Print Page | Close Window

derogatory remarks

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Islam for non-Muslims
Forum Description: Non-Muslims can ask questions about Islam, discussion for the purpose of learning.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4370
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 4:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: derogatory remarks
Posted By: ailsa
Subject: derogatory remarks
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:06pm
My daughter came home yesterday  from school and reported that her history teacher had referred to mulims as "towelheads"  I find that extremely offensive and her father and I promptly sent a letter to the school principal.  He seems to think its "not that bad"  I would like some advice on similar situations.  Maybe a muslim would be able to advise on the right course of action.  If you wouldn't make a stink about it...should I??

Thank you,
Shannon

Replies:
Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by ailsa ailsa wrote:

My daughter came home yesterday� from school and reported that her history teacher had referred to mulims as "towelheads"� I find that extremely offensive and her father and I promptly sent a letter to the school principal.� He seems to think its "not that bad"� I would like some advice on similar situations.� Maybe a muslim would be able to advise on the right course of action.� If you wouldn't make a stink about it...should I??Thank you,Shannon

where u live?

Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:17pm
i live in virginia, us

Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:30pm

Ailsa, I know a Muslimah in VA, I'm going to tell her about you and, God willing, she'll see this before I can call her or afterwards she'll contact you.

Posted By: Mishmish
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:34pm

Shannon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to come here and ask these questions.

It is wonderful that you found this offensive and actually sent a letter in protest. I am assuming that there are no Muslim childen at the school?

The Prophet Mohammed was very patient with those who were not Muslim, but Islam does not condone prejudice in any manner. As a person of conscience, I would not want my children or myself exposed to this type of stereotyping and name calling.

If the principal still seems to feel that what he said was fine, perhaps you could contact the school board and let them know that he might need some sensitivity training. If this doesn't work, you can report the incident to CAIR, the Council on American Islamic Relations http://www.cair-net.org/ - http://www.cair-net.org/      They are a group of American Muslims who work to change misconceptions about Muslims in America.

I know there are many Muslims in Virginia and it is very hurtful to be singled out in thios manner. Thank you for taking a stand.

Dwanna

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:38pm
can you sue em?

Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:40pm
We have let the principal know that if he chooses to do nothing about it, we would be going to the school board but I'm afraid that it would be more of the same.  We have asked that the teacher go through sensitivity training but the principal said that he couldn't discuss any corrective action because it would be an invasion of the teacher's privacy.

My children have been taught that racism/sexism/prejudice etc...in any form is wrong.  We don't use hateful words and we stand up against those who do.  This will be my second similar issue with this school.  The other remark was against the poor on welfare so not related to this but still offensive.

I do appreciate your help on this matter and I will take any and all advice that you will give.

Thank you,
Shannon

Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 4:53pm

Shannon:

Since you seem to be getting nowhere with the school and they seem more interested in protecting the teacher's privacy, above your right to have your child taught in a tolerant and inclusive environment, I would go ahead and contact CAIR and ask them to help you take action.

They will know what to do in this situation. They have an office in Herndon and an office in Bethesda,  but you can e-mail them from the website.

Dwanna

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Posted By: superme
Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 12:08am

As a teacher under pay roll he or she can't use this kind of terminology. The pupils are the children of the tax payers. The teachers duties are to teach, unless if the US rules and regulations are different than that outside worlds, than what can you do?

Posted By: salman
Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 4:41am

Originally posted by ailsa ailsa wrote:

My daughter came home yesterday  from school and reported that her history teacher had referred to mulims as "towelheads"  I find that extremely offensive and her father and I promptly sent a letter to the school principal.  He seems to think its "not that bad"  I would like some advice on similar situations.  Maybe a muslim would be able to advise on the right course of action.  If you wouldn't make a stink about it...should I??

Thank you,
Shannon

are you a muslim?

-------------
It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.

Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 4:43am
I am not a muslim but it was suggested to me that if a muslim wouldn't go as far as the school board or media perhaps myself, as a nonmuslim, shouldn't push as far.  I was totally shocked and disgusted at the level of insensitivity and my first instinct is not to let it stand.

So, that is why I'm here for advice.

Shannon

Posted By: salman
Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 4:45am
this is an offence to muslims. you are not a muslim. you being a non-muslim, if you are feeling bad that no action is being taken, the best thing to do is to give resignation letter to school principal.

-------------
It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.

Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 11:23am

Shannon:

It doesn't matter if you are a Muslim or not. Some of the posters on this forum are from majority Muslim countries where this type of thing would never occur, or where you just go into the school and complain and the teacher is reprimanded or fired. The system here is entirely different.

I think it is so important for all of us who find this offensive to say that we jsut won't allow it anymore. It is especially important for non-Muslims to speak out because when Mulsim do people feel we have a vested interest. When non-Muslims do it shows that this behavior is just wrong.

Many Muslim parents I know are personally going through this very same struggle. Most just end up pulling their children from the schools and home schooling bacause they are alone. You don't know how much you and people like you can help just by making the complaints and saying this is not how I want my child to believe.

Please contact CAIR and let them help you. You would be helping so many others in the process.

Thank you,

Dwanna

-------------

Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 12:01pm
Thank you Dwanna.  I did send an email to CAIR but haven't yet heard from them.  Hopefully soon though.

I spoke with the principal today and he has told me that the teacher's discipline is a private issue and he can't discuss it with me or even whether or not it will take place. 

I told him that the very least, she should have sensitivity training.  He wouldn't comment on that.  I also stated that some children thought that this slur was funny.  I also suggested to him that the children need some type of class or speaker to come to them and let them know that this is wrong and why its wrong.

I also said to him that had any teacher said the "n word" in reference to the Civil war and slavery, they would have been reprimanded and most likely suspended IMMEDIATELY.  Why is this any different??

He said that there were differing opinions on the context of the statement thought my daughter wrote it down word for word as soon as she said it.  I do understand that you can't go on the word of one child but there were others.  He stated he would speak with them when possible.

I found out from my daughter this afternoon that when he called the children to speak with them, rather than ask about the context, he asked if anyone was "out to get" the teacher or trying to "get her in trouble" with this.

I'm afraid that this means it won't be taken seriously.  They are out of school next week for a spring break but I said I wanted to hear results the following week.  If I don't have them I will have no choice but to go to the school board. 

My sister is an attorney and my brother is a journalist so I've had opinions from them on courses of action as well.

I do, again, thank you all for your help.

Shannon

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 14 April 2006 at 9:55am

Well, this is clearly unproffesional of the staff at the school to generalize and use name calling for any group of people. They should be far more interested is their own education. But many people cannot take feedback/ criticism.

one thing that is useful is that they certainly won't like publicity.. Exposure is the worst thing. If they don't make progress it should be made public.  I live here in DC and would not mind writing a letter to the newspaper. You then CC the school board.. I tell you, in my activism work, it can have a profound effect.

The fact you are not Moslem, actually, sad to say, will actually be more powerful. You are standing up for an injustice that does not necessarily affect you or your children directly.

I think it is great.

Hayfa

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 15 April 2006 at 5:42am
perhaps you should name call him back  and if he doesn't like it, well you can say to him, touche  get my point now!  

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net