 at 10:18am
Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahkhair for your continuous contributions. I have been unwell, will post later Insha Allah.

Wassalaam

As Salamu Alaikum

May Allah bless you with His Shifa Ameen

Salams

-------------

Date Posted: 25 March 2007 at 6:04am

Assalamu alaykum

I think its been quiet on this thread so what about a new topic, I was thinking about 'Riya', it is a very complicated matter which creeps into our lives without realising so what is riya and how can one get rid of it?

wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 25 March 2007 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Assalaamualaikum

Wassalaam

As Salamu Alaikum

May Allah bless you with His Shifa Ameen

Salams

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahkhair for your duas ukhti and thousand apologies for late reply.

wassalaam

-------------

Date Posted: 26 March 2007 at 12:53am

Assalamu alaykum

I think its been quiet on this thread so what about a new topic, I was thinking about 'Riya', it is a very complicated matter which creeps into our lives without realising so what is riya and how can one get rid of it?

wassalam

Assalamu alaykum

Yes, thats a good topic. Jazakallahkhair

Riya comes from the word ruyah (to be seen).  It is considered a minor shirk.

The Prophet, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, said:

"Shall I not inform you of what I fear for you more than the maseeh ud-dajjaal? It is the hidden shirk. It is when a man stands up for prayer, then beautifies his prayer for another to look at." [Related by Ibn Maajah (2604) from the hadeeth of Aboo Sa`eed al-Khudree, radiyallaahu `anhu. The hadeeth is hasan.]

wassalaam

-------------

Date Posted: 26 March 2007 at 6:06am

Wa'alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

I heard a speaker once describing 'riya', he said its seeing the creation as appose to the Creator. He said that if some1 who was about to perform an act of nafl or something similar and sees some people. Then changes his mind because people might think that he is showing off is also committing a riya. This is quite scary but at the same time a very good advice too.

wassalam

-------------

Date Posted: 01 April 2007 at 11:22am

http://www.islamicfinder.org/articles/article.php?id=46&lang - http://www.islamicfinder.org/articles/article.php?id=46& lang =

Linguistically Riyaa comes from the root "ra`aa" which means to see, to behold, to view. The derived word 'Riyaa' means "eye service, hypocrisy, dissimulation, and dissemblance."

From the Sharee`ah point of view, "to perform acts which are pleasing to Allah, with the intention of pleasing other than Allah". Thus Riyaa originates in the heart.

Mahmood ibn Labeed reported that the Allah's Messenger said, "The thing that I fear most for you is the minor Shirk; Riyaa" (Ahmad in his Musnad)

Aboo Sa`eed reported that the Messenger of Allah (saaw) came to us while we were talking about Dajjaal and said, "Should I not inform you of that which I fear for you even more than the dangers of Dajjaal? It is the hidden Shirk; A person stands to pray, and he beautifies his prayer because he seas the people looking at him." (Sunan Ibn Majah vol. 2, #3389)

Aboo Moosaa al-Ash`aree reported that Allah's Messenger delivered a sermon to them one day and said, "O People! Fear this Shirk (meaning Riyaa), for it is more inconspicuous than the crawling of an ant." (Authenticated in Sahih al Targheeb wat-Tarheeb, no. 33)

The primary cause of Riyaa is a weakness in Eemaan. When a person does not have strong faith in Allah, he will prefer the admiration of people over the pleasure of Allah.

There are three symptoms that are indicative of Riyaa, and it is essential that a believer avoid all of them.

(1) The love of Praise---as mentioned in a Hadeeth of the first three people being thrown into the hellfire; the scholar (who taught for fame), the martyr (who fought for fame), and the person who gave his money in charity (so people would say he is generous). All three of these people desired the pleasure of people over the pleasure of Allah. The person who desires the praise of people must feel some pride in him, for he feels himself worthy of being praised. There is a danger, therefore, of him becoming arrogant and boastful.

Aboo Hurayrah quoted Allah's Messenger (saaw) as saying: "Allah, Most Great and Glorious said: Pride is My cloak, and greatness is My robe, so whoever competes with Me, with respect to either of them, I shall cast him into Hell" (Sahih Muslim, vol. 4 #6349, Sunan Aboo Dawood, vol. 3 #4079)

Aboo Hurayrah quoted Allah's Messenger (saaw) warning about a person's adoration of himself: "There are three distrustful things: desires that are followed, greediness that is obeyed, and a person's self-admiration and conceit; and this is the worst of the three."

Allah also warned against falling into the category of those Christians and Jews whom the Quran mentions:

"Do not assume that those who rejoice in what they have done, and love to be praised for what they have not done, think not that they are absolved from punishment, (but rather) for them is a painful torment." (Al-Imran: 188)

(2) Fear of Criticism

No one likes to be criticized. The dislike of criticism regarding religious practices may be divided into two categories:

a] The first category is that of a person who neglects a commandment of Allah in order to avoid the criticism of his peers. However, the true believers are described in the Quran as follows: "...They do not fear the criticism of those who criticize. And this is the blessing of Allah; He gives it to whomsoever He wishes. Verily, Allah is Self-Sufficient, all Knowing. "(Al-Maa`idah: 54)

b] The second category is that of a person who obeys certain commandments of Islam, not for the sake of Allah, but because he fears people will look down on him and criticize him if he does not do it. For example, a man may make his formal prayers in the mosque because he does not want people to criticize him for praying at home, or to think that he is not praying at all.

(3) Greed for people's possessions

If a person covets what other people possess, whether it is rank, money or power, then he will wish them to envy him similarly. For example, if he is jealous of a position of a certain person in society, he will try by every possible means to attain the same position. Such desires lead people to spend their lives putting on a show for other people so that they will admire their rank, money, or power.

These three categories are implied in the following statement of the Prophet Muhammad (saaw). Aboo Moosaa related that a person came to the Prophet (saaw) and asked: "A person fights to defend his honor (i.e. to avoid criticism), another to prove his bravery (i.e. to be praised for it), and a third to show off (i.e. so that his position can be seen); of these three, which one fights in the way of Allah?� He (saaw) answered:

"Whoever fights to make the word of Allah prevalent [i.e. to bring honor to Islam, and to establish it in the land], he is the one who fights in the way of Allah" (Sahih al-Bukhari vol. 4 #65)

Some scholars advised:

"Remove the causes of Riyaa` from yourself by considering the opinion of people as important to you as animals and small children. Do not differentiate in your worship between the presence of people or their absence, or between their knowledge of your actions and their ignorance. Rather be conscious of the infinite knowledge of Allah alone."

The Ways to Avoid Riyaa

1. Increasing knowledge of Islam
2. Du`a
The prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa salam) taught the specific Du`a for Riyaa:
"Allahumma innaa na`oothu bika an-nushrika bika shay`an na`lamuhu, wa nastagfiruka limaa laa na`lamuh. [O Allah, we seek refuge in you from committing shirk knowingly, and ask your forgiveness for (the shirk that we may commit unknowingly"]
3. Reflecting upon Heaven and Hell
4. Hiding one's good deeds
5. Reflection upon one self�s shortcomings
6. Accompanying the Pious
7. Knowledge of Riyaa

By: Abu Ammar Yasir al-Qathi
Source:  http://www.islamzine.com/virtues/riyaa.html - islamzine.com

-------------

Date Posted: 11 September 2007 at 5:00am

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Here i have few notes to be shared related to Khushu wa Khudu in Prayers.

Khushu wa Khudu in prayers is inversely propotional to one's love of this life. The more one loves the latter , the less he will  be able to concentrate  in the prayers. It is also a barometer of one's love of Allah. Those who love him cannot stray away from Him, right when they stand before Him.

The above shud tell us something about how difficult it is to achieve it. The solution has little  to do with the momentous efforts at concentration but is all about one's attitude towards this earthly life and the nature of relationship  with the Creator. It  shud tell us why the earliest Muslims succeeded and why the "latest" Muslims fail. It shud tell us the rationale behind a Companion's decision to give away his entire orchard in charity for the reason that a bird caught up in his thickly treed orchard was fluttering about looking a way out - causing Abu Talha's diversion in Prayer.

While efforts are made towards decrease  in love of this worldy life, attempt shud be directed at acheiving momentary  concentration in the prayers. A method , as suggested  by Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi , and which might work - atleast for few moments - consists of bringing back the mind and heart to the prayer, as soon as one realizes that they have strayed. That shud go on, no matter how many times they stray during the Prayer. That is , bring back to prayer when they stray, and so, repeatedly, until the prayers lasts.

-------------

Posted By: lovesakeenah
Date Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:54am

As-salaam alaykum warahamatullah wabarakatuh

I honestly can't believe I missed this thread until now.Well,I actually stopped reading some of the other threads because of the controversy that surrounds it&the immaturity with which some members(who shouldn't have even had access to join IC in the first place,am not sorry to say) were posting some very disturbing topics.It really discouraged me&kille my interest.But this is a very wonderful thread that shouldn't be allowed to wane because of lack of participation by a handful of members.Pls,let's spread the word about this thread.I love the topics discussed masha Allahu&pray Allah reward the participants so far.

I might not be able to contribute regularly as I would have loved to,but would masha Allahu come here to increase my Islamic knowledge by reading.Please,revive the thread!!!!

-------------
"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".

Posted By: deepblue
Date Posted: 28 April 2008 at 12:03am

Assalam alaikum,

"So what is more important in Taqwa, the act or the intention?"

Both is important. You cannot distinguish one from another because act will be meannigless without intention and if you dont plan to act then this time intention will be useless. Thats why, both has same importance I think.

Most of the time we are waiting for actions and most of the time we lose and we loose in our intentions so we cannot bring this two things together as it deserve... and this makes most todays muslims be back in this time. I think we no longer or we have a difficulty to understand and give enough importance to Taqwa.

wassalam,
deepblue

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 28 April 2008 at 1:20am
Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir Rajeem,
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim

Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Here i have few notes to be shared related to Khushu wa Khudu in Prayers.

Khushu wa Khudu in prayers is inversely propotional to one's love of this life. The more one loves the latter , the less he will  be able to concentrate  in the prayers. It is also a barometer of one's love of Allah. Those who love him cannot stray away from Him, right when they stand before Him.

The above shud tell us something about how difficult it is to achieve it. The solution has little  to do with the momentous efforts at concentration but is all about one's attitude towards this earthly life and the nature of relationship  with the Creator. It  shud tell us why the earliest Muslims succeeded and why the "latest" Muslims fail. It shud tell us the rationale behind a Companion's decision to give away his entire orchard in charity for the reason that a bird caught up in his thickly treed orchard was fluttering about looking a way out - causing Abu Talha's diversion in Prayer.

While efforts are made towards decrease  in love of this worldy life, attempt shud be directed at acheiving momentary  concentration in the prayers. A method , as suggested  by Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi , and which might work - atleast for few moments - consists of bringing back the mind and heart to the prayer, as soon as one realizes that they have strayed. That shud go on, no matter how many times they stray during the Prayer. That is , bring back to prayer when they stray, and so, repeatedly, until the prayers lasts.

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Masha Allah you have put it very correctly. One of the things I have learned is that one should try to bring to mind the favors of Allah (His blessings upon us) in all matters of life. This is an exercise we should be imposing upon our persons on a continous basis. It helps one in experiencing the love of Allah - which ultimately displaces the love of duniya. 

It can be said that this is a very slow process where one takes baby steps to begin with, but the effects can be realised within the soul in months to follow, insha Allah. Remember that everything that we have or we are, is a grace from Allah. Thus every blessings is a multitude of blessings in itself.

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 21 May 2008 at 2:14am
As-salaam alaykum warhaamtullah wabarakatuh

masha Allahu,beautiful discuss.I only wish that we will,as Muslims,outgrow 'race' issues&accept each other sincerely&wholeheartedly as brethren like the Ansaars did with Rasulullah(s.a.w).
There's still that gap&superiority complex.I think 'sisterhood/brotherhood is a very strong tool in passing across these messages.Without anyone looking down on another fellow Muslim as having lost faith,lower faith or the other being more pious because he/she's from a difference Continent.
May Allah help us from being our own enemies.......

-------------
"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 11 June 2008 at 2:33am
Originally posted by lovesakeenah lovesakeenah wrote:

May Allah help us from being our own enemies.......

Ameen.

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 12 June 2008 at 4:35am

THE ENEMY FROM WITHIN

I SEEK REFUGE FROM THE ACCURSED SHAYTON.I BEGIN IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICENT THE MERCIFUL. MAY HIS PEACE AND BLESSING BE UPON OUR NOBLE PROPHET, MUHAMMAD, HIS HOUSEHOLD, HIS COMPANIONS AND ALL THOSE WHO FOLLOW HIS PATH UNTIL THE DAY OF RECKONING!

I had only being in this Country for a few months and was already feeling �empty�. The emptiness was not farfetched. I had no friends, had no programmers to attend; and my husband told me �women� were not allowed to pray in the Mosques where he observes Jumaat.That wasn�t strange as I had experienced that before while in the UK. So, I asked him to enquire if per chance, there was any possibility that I could observe Jumaat.So, he came back with some� positive� news that there was a different section for females. What he did not know however was that, the place belonged to member of the congregation, who probably allows friends from other Muslim homes to observe Jumaat there. I was surprised but not uncomfortable, until I got in, performed the ablution and was about to observe nawafil.I just noticed the other women present, teenagers included, were not following the Imaam.I wasn�t sure what the routine was, so I asked a sister if she wasn�t praying and she replied that she had prayed. I was first to say the Tasleem when I gained entrance into the Household and rather than a cheerful respond that I expected, I was stared at and then some mumblings. I ignored that reception because I was there to observe �Jumaat�.I was hoping they�d warm up to me being a new person. I felt very uncomfortable afterwards. After realizing I was a� different� race. I observed what was more like a�Nawafil or Zhur�, not�Jumaat�; and left. If I refused to notice that I was been stared at, I would not be able to deny that they were far from friendly.

Prior and after that, I had been out, seen Muslim women in Ijab and had said the Tasleem to them. They just act as if they cannot comprehend what I say. It was always the same case, every time I saw a new Muslimah.

In addition, this once again, made me question what type of Islam we are practicing as Muslims. We are good at criticizing non-Muslims; talk so much about how the West classifies Islam. We get angry at the labels we receive from them and the mockery they make of our religion, their preconceived notions about Islam; and how �brainwashed we are�. The misconceptions that makes us feel �unwanted� in our non-Muslim Communities really hit us hard.But, we fail to acknowledge the fact that, even within us, there are acts of racism, branding, discrimination ,tagging  and all sorts of chastisement from our fellow brethren.

This is the reason I chose to write on this issue  because topics like� Reasons behind the acts of terrorism�,� The Different Schools of Thought�,Jihaad for the sake of Allah�, have received an overdose of write-ups.

It is a case of� practice what you preach�. And I consider this a very disturbing issue, which should not be neglected by any concerned Muslim.Like the saying goes,� Charity begins at home�. Many disgruntled Muslims are out there, wondering if the Islam they are taught permits such behaviours.Are we therefore not our own enemies? I wonder how we live with ourselves knowing, yet ignoring the fact that we make our fellow brother in faith feel�odd�.We utter the verses that speaks about doing good deeds, yet, we treat our brethren with disdain.

What is it with Muslims calling each other names, classifying people by their skin colour,judging their faith with the School of Thought they follow, labeling each other by being an�Ijabiite� or a�Niqaabi�(veiled Muslim women).How is it that an Arab thinks himself a better Muslim? The holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) set the black slave, Bilal free. And he gave him the privilege of being the first caller of Adhan.He was a �slave� first, and secondly, a �Black man�! Surely, Rasulullah (p.b.u.h) could have given that privilege to a fellow Arab. This is the best exemplar for mankind we are talking about. He did not do that. Is it not hypocritical for us to claim we are following the holy Qur�an and practicing the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h), yet; neglect the spirit of unity? A man�s beliefs are meaningless unless his actions and behaviour are in accordance to his beliefs.

The holy Qur�an states,�Oh mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female. And made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other).Verily, the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah, is (he who is) the most righteous of you and Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things)Suarh Al-Hujuurat Q49 verse 13.

We must have heard this verse countless times, but never truly examined the message it is passing across to us.

The holy Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) also said, None of you would have believed, until he loves for his brother what he loves for his own soul�-Bukhari.

I find it very saddening that I even read recounts of Pilgrims being treated like outcasts during the �Hajj Rites�. African Pilgrims have related the reception of Arabs as being very�racist�.That is not a recognizable word of a �believer�. What do we expect of non-believers?

A born-Muslim thinks himself better than a Revert. What right has he to judge him so? Piety is in the heart, and only Allah sees what lies in each one�s heart. Some brethren subjects fellow Muslims to scrutiny everyday, and we want to make the world believe Muslims are family.

Rasulullah (p.b.u.h) said, �A Muslim is the brother of a Muslim. He does not oppress nor wrong him. He does not fail him when he needs him. He does not lie to him. And he does not show contempt for him. Piety is here�-and he pointed to his chest three times. It is enough of evil for a person to hold his Muslim brother in contempt. All of a Muslim is sacred and inviolable to another Muslim: his blood, his wealth and his honour�-Muslim.

Knowing how much emphasis the holy Prophet (p.b.u.h) placed over caring for our neighbours, would we then live within Muslims of different race, ethnic, tribe and never relate with them? Would we rather be neighbours to non-Muslims? Would we prefer to be friends with Kufaars rather than our brethren in faith?

You walk into a mosque to observe Salaat, and discover they are all from the same race, should it matter to you that you are �physically� the �odd� one out? Obviously not, because we speak the same language as Muslims-Tasleem and feel at home. However, this is not the reality. You suddenly feel uncomfortable as you receive glances from all angles and they sure do not seem in need of your statistics to add up the number of their congregation. You observe your Salaat amidst uneasiness and return to your own community with news of how racist some Muslims are. What a shame!

Why don�t we stop fooling ourselves that our real enemies are out there? That we preach brotherhood and practice it? That true love exists amongst us as believers? We claim to be brethren, yet remain divided. We want to flag the banner of Islam, but cannot stop calling each other names. We are saddened by what we see on the TV everyday. We say the name of Rasulullah (p.b.u.h) is been dragged in the mud, but we cannot overlook our colour differences, to come together as one and proclaim the beauties of Islam. We say Islam is a simple religion and that there is no compulsion in it, but we cannot help criticizing our fellow brethren, who we claim are �too liberal�.What is the correlation between all these acts and the menaing of Islam?

The holy Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, �A believer to another believer is like a building whose different parts enforce each other. The Prophet then clasped his hands with the fingers interlaced (while saying that)-Narrated by Abu Musa.

It just never ceases to amaze me how we go about calling people to dawah yet, have a strained relationship with our fellow brethren. Whether you are from the Gulf, the Tropical of Africa or from the West, what unites us is Islam. And we should look out for our brothers in faith, not rebuke them. We should be our brother�s keeper. Return greetings with a smile and be there to assist a fellow Muslim in need irrespective of his origin. Allah (s.w.t) says in the Holy Qur�an,�The believers are nothing else than brothers. So make reconciliation between your brothers, and fear Allah that you may receive mercy�,Surat Al-Hujuurat Q49 verse 10. Even a smile is charity, so did our Noble Prophet (p.b.u.h) teach us; and it does not cost a thing to give that.

We read these teachings over and over again. We even go as far as preaching it to people, but we refuse to recognize the message being passed across to us. We refuse to heed these warnings. Moreover, Allah keeps reminding us in the Holy Qur�an that we �believers�, are brothers.We should be cautious of trivializing the act of labeling because Allah goes further and says,�O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group; it may be that the latter are better than the former. Nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former. Nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it to insult one�s brother after having faith as (O sinner or O wicked).And whosoever does not repent, then such are indeed Zalimun (wrong doers).Surat Al-Hujuurat Q49 verse 11

I read this and cannot fathom how any believer would not be bothered with man�s disobedience to their Lord!

Whether a believer, according to our judgmental values, is following the path of Sunnah or just being a nominal Muslim,theonly way we could help such people develop is by getting close to them, knowing them, their backgrounds and knowing their personality. We would not achieve this by avoiding them or calling them names and making them feel inferior.

The holy prophet (p.b.u.h) was able to call people to Islam through his good character and deeds. He accepted everyone with open arms. He was approachable, accepting, warm, kind, and cheerful and non-judgemental.That is Allah�s attribute-Al-Hakam (meaning The Judge).He called people to Islam he taught and, guided them following his teachings by examples. He practiced what he preached. People walked up to him and asked him questions. He was not discriminatory in any way. We might not be able to lead the life he led in it�s entirerity, but we can at least try to be true believers by following his example as Allah has ordered.He, Rasulullah (p.b.u.h) again warned us, �And hold fast, all of you together to the Rope of Allah (i.e. the Qur�an) and be not divided among yourselves and remember Allah�s favour on you, for you were enemies to one another but he joined your hearts together. So that by His Grace, you became brethren (in Islamic Faith), and you were on the brink of a pit of fire, and he saved you from it. Thus Allah makes His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations) clear to you, that you may be guided.Quran 3 verses 103.

Allah warned us further, �And be not as those who divided and differed among themselves after the clear proofs had come to them. It is they for whom there is an awful torment.�Qur�an 3 verse 105.

I for one believe we have made enough noise about how the West �blacklist us�, or how the world sees Muslims in general. It is high time we looked inside within our souls, amongst ourselves and how we relate with our fellow Muslims. We should ask ourselves,� am I one of them�?

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) relates that the prophet (p.b.u.h) said.� Allah will ask you on the Day of Judgement: Where are those who loved each for the sake of My Glory? Today on a Day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade�-Muslim.

So, before we judge anyone, before we scrutinize another Muslim because of the Small Ijab, that his skin his brown, that he is an Arab or a revert, we should pause and remember all these warnings.

May Almighty Allah strengthen the bond of goodwill in our Ummah.May He accept our simple acts of Ibaadat, ignore our little acts of ignorance and forgive us where we have erred.

-------------

Posted By: john2906
Date Posted: 09 November 2010 at 5:18am
. U support justice and forbid evil.

u trust in God.

Had the People accpted the Faith, it wud surely hv been better for them. Some are true belvrs, but mst are evil-doers.

u are the noblst commnity evr raised up...

Posted By: ahmad668
Date Posted: 04 December 2010 at 11:07am
Assalamualaikum,

Great discussion and i'm learning quite a lot about Islam. Thank you so much.

Posted By: AttractiveHopes
Date Posted: 04 February 2011 at 9:03pm
Assalaamoalaikum!

In Taqwa, act & intension both are very important but Intension has great reward than act.

Posted By: Timmothy1990
Date Posted: 25 April 2011 at 5:53pm
I am a New Sunni Muslim and i need help on how to do the salaat in english?Can youplease help me???

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 25 April 2011 at 10:55pm
Salat in Video

http://www.islamicity.com/ISLAMITV/?ref=1274 - http://www.islamicity.com/ISLAMITV/?ref=1274

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Posted By: tayek1967
Date Posted: 04 April 2012 at 3:38am
Islam is allover highest religion. middle means balance of every site about soul vs body. I smoothly share with u. right orientation call hedayah & sincerity is call of takwa. I want to know with u. thanks.   

Posted By: Aman Shaikh
Date Posted: 27 April 2016 at 4:43am
Hello

In my childhood and consequent relentless studies, Islam appears to be a sexual orientation, racial, and religiously libertarian religion. A religion that shows that every single individual are totally equivalent in God's sight and are made all things considered and that every single individual are invested with cognizance and insight through which he or she can know God by and by. The genuine quintessence of Islam just rises after one strips away the social, ethnic, and ideological form ups and dross. However the Islam I have discovered polished is altogether different in that refinements in light of race, ideology, class, religion, and sex happen all the time in the social orders that case to be Muslim models.

Posted By: madihakhan
Date Posted: 17 July 2016 at 11:11pm
Intentions are always more important, because when you have good intentions you will turn a good human being and do good acts and when your intention is not good you will start doing evil deeds, but your question is about two hadiths are so I m sure both are important we should try to make proper wudu but also try to use less water , and both are possible !

Posted By: Noor-e-hidayat
Date Posted: 16 October 2019 at 11:37pm
waalikum salam 
Nice Thread dearHeart

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net