Print Page | Close Window

Is listening to recorded Cds or tapes proper

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: General Islamic Matter
Forum Description: Discuss Islamic matters/issues that not covered by other sub catagories
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22517
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 3:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is listening to recorded Cds or tapes proper
Posted By: mjiqbalkhan
Subject: Is listening to recorded Cds or tapes proper
Date Posted: 20 January 2012 at 9:25pm
A learned scholar of Islam says that Allah  SWT has honored mankind by
sending down Quran. No other species was given that honor. So if you
want to benefit from its hearing , it should be from an actual man. If
you hear in real time a man reciting Quran, or live on TV, you will get
benefits of reward and your heart will soften to accept Allah's Orders.
But if you listen to a dead tape/cd, you will neither get swab nor will
you be benefited by listening.

His name is Syed Asrar Alam.

What do you think brothers and sisters ?
To me what he says makes sense !

Your comments after deep thinking and pondering are invited.

Muhammad Javed Iqbal 

Replies:
Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 22 January 2012 at 10:57am
As Salamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah

I don't think brother that we don't get reward. There's nothing wrong is listening to the recitation. Infact listening to the recitation is sunnah. Here's an extract from Islam-qa -   read this hadith - " The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) listened to the recitation of Abu Moosa al-Ash'ari, and he said to him, "If only you could have seen me when I was listening to your recitation yesterday."

When its' said that we don't benefit by listening -- i don't think it's true brother. My source of listening to Farhat Hashmi sahiba is laptop, infact my whole class listened to her thru her CDs, alhamdulillah, we did benefit thru this source.

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 22 January 2012 at 7:23pm
Brother,
  You have not read my message carefully. I did not say listening of Quran has no benefit. But I said:

So if you  want to benefit from its hearing , it should be from an actual man. If you hear in real time a man reciting Quran, or live on TV, you will get benefits of reward and your heart will soften to accept Allah's Orders.

I hope now you understand what I was saying.

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 22 January 2012 at 7:32pm
Salam Br.Iqbal,

Your word is very confusing.
There was no tape/cd during prophet time. So there is no base that you can judge that listening quran from  tape/cd is no (less) value.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Date Posted: 22 January 2012 at 8:27pm
But Allah has given us common sense and wisdom. Listening
a tape or cd is not listening to a man who has been given the
right to read holy Quran as a blessing by Allah SWT. If you listen
to a tape and expect swab then how you will stop another person
not to play the record of his salat and say he has prayed by playing
the cd of his salat???
Please think and ponder, do not just jump to conclusions.

Date Posted: 23 January 2012 at 9:22pm
Salam,

Who give sawab is Allah. He gives sawab not based on our opinion. He give it based his only will, however we can say in general he given sawab and reward based on the genuinity of the intention why someone do this or that.

Anyway Allah know best, we can not judge Allah will do this or do that to somebody because we can not see sombody's heart, only Allh knows.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

Date Posted: 23 January 2012 at 11:35pm
It is not the question of opinion but of following  Allah's command with
wisdom and respect. Would you write Quran on an unclean paper or
cloth made of haram tissue? Obviously you will respect Quran and will
save it from disrespect. Similarly putting Quran on a dead tape or cd
and listen to it as a real man is reciting is NOT honest and sincere way
of benefitting from Quran. Tell me what is the problem with listening to
Quran from a living Qari, either in a masjid or live on a TV??

Muhammad Javed Iqbal

Date Posted: 24 January 2012 at 5:13pm

You said: "It is not the question of opinion but of following  Allah's command with wisdom and respect. "

What kind of "wisdom" making the big deal of listening quran from CD/Tape?

You may never know, thousand and thousand people become muslim in western world because quran, for sure they learn/listen Quran form CD.  Because there is not too many Qari in the west.

By limiting to listen quran only form live Qari, you will blocking a large number of human being to become muslim or at least blocking them enjoy the Quran.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 24 January 2012 at 8:01pm
You are not the only person who knows that  Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. The non Muslims who are accepting Islam are not accepting it because they have heard Quran on a CD, but because they read it its translation in their own language and found answers of the questions that came to their mind and they realized how true and logical Islam is.

You may be a blind follower, but every sensible Muslim will use his wisdom
to listen Quran from a human rather than a lifeless tape or cd.

Date Posted: 25 January 2012 at 1:15pm
After they convert they have to learn prayer in arabic, most of them do that using CD because many of them they don't have acces to a mosque because there is no mosque close to them. On top of that with Cd they can do it 24 hours, not limited by Imama availability or working hours of a smosque.

Please reflect on this, imagine you are a new muslim, then the closest mosque is 2 hour drive (this is common distance to a mosque in many rural area in USA).

By the way whis one you like on belos link:

Station Description http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U - M3U http://xspf.org/applications/ - XSPF
Quran Channel Quranic recitation by Shaikh Abdul Baset - followed by English translation http://mediaserver2.islamicity.com:8000/QuranRadio.m3u"> http://mediaserver2.islamicity.com:8000/QuranRadio.xspf">
Saudi Quran TV Live Audio Quran stream of Saudi Quran TV http://mediaserver2.islamicity.com:8000/SaudiTVArabic.m3u"> http://mediaserver2.islamicity.com:8000/SaudiTVArabic.xspf">

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 25 January 2012 at 2:41pm
I have true story:

Last week we had a guest, a lady, she converted to Islam about 2 years ago. She has 2 young sons that have sleeping problem. Before she converted to Islam, she used to use a TV to make them sleep, basically she turned on the TV during bad time, so they watched TV till finally they fell asleep.

After she converted to Islam, one day she let the boys to sleep over in her Muslim friends that also had a boy (named Zaid) with similar age with hers. So she told to her friend the "recipe" to make the boys sleep, to make sure the "sleep over" went well.

But apparently her friend had her own way to make the boys sleep. The "sleep over" went well, the boys were happy.  After a few days the boys, the boys told her mom, that he want to sleep over again. But she kept saying that they will do it another day. Finally on one weekend the boys insisted, they said they have to sleep over in Zaid's house again on that weekend.

Then she asked why, the boys said they want to hear Zaid's song that played before they sleep.  So she called her friend, and asked what song she plaid. Apparently its a Quran recitation. She (her friend) plays Quran recitation from a CD every time the bad time come. Apparently this is what made the boys feel good and sleep faster and better. (They boys didn't know Quran because her mom was a new Muslim, and never play Quran openly on her house yet).

So she bought Quran Cd's, and since then she never use TV anymore to make the boys sleep, but QURAN CD. Perhaps Allah give them sawab by listening THE CD OF THE QURAN, so they sleep faster and better.

Again this is a true story I didn't add anything, I wrote exactly what she told us. She is an educated white American lady.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 25 January 2012 at 4:51pm
Quran is a miracle. It has such a melody and rhythm that hearts are
attracted towards it. But I am not talking about Quran's effects on non Muslims who never had listened to it. But I am saying that a Muslim will
not get full benefits of Quran because he is not listening from a real man,
but he is listening from a dead cd or tape. If you can not see the subtle
difference, I am wasting my time with you. 

Date Posted: 25 January 2012 at 5:09pm
Now they are muslims. So they shouldn't listen the CD and hire a Qari every night?

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 25 January 2012 at 6:22pm
You are adamant for no justifiable reason. He can also listen a live
TV channel where Quran is being actually recited by a Man. What is
the harm in listening from a live Quran recitation? Or you get some
commission on selling CDs? (:

J a v e d 

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 25 January 2012 at 6:56pm

Praise be to Allaah.

The Qur�aan is the word of Allaah which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It is mustahabb to read it and recite it frequently. This is one of the means of raising one�s status in Paradise, as it was narrated in the hadeeth of �Abd-Allaah ibn �Amr ibn al-�Aas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �It will be said to the companions of the Qur�aan (i.e., those who read it much), �Read and rise in status, recite as you used to recite in the world, for your status will be commensurate with the last aayah you read.��

Likewise, listening to the Qur�aan is also mustahabb, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) listened to the recitation of Abu Moosa al-Ash�ari, and he said to him, �If only you could have seen me when I was listening to your recitation yesterday.� And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked �Abd-Allaah ibn Mas�ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) to recite the Qur�aan to him. �Abd-Allaah said, �Should I recite it to you when it was revealed to you?� The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, �I like to hear it from others.�

So your listening to the Qur�aan on CD, as you asked about, or from a tape recorder or on the radio or TV, comes under the same ruling (i.e., it is mustahabb), whether that is at home, in the car, on the bus or in any other appropriate place. So long as you focus on it and do not listen to it whilst doing something else, you will be rewarded for listening. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

Date Posted: 25 January 2012 at 7:24pm
The shaikh has not addressed my question. He has answered a
different question. Yes listening to  Quran is indeed rewarding
providing the reader is a believing Muslim, not a dead material
of tape or CD.

I hope I have made my point clear. Listen to humans not
plastic tapes.  They are NOT the same. Man was blessed
with holy Quran, not any other species.

Do not make living and lively Quran an automated, mechanical
soulless exercise.

Muhammad Javed Iqbal

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 11:54am
As Salamu Alaikum

Bhai, i wish you get polite with your posts. We are here sharing our opinions over the topic. A good and healthy discussion may help all of us here.

Coming to the topic as said, reward is from Allah swt. YOU and me cannot decide if its less or more.

You did not answer, as how those new muslims esp living in west and cannot reach out Masjids, Suppose if they feel like listening to Qur'an, shud they not listen thru CDs ?

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 12:49pm
Muhammad I think the point the Sheikh is making is that Quran is the word of Allah, which makes it special.  Therefore, is it not Allah's Word simply because it is on tape?  Of course not, therefore when we listen to Allah's Words whether heard by human voice in person, radio, tape or CD...it is still Allah's Word, and beneficial -insha'Allah, to the listener.  To assign more blessings to one method/mode over another needs textual evidence, and not simpy your feeling or opinion.

Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 7:42pm
Then what the shaikh says without considering the hazards of tapes
is also an opinion which is not binding on Muslims. Do you know
computer media is subject to change. In this dajjali era one or more
ayats of Quran can change with one instruction globally. But what
humans have memorized can not change. Therefore the sharf the
karmat Allah has bestowed on humans make them eligible to recite
and reap benefits of the tilawa and their listeners. But tapes/cds
have no such guarantee. Think about future. Why you always look
backwards?
                                     Muhammad Javed Iqbal

Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by mjiqbalkhan mjiqbalkhan wrote:

You are adamant for no justifiable reason. He can also listen a live TV channel where Quran is being actually recited by a Man. What is the harm in listening from a live Quran recitation? Or you get some commission on selling CDs? (:  
She lives in LA brother, not in Karachi, Cairo or Jeddah, there is no live TV with Quran at 8-9 PM (bed time).
Or do we have to make a Quran TV studio before the bed time come?
But I guess hire a Qory is much cheaper and faster than make a Quran TV studio :)-

Yes there is live Quran TV from Saudi sattelite, however we also don't see Qari, instead we see activities around Ka'bah. Apparently, Saudi the kingdom of Islam also use dead CD's for its "live" Quran TV.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 26 January 2012 at 11:47pm
Bhai,

I am sorry if I hurt  your feelings. But I was feeling pity as you were
not trying to understand. I clearly answered your question about non
Muslim in USA. He can listen to live TV broadcast  from Haram or any
other Majid as hearing directly from a human or listening a live broadcast
are almost the same. Only we have to refrain from hearing CDs or tapes.

I hope I have made the matter clear now.

M  J  Iqbal

Posted By: Full of Hopes
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 5:21am
When I first saw your questions I was a bit confused: Is not the tape or the CD also a Muslim reciting as well? I mean it s not like the CD player s reading itself!  or is it because it is not heard the same time it is read? I sometimes feel some scholars go with details more than needed. Wish u find a full answer for ur questions.

-------------
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)

Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 5:56am
The problem with tape or cd is that a real man is not reciting Quran
in it. It is rather recording of recitation done once by a human. It is
subject to editing and changes later on. So you can not trust you are
listening to real Ayats of holy Quran.
As you might be aware a fake Quran was published in the US and
distributed free of cost. Since it is an age in which attacks on Islam
are being planned.
So a learned scholar Asrar Alam has recommended Muslims not to
rely upon recording and listen either from a Qari or live recitation
on TV.
Hope this clarification clears the confusion.

M  J   Iqbal

Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 8:05am

Then what the shaikh says without considering the hazards of tapes
is also an opinion which is not binding on Muslims.                                     Muhammad Javed Iqbal

Well Muhammad, this isn't surprising because the religious opinion of scholars are unable to consider the creative imagination of people.  In other words, opinions are given based upon real issues, and not speculative hypotheticals or "what if" this or that should occur. 

Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 8:19am
OK. My job was to inform of the possible, in fact probable
consequences of using tapes and cds. Living in the west
you guys are brain washed to believe everything you see
in media and listen to traditional maulvis who are not aware
of challenges of dajjali era.

Good bye.

J a v  e  d

Date Posted: 28 January 2012 at 9:38am

Bhai,

I am sorry if I hurt  your feelings. But I was feeling pity as you were
not trying to understand. I clearly answered your question about non
Muslim in USA. He can listen to live TV broadcast  from Haram or any
other Majid as hearing directly from a human or listening a live broadcast
are almost the same. Only we have to refrain from hearing CDs or tapes.

I hope I have made the matter clear now.

M  J  Iqbal
Bhai,

The live Quran from Haram is a CD, not a man.
Here the link ( http://mediaserver2.islamicity.com:8000/SaudiTVArabic.m3u - Quran from Masjid al-Haram ) this is audio only, original source is a TV with Haram's view:

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 28 January 2012 at 2:48pm

OK. My job was to inform of the possible, in fact probable
consequences of using tapes and cds.

Javed don't worry because Allah, Most High, has promised to protect the Quran.....

We have, without doubt, sent down the Reminder [i.e., the Quran]; and We will assuredly guard it [from corruption].) (Al-Hijr 15:9)

Date Posted: 28 January 2012 at 6:30pm
I am worried. Allah has protected holy Quran and we have printed
copies and have also memorized part of it. But in this age of dajjal
we shall have to be careful for what we do. Read it from a printed
text we have with us or listen from a reliable Muslim brother we
know. And indeed  Allah will reward us for the extra precaution we
take. There is no greater blessing in this world than holy Quran. Any
trouble we take for it is worth it.

M  J  Iqbal

Date Posted: 29 January 2012 at 1:11am

Salam,

Who destroy the Quran these days are not people outside of Islam who want to change the quran on CD's or books, but muslims who don't follow the quran on his daily life.

Who are they:
- coruptor (many on muslim majority countries)
- dictator  (many on muslim majority countries)
- kill inocent in the name of Islam (muslim terrorist).
- spouses abuser (many muslims do this too)
- children abuser

This guys realy destroy the quran, because many people from other faith or no faith think that they do this becasue the Quran teaches so. Very often Islam is measured by what the muslims do. These acts realy reduce the apportunity of the quran to get respect from them (people other faith).

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 29 January 2012 at 4:52pm

The Quran will be a Proof for or against Us on the Day of Judgement

This is due to the statement of the Messenger sallahu alayhi wa salam: �And the Quran is a proof for you or against you.� [Muslim]

The Quran will Intercede for Us on the Day of Judgement

Abu Umaamah (May Allah be pleased with him) related that the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa salam said: �Read the Quran, for indeed it will come on the Day of Standing (Judgement) as an intercessor for its companions.� [Muslim]

The Quran Raises One�s Status in this Life

In Saheeh Muslim,  some men came to question Umar bin Al-Khattaab (May Allah be pleased with him)  during his reign as caliph regarding the leadership of Makkah. The men asked: �Who do you use to govern Makkah?� Umar (May Allah be pleased with him) said: �Ibn Abzaa.�  They asked: �And who is Ibn Abzaa?� �Umar replied: �A freed slave from those we freed.� They remarked: �You left a freed slave in command of the People of the Valley (the noble tribes of the Quraysh)?� He replied: �Indeed he is a reciter of the Book of Allaah and is knowledgeable about the obligations of the Muslims. Haven�t you heard the statement of your Messenger sallahu alayhi wa salam: �Verily Allaah raises some people by this Book and lowers others by it?��

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net