URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23343
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 6:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Salat- time allowances?
Posted By: Mella82
Subject: Salat- time allowances?
Date Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:59am
Assalamu alaikum all!

I'm pretty new to Islam alhamdolillah (relatively new- under a year) and am still super confused about salat. If you read some of my other posts, you'll gather that I'm married to a non Muslim who doesn't approve, so I kind of have to pray in secret. Anyway, read about that later if you'd like ;) Let's just tackle the questions at hand, and if you'd like to comment/offer advice on the issue of a new Musilmah being married to a non Muslim, we can discuss that in the appropriate post inshallah.

1. I have heard some sisters refer to time allowances for prayer. In other words, prayer begins at a certain time, but you have an allotted amount of time in which to pray and have it still be valid. How does that work, or were they just misinformed? I'd love to find a resource for this so I can plan my prayers accordingly so as not to terrify/offend my husband.

2. What are some inappropriate places to pray? I live in a small apartment and there are not many places to pray where I won't be visible to my husband. The only place would be the bathroom, which, I'm assuming is a no no. Am I right? Is it ok to pray in a place where you wouldn't normally (eg. the shower) if it's the only place where you can give your full attention to Allah (swt)??

2. (More of a comment) I just moved to a new timezone and the prayer time for Fajr is coming up as 3:30 in the morning...!!?? I didn't even know that was possible.

'Mella

Replies:
Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 18 June 2012 at 9:33pm
Salam,

Welcome to Islam also welcome to IC forum.

Originally posted by Mella82 Mella82 wrote:

1. I have heard some sisters refer to time allowances for prayer. In other words, prayer begins at a certain time, but you have an allotted amount of time in which to pray and have it still be valid. How does that work, or were they just misinformed? I'd love to find a resource for this so I can plan my prayers accordingly so as not to terrify/offend my husband.
I don't get what you meant, but here what I understand about salat. Every sala t have a time frame, like fajr in the mornign from down to sunrise. Dhuhr from sun in the middle till about 45 degrees etc. So we should pray on that time frame. In your case, I think we can assume that, it's emergency, so you can pray in any places that not visible to your husband such as in your car (just by sitting, no bow down etc), etc.

2. What are some inappropriate places to pray? I live in a small apartment and there are not many places to pray where I won't be visible to my husband. The only place would be the bathroom, which, I'm assuming is a no no. Am I right? Is it ok to pray in a place where you wouldn't normally (eg. the shower) if it's the only place where you can give your full attention to Allah (swt)??
Bath room is not the best to pray. Like I mention above you can pray in your car, or if you close to park, you can go to park and prya on the bench there just by sitting on it (not bow down etc). At night perhaps you can pray when he aleready sleep.

2. (More of a comment) I just moved to a new timezone and the prayer time for Fajr is coming up as 3:30 in the morning...!!?? I didn't even know that was possible.
Fajr is start at dawn, during summer time, in high altitute area, such as canada, the fajr time will be start very early, and Isha time is very late.

Regarding your husband you might need start to think to find away  let him know nicely, and pray to Allah to help you to resolve the situation.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net