Print Page | Close Window

What is Love?

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Men (Brothers)
Forum Description: Groups : Men (Brothers)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6702
Printed Date: 27 April 2024 at 5:15am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What is Love?
Posted By: Israfil
Subject: What is Love?
Date Posted: 07 September 2006 at 2:28pm

One of the things I remembered during college studying in part of aesthetic philosophy was 'love.' The Professor asked us what is it? Of course everyone in the class answered with ideas of course a couple answers were: "Love is compassion" or "Love is respect" I even heard the scientific view that "Love is the extreme emotion of desire." Whatever love is it appears that we all as individuals define it throughout our lives whether its with our loved one or with our spouses. I have personally myself experienced love as both giver and receiver however the latter was only a deception by the other individuals part. A sister in the women's section brought up the question: What is better, love or arranged marriage?

I heard a variety of answers and of course to another forum members convenience, she rearranges the question. However to answer such a question for face value which is more important? Of course as a philosopher I can answer it but as a man who has experienced both I can safely, and personally say that such a question depends on the individual. There is no straight forward answer. I as a Westerner abhore arrange marriages. I think this tradition does not teach personal choice and it is used to please others yet it is so fostered in tradition that children being arranged in marriages are in the sense forced to accept this reality.

If I were to weigh which of the two is more 'free' I'd say love. Love although in itself can mislead the individual provides a personal choice through the individual's desire whereas to be arranged to someone not by personal choice you have to adapt as well as "learn to love." Now I understand some women of various cultures don't like an outsiders point of view to this particular tradition that is why I say it here but I'm sure I haven't escaped from the wrath of others. I frankly believe that whether love or to be arranged to love is defined by people. It can be personally right or wrong and too much of one can be bad as well as too little.

Love if not sustained, can mislead us and allow us to overlook personal qualities that may be damaging in the future. However love can also allow us to fully expressed ourselves openly whereas before we would be so reluctant to do such. Love cannot be defined by an one person or any group and although it may be defined scientifically the true answers are always allusive because it changes from person to person. What say you O' Muslims?

Replies:
Posted By: candid
Date Posted: 08 September 2006 at 12:13am

your life is not a movie. I suggest living simple.

whenever people talk of love, why is it always that they only talk about romantic love? Love can be between siblings, children and parents, too.

Date Posted: 08 September 2006 at 12:22am
Considering the content of the first post, the the topic should be "What is romantic love?"

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 08 September 2006 at 4:49am
Originally posted by candid candid wrote:

whenever people talk of love, why is it always that they only talk about romantic love? Love can be between siblings, children and parents, too.

I agree with you Candid.

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Posted By: IslamicGirl
Date Posted: 08 September 2006 at 7:07am

My first & last TRUE LOVE is for My Lord ALONE, my creater: Allah (SWT).

Amen.

-------------
*Islamic Girl*

Posted By: righteous_4ever
Date Posted: 08 September 2006 at 2:15pm

Asalam o Alaikum

Here is the Webster dicitonary meaning of "love"

1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates> b : an assurance of love <give her my love>2 : warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <love of the sea>
3 a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration <baseball was his first love> b (1) : a beloved person : http://webster.com/dictionary/darling - DARLING -- often used as a term of endearment (2) British -- used as an informal term of address4 a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others b : a person's adoration of God
5 : a god or personification of love
6 : an amorous episode : http://webster.com/dictionary/love+affair - LOVE AFFAIR
7 : the sexual embrace : http://webster.com/dictionary/copulation - COPULATION
8 : a score of zero (as in tennis)
9 capitalized, Christian Science : http://webster.com/dictionary/god - GOD
- at love : holding one's opponent scoreless in tennis
- in love : inspired by affection

Hope that helps!

-------------
Hadia

Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 08 September 2006 at 3:10pm

Famous Quotes on Love, My favorite is in Red.

"The greatest science in the world; in heaven and on earth; is love."
Mother Teresa

"And think not you can guide the course of love. For love, if it finds you worthy, shall guide your course."
Kahil Gibran

"He who love touches walks not in darkness."
Plato

"We are shaped and fashioned by what we love."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world. "
Wayne Dyer

"Love is a given, hatred is acquired."
Doug Horton

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
The Bible-I Corinthians 13:4-8

"We need not think alike to love alike."
Francis David

"When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace."
The Dalai Lama

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it."
Rumi

"Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting."
William Shakespeare

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Jesus Christ

Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 08 September 2006 at 3:22pm

I was looking for the Virtue of Love when I found this text on the OCA Website. (Orthodox Church of America)  I really liked the breakdown.

Originally posted by OCA OCA wrote:

The first definition of love as agape is love as the action of perfect goodness for the sake of the other. This is the most basic meaning of love: to do everything possible for the well-being of others. God Himself has this love as the very content of His being and life, for "God is agape." It is with this love that spiritual per- sons must love first of all.

The second definition of love as eros is love for the sake of union with the other. Erotic love is no sin when it is free from sinful passions. It can be the utterly pure desire for communion with the other, including God. All spiritual writers have insisted that such love should exist between God and man as the pattern for all erotic love in the world between husband and wife. (See http://www.oca.org/OCchapter.asp?SID=2&ID=201 - Sexuality , http://www.oca.org/OCchapter.asp?SID=2&ID=202 - Marriage , and http://www.oca.org/OCchapter.asp?SID=2&ID=203 - Family ) Thus the mystical writers and spiritual fathers have used the Old Testament's Song of Songs as the poetic image of God's love for man and man's love for God. (Philo the Jew, Gregory of Nyssa, Bernard of Clairvaux, John of the Cross, Richard Rolle in England, et al.) Indeed the prophets have used the image of erotic love in explaining the Lord's relation with Israel. (Isaiah 54; Jeremiah 2-3,31; Ezekiel 16; Hosea) And Saint Paul uses this image for Christ's love of the Church. (Ephesians 6) In the scriptures, the union of man with the Lord in the Kingdom of God is primarily revealed in the image of eros. (Matthew 22, Revelation 19-22)

...for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His Bride has made herself ready; it was granted to her to be clothed with fine linen, bright and pure - for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. (Revelation 19:7-8)

"Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb." (Revelation 21:9)

The third type of love is friendship - phila. This also should exist between man and God. Man has no greater friend than God, and God Himself wants to be man's friend. According to the scriptures, the very purpose of the coming of Christ was to dispel all enmity between God and man, and to establish the co-working of Creator and creature in the fellowship of friendship.

Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. (Exodus 33:11)

Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants (or slaves), for the servant does not know what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father, I have made known to you. (John 15: 13-15)

So it is that love as goodness, love as union, love as friendship are all to be found in God and man, between God and man, and between human beings. There is no form of true love which lays outside the realm of the spiritual life.

Date Posted: 11 September 2006 at 4:57pm
There are a variety of opinions here, but I've come up with my own
theory. I believe that "love" is both cumulative and accumulated through a
series of emotions. Love can be seen as cumulative because when we
meet someone we "develop" feelings for them. With success, our
compatibility will lead our thoughts to develop a positive image of the
person. Along with this comes the variety of emotions we develop such as
affection, sensitivity, trust, loyalty. Of course with luck (and God's help)
these emotions over time sustain themselves which leads me to the
sustained, or accumulated emotions. Over time, our emotions are
solidified and amplified. Of course the prior does not explain how we
show how we "truly" love someone but usually the measurement of our
love is our behavior towards the person whom is being loved.

The fact that we show a behavior "not typical" of a friend which reflects
more affection, and passion is usually our gauge for "love" of the person.
I choose not to include loyalty because loyalty cannot be measured in
degrees. It's black and white. You are either loyal or not. The same can be
said for trust as well, you either trust the person or you don't. Of course
one can make the argument of wariness of trust, but when it comes to
love trust is absolute and even if one is wary of the person this is part of
the cumulative process of love. We cannot semi trust someone and say we
love them. We either trust them or not.

I can take love as how my friends take it. "Love is like biter beer, you have
to have an acquired taste to enjoy it."

For those who hold love as undefinable the theory still holds since we
define our love for someone as part of our emotion it is still categorized
in this theory. Love in it of itself is not abstract from ourselves it is apart
of our emotions. In essence it is what we've developed.

Date Posted: 11 September 2006 at 5:03pm
My above theory doesn't contradict my earlier post since "love" is a choice
that we make when partaking in our marital relationships. Our even before
marriage it is something that we choose to develop.

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 12 September 2006 at 2:48am

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

My above theory doesn't contradict my earlier post since "love" is a choice
that we make when partaking in our marital relationships. Our even before
marriage it is something that we choose to develop.

What happens with the saying "can't help feeling the way we/I do"

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 12 September 2006 at 4:24pm
Can't help feeling the way you/we do about what? Love?

If that is the case then that feeling would be nothing more than just an
overwhelming effactuation of someone. Such as the case "love at first
sight." I'm sure in some rare cases individuals do see something in
somone and say "I'm in love." However, what we define as true love is the
quantitative truth within our "accumulated" feelings. Our longevity within
a relationship is also another maxim of this. If I see a stranger and I
introduce myself and we click and we find within each something we are
fond about this is the start of cumulative feelings, but this should not be
mistaken for love as some people do. Even if I were to say I "love" this
person we must test ourselves when saying this. I don't think no person
can find true love in a perfect stranger even when striking a conversation.
Even in the rare case where it does happen you cannot know if that is true
love because like most (if not all relationships) there is no determination
that shows whether we will be with this person forever.

Posted By: rookaiya
Date Posted: 05 January 2007 at 4:02am

does true love mean u have to be with the person forever, is it not possible to experience love that is true for only a brief time. what does true love have to do with the amount of time u spend with the person.

two people can live unhappily together for years making each other miserable, as opposed to 2 others who share a brief encounter. will the former be true love cos of the duration of time spent togther. i dont agree with that line of thinking.

Date Posted: 06 January 2007 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by rookaiya rookaiya wrote:

does true love mean u have to be with the person forever, is it not possible to experience love that is true for only a brief time. what does true love have to do with the amount of time u spend with the person.

two people can live unhappily together for years making each other miserable, as opposed to 2 others who share a brief encounter. will the former be true love cos of the duration of time spent togther. i dont agree with that line of thinking.

First of all, I distinguish between love and 'romance'. Love is durable and commital. It is a responsibility(and its not just between romantic 'lovers' (if at all), it can be between siblings, parents and children or between friends).

Romance is fleeting and delusionary. Romance might mean challenging the world but it does not mean struggling against hardships.

Posted By: Patty
Date Posted: 30 January 2007 at 4:54pm

There are many kinds of love.  What I am describing is romantic or emotional "love", which becomes something much more.  I believe many times we confuse "love" with infatuation.  Infatuation is that "oh my gosh, I've got to marry him/her or I'll just absolutely die" type of feeling.  After a period of time it dies down.  Even if we do marry this person we "just can't live without", we lose that immense passion we felt in the beginning of the relationship....and we're supposed to.  What happens is we enter into a much deeper emotion....the real, true, and everlasting feeling we have named "love".  We develope great respect and admiration for that person.  Putting their feelings above our own many times.  As time goes by in the land of true love, usually after we have been married for some time, we find great peace and happiness just being with that person, because now we have "bonded" and we are very much connected emotionally to one another.  This is how it is meant to be......and it's wonderful.  It's not now all about s-x....it's much deeper than that.  Once you really find it, you don't have to ask.....you know.

Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Peace and Joy to All.

-------------
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.

Posted By: .:: SoHaIB ::.
Date Posted: 24 March 2007 at 8:53am

Have only loved three things iin my life

AllAH ( SWT)

Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH)

My good Ol'Gramps ( HEs THE BEST!! )

Not really into romance and all that mushy stuff

-------------

Posted By: .:: SoHaIB ::.
Date Posted: 24 March 2007 at 1:31pm

Although they do say that

True love is desiring happiness for the person you love, even if you are not a part of that happiness.

-------------

Posted By: Megatron
Date Posted: 11 April 2007 at 10:52pm

Love is just Nature/God's way to make sure that people reproduce with one another or in the case of children, it's a way to protect your progeny.  It's completely artificial and fake.

For those who say they 'love' God, I say do you really , 'love' God or do you 'love' the idea that an all powerful deity will provide you with paradise and spare you from Hell.

Human's are selfish both from a biological and spiritual perspective.  Love isn't real.   

Posted By: rookaiya
Date Posted: 11 April 2007 at 10:58pm
megatron i couldnt agree more. there is no such thing as love. its an idea that is conjured up in ones head. but its lack clear definition and has enslaved many people in the past. so much has been said about love, yet love is something that just makes no sense at all. love is blind, love hopes all things and belives all things...these are all meaningless words. bottom line is that love doesnt pay the bills, nor does love keep u company in the middle of the night. how many people claim to love you, yet their actions are contrary to their claims. love is just an over rated concept, which i steer clear of.

-------------
"so surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surah 94. verses 5 and 6

Posted By: shoe ba
Date Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:38am

I really want to reply here, but I am not sure what to say...but here goes!

Love is undefinable, as you say, and doesn't have much to do with certain major details of living like paying bills.  But it kind of does too.  Why would you commit to solving major problems, like paying for things, if you didn't love the person you were doing this for?  Both partners, when they love each other, show it by doing things for one another and asking each others opinions about household matters and thinking of the other person when shopping or arranging furniture.  It all sounds so silly, but these are the actions of love.

-------------
Insert funny comment here

Date Posted: 12 June 2007 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Megatron Megatron wrote:

Love is just Nature/God's way to make sure that people reproduce with one another or in the case of children, it's a way to protect your progeny.  It's completely artificial and fake.

For those who say they 'love' God, I say do you really , 'love' God or do you 'love' the idea that an all powerful deity will provide you with paradise and spare you from Hell.

Human's are selfish both from a biological and spiritual perspective.  Love isn't real.   

I disagree..You shouldn't get procreation confused with love. One is instinctual and the other made with emotion (mainly in the Amygdala).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net