Print Page | Close Window

Have all Christians received the Holy Spirit?

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Interfaith Dialogue
Forum Description: It is for Interfaith dialogue, where Muslims discuss with non-Muslims. We encourge that dialogue takes place in a cordial atmosphere on various topics including religious tolerance.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24240
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 3:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Have all Christians received the Holy Spirit?
Posted By: Mahdi The Seeke
Subject: Have all Christians received the Holy Spirit?
Date Posted: 07 November 2012 at 1:30am
I need to be educated about this.

Replies:
Posted By: Abu Loren
Date Posted: 07 November 2012 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Mahdi The Seeke Mahdi The Seeke wrote:

I need to be educated about this.

No only born again Christians, apparently.

Posted By: Placid
Date Posted: 12 November 2012 at 5:43am
Hi Mahdi,

--- Quote: I need to be educated about this.

Response: --- Here are references to Jesus having the Holy Spirit in Surah 2:
87 We gave Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of apostles; We gave Jesus the son of Mary Clear (Signs) and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit.

253 Those apostles We endowed with gifts, some above others: To one of them God spoke; others He raised to degrees (of honour); to Jesus the son of Mary We gave clear (Signs), and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit.

Receiving the Holy Spirit is a genuine experience that Jesus promised to give to His followers. --- We are taught to believe in God, to accept Jesus as our Savior and to follow Him as our role model, --- and to surrender our will to God, so that He can guide us through His Holy Spirit. --- If we are faithful we can receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit. --- But it is God who gives it, --- we don�t earn it by any merit of our own. --- We don�t become better or superior to others, but we become as �servants� to God, to do His will through doing His �Good works.�

However, many Christians believe God and accept Jesus as their Savior, --- but find it had to submit their will to God, --- so they are guided only to the extent that they are willing to go. --- They are Christians, they have obtained salvation by their faith, as the Scripture teaches, --- they may live by faith and do good works, --- but they are still influenced by the world and their own desires.

Then there are multitudes who call themselves Christians, who come from a Christian background and may have, or may not have, made any personal commitment to follow God. --- They might be called, �nominal� Christians.
Jesus said, �Not everyone who says to Me, �Lord, Lord� shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.� Matthew 7:21.

--- Then you have those who claim Christianity --- as not being Jews or Muslims.

So, you see, there are many differences, because people learn what they have been taught.
However, at any stage in life they may be touched, or drawn by God to make a decision to accept Jesus as Savior, and make a full surrender to God�s will, --- then they can �become� obedient Christians, --- and receive the Holy Spirit.

Placid

Posted By: Mahdi The Seeke
Date Posted: 12 November 2012 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Placid Placid wrote:

Hi Mahdi,

--- Quote: I need to be educated about this.

Response: --- Here are references to Jesus having the Holy Spirit in Surah 2:
87 We gave Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of apostles; We gave Jesus the son of Mary Clear (Signs) and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit.

253 Those apostles We endowed with gifts, some above others: To one of them God spoke; others He raised to degrees (of honour); to Jesus the son of Mary We gave clear (Signs), and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit.

Receiving the Holy Spirit is a genuine experience that Jesus promised to give to His followers. --- We are taught to believe in God, to accept Jesus as our Savior and to follow Him as our role model, --- and to surrender our will to God, so that He can guide us through His Holy Spirit. --- If we are faithful we can receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit. --- But it is God who gives it, --- we don�t earn it by any merit of our own. --- We don�t become better or superior to others, but we become as �servants� to God, to do His will through doing His �Good works.�

However, many Christians believe God and accept Jesus as their Savior, --- but find it had to submit their will to God, --- so they are guided only to the extent that they are willing to go. --- They are Christians, they have obtained salvation by their faith, as the Scripture teaches, --- they may live by faith and do good works, --- but they are still influenced by the world and their own desires.

Then there are multitudes who call themselves Christians, who come from a Christian background and may have, or may not have, made any personal commitment to follow God. --- They might be called, �nominal� Christians.
Jesus said, �Not everyone who says to Me, �Lord, Lord� shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.� Matthew 7:21.

--- Then you have those who claim Christianity --- as not being Jews or Muslims.

So, you see, there are many differences, because people learn what they have been taught.
However, at any stage in life they may be touched, or drawn by God to make a decision to accept Jesus as Savior, and make a full surrender to God�s will, --- then they can �become� obedient Christians, --- and receive the Holy Spirit.

Placid

In short, all christians who have acxepted Jesus as their personal saviour have received the Holy Spirit.?

Date Posted: 14 November 2012 at 4:48am
Hi Mahdi,

Quote: In short, all christians who have acxepted Jesus as their personal saviour have received the Holy Spirit.?

Response: --- Basically, we would say yes, --- all sincere believers that have faith in God, who pray to Him for guidance and follow the teaching of Jesus are Christians.

Those who simply say the words, �I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior,� --- unless it is followed up by living the life of a Christian, they may quickly go back from that first decision.

People are �saved by faith� in God, --- and they learn to grow in that faith by following Jesus and His word.

This explains it in Ephesians 2:
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

It says, �For by (God�s) grace you have been saved through (your) faith�
--- �Not of (your) works (or any merit of your own)�
--- For we (then) are His workmanship (new believers, surrendered unto Him as His workers or servants), created in Christ Jesus (through the conversion experience of being �recreated� or �born again�) for �good works� which God has prepared (has already planned for us to do in service to Him).

--- So it is simply faith first, --- going through the experience of accepting Jesus and surrendering our will to God, --- and being His servants in the work He would have us do.

Placid

Posted By: Salaam_Erin
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 7:25am
See also Luke 11:13, and then compare John 14-16 with Acts 2.  

Date Posted: 19 November 2012 at 6:45am
Hi Mahdi,

The reason I said above, that those who do not go through the �conversion experience� may go back on their decision, is because they may not fully surrender and dedicate themselves as �believing� Christians.

Notice the comparison in Christianity and Islam.
--- One surrenders their will to the will of God, and become obedience to Him.
--- Then that one has to go through the �inner struggle� of giving in, or yielding themselves, --- submitting each desire of their own will to God�s will.
--- Then they become a vessel that God can guide by His Holy Spirit.

Islam means �surrender� or �submission,� --- does it not?
And Jihad originally meant �the inner struggle� in yielding to God, --- did it not?
--- So, only those who go through that �inner struggle� can really be called �converted,� --- is that not right?

In your other topic on lying, --- When Adam and Eve sinned through disobedience to God, they were put out of the Garden. ---The Holy Spirit could not continue to dwell in an unholy body, and the first evidence that they sinned against God was that their �shroud of God�s Glory� would began to fade, and disappear.
--- It makes reference to this in Surah 7:
27 O Children of Adam! Let not Satan seduce you as he caused your (first) parents to go forth from the Garden and tore off from them their robe (of innocence) that he might manifest their shame to them.
Also their disobedience and fall is mentioned in Surah 2:
35 We said, "O Adam, live with your wife in Paradise, and eat therefrom generously, as you please, but do not approach this tree, lest you sin."
36 But Satan caused them to deflect therefrom and expelled them from the (happy) state in which they were.

--- When God came to Adam and Eve, --- this is the conversation in Genesis 3:
8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.
9 Then the Lord God called to Adam and said to him, �Where are you?�
10 So he said, �I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself.�
11 And He said, �Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?�

--- When they noticed their �robe of innocence� or �shroud of God�s Glory� was fading, to expose their inner body, they were afraid, and they hid from God
--- So they died Spiritually, as God said, --- and they would later die physically.

I wonder if you have made the connection between the Spiritual death, and the Spiritual birth in the New Covenant.

Jesus said to the Pharisee, Nicodemus, in John 3:
3 Jesus answered and said to him, �Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.�
John said in John 1:
12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. --- (Born Spiritually.)
Peter said twice in 1 Peter 1:
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again (caused us to be born again) to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever
And Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:22 --- and Ephesians 2:1.
22 For as in Adam all die (Spiritually), even so in Christ all shall be made alive (Spiritually).
1 And you He made alive (Spiritually), who were dead in trespasses and sins.
---(This may prompt more questions)

Placid

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net