Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39369
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 3:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Helping Outsiders of Islam Understand You
Posted By: tdanielle0929
Subject: Helping Outsiders of Islam Understand You
Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:24am
Hello everyone! I am an outsider of the Islamic religion, and there is a lot that I would like to understand and learn about it. As a graduate counseling program student in the United States, I would like help understanding your worldview. If anyone willing could shed some light on ANY of the following questions for me I would be greatly, GREATLY appreciative. Be honest and feel free to say what is on your mind, but only answer those you feel comfortable answering.

1.) Do you currently reside in the U.S.? If so, how do you feel being part of a minority religion in this country?

2.) How has your religion and/or ethnicity played a role in your cultural identity? How do you see yourself in relation to other cultures/religions, for example, conservative Christian middle-class White culture?

3.) When you think of mainstream psychotherapy and counseling, what comes to mind...positive or negative associations? Why?

4.) What do you personally think of general outsiders who do not understand your religion or may misinterpret your beliefs with Islamophobia? If you could tell them something, what would you say?

5.) If you were to ever seek counseling, how would you feel in approaching your counselor who may have different views from your own?

Again, insight into ANY of these questions would help me greatly, as I am seeking to understand this for a multicultural class I am taking, and most importantly, I want to be able to best meet the needs of future clients who identify with the Islamic religion. Thank you!

Replies:
Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:40am
1. Yes, I live in America. Because I am able to freely and openly practice my faith, being a part of a minority religion isn't an issue. Furthermore, Islam is a continuation and perfection of the dominant religion in US. We are brothers in faith.

2. I completely identify myself as an American, however America, not unlike many other lands, is color conscious. Skin tone can impact opportunity and even safety to a lesser degree.

3. Total ambivalence. On the one hand, I think junk science, however I do appreciate the profound benifit a good counselor can have on a person's life.

4. I think that if I were in their shoes I'd likely be an Isamophobe as well. I believe once people personally know a Muslim family or co-worker their opinion of Islam and Muslims are more favorable. I would suggest they read "Muhammad: A Prophet For Our Time", by Karen Armstrong, or at least view her Ted Talk: "My wish: The Charter for Compassion".

5. Well given a choice I would select a counselor who shared my cultural and religious background. If I didn't have a choice I simply think it would take more secessions before we could make sustained progress.

I indeed wish you all the best, and welcome!

Date Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:58am
Abuayisha,

Thank you so much for your insightful reply. I am glad to hear that you feel you can openly practice your faith, that is what America is about. I really appreciate your honesty, and I definitely want to check out the book and Ted Talk. Very helpful to know!

Posted By: aka2x2
Date Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:42am
1.) Do you currently reside in the U.S.? If so, how do you feel being part of a minority religion in this country?
I do reside in the US, and I feel there is too much prejudice against Muslims.

2.) How has your religion and/or ethnicity played a role in your cultural identity? How do you see yourself in relation to other cultures/religions, for example, conservative Christian middle-class White culture?
I feel more and more excluded from daily life in the US. I feel I live in a hostile environment that does not want to change for the better.

3.) When you think of mainstream psychotherapy and counseling, what comes to mind...positive or negative associations? Why?
Positive. I have been to counseling and it has helped me through some tough times. However the therapist and the patient must click; not all counselors are created equal.

4.) What do you personally think of general outsiders who do not understand your religion or may misinterpret your beliefs with Islamophobia? If you could tell them something, what would you say?
I used to try and explain or educate... However, I have come to realize the issue is not lack of knowledge or lack of information; the issue is racism and prejudice... if I meet Islamophobia these days, I tell them to get lost...

5.) If you were to ever seek counseling, how would you feel in approaching your counselor who may have different views from your own?
If I am willing to talk, it is the counselors job to adjust to my views, not the other way around. If he/she does not or cannot, I go to someone who can...

-------------
Respectfully
aka2x2

Date Posted: 07 June 2017 at 8:51am
Thank you so much for your response aka2x2. I am sorry to hear of your experience with prejudice/racism, and it is a shame that people in our country treat people this way simply because of their own fears and evil. Hopefully some day there will be more understanding and love, and I admire you for standing for your own values despite the hostile environment surrounding you.

May I ask, since you are currently residing in the U.S., were you born here or did you come to live here later in life?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net