URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5377
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 5:15am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What is true patriotism?
Posted By: peacemaker
Subject: What is true patriotism?
Date Posted: 17 June 2006 at 11:59am

Assalamu Alaikum! 

As Muslims we must abide by the laws of the land. Patriotism is not prohibited in Islam. In fact, you are encouraged to dedicate your life to serve your nation and its citizens whether or not the country you live in is a Muslim country. But, patriotism too has its limits. Blind patriotism, for example, is not allowed in Islam. Blind patriotism here means that you keep supporting your country at all costs with no consideration whatsoever of right or wrong. A true Muslim citizen loves his country and fellow citizens and residents, and at the same time, whenever he sees that any injustice is being committed, he raises the voice. Not speaking against injustice is not the part of true patriotism according to dictates of Islam.

What do you think?

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Replies:
Posted By: Muslima
Date Posted: 17 June 2006 at 1:38pm

I do agree completely. If you criticize your country, this is to improve it. in France for example, they are quite patriotic and they always do protests.

At the same time being a French Algerian, I think in some societies, this is difficult to be patriotic if we as Muslims are not considered or being allowed to take part in the political and economical activities of the society. This explains the riots in France not so long ago.

Personally, although I was born in Francee, if there was a war there tomorrow, I would not consider that I have been attacked. Although I have been only a few times in Algeria, I consider it as my land.

Also, this is easier to feel this way for immigrants in Francee as we know from which national country we come from. But in the US, Black people are just afro-americans so they still feel americans I think. In France we felt close to them during Katrina as in France, it would have been us Muslims and Arabs and Africans in their situations.

Posted By: Mishmish
Date Posted: 17 June 2006 at 2:46pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

I think America is unique in that anyone who comes here from another country can become an American.

I think this is not true of most societies.

I do love my country. I do not always love the policies of my country, and I am very vocal about that...  But America is my home.

I always become angry when people say: If you don't like America, leave. America was built on people not liking the status quo and working to change it. If everyone left who did not like America, it wouldn't even be an independent country now, but still colonies under British rule.

I think that speaking out against injustice is not just the mandate of Muslims but of all people of conscience. Fortunately we can still do so in America. Although I do see this freedom and others like it being threatened in a very real way by the current administration. Insha'Allah this to shall pass...

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Date Posted: 17 June 2006 at 3:01pm

I do agree with you Mishmish.

I have a real problem with the US but I am sure that when the majority is like you Mishmish, we will be celebrating your country.

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 17 June 2006 at 4:54pm

Assalamu Alaikum!

Sister Mishmish: "I think that speaking out against injustice is not just the mandate of Muslims but of all people of conscience."

Jazak Allah Khair. I will move this thread to General Discussion.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Posted By: fatima
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:14am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

i think patriotism is not solely for the boudries of a country, its for religion, a ruler and country among many other things, i think first and foremost is your religion, your religion tells you to be patriotic to your country and ruler,

I love living in england bcos no one ever stopped me from practising my religion, i am a law abiding citizen, i don't like whats police is doing to many muslims at this point but i do agree that muslims should try to stop their kids from going to extreme and think its good killing innocent people. now fighting for sake of your country thats a tricky bit bcos i don't think i can support england in killing thousands of muslims, same goes to another country of mine which is pakistan, i hate what musharraf did, he used muslims troops to kill muslims and a very clear hadith states hell as resort for people who die fighting against fellow muslims,

wassalam

-------------
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 6:47am
Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum! 

As Muslims we must abide by the laws of the land. Patriotism is not prohibited in Islam. In fact, you are encouraged to dedicate your life to serve your nation and its citizens whether or not the country you live in is a Muslim country. But, patriotism too has its limits. Blind patriotism, for example, is not allowed in Islam. Blind patriotism here means that you keep supporting your country at all costs with no consideration whatsoever of right or wrong. A true Muslim citizen loves his country and fellow citizens and residents, and at the same time, whenever he sees that any injustice is being committed, he raises the voice. Not speaking against injustice is not the part of true patriotism according to dictates of Islam.

What do you think?

Peace

Bismillah,

Why are we patriotic?  Because of love and loyalty to family, friends, and neighbors?  We want to do the best for them.  Does that mean that we should do anything we can so that they can lead a peaceful life, or does it mean that we should help them to live righteous lives?  A life dedicated to our Loving Lord, the All-Powerful Allah is a righteous life. 

Should we support the rules and mechanisms of a country because "we found our forefathers doing that", or should we correct the errors and shout out the injustices?  I think we should think very long and hard for ourselves on this topic. 

Going with the flow is so much easier:  The flow of a country's ways, the flow of the "religious" people in charge.  First off, we are obligated to think things through so that we won't be following the errors of our parents blindly, as the Holy Quran instructs us to avoid such an error.

Peace

Oh, thinking is allowed.  Let's not stop thinking.  Ideas vitalize us.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: Patty
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:13am

Beautiful post, herjihad!

God's Peace!

-------------
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.

Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 10:23am

Nice responses but the problem here is when we talk about Patirotism we begin divulge into policy discussion-even if its just briefly. America is not made up of just policies it was actually created off ideals. That is why I am glad we have "The Declearation of Independence" unlike most countries we acknowledge that God has given all humans unalienables rights to the simple abstract truths of our existence. This is something I'm sure most humans wouldn't get in a majority Muslim dominated country. I love being American and I believe that a true patriot is not just someone who pickets and just speaks out against America or any country for that matter, but someone who believes in the ideals of that society and does whatever he/she can to change that society. The greatest patriot is someone who does not someone who sits and dreams.

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 10:50am
Assalaamualaikum

I agree with Fatima, I am loyal to my country but religion comes first.

Remembered a hadith: from Muslim:

It has been narrated on the authority of Umm Salama that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: In the near future there will be amirs and you will like their good deeds and dislike their bad deeds. One who sees through their bad deeds (and tries to prevent their repetition by his band or through his speech), is absolved from blame, but one who hates their bad deeds (in the heart of his heart, being unable to prevent their recurrence by his hand or his tongue), is (also) safe ( so far as God's wrath is concerned). But one who approves of their bad deeds and imitates them is spiritually ruined. People asked (the Holy Prophet): Shouldn't we fight against them? He replied: No, as long as they say their prayers.  (Book http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=020&translator=2&start=0&number=4569 - #020 , Hadith http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=020&translator=2&start=0&number=4569#4569 - #4569 )

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Posted By: Islam knowledge
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 3:11pm

I agree, Allah always comes first.

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 3:38pm

I agree with Fatima as well.

fatima, did you see recently the way they came into a house and arrested 2 brothers who were completely innocent?

They also hurt another family living next door. Without any explanation, the police came in and hurt them...

I think Allah is always First!

Posted By: salman_s
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Muslima Muslima wrote:

you don't have 2 think sister

Allah is The First and The Last

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by salman_s salman_s wrote:

you don't have 2 think sister

Allah is The First and�The Last

And how this help this discussion?

Muslima has aready said what you are posting.

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:07pm
When I read salman's post, I know it has to be followed by ak_m_f's post.....

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).

Posted By: Mishmish
Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:12pm

I think they are twins. Good and evil twins. Who just haven't worked out which is which yet.

I will move this post to conspiracy theories if anyone wants to give input, or knows the truth...

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:22pm

Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

When I read salman's post, I know it has to be followed by ak_m_f's post.....

yes....even i knew it...i was waiting 4 that 2 happen that ak_m_f would follow me and reply.....and it happened...

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:32pm

When I read <SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">salman</SPAN>'s post, I know it has to be followed by <SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" ="bold"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">ak_m_f</SPAN>'s post.....</SPAN>

yes....even i knew it...i was waiting 4 that 2 happen that ak_m_f�would follow me and reply.....and it happened...

Its the duty of Ak's and colin's Ltd. to correct our little brother salman on the forum, we want him to be happy in his ignorance.

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

When I read <SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">salman</SPAN>'s post, I know it has to be followed by <SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" ="bold"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">ak_m_f</SPAN>'s post.....</SPAN>

yes....even i knew it...i was waiting 4 that 2 happen that ak_m_f would follow me and reply.....and it happened...

Its the duty of Ak's and colin's Ltd. to correct our little brother salman on the forum, we want him to love America.

ur reply 2 my post 2 muslima about patriotism had nothing 2 do with america.....u r hiding something ak....tell me r u my twin brother who got lost in canada....tell me....come on !....y u follow me everywhere.....tell me if u r my twin brother....

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

I think they are twins. Good and evil twins. Who just haven't worked out which is which yet.

I will move this post to conspiracy theories if anyone wants to give input, or knows the truth...

Saying that I am Salman's twin will make me 12 yeard old (according to Salman's age).

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:46pm
Both of you... please! discuss this in the thread dedicated to you!!

Let's stick to the topic here.
Jazakallahkhair.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:50pm

Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Saying that I am Salman's twin will make me 12 yeard old (according to Salman's age).

saying that i am ak_m_f's twin will make me 9 years old (according to ak_m_f's age)

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:52pm

saying that i am ak_m_f's twin will make me�9 years old (according to ak_m_f's age)

see...even 9 year olds knows that terrorist dont go to heaven...unlike some ppl....

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:54pm

Both of you... please! discuss this in the thread dedicated to you!! Let's stick to the topic here. Jazakallahkhair.

I want to see slaman in his natural habitat, you cant just cage him in a thread.

I am aslo publishing a paper on Salman, its called:

"The analysis of primitive thinking"

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:55pm

Both of you... please! discuss this in the thread dedicated to you!!

Let's stick to the topic here.
Jazakallahkhair.

9 year olds follow instructions....

-------------

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:56pm

Both of you... please! discuss this in the thread dedicated to you!! Let's stick to the topic here. Jazakallahkhair.
9 year olds follow instructions....

you broke your own rule by openin the flame war topic....

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:59pm
Biiiiiiiig mistake! Regret it!!

Now back to the topic please.........

-------------

Date Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:59pm

come in conspiracy theories ak_m_f.....and i will take care of u there....come fast.....i think u r my twin brother.....i want 2 teach u lot of things...

Date Posted: 19 June 2006 at 12:07am

Biiiiiiiig mistake! Regret it!! Now back to the topic please.........

u can say sorry by deleting it

Date Posted: 19 June 2006 at 12:11am

Biiiiiiiig mistake! Regret it!! Now back to the topic please.........

u can say sorry by deleting it

no need 2 do so sister amah, ak_m_f is saying so becuz i think he wants 2 hide something from me.....   

ak_m_f u r hiding something.....come on ! tell me.....y u follow me everywhere.....r u my twin brother.....come fast in conspiracy theories......i m waiting 4 u.....lets clear it there....

Date Posted: 19 June 2006 at 12:23am

TO BROTHER SALMAN!

Please brother Slaman, do not deforme what I have said.

When I say I think , this is what I think , this is my thought, my belief. I did not mean I was not sure about it! I know English is not my first language but I do not think this is that bad that you would think I am hesitating about something every Muslims believes in: that Allah is the First and Last.

I am not very happy about this Salman....

Date Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:36am

TO BROTHER SALMAN!

Please brother Slaman, do not deforme what I have said.

When I say I think , this is what I think , this is my thought, my belief. I did not mean I was not sure about it! I know English is not my first language but I do not think this is that bad that you would think I am hesitating about something every Muslims believes in: that Allah is the First and Last.

I am not very happy about this Salman....

to sister muslima -

even my first language is not english....so may b i misunderstood you...

Allah knows best about our iman

Allah is The All-Knower of the unseen and the seen

Allah is The All-Knower of all the things

may Allah guide us to the straight path.....aameen

Date Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:52am
Aameen!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net