Forum Description: Pillars of Islam - Prayers, Fasting, Zakat, Hajj
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=171
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 10:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Repentance
Posted By: Knowledge01
Subject: Repentance
Date Posted: 19 March 2005 at 1:54pm

I am a new convert and have not yet learned how to pray so I was wondering if anyody reliable and knowledgable could tell me if repentance before Allah of all sins is included in the required words to be said in each of them 5 daily prayers?

That might be confusing, if it is, just tell me and I'll try to re-phrase.

Replies:
Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 19 March 2005 at 5:01pm

Assalamulaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Congratulations of accepting Islam as your way of guidance. Welcome to the folds, may allah bestow His mercy on you, and keep you enlightened on the straight path.

You should know that a revert to Islam is like a newborn, in the sense that all his deeds of past records are forgiven when he takes his oath (shahada).

As for a muslim, it is recommended by the prophet to seek forgiveness thru sincere repentance each day. It has been reported in hadith that our holy prophet (saw) used to make repentance 70 times each day ... this is when all his past and future sins, if any had been forgiven and he had been purified in this life by the grace and mercy of Allah subhan wa ta'ala.

You can make dua of repentance after each salah (prayer), as this would be very wise. You can also do this through remembreance of Allah at any time, and in any state.

Some dua of repentance which the prophet taught are:

Astaghfirullahi rabbi minkulli zambin wa at'ubu alaihi.

Subhan allah wa bi hamdihi, subhan allahil azeem wa biham dihi astaghfirullah.

subhan allahi wa bihamdihi subhan allahil azeem astaghfirullahal azeem wa a'tubu ilaihi.

Insha allah if you have any other questions on this topic or any other, please feel free to ask.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 19 March 2005 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

Astaghfirullahi rabbi minkulli zambin wa at'ubu alaihi.

Subhan allah wa bi hamdihi, subhan allahil azeem wa biham dihi astaghfirullah.

subhan allahi wa bihamdihi subhan allahil azeem astaghfirullahal azeem wa a'tubu ilaihi.

Insha allah if you have any other questions on this topic or any other, please feel free to ask.

As Salaam Alaikum, thank you for responding.  Can you please tell me exactly what the words above mean in English?  And can you also tell me what "dua" is?

Date Posted: 20 March 2005 at 7:59am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamulaiakum,

I do not have the literal translation for each one of these. However, the general meaning is glory and praise belongs to allah, who we seek forgiveness from, for all our sins.

Subhan allah: Glory be to Allah

Alhamdulillah: All praise belongs to Allah.

Asthaghfirullah: I seek forgiveness from allah.

Dua: supplication.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 28 March 2005 at 9:26am

As Salaam Alaikum,

Thank you.  So if I'm lying in bed and it is no where near the time of prayer, all I need to say is something to the effect of " I seek forgiveness of Allah" and my sins are automatically forgiven?

And if I just completed one of my daily prayers, there is no special set of words I need to say in addition to " I seek forgivenness of my sins through Allah" or something very close to that effect?

Date Posted: 28 March 2005 at 10:26am

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

Originally posted by Knowledge01 Knowledge01 wrote:

As Salaam Alaikum,

Thank you.  So if I'm lying in bed and it is no where near the time of prayer, all I need to say is something to the effect of " I seek forgiveness of Allah" and my sins are automatically forgiven?

The general presumption is that Allah forgives all sins that are repented with a sincere intention and sincere endeavors. However a believer should know that forgiveness is from a favor and mercy of Allah. He does not have to accept our forgiveness. Still He does, because He is oft forgiving most merciful. We should be greatful to Him for this.

I will insha allah quote something on the subject of repentence very soon.

When it is not the time for prayer, you can engage yourself in the rememberance of Allah in many ways. All the actions that take you closer to the religion, have emmense barakah in them, and are the expiations of sins as well. For example the ritual purification (wudu) is one of these acts. If you try to stay in a state of wudu all times, it has many rewards connected to it, insha allah.

And if I just completed one of my daily prayers, there is no special set of words I need to say in addition to " I seek forgivenness of my sins through Allah" or something very close to that effect??

After the prayer, we usually say:

Rabbana aatina fiddunya, hasanatawn, wa fil aakhirati hasanatawn, wa aqina adhaban naar. It is a verse from the Quran which means, O Lord, grant us the good in this world, and the good in the hereafter, and save us from the fire of hell.

There are few more supplications reported in the hadith, which the prophet recommended. I will check for their meanings before I post them for you here.

You can say any supplication from the Quran or Hadith.

As a general rule, supplications after salah, should not be mixed with human speach, rather should be the set of words prescribed in the quran or sunnah. One may not ask from allah the manner help is sought from fellow creatures. eg, u need help with your cources, in the university, instead of saying "o allah please help me pass this semister" or "o allah, have me complete my assignment on time", it is more befitting if you say " rabbi zidni ilma" which is a quranic phrase, meaning, O Lord, increase me in knowledge.

It is also from the practise of the prophet (SAW) to recite Alhamdulillah 33 times, Subhan allah 33 times, and Allah hu akbbar 34 times after every obligatory salah. If you can make it your practise, but increase yourself in a gradual manner, so that you may remain consistant.

Insha allah this may be of help.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen 

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 28 March 2005 at 5:23pm

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

Riyad-us-Saliheen, Book of Supplications

1469: Hadrath Tariq bin Ushaim (RAA) says that when a man embraced Islam, the holy Prophet (SAW) would (first of all) teach him how to pray (salat) and then ask him to supplicate with these words

Alla-hum-magh firli war hamni wa 'aafini wah dini war zuqni
[O Allah! Forgive me and have mercy on me, and guide me and let me be in peace and security, and provide for my livelihood.]

1415: Hadrath Sauban relates that when the holy prophet finished his salat he asked forgiveness three time and recited

Allahumma antas salamu wa minkas salamu taba rakta ya azal jalale wal ikram

[Allah, thou art the peace, and from thee is peace Blessed art thou or Lord of Glory and honor]

1422: Hazrat Muaz (RAA) relates that one day the Holy Prophet (SAW) cought hold of his hand and said, Muaz, by Allah I love you, and emphatically advise you that you should never forget to recite after every salat:-

Allahumma inni ala dhikrika wa shukrika wa husni ibadatika.

[O Allah assist me in remembering thee, being greatful to thee, and performing thy worship in an excellent manner]

Besides these, I also prefer to recite the following, as I find it very emphatic ...

Rabbana hablana minazwajina wa zurriyatina, qurratan aiyuniuw wajalna lil muttaqeena imama.(HQ, 25:74)

[Our Lord grant us spouses and children, who will be the comfort of our eyes, and give us the grace to lead the righteous.]

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 12:53pm

As Salaam Alaikum,

Thank you for those two very helpful posts.  I have one question though.  When ready to offer a dua after the obligatory prayer, what position is best?  (ruku,sujud,etc)

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 1:13pm

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

Brother if you'll search for the words from the Qur'an passing the issue inside of it;you'll have a incredible advice;if you have no time for searching from the first hand,i can suggest you reading Yusuf Al Qaradawi's DUA book which is so wonderful to understand the connection between Allah and us...but,as i have said first search from the holy Qur'an,from the source...Wa Salaam..

Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 4:35pm

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah

When ready to offer a dua after the obligatory prayer, what position is best?  (ruku,sujud,etc)

It is reported in hadith, that the servant is closest to Allah in the position of sujud. Thus the best position for dua would be in sujud.

However, you can make dua in any state, or any position, ie outside the salah. Ideally, after the salah, one sits (as seated in the salah - for men, on the feet, and for women, with their legs folded on their right side) with hands raised upto the chest level, folded together, with palms facing up, forming the shape of a bowl.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 5:20pm
I cannot thank you enough for this information.  May Allah give you rewards for helping the new converted and guiding me to more and more knowledge to become closer with our God.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net