Forum Description: Famous Quotes
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24612
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 2:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: not famous, but good
Posted By: Caringheart
Subject: not famous, but good
Date Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:54pm

'It is said that the first casualty of war is truth, but that is not so, the first casualty of war is education' - from Foyle's War

It may not be a famous quote but it's a good one.

Replies:
Posted By: Lightsearch
Date Posted: 18 January 2013 at 8:04am
I'd want to know how education is the first casualty...it seems to me that truth is definitely among the first things to be hit, where as education might be among the last, greatly affected casualties, like for example the history of Soviet Occupation was followed by 50 years of very much distorted education about the course of the World War II. The inaccurate depiction of the past causes issues with virtue-formation for the upcoming generations...this would seem more plausible.

Date Posted: 18 January 2013 at 9:21pm
Greetings Lightsearch,

Your points are well taken.  I guess I was coming from the standpoint of having just watched the program.  I understood what it was saying.  When war takes over a country the first casualty is the ability for children to attend school and get their education, and thus when war goes on too long you then end up with generations of uneducated people, which is not a good thing.  It takes people backwards.

Would you agree with that?

Salaam,
Caringheart

Date Posted: 10 February 2013 at 9:58pm
"the righteous have no need for cunning"

"there is no man more dangerous than one who thinks he knows the will of God" 

-------------
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis

Posted By: nothing
Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 4:05pm
I read a book by an Indian muslim, and in his foreword he wrote:

"Once a man do lie he needs ten more lies to make the first lie sound like the truth".

Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by nothing nothing wrote:

I read a book by an Indian muslim, and in his foreword he wrote:

"Once a man do lie he needs ten more lies to make the first lie sound like the truth".

Yes, very good one.  So, so, true.
You also have to try and remember all those lies.
I must confess, I do not understand lying... how anyone ever thinks it serves any purpose.

-------------
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis

Date Posted: 23 February 2013 at 2:20pm
"Every bit of human life has a dark side."

"We quakers believe in seeking the light within.  The light is that of God.  Those called to serve act fearlessly according to the light, but it won't come to you, unless you open your eyes to the grief and pain all around you."

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 24 February 2013 at 11:21am
"Are you exempt from hearing the truth because it might be persuasive?"

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 16 March 2013 at 2:29pm
"set thy heart upon thy work, but never upon its reward"
- Hindu teaching

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 17 March 2013 at 12:48pm
"Many that live deserve death.  And some that die deserve life.  Can you give it to them?  Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.  For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Posted By: nothing
Date Posted: 25 March 2013 at 3:47pm
Do not want what is beyond your reach.
Do not want what is beyond your need

Invented by me (I think). Big%20smile

Posted By: nospam001
Date Posted: 25 March 2013 at 7:58pm
"It's never to late for a leopard to change horses in mid-stream."

- "CJ", CEO of 'Sunshine Desserts' in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin by David Nobbs.

Posted By: natgarrett
Date Posted: 30 March 2013 at 4:40am
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

-Albert Einstein

Date Posted: 07 April 2013 at 8:01pm

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path  Proverbs 1

Should be famous.

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 31 July 2013 at 8:32pm
�You are either my brother in faith, or my equal in humanity.� 

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 04 November 2014 at 7:41pm

"Men since the beginning of time have sought peace. Various methods through the ages have been attempted to devise an international process to prevent or settle disputes between nations. From the very start workable methods were found in so far as individual citizens were concerned, but the mechanics of an instrumentality of larger international scope have never been successful. Military alliances, balances of power, Leagues of Nations, all in turn failed, leaving the only path to be 'by way of the crucible of war. The utter destructiveness of war now blocks out, this alternative. We have had our last chance. If we will not devise some greater and more equitable system, Armageddon will be at our door. The problem basically is theological and involves a spiritual recrudescence and improvement of human character that will synchronize with our almost matchless advances in science, art, literature and all the material and cultural developments of the past 2000 years. It must be of the spirit if we are to save the flesh. "

� General MacCarthur �
Second Day of September, 1945, just following the surrender of the Japanese nation on the Battleship Missouri

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Posted By: Tim the plumber
Date Posted: 05 November 2014 at 8:52am
He that has no knowledge of history is likely to have some very old tricks played on him.

Me some years ago.

Date Posted: 14 November 2014 at 7:55pm
"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends." - LOTR, Tolkien

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 18 November 2014 at 1:51pm
Three things cannot be long hidden:  the sun, the moon and the truth
- the Buddha

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 12 December 2014 at 6:52pm
"We were supposed to have reached a stage of civilization in which it might still be necessary to execute a criminal, but not to gloat, or to hang his wife and child by him while the orc-crowd hooted. The destruction of Germany, be it 100 times merited, is one of the most appalling world-catastrophes. Well, well,�you and I can do nothing about it. And that [should] be a measure of the amount of guilt that can justly be assumed to attach to any member of a country who is not a member of its actual Government. Well the first War of the Machines seems to be drawing to its final inconclusive chapter�leaving, alas, everyone the poorer, many bereaved or maimed and millions dead, and only one thing triumphant: the Machines." - J.R.R. Tolkien

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 12 December 2014 at 7:06pm

Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation.

- Rabindranath Tagore -

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 12 December 2014 at 7:11pm

�The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.�

�An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.�

- Mahatma Ghandi

This one probably is famous.

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 02 January 2015 at 11:33pm
"Let no man pull you so low as to hate him." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 09 February 2015 at 10:54am
the book of Esther, chapter 10

And the king Ahasuerus laid a tribute upon the land, and upon the isles of the sea.

2 And all the acts of his power and of his might, and the declaration of the greatness of Mordecai, whereunto the king advanced him, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Media and Persia?

3 For Mordecai the Jew was next unto king Ahasuerus, and great among the Jews, and accepted of the multitude of his brethren, seeking the wealth of his people, and speaking peace to all his seed.

'and Mordecai being next to the king, spoke peace unto all his people'

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 11 February 2015 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by natgarrett natgarrett wrote:

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

-Albert Einstein

Some thoughts on this one:
came across this quote only few days ago. This is a truth staring into our faces, and I cannot help making a remark.

When we were younger, we had seen many radical muslims with all these staunch ideas, throwing takfeer at others and what not. Debates, arguments and disrespectful behavior.

Their speech was hurtful and their actions were likewise.

Many, the wise and elder amongst us advised forbearance and patience. They said its of no avail to argue with them. They should be left alone. I am sure those people could have never imagined this radicalism will take such an ugly face and go to such henious extreme.
They should have been stopped from corrupting the young minds.

Just some unorganized thoughts ...

CH, I do not intend to spoil your thread. Please excuse me.

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 11 February 2015 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

Originally posted by natgarrett natgarrett wrote:

-Albert Einstein

Some thoughts on this one:
came across this quote only few days ago. This is a truth staring into our faces, and I cannot help making a remark.

When we were younger, we had seen many radical muslims with all these staunch ideas, throwing takfeer at others and what not. Debates, arguments and disrespectful behavior.

Their speech was hurtful and their actions were likewise.

Many, the wise and elder amongst us advised forbearance and patience. They said its of no avail to argue with them. They should be left alone. I am sure those people could have never imagined this radicalism will take such an ugly face and go to such henious extreme.
They should have been stopped from corrupting the young minds.

Just some unorganized thoughts ...

CH, I do not intend to spoil your thread. Please excuse me.

hehehe Big%20smile - Greetings Nausheen,

You made me chuckle and smile.
You can not spoil my thread.  I love discussion and I love your thoughts.
If the thread goes off track, I know how to put it back... or start a new one.  Big%20smile

Your quote reminded me of this one:

Edmund Burke � 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'
I believe it was quite well known and used during the days of WWII... Hitler's time.

You are so correct.  It is necessary to speak and to guide people when we see that their actions and behavior are being influenced in the wrong way.   The devil will always use a little bit of the truth to deceive into doing his evil. It is so important to discern good from evil.

Peace and blessings to you,
CAringheart

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Posted By: Emettman
Date Posted: 12 February 2015 at 3:26pm
Adlai Stevenson
(The best president America never had)
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular."

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 14 February 2015 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

hehehe Big%20smileEdmund Burke � 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'</span>I believe it was quite well known and used during the days of WWII... Hitler's time.You are so correct.� It is necessary to speak and to guide people when we see that their actions and behavior are being influenced in the wrong way. � The devil will always use a little bit of the truth to deceive into doing his evil. It is so important to discern good from evil.Peace and blessings to you,CAringheart

Thank you Caringheart.

Here is my contribution to this beautiful thread.

�with a treasure in our bosom everyone of us wanders with a longing over the face of the earth, and often we do not even believe that it is possible to find such a pearl�even far, far away. Blessed is he who has discovered his own treasure.

�Everlasting Joy�, a brief homily by Fr Pavel Florensky

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 14 February 2015 at 9:35am
'The stigma attached to cowardice has caused terrible harm, most obviously to those who have been made to pay for the alleged �crime�. Less obvious, but more pervasive, is the damage done by people who, fearing the shame of cowardice, have acted in reckless, often violent ways. Remembering this should make us less ready to use the label of �coward�, especially in the case of someone refusing to use violence�� Chris Walsh

Date Posted: 16 February 2015 at 12:33pm

Then said the Lord, Doest thou well to be angry?

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 16 February 2015 at 12:34pm
Shukran, thank you, Nausheen and abuayisha, for your lovely contributions.  Smile

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 14 March 2015 at 7:55pm
2:263  A kind word with forgiveness is better than almsgiving followed by injury.

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 06 June 2015 at 12:50pm
http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/34498.html - Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom. - Chinese proverb

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 06 June 2015 at 12:56pm

The one who pursues revenge should dig two graves. - Chinese proverb

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 20 June 2015 at 10:59am

"You cannot make men good by law." -- C.S. Lewis

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Posted By: long123
Date Posted: 19 August 2015 at 10:38pm
It may not be a famous quote but it's a good one.

Posted By: Ryan Edwards
Date Posted: 14 September 2016 at 1:16am
We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not struggles, and you are here now with the power to shape your day and your future.
~ Dr. Steve Maraboli
I think this quotes is good for everyone.
Source: http://2quotes.net/ - Short meaningful quotes

Date Posted: 15 September 2016 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Ryan Edwards Ryan Edwards wrote:

We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not struggles, and you are here now with the power to shape your day and your future.
~ Dr. Steve Maraboli
I think this quotes is good for everyone.
Source: http://2quotes.net/ - Short meaningful quotes

Greetings Ryan, and welcome. Smile

-------------
Blessed be God forever

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net