Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24557
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 11:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Islamophobic Hate Crime
Posted By: abuayisha
Subject: Islamophobic Hate Crime
Date Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:27am
http://mondoweiss.net/2012/12/after-islamophobic-perspective.html - http://mondoweiss.net/2012/12/after-islamophobic-perspective.html

Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday urged residents to keep Sen's death in perspective as he touted new historic lows in the city's annual homicide and shooting totals.

"It's a very tragic case, but what we want to focus on today is the overall safety in New York," Bloomberg told reporters following a police academy graduation.

What kind of perspective is Bloomberg referencing? If someone said "I shoved a Jew in front of a train because I hate Jews," would Bloomberg be touting drops in the city's annual homicide and shooting totals? Quite an insensitive comment, at the very least.

Replies:
Posted By: TG12345
Date Posted: 30 December 2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

http://mondoweiss.net/2012/12/after-islamophobic-perspective.html - http://mondoweiss.net/2012/12/after-islamophobic-perspective.html

Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday urged residents to keep Sen's death in perspective as he touted new historic lows in the city's annual homicide and shooting totals.

"It's a very tragic case, but what we want to focus on today is the overall safety in New York," Bloomberg told reporters following a police academy graduation.

What kind of perspective is Bloomberg referencing? If someone said "I shoved a Jew in front of a train because I hate Jews," would Bloomberg be touting drops in the city's annual homicide and shooting totals? Quite an insensitive comment, at the very least.

That is disgusting and sickening!!!

Not only the murder, but his reaction! "Keep it in perspective"???

An innocent man was cruelly murdered, because he was assumed to be Muslim. You are right, if the victim had been Jewish or even a black man or gay man killed by supremacists, he wouldn't been talking like that.

This is hatred of Muslims, pure and simple. Both the murder and his words were wrong and unacceptable and worthy of condemnation.

May God open his eyes, and may He be with the mourning family of the innocent man who was murdered.

Posted By: schmikbob
Date Posted: 31 December 2012 at 10:05am
You are being ridiculous.  Michael Bloomberg doesn't hate Muslims.  Try not to be a reactionary just because the rest of the lemmings are doing it. 

Date Posted: 31 December 2012 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

You are being ridiculous.  Michael Bloomberg doesn't hate Muslims.  Try not to be a reactionary just because the rest of the lemmings are doing it. 

Again, I'm pretty sure that if the victim was Jewish or black or gay and he was killed for his identity he wouldn't ask that "people keep things in perspective".

I didn't hear that line coming out of the White House when one of their ambassadors was killed in Benghazi. After all, how many people die violently in that city on a daily basis? Can you imagine what would have happened if Obama advised the American people to "keep it in perspective"?

I don't get the whole 'lemming' and 'reactionary' terminology. Sounds like something that would come out of the Kremlin, like 2 decades ago. Big%20smile

Date Posted: 01 January 2013 at 12:45pm
Let me explain it.  Everyone likes to jump on board the condemnation and "He hates this or that" bandwagon in reaction to some 30 second sound bite by some politician.  The Mayor's job is, among other things, to reassure the public.  Perhaps that could have something to do with his comments.  For you to call his comments "wrong and unacceptable and worthy of comdemnation" is ridiculous and make you sound like one of the lemmings running for the cliff.  Does that clear things up?   

Date Posted: 01 January 2013 at 2:16pm

Let me explain it.  Everyone likes to jump on board the condemnation and "He hates this or that" bandwagon in reaction to some 30 second sound bite by some politician.  The Mayor's job is, among other things, to reassure the public.  Perhaps that could have something to do with his comments.  For you to call his comments "wrong and unacceptable and worthy of comdemnation" is ridiculous and make you sound like one of the lemmings running for the cliff.  Does that clear things up?   

If a person comments on a murder or some other tragedy by saying "keep things in perspective", regardless of who the victim or killer was, it is insensitive at the least. I don't believe he would have said the same thing if the victim belonged to some other categories of affiliation.

Date Posted: 01 January 2013 at 7:49pm

Bloomberg Rationalizes Random Killing. But I Knew Sunando Sen

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/12/29/bloomberg-rationalizes-random-killing-but-i-knew-sunando-sen - http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/12/29/bloomberg-rationalizes-random-killing-but-i-knew-sunando-sen

Date Posted: 02 January 2013 at 6:55pm
Once again, Bloomberg did not "rationalize a random killing".  That implies he tried to justify the killing which he absolutely did not do.  What he tried to do is reassure the public.  Insensitive is a far cry from " wrong and unacceptable and worthy of condemnation".  If muslims were being murdered every day in the US because of their beliefs then you might have some argument.  For now all you have is a hate crime that should be prosecuted as such.  Don't try to turn it into a national assault on Islam.

Posted By: aka2x2
Date Posted: 06 January 2013 at 10:48pm
"If muslims were being murdered every day in the US because of their beliefs then you might have some argument."

Wow... Now I get it... No wonder the government and the media have been so complacent about hate crimes against Muslims... They are waiting for the one murder a day thing... Brothers and sisters, please stop complaining about hate crimes... Mr. Lemming-head has decided it is not appropriate for us to discuss these matters... Errrrr... Wait a minute this a Muslim forum and Schmok-Bob is in our house... Sooooo... Why don't you show some respect to the most abused minority group in the US today or go play somewhere else...?

-------------
Respectfully
aka2x2

Posted By: Abu Loren
Date Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:55am
Originally posted by aka2x2 aka2x2 wrote:

"If muslims were being murdered every day in the US because of their beliefs then you might have some argument."

Wow... Now I get it... No wonder the government and the media have been so complacent about hate crimes against Muslims... They are waiting for the one murder a day thing... Brothers and sisters, please stop complaining about hate crimes... Mr. Lemming-head has decided it is not appropriate for us to discuss these matters... Errrrr... Wait a minute this a Muslim forum and Schmok-Bob is in our house... Sooooo... Why don't you show some respect to the most abused minority group in the US today or go play somewhere else...?

The thing is nobody takes him seriously........

Date Posted: 07 January 2013 at 7:11pm

Actually aka, what I wrote was "Bloomberg did not "rationalize a random killing".  I don't see anywhere where I wrote that you shouldn't discuss the killing.  Just try to tone down the absurd accusations.  Also, for some strange reason every minority group likes to believe it is the most abused minority group in the United States.  And by respect you mean I should agree with you, I think you need to look up the definition of the word.

Oh, and Abu Loren, boooring.

Posted By: nothing
Date Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:05pm

for some strange reason every minority group likes to believe it is the most abused minority group in the United States.

So who is the most abused minority in that world?

Date Posted: 08 January 2013 at 7:56am
I have no idea which of the multitude of minority groups in the most abused.  What's more important is I have no interest in which one is.  If everyone would stop identifying themselves as a victimized minority we would all be better off.  Lemmings like aka will twist this to mean I believe their are no victims.  When in reality I mean you are not a victim only because some other member of your self identified minority group happens to be one.

Posted By: Abu Loren
Date Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:22am
White Europeans were also a minority group once until they killed off all the locals, look at them now.......

Posted By: aka2x2
Date Posted: 08 January 2013 at 9:02am
Abu Loren
I can see why nobody takes him seriously... lol

-------------
Respectfully
aka2x2

Date Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:57pm
Well, seeing that is a discussion board, and schmikbob's comments, in my estimation, are thoughtful, insightful, and extremely well written, how can one not take him seriously? 

Posted By: Matt Browne
Date Posted: 16 January 2013 at 5:10am
I agree with Schmikbob. What happened is a terrible hate crime that should be prosecuted as such. We should not interpret it as a national assault on Islam.

I resent the use of the word 'islamophobic'. A phobia is a persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous. But the fear of political Islam and the Sharia is a very rational thing. The dangers are real. Non-Muslims believe in the equality of all human beings. We insist on the separation of religion from state and the observance of universal human rights.

When a hurricane approaches and the authorities ask people to evacuate this should be taken seriously. A devastating hurricane should be feared. Such fear is a good thing and not a phobia.

Any ideology that threatens freedom should be feared. Such fear is a good thing and not a phobia.

The vast majority of people are not afraid of Islam as a faith.

-------------
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net