Forum Description: It is devoted for Science & Technology
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4552
Printed Date: 19 March 2024 at 4:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Banana
Posted By: superme
Subject: Banana
Date Posted: 23 April 2006 at 3:55pm

I read this article early this month, and ever since then I eat a banana a day or at least half, otherwise I feel something is not right.

The banana growers have taken so much pain to sell their product and they deserve the appreciation for their work. The point in this article is - that bananas are good, not the producers. True salesmen and saleswomen sell their products, and they got me alright. Now is your turn to go banana.

Bananas.
Containing three natural sugars - sucrose,fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression:
According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS:
Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia:
High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of haemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure:
This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it the perfect to beat blood pressure.
So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power:
200 students at aTwickenham (Middlesex) school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation:
High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to
laxatives.

Hangovers:
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn:
Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness:
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites:
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves:
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work?
Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and crisps. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers:
The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control:
Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder:
(SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking:
Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress:
Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes:
According to research in "The New England Journal of Medicine, "eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts:
Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around.

So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

Replies:
Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 23 April 2006 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by superme superme wrote:

Containing three natural sugars - sucrose,fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

so thats why monkeys are hyper-active

Posted By: salman
Date Posted: 24 April 2006 at 12:24am

Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

Originally posted by superme superme wrote:

Containing three natural sugars - sucrose,fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

so thats why monkeys are hyper-active

-------------
It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 28 April 2006 at 3:41am

Assalamu Alaikum!

superme, very good post on banana Masha Allah. I really liked that banana had so much to contribute to one's health and overall development.

Just one sincere concern. As you see this section is "Islam and Science". Could you also quote some references from Qur'an and Hadith ( I mean Islamic sources ) to establish its relevance with Islam so that "Islam and Science" gets its purpose as far as banana is concerned.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Posted By: superme
Date Posted: 29 April 2006 at 5:08am

Alaikum salaam brother. I serched "banana" in the Qur'an using program and there is none in there. Sorry for that, maybe in the Khadith somewhere but I have no program for it.

Salam

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 29 April 2006 at 5:42am

Assalamu alaikum,

From Sahih Bukhari:

071:582 - Narrated by Abu Huraira: The Prophet said " There is no disease that Allah has created, except that He also has created its treatment."

071:586 - Narrated by 'Aisha: The Prophet used to like sweet edible things and honey."

And I don't know the chapter and verse, but does it not say in the Qur'an: "eat of the good things We have provided for you..."

The banana is one of those provisions from our Creator that is both sweet and delicious and has healing/preventative powers.  Subhannallah.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:42pm
Bananas are good except for some people with diabetes, a ripe banana raises bleed glucose levels as much as cane suger. Therefor not all foods are good for all people. Just as dates which are mentioned in the Quran raise blood glucose levels even higher than a banana,(higher than any other fruit) and dates are not a good choice for people with diabetes as they can send blood suger soaring. My friends mother was having extremely high blood suger while visiting her and she couldn't figure out why. I asked what is your mom eating? She said she is not eating sweets. In the meantime  her mom went in the kitchen and got 3 dates to go with her tea. I said dates are suger you know? She said but dates are the healthiest food. I said yes for active people in the desert with no diabetes they are. For an overweight woman in her 60's with diabetes they are not. I told her to test her blood suger after the three dates and it was soaring. So the point is not everything is good for everyone, including bananas.

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Posted By: Danty
Date Posted: 29 April 2006 at 7:49pm
Dear Supreme,
Nice banana benefits eh! Go banana go!

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said "Be kind, for whenever kindness becomes part of something, it beautifies it.Whenever it is taken from something, it leaves it tarnished." (IMAM BUKHARI)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net