Print Page | Close Window

Why is pork forbidden in Islam?

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Interfaith Dialogue
Forum Description: It is for Interfaith dialogue, where Muslims discuss with non-Muslims. We encourge that dialogue takes place in a cordial atmosphere on various topics including religious tolerance.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7550
Printed Date: 25 April 2024 at 1:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why is pork forbidden in Islam?
Posted By: ysimjee
Subject: Why is pork forbidden in Islam?
Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 12:06am
WHY IS PORK FORBIDDEN IN ISLAM??

Bob: Tell me why is it that a Muslim is very

particular about the words Halaal and Haraam; what do

they mean?

Yunus: That which is permissible is termed Halaal and

that which is not permissible is termed Haraam and

it is the Quran which draws the distinction between

the two.

Bob: Can you give me an example?

'Yunus: Yes, Islam has prohibited ! blood of any type.

You will agree"that a chemical analysis of blood shows

that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can

be injurious to human health. "

"Bob: You're right about the toxic nature of uric

acid, in the human being it is excreted as a waste

product and in fact we are told that 98% of the body's

uric acid is extracted from the blood by the kidneys

and removed through urination.

Yunus: Now I think that you'll appreciate the special

prescribed method of animal slaughter in Islam.

Bob: What do you mean?

"Yunus: You see, the wielder of the knife, whilst

taking the name of the'Almighty', makes an incision

through the jugular veins,leaving all other veins and

organs intact.

"Bob: I see, this causes the death of the animal by a

total loss of blood from the! body, rather than an

injury to any vital organ. "

"Yunus: Yes, were the organs, example the heart, the

liver, or the brain crippled or damaged, the animal

could die immediately and its blood would congeal in

its veins and would eventually permeate the flesh.

This implies that the animal flesh would be permeated

and contaminated with uric acid and therefore very

poisonous; only today did our dietitians realize such

a thing.

"Bob: Again, while on the topic of food; Why do

Muslims condemn the eating of pork or ham or any foods

related to pigs or swine.

"Yunus: Actually, apart from the Quran prohibiting the

consumption of pork,bacon (pig flesh); in fact the

Bible too in Leviticus chapter 11,verse 8, regarding

swine it says, ""of their flesh (of the

swine another name for pig)shall you not eat, and of

their carcass you shall not touch; they are " unclean to you."" Further,

did you know that a pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck for it does

not have a neck; that is according to its natural anatomy.

A Muslim reasons that if the pig was to be slaughtered and fit for

human consumption the Creator would have provided it with a neck.

Nonetheless, all that aside, I am sure you are well

informed about the harmful effects of the consumption

of pork, in any form, be it pork chops, ham, bacon.

Bob: The medical science finds that there is a risk

for various diseases as the pig is found to be a host

for many parasites and potential diseases.

Yunus: Yes, even apart from that, as we talked about

uric acid content in the blood, it is important to

note that the pig's biochemistry excretes only 2% of

its total uric acid content, the remaining 98% remains

as an integral part of the body.

it may answer some of their questions especially when the children ask.

Replies:
Posted By: candid
Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 1:02am

Then why are the fishes allowed? They too don't hava a 'neck'.

I think pig is not allowed because it gather its food by pouncing/swooping on its prey. It, sort of, snatches its food.

As far as I know, it is forbidden in Islam to eat such animals because it is thought that those who eat them will also start behaving like those animals (i.e, will also start acting greedily and snatching what belongs to others.)

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 1:14am

I'm not hundred percent sure regarding fish.  But also not all type of fish is allowed for consumption

But i was told by a Appa that animals with split hoofs and no neck is haraam in islam.

Pork is a dirty discasting animal. 

It is stated in the Quran that swine is haraam for consumption.

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 1:19am
I think all types of sea-food are allowed in Islam. But neck of a pig is more conspicious than that of a fish.

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 1:23am

I think this site is informative:-

http://www.albalagh.net/qa/pleasure_hunting.shtml - http://www.albalagh.net/qa/pleasure_hunting.shtml

http://www.askmoses.com/article.html?h=554&o=88510 - http://www.askmoses.com/article.html?h=554&o=88510

http://reactor-core.org/food-laws.html - http://reactor-core.org/food-laws.html

All horned animals have split hoofs.

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 1:31am

Asked around regarding fish.

According, one of the prophets cut the gills into a fish.  If there is no other food around then fish is allowed.

Posted By: BMZ
Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 3:48am

Because The Lord Almighty had forbidden it earlier, before the advent of Islam.

The Lord God said in 14:8 Deutronomy,"The pig is also unclean;although it has a split hoof, it does not chew the cud. You are therefore not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses."

Now when the Lord God has already declared that the pig is unclean and has forbidden it, no one is supposed to eat it.

BMZ

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:08am

Thank you BMZ for clarifying.

Unfortunatly the western world chances everything to their liking and lifestyle

-------------
Y Simjee

Posted By: fatima
Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:29am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Islam does not allow the meat of animal which consume faeces and this included pigs in the old days. Now the modern world argues why is it bad now because they are given good healthy food. Alhamdulillah There are many wisdoms behind each legislation in islam, modern research shows what pork brings to human body.

A. Diseases caused by pork and pig.

Parasitic Diseases.

1. Trichinilla spiralis:
It is the most dangerous parasite to man. It is prevailing widely in countries which eat pork but lacking in countries which prohibit pork consumption e.g. Muslim countries.

Dr. Glen shephard wrote the following on the dangers of eating pork in the 31th May, 1952 issue of the Washington Post, Washington:-

"One in six people in the United States of America and Canada have germs in their muscles - trichinosis - from eating pork infected with trichina or trichina - worms, many people so infected, have no symptoms. Most of those who do have, recover very slowly some die, some are reduced to permanent invalids. All were careless pork eaters."

"No one is immune from this disease and there is no cure. Neither anti-biotics nor drugs, nor vaccines affect these tiny deadly worms. Preventing infections is the real answer."

"Fully grown trichina worms are about 1/8" long and about 1/400" board. They remain alive for up to 40 years, curled up in lemon-shaped invisible tiny capsules between muscle fibres".

"When you eat infected meat, those dormant worm capsules are digested but their contents grow into full-sized worms each of which has about 1,500 off-springs. They get into your blood one to two weeks after you have eaten their parents, because many organs can be invaded by the worms, symptoms can resemble those of 50 other diseases. This makes diagnosis difficult."

"Ordinary methods of salting and smoking do not kill those worms; nor can government inspection of meat at packing houses or abattoirs identify all infected pork".

After reading the statement of Dr. Shephard, we can presume that there is no real guarantee of safety, even when eating pork which is not affected by trichina worms. To take pork then, is a gamble with one's health and to put one's life at stake. 

2. Taenia solim (Pork tape worm)

Both eggs and larvac (cysticenra) are infective. These worms are only found in pork eaters. The worm may cause malnourishment of the host leading to anaemia, diarrhoea. Toxins produced may have deleterious influence on various systems of the body. In some patients the knowledge that they have such long worm inside their bellies may lead to extreme depression melancholia and digestive disturbances. Cysticercosis means that larvac enter the blood stream then settle down in one or more of the vital organs of the body e.g. brain, liver, lungs or spinal cord. They grow and encapsulate, leading to pressure symptom around, resulting in dangerous diseases.

3.   Round worms: e.g. Ascaris, which may lead to digestive disturbances, appendicitis, obstructive jaundice.

4. Hook worms: e.g. Ancylostomiasis, which may lead to anaemia, edema, heart failure or retarded growth (mentally and physically).

5. Schistosoma Japonicum: Bleeding, anaemia and other syndromes. If ova are settled in the brain or spinal cord, paralysis and death may occur.

6. Paragonimes westermaimi: leading to bleeding of the lungs.(Endenve haemoptysis).

7. Faciolepsis buski: (Digestive disturbance is leading to persistent diarrhoea. Generalized edema.

8. Clonorchis sinensis: Chlonorchiasis - obstructive jaundice, liver enlargement.

9. Metastrongylus apri: Causing bronchitis, abscess of the lungs.

10. Giganthorinchus gigas: An anaemia and digestive disorders.

11. Balantidium coli: causing acute dysentry and general weakness.

Other Worms and Parasites in the pig

Bacterial diseases:
1.Tuber-Bacillis (Tuberculosis).
2.Fusiformis necrofurus: Causing foot-rot which is very difficult to heal.
3.Salmonella cholera suis: causing cholera.
4.Paratyphoid
5.Bruceellosis: Acute, subacute and chronic. It may lead to permanent disabilities.
6. Swine Erysipelas: causing Erysipelas in man.  

Viral diseases:
1. Smallpox: Pig was a source of infection to man, but now controlled universally.
2. Japanese-B-encephalitis: It was the cause of death of many persons in an epidemic outbreak in Sri Lanka in the year of 1985. Pig was the only source of infection.
3.Western River Virus encephalitis.
4.Russian River encephalitis.
5.Viral myocarditis.
6.Influenza
7. Foot mouth disease.
8. Gastro-enteritis of the new born babies.  

Protozoal diseases:
Toxo plasma goundii: causing toxoplasmosis. It is a very dangerous disease. A new born babe of an infected woman may die within few days or weeks after delivery. But if he survives he may develop blindness or deafness. In adults chronic exhaustive fever with enlarged liver and spleen may occur. Pneumonia, myocarditis or cerebro-spinal meningitis may lead to death or madness. The patient may become blind and deaf too.

B. Diseases to biological composition of Pork.

1. Uric acid accumulation. Pig is considered the animal which has a high percentage of uric acid in his flesh. It only excretes 2% of its uric acid in urine, the remainder becomes part of his flesh composition. Pig always feels pain in his joints because of gout. Man excretes about 90% of uric acid in the urine and other animals differ in the ratio of excretion of uric acid.
2. Fats in Pigs: Pork contains more than two and half times fat than mutton or beef. Therefore people who are fond of pork are more obese than others. Cholesterol is higher in their blood which makes them more prone to atherosclerosis cardiovascular accidents and sudden death than others.

3. Indigestion: Other flesh is more digestable than Pork , Mutton or beef remains 2-3 hours in the stomach after eating but Pork remain 4 hours till digested. They may lead to chronic digestive disturbances.
4. Skin diseases: Pimples, boils, cysts are common in pork eaters.
5. Pork encourages the revival of old ailments, fosters Rheumatism and asthma and may lead to sterility. German doctors noticed that the wounded Turkish Muslim soldiers who never eat pork and admitted to hospitals during the European wars were cured in a much shorter time than were German soldiers who eat pork. Therefore they forbade strictly the German soldiers from eating pork during hospitalization. 

-------------
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:46am

Thank you, ysimjee.

And that also shows that the words of the Good Lord never change.

I suspect that one dish will be coming up soon in response. Do you know what is that? It has something to do with "in" and "out"!

Mind everyone here that even Jesus never ate pork. He was a fish person.

BMZ 

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:48am

Jazakallah Fatima for your clear Description on how dangerous it is to eat swine.

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 5:20am

It is amazing what people will do to make something lawful...

A friend of mine told me that it is said that one day a muslim declaire that swine is halaal and it may be eaten.

Allah forbid something like that happening, but if it does, inshallah our muslim brothers and sisters imaan wont be so weak as to give into something that is haraam.

Posted By: Reepicheep
Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 7:29am

> 1. Trichinilla spiralis:
> It is the most dangerous parasite to man. It is prevailing widely
in countries which eat pork

If the above statement is true, then you should have no trouble providing evidence which proves that trichinilla is common in Canada.  Please provide us with the evidence. 

Posted By: Cyril
Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 7:37am
The only reason why pork is forbidden in Islam is the reason given by Bmz: "Because The Lord Almighty had forbidden it earlier, before the advent of Islam."

The explanations of pork being too dangerous to eat are attempts by people, embarrassed by the good health and long-life expectancy of pork-eating Westerners, to find excuses to a seemingly pointless dietary law.

Hundreds of millions of people raise and eat pork in tropical climates (South China, Indochina, Papua) without suffering from pork induced diseases.

My explanation of the ban on pork in Judaism and Islam is probably because, thousands of years ago, it was such an important animal (as the pig is economically)  that it became somehow sacred and eventually a taboo. In the following centuries the religious origin of that taboo became forgotten and only remained the idea that the pig was unclean.

A similar process of sacralization can be observed with the cow in Hinduism.

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:46pm

No offense Candid, ok

Originally posted by candid candid wrote:

As far as I know, it is forbidden in Islam to eat such animals because it is thought that those who eat them will also start behaving like those animals (i.e, will also start acting greedily and snatching what belongs to others.)

Everytime I see this i have to laugh, its just a funny concept.

Has anyone seen such people who eat pork act as such ??

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by ysimjee ysimjee wrote:

Jazakallah Fatima for your clear Description on how dangerous it is to eat swine.

Same can be said about chicken

-------------

Date Posted: 10 November 2006 at 5:19pm

Originally posted by Cyril Cyril wrote:

The only reason why pork is forbidden in Islam is the reason given by Bmz: "Because The Lord Almighty had forbidden it earlier, before the advent of Islam."

The explanations of pork being too dangerous to eat are attempts by people, embarrassed by the good health and long-life expectancy of pork-eating Westerners, to find excuses to a seemingly pointless dietary law.

Hundreds of millions of people raise and eat pork in tropical climates (South China, Indochina, Papua) without suffering from pork induced diseases.

My explanation of the ban on pork in Judaism and Islam is probably because, thousands of years ago, it was such an important animal (as the pig is economically)  that it became somehow sacred and eventually a taboo. In the following centuries the religious origin of that taboo became forgotten and only remained the idea that the pig was unclean.

A similar process of sacralization can be observed with the cow in Hinduism.

I have to lean towards Cyril on this. Pigs used be and are sacred animals to alot people just like the cow in Hinduism.

I would say eating wild boar and undomesticated pigs would be dangerous and for that i would be with fatima of what she brought across. I don't necessarily disagree with the information but today's pigs or pork are pretty much regulated for consumption, if such pigs were found to be unhealthy and/or have diseases, I don't think pork would get passed the health organisations. The same with chicken/duck/turkey/cows/sheep and goats.

As with all meats unproperly unprepared and not stored properly and not cooked properly would cause illnesses.

I have always eaten pork and there is nothing wrong with me, no worms as such, the same as with those, who i know eat pork. It is a really good source of thiamin and protein. As I'm sure you have heard before pigs are a clean animal dispite them rolling around in mud  which is also known to be good for your skin by the way

Feed them a healthy diet the better, that goes for chicken/duck/turkey and cows, goats, sheep  

Now, I am not trying to convince anyone to eat pork or sway from religious teachings.  whenever the subject of pork comes up I always say pretty mucht he same thing.

As with the saying goes, if unsure then don't

-------------

Date Posted: 11 November 2006 at 12:39am
My explanation of the taboo on the pig in Judaism and Islam is only a theory of course. I don't think anthropologists have found the final explanation yet. Same I think with circumcision. Only the ban on blood has been explained rationally.

What irritates me are the so-called "reasons" why pork should be dangerous. Any meat and food can be dangerous in bad conditions. In the Middle-Ages there was the Saint Anthony's fire, a disease induced by ergotized rye and bread. Everyone is still eating bread, Muslims included.

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 12 November 2006 at 12:54pm

Asalaamu alaikum:

Pork is known to cause higher lipid counts in the blood stream than other meats. It is a lipid that causes more havoc with the digestion than other lipids. It is harder to digest, and is believed to stay in the veins longer. Most cardiologists with whom I have worked at at the local teaching hospital do not recommend it in the cardiac diet. It wreaks havoc with those who may have gallbladder disease. All the parasites mentioned by Sister Fatima are highly prevalent in pork. I have watched pigs in a factory farm eat their own excrement. Yuck! Allah (swt) knows best, and I will follow his recommends. After all, He created us!

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 12 November 2006 at 6:52pm

Maryah wrote:

> I have watched pigs in a factory farm eat their own excrement.

I have watched chickens eating their own droppings.  I assume, then, that Muslims are not allowed to eat chicken?

Date Posted: 12 November 2006 at 10:13pm
In short, Allah proclaimed pork is haraam.  He knows best. 

Date Posted: 13 November 2006 at 1:17am
Allah also proclaimed alcohol consumption haraam.

Why didn't he also forbade the other intoxicants as hashish and poppies which are mainly grown in Muslim countries?

Date Posted: 13 November 2006 at 1:48am

If its haraam sustain from it.  Why would anyone want to make something halaal that is haraam?

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 13 November 2006 at 7:03am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Yes, prohibition of pork in Islam means that Muslims should not eat it. Period. Why did Allah do that? We may not fully know His wisdom.

Yes, we may do research and investigation with present technology to learn why we should not eat pork. After 1400 years from now, we may know more along these lines. But, Muslims of 1400 years back, those of us present now, and those 1400 years or longer from now would follow it regardless of technological developments that keep changing with time.

Scientific research and discoveries with passage of time may change, but Islam remains the same.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Date Posted: 13 November 2006 at 11:00am

In short, Allah proclaimed pork is haraam.  He knows best. 

Precisely..Allah knows best, and it is His commandment PERIOD..no matter the chickens or whatever!

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 13 November 2006 at 10:06pm

Jazakallah for everyone�s opinion regarding eating pork.

In some of the commends given I can see that not everyone is happy regarding it, but its interesting to know as for most of the things done in Islam has a benefit towards our health.

Allah knows best in all he has given us.

Slm

Date Posted: 14 November 2006 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

No offense Candid, ok

Historically, there seems to be strong correlation if you compare the behavior of Muslim and the Christian conquerors in the past. Christians were more brutal.  

But yes, I admit, if it was not from Hadith, I won't have believed it.

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 14 November 2006 at 3:59am

Bismillah...

Assalaamualaikum

There is Wisdom of Allah in every command of His. For a Muslim,it is enough that Allah and His Messenger (sallahu alayhi wasallam) forbade something. Yes, there are reasons behind every prohibition, we MAY know it or we MAY NOT know it. THe prophet(sallahu alayhi wasallam)  gave reasons for some things when asked.  

When our mothers said "no" to many things throughout our childhood, we wondered why, but when we grew up we understood why certain things were forbidden by our parents. Allah loves us more than our mothers do.

We use science to further understand things (after quran and sunnah). and science has "discovered" with many things islam has already taught us about. (that can be discussed in another thread)

For nonmuslims , the quran holds no importance, hence we use science to explain the reasons behind prohibitions. It is upto an individual to accept or reject. The truth will be out on DOJ.

Allahu Aalam. (Allah knows best).

wassalaam.

CYRIL: Islam has forbidden anything that is harmful to the body, any kind of intoxicant is forbidden.

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Posted By: ejdavid
Date Posted: 18 November 2006 at 11:43am
Fatima - You wrote: "Trichinilla spiralis: It is the most dangerous parasite to man."

The most dangerous parasitic disease is malaria. Bar none....

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 18 November 2006 at 11:54am
Originally posted by ejdavid ejdavid wrote:

Fatima - You wrote: "Trichinilla spiralis: It is the most dangerous parasite to man."

And your point being ?

Date Posted: 18 November 2006 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by ejdavid ejdavid wrote:

And your Medical degrees that qualify you to make this statement Ejdavid?

The most dangerous parasite known to man is that of ignorance and intolerance. Ignorance and intolerance causes wars, people to ignore the desperate plight of their fellow man, man to kill others for political agendas. It kills and maims and starves the innocent. Pride is the work of the Shaitan, or Satan as you may know him.

Allah (swt) know best, as you can see, the counsel of man is not what is needed in this world.

Peace be with you.

-------------

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 19 November 2006 at 12:27am
The pork represents as the symbol of ultimate materialism and  Capitalism --how can anybody miss the sign of bank and money without a pig drawn next to it.
It also symbolizes the favors, graft and corruption in the running of the government.
It's side effects on the consumer are to lust(immodesty), gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and Pride(hubris).
If you look around and observe could you not observe these traits in around societies which has pork as their staple food.
I know friend who reverted to Islam said quiting  pork was the hardest  thing to do.

Amongst my acquaintances there were some nominal Muslims who did start consuming pork; talked about gluttonous addiction to it. The rest of the traits also became obvious in them after a while.

Talking to them about Islam became a lost cause,

Whereas the Islam's requires the normal believer to do certain rituals to curb all the listed conditions and create a personality of modesty, temperance, sacrifice, passion, peace, charitableness and humility by salah, fasting and zkat and Hajj as appropriate which a pork lover may never do.

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 19 November 2006 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

The pork represents as the symbol of ultimate materialism and  Capitalism --how can anybody miss the sign of bank and money without a pig drawn next to it.
It also symbolizes the favors, graft and corruption in the running of the government.

What a childish way of reasoning?
Is it because there was a ban on pork that the magnificent Islamic civilization floundered in the sixteenth century and the barbarian pork-eating Westerners totally superseded it in every branch of knowledge and technology up to this day?

Date Posted: 19 November 2006 at 2:07pm

If I understand this thread correctly, muslims here are claiming that, according to the koran, humans take on the characteristics of any animals that they eat.

For example, chickens have a reputation for being timid and fearful, and they eat their own droppings.  Therefore, according to Islamic law, any Muslim who eats chicken is a coward who eats human excrement.

What is the punishment, according to Islamic law, for eating chicken???

Date Posted: 19 November 2006 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Cyril Cyril wrote:

What a childish way of reasoning?
Is it because there was a ban on pork that the magnificent Islamic civilization floundered in the sixteenth century and the barbarian pork-eating Westerners totally superseded it in every branch of knowledge and technology up to this day?

You prove MPOV hands down so pork eating westerners supersession in knowledge and technology incinerated millions upon million of Jews in high technology ovens and fried pulverized hundreds of million their own enlightened people in high tech war mongering for the colonial greed.
You can tabulate the totals in your spare time.
How many more are in the cross hair of technology kill for oil
How the moronic knowledge helping now in Iraq

Your alluding to magnificent Islamic civilization floundering in the sixteenth century pork eaters inquisition is an additional point proving the pork barrel mentality of the knowledgeable Europeans.
BTW who saved the harried Jews exiled from the POPE's torturers and killers' clutches the magnificent Ottomans.
Does it look childish now

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 19 November 2006 at 5:29pm

No offense Candid, ok

Historically, there seems to be strong correlation if you compare the behavior of Muslim and the Christian conquerors in the past. Christians were more brutal.

why do you pick these two groups only to compare? And how many of those conquers do you KNOW that ate pork? none I suppose. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:32pm

It's side effects on the consumer are to lust(immodesty), gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and Pride(hubris).
If you look around and observe could you not observe these traits in around societies which has pork as their staple food.

WELL, that was a lot of misinformation about banks and people!

Asian countries have pork as there staple diet, are they immodesty, greed, envy, pride, etc ??? don't just look in the big cities, go to the smal country towns and see more insight. NO! I wish PEOPLE HERE WOULD STOP LOOKING AT THE WEST TO COMPARE AND MAKE THEIR POINT RELEVENT, it does you no good when others eat pork or whatever to do with the pigs and does not show certain or present certain signs that you think or believe is. DO some research and you will see!

AS for the banks having the pig as a symbol here are some facts: the piggy bank got its name and shape as a result of a pun on the word pygg, a type of clay commonly used to produce household items.

Read more here about the piggy bank: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggybank - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggybank

to alot of people pigs are what the cows are to hindus. And also represent good luck to some people.

Quote I know friend who reverted to Islam said quiting  pork was the hardest  thing to do.

do you think that supports your point?  

Quote Amongst my acquaintances there were some nominal Muslims who did start consuming pork; talked about gluttonous addiction to it. The rest of the traits also became obvious in them after a while.

I find that laughable, i really do. for one anybody that has had some thing forbidden and starts eating or some non eating activity, will start to feel guilty because they think/believe shouldn't have it and so it becomes a gluttonous addictions. How many people say this about chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc and say I would really like but I shouldn't...

As for the traits that is so far off the mark, tell me about the asian people who eat it, pork is nearly in all dishes? people eat other animals, do they act like those animal that they consume. Someone said something about the chicken, well do people act like that?

It is so absurd!!

Quote which a pork lover may never do.

again, absurd.

When I have, i love my pork (so I guess i'm a pork lover  ) and so do the people I know who eat it. I also know a few of people who cannot eat pork because it upset them, and that is no different to other foods like dairy products upsetting some people and those who are intolerant to it.

Look, I know very well pork is forbid in islam - I have NO PROBLEM with it -, many people know this and accept it to (some others don't eat it maybe they don't like it) but when some muslims bring so called evidence for it (against eating it) and is shown to be false and is countered acted.......the whole thing crazy!

If you don't eat pork, fine but stop bringing the animal's characters into humans who comsume it! It is false.

AS I have said before, people eat: cows, sheep/lamb, goat, chicken not  forgetting deer, fish, whale, seals, If the characteristic of the pig is imparted on the human that eats it, then the others animals that humans eat must impart on to.

So who acts like a whale ?? a seal?? a chicken??

-------------

Date Posted: 19 November 2006 at 9:48pm

Overall, the population that eats pigs or any other animal that snatches its food do become brutal. Such a population loses patience and grabs anything that comes its way for its own interest. It stops thinking about others. Some of the people in that population might not act in that manner but overall the population does become brutal.

Date Posted: 19 November 2006 at 9:55pm

No offense Candid, ok

why do you pick these two groups only to compare?

Europeans do have tradition of eating pork. You can check.

Even compared to other non-muslims such as Mongols and Persians, Muslims were less brutal.

Quote  And how many of those conquers do you KNOW that ate pork? none I suppose. 

I did not understand your question.

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 20 November 2006 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Reepicheep Reepicheep wrote:

If I understand this thread correctly, muslims here are claiming that, according to the koran, humans take on the characteristics of any animals that they eat.

For example, chickens have a reputation for being timid and fearful, and they eat their own droppings.  Therefore, according to Islamic law, any Muslim who eats chicken is a coward who eats human excrement.

Which Muslim said that the Quran says so?

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Date Posted: 20 November 2006 at 3:27am

Overall, the population that eats pigs or any other animal that snatches its food do become brutal. Such a population loses patience and grabs anything that comes its way for its own interest. It stops thinking about others. Some of the people in that population might not act in that manner but overall the population does become brutal.

Absurd!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 November 2006 at 3:48am

No offense Candid, ok

why do you pick these two groups only to compare?

Europeans do have tradition of eating pork. You can check.

Yes I know and in some european countries the pig is a good luck charm. I left them out because europe is part of the western world.

Quote Even compared to other non-muslims such as Mongols and Persians, Muslims were less brutal.

Do you think you can get off this notion about being brutal and eating pig? or any animal that snatches food. Because it is false. Look around you today and those that eat pork.  

You are grasping at straws to validate not eating pork supposedly making you brutal or violent.

I gave you other animals that people eat. eskimos hunt and eat seal it is their staple diet, they clubber the seal on the head, brutal I say  but eskimos are not known to eat pork, and yet are gentle people apart from clubbing the seal to death   

What about those that eat rabbit (and not eat pork), go and hunt them in traps or shoot them ? what about deer?

Originally posted by Candid Candid wrote:

And how many of those conquers do you KNOW that ate pork? none I suppose. 

You say that the christian conquers were more brutal and my question is:

How many of those conquers do you know that ate pork?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 November 2006 at 4:07am
Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Which Muslim said that the Quran says so?

I believe amah that reepicheep got his notion from Candid who mentioned this (below) in his first post which by the way Candid did not mention qu'ran  so that was a mistake on reepi's side.

But Candid has not brought evidence from islam about it thou, and I am in the middle of conversing with him that it is absurd he is trying to make it valid that those who eat pork are brutal.

So in a counter balance reepicheep brought the chicken point and asked about islams position on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 November 2006 at 1:37pm
Quote by Angel :
which a pork lover may never do.

again, absurd.

Quoting an incomplete text indicates that you own the the rights to the absurdity. I said as follow:

Whereas the Islam's requires the normal believer to do certain rituals to curb all the listed conditions and create a personality of modesty, temperance, sacrifice, passion, peace, charitableness and humility by salah, fasting and zkat and Hajj as appropriate which a pork lover may never do.

You thought you knew better about the state of moral turpitude of the pork eating people in orient or occident, you asked for it you will got it:

the real scenarios and say how they jive with my statement

Majority out of wedlock/illegitimate births in European countries

Child rapes

Catholic Preachers molesting boys in US (there being no uproar from the laity for paying out millions in settlements cuz they would do the same if they could get away)

Ted Haggard resigned as president of the influential National Association of Evangelicals, an umbrella group representing more than45,000 churches with 30 million member after getting exposed. Go have some more pork now!
cus he was closet druggie and homosexual while married. It is the greatest example of hypocrisies of these Evangelicals working against   Islam like you.

Remember another one JImmy Swaggert getting caught with prostitutes!

Alcoholism,

Drug addiction,

Gang banging,

Porn industry head quartered in San Fernando valley California,

Gambling

Open(legal or otherwise) prostitution, European prostitutes flooding ME

Mate swapping;

Child molesters traveling to the orient/India for cheap availability of the child prostitutes.

Do you want more

-------------

Date Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:00pm

So, Sign*Reader, just to confirm what you are claiming...

You are saying that it is a core Muslim belief that people take on the behavioral characteristics of any animals they eat.

For example, you believe that any Muslim who eats chicken is a coward who eats human excrement. 

Correct?

Date Posted: 20 November 2006 at 10:10pm

So, Sign*Reader, just to confirm what you are claiming...

You are saying that it is a core Muslim belief that people take on the behavioral characteristics of any animals they eat.

For example, you believe that any Muslim who eats chicken is a coward who eats human excrement. 

Correct?

No it is not part of Muslim belief, it is my own observation.
What the Muslims have been told? Don't eat it just like the Israelites. Nothing new!
Why are you so hung up on chicken n shit? fetish-like!
You need to start thread on chicken if you like!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:27am

Quote by Angel :
which a pork lover may never do.

again, absurd.

Quoting an incomplete text indicates that you own the the rights to the absurdity. I said as follow:

I know exactly what you said! you showed a list of what normal believer (muslims or anyone) is, those who do not eat pork are modest, temperance, sacifice, passion, peace, charitableness and are humility (and for muslims) by salah, fasting, sakat and hajj. (Take away the islamic activities) You are saying that pork lovers are not modest, temperancec, sacifice, passion, peace, charitable and humility. AND I say it is absurd! and I will say it till I am blue inthe face, because there is nothing supporting it, nor nothing supporting or showing that those who are eating pork act like the animals or do those horrible acts you listed in your scenarios!

Am I a pig because I eat pork and enjoy it when I have it. Am I not charitable or have humilty and is peaceful??, that is what you are saying about me and many other people who eat pork. I brought stuff to counter act you. I am sorry that you are not happy with but I am not happy that you are being insulting towards me because i like pork and saying that I am or do those things you listed. 

I pointed out so many things in opposing when speaking to Candid, go and read. 

Quote Whereas the Islam's requires the normal believer to do certain rituals to curb all the listed conditions and create a personality of modesty, temperance, sacrifice, passion, peace, charitableness and humility by salah, fasting and zkat and Hajj as appropriate which a pork lover may never do.

You thought you knew better about the state of moral turpitude of the pork eating people in orient or occident, you asked for it you will got it:

Well I am one that eats pork and know many others, don't you think I am best to say to you otherwise?? All of your senarios just don't happen to those who eat pork!

And anyway, what do you know of their eating habits - have you been invited to dinner??

Those who know me here know that I do not or am not what you say!

I am using me as an example, which I am pretty much putting myself on the line here for ridicule

Sign reader, your intelligent enough to know better. I am surprised that you are pressing the bad/unmoral/sinful behaviour onto those who eat pork.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:36am

Originally posted by Candid Candid wrote:

And how many of those conquers do you KNOW that ate pork? none I suppose. 

You say that the christian conquers were more brutal and my question is:

How many of those conquers do you know that ate pork?

I see.

Let me put it this way. There were many conquerors in the past who ate pork. However, I only consider Europeans vs Muslims, because these are the only 2 groups who dominated the world as much as they did. Comparing the two does give a good perspective as to how eating pork affects the behavior of the population.

There were other conqerors too who ate pork, but it is difficult to compare them with Muslims because their issues were much different.

Its like you can compare TV of different brands, but you cannot compare a TV with radio.

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:53am

lol! unbelievable!

Still grasping at straws.

Quote Comparing the two does give a good perspective as to how eating pork affects the behavior of the population.

that's a ridiculous notion! no it does not give a good perspective.

You don't know what they ate, that is like me saying that you are eating fish but you say you aren't, but I keep saying you are eating fish, and I cannot see you, how is that a good perspective ??

ridiculous notions!

I'm outta here till some sense comes back!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 3:37am

lol! unbelievable!

Still grasping at straws.

Quote Comparing the two does give a good perspective as to how eating pork affects the behavior of the population.

that's a ridiculous notion! no it does not give a good perspective.

You don't know what they ate, that is like me saying that you are eating fish but you say you aren't, but I keep saying you are eating fish, and I cannot see you, how is that a good perspective ??

ridiculous notions!

I'm outta here till some sense comes back!

Why is it wrong to assume that the Europeans ate pork and Muslims didn't in the the middle ages?

Assuming that some Europeans didn't eat pork, such Europeans should also have been affected by the behavior of those who did eat pork as they lived with them and adopted the way of thinking of the people who lived with them.

Posted By: Hanan
Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 5:56am

Hold fast to the rope of Allah, and be not divided

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 6:41am

Hanan wrote:

> pigs like to scavenge and will eat any kind of food, including dead

> insects, worms, rotting carcasses, excreta (including their own),

You seem to be saying that one of the reasons Muslims are not allowed to eat pork is that pigs eat excrement.  But chickens also eat excrement.  So, then, you would also agree that Muslims are not allowed to eat chicken, correct?

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 7:01am

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 7:06am

According to Islamic law, is there a connection between pigs eating excrement and Muslims not being allowed to eat pork?  And, if there is no connection, then why do muslims in this thread repeatedly bring up that pigs eat excrement as justification for the ban on pork???

Someone explain this contradiction to me, please.

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 7:24am

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 9:17am

Hanan wrote:

> Your previous posts tells me that you are also unable to

> simultaneously read AND understand what you just read.

That must be the falt of the no ggood ejucation system we have here in Alberta.  You shouldnt mak fun uf me just because I didnt go to a islamic skool like yous did.

Sorrry, I hafta go now. "Celebrity Mud Wrestling" is on the telebision now, and I hate to misss it.

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 8:32pm

Hanan wrote:

> Your previous posts tells me that you are also unable to

> simultaneously read AND understand what you just read.

That must be the falt of the no ggood ejucation system we have here in Alberta.  You shouldnt mak fun uf me just because I didnt go to a islamic skool like yous did.

Sorrry, I hafta go now. "Celebrity Mud Wrestling" is on the television now, and I hate to misss it.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 November 2006 at 11:05pm

Animals can't be judged. However, its in the nature of pigs(and many other haraam animals) to snatch or grab its food, it's permitted for it but not for the humans.

Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 1:02am

If we are to bring all these medical or bad effects of pigs then we might else weel bring other animals into it to, Chicken and any other fowl that humans consume there is the threat of bird flu.

Any meat that is not prepared carefully or is not cooked properly or stored properly there is the potiential of illness.

I am not denying the medical reports at all. Even healthy foods can be harmful and is consuming too much water.

Originally posted by Hanan Hanan wrote:

"You are what you eat" is a native American proverb, but I don�t think it should be taken literally.

I agree with you here, I do not take it literally either.

Quote Folklore says that eating the meat of the pig contributes to lack of morality and shame, plus greed for wealth, laziness, indulgence, dirtiness and gluttony. A person who shows these characteristics is often called a �Pig.�

I believe this is not meant to be taken literally, because in real life its false. I'm quite sure that there are some vegetarians who act the same as well as those who don't eat pork.

Quote It is said that pigs do not like to soil their sleeping quarters. As for their tendency to wallow in mud, that is done mainly to keep cool.

that's true including that they are one of the smartest animals. it is quite know that pigs are a clean animal.

Quote in Koran it says:

"He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than Allah has been invoked. But if one is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

is this the only verse? (i'm not well versed in the qu'ran)

-------------

Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 3:07am
Quote:
in Koran it says:

"He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than Allah has been invoked. But if one is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

That verse says that Muslims are allowed to eat pork if there is no other food around.

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 9:57am

Best to stay away from a lot of meat these days. Most have a lot of meat by-products and other stuff in them. 

I gave up pork long before becoming a Moslem. It is terribly fatty and generally not very healthy for you. Best to grab a banana and eat a fresh spinich salad.

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 12:46am

Even if there was nothing else to eat, i still would not want to eat swine...

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 2:51am

Even if there was nothing else to eat, i still would not want to eat swine...

It is God himself that says "if you are forced by necessity". Apparently you do not realise what necessity is, and you would disobey God by endangering your life.

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 2:59am

Maybe you should borrow my reading glasses...

I said wount not want to eat, not will not eat...

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 8:40am
Can you guys move onto beef, please? One billion Hindus don't touch it.

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 9:26pm

Wrong...

I once knew a hindu family that used to eat beaf....

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 9:31pm

Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

Can you guys move onto beef, please? One billion Hindus don't touch it.

well there is mad cows disease

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 9:35pm

Wrong...

I once knew a hindu family that used to eat beaf....

I guess they liked their beef curry

by the way its beef not beaf

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2006 at 10:54pm

-------------
Y Simjee

Posted By: proof
Date Posted: 25 November 2006 at 10:38am

This thread is amazing... lol

when you eat pork you act like them,... If you are smart enough , there is no point discussing lol. This is so hilarious, I should send this to all my friends.  

pork MAY be dangerous for your health ( eating too much, not well cooked, infected meat,...hmmm like other animals)Are you saying that pork is more likey to be infected? i don't know. So is chicken more likely to be infected than beef? So what are the criteria to decide which one should not be eaten?

Vegetarians will tell you that all animal meat is potentially dangerous( bird flu, mad cow,...) . You still like chicken, so do I.

Hey guys, a lot of people eat pork; chinese's favourite dish, I believe they are still alive.

Everything that you consume must be hygienic( and proper checking by health authorities) If it's all good, then eat my friend.

And one more thing, everything should be consume in moderation. ( also don't eat the fat, it is bad for health) 

Too much iron, calcium, sugar, fat...is not good.

Some guys said taht they don't eat pork simply because it is written in their books.We understand religious reasons.

But others are just telling good jokes, haha.

Posted By: lalala
Date Posted: 28 November 2006 at 6:55pm
because it's forbiddence is mentioned clearly in the Quran. if one is a muslim, one submits to the revelation. others, well.. why do they wanna care anyway? simple as that.

Date Posted: 29 November 2006 at 8:43am

Maybe you should borrow my reading glasses...

I said wount not want to eat, not will not eat...

Sorry Ysimjee!

Posted By: hat2010
Date Posted: 03 December 2006 at 5:53am
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tp/185b18 - Why Pork is
forbidden in Islam (maybe)

Date Posted: 04 December 2006 at 5:47pm

what's with the "maybe" in the title  an another suggestion ?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2006 at 11:02am
Bacon Lovers:
HEADLINE:Dec. 21
Congress Closes with a Pork-filled Flourish
Whether you skin an Elephant or a Donkey, you get PORK

-------------

Posted By: tsdin1989
Date Posted: 09 September 2008 at 10:01am
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=54020&FID=10 - candid
Senior%20Member

Online Status: Offline
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/new_reply_form.asp?M=Q&PID=68790&PN=8&TR=76">Quote candid   http://www.islamicity.com/forum/new_reply_form.asp?PID=68790&PN=8&TR=76">Reply http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7550&PID=68790#68790">bullet Posted: 10 November 2006 at 1:02am

Then why are the fishes allowed? They too don't hava a 'neck'.

I think pig is not allowed because it gather its food by pouncing/swooping on its prey. It, sort of, snatches its food.

so..... chicken never snatch food from other chicken?? and fish never fight to get food?? pigs nowadays do not have preys. their only prey is the food that is serve right in front of them. I definitely would like to see pigs that pounce on others

Date Posted: 09 September 2008 at 10:08am
duh.... we're in the 21st century, people are more and more educated. surely people would why this and that....

Date Posted: 09 September 2008 at 10:19am

i'm new here.... I'm a budhist chinese, and well, i don't eat beef. I was told by my mom that since I was a baby, cow fed me with its milk. That is why i don't eat them. its kind of like a family culture. so, even if you ask a musllim why they don't eat pork, its the same reason. because they are taught so. most of my malays friend (muslim) does not wear like a muslim suppose to be according to 'them'. the only thing they do according to the rules is, they never eat pork.

muslim have their logic on why they do not eat pork... but why can't they touch them??

just curious.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net