URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16820
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 10:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: modest dress
Posted By: nicewoman
Subject: modest dress
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:17pm
Greetings,
I am very impressed with Islam and considering conversion. I am confused about dressing modest as a woman. What is considered adequate for a beginner female to wear that maybe would not be too shocking to my family who are christian, but at the same time would be in keeping with Islamic modesty?

Replies:
Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:49pm
Salam/Peace,

First welcome to the forum. hope you enjoy your stay.

You can use regular clothing (tshirt and long pant, etc) as long as not too tight that show your body shape vividly. Yes agree with you we have to do everything gradually.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:57pm
I was also uneducated about hair covering. Is it ok to wear a regular lace-like scarf that covers most of my hair but not all in the front?

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:00pm
Yes it's OK. Many muslim woman do that.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:14pm
Thank you. It is kind of you to answer my questions. I feel much better and confident now about what to wear.

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:39pm
Asalaam alaikum,

I to owould start with the loose clothing and go from there.

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 22 May 2010 at 5:15am
Originally posted by nicewoman nicewoman wrote:

Greetings,
I am very impressed with Islam and considering conversion. I am confused about dressing modest as a woman. What is considered adequate for a beginner female to wear that maybe would not be too shocking to my family who are christian, but at the same time would be in keeping with Islamic modesty?

Peace be unto you Nicewoman . . . Smile

I agree with Semar & Hayfa. Work your way up gradually. Start off by choosing looser clothes . . . longer sleeves . . . etc. God Willing, you shall soon find yourself embracing the correct dress code. Make sure you cover the basics first - i.e. the attractive curves. It would be a good idea to take attention away from the bosom, and curves. (can use Jackets, scarves, waist-coats etc)

When one starts to cover up - after a while, covering up becomes like a second nature, and you no longer have to make a 'conscious' effort and you feel 'exposed' wearing anything less.

You don't have to throw away all your previous clothes. Just find a way to make them modest. E.g you could wear full sleeves under your sleeveless, or a tank-top inside if the neck-line is deep. I'm sure you get the idea. In fact, should be fun to experiment Smile

Also, just in case you didn't know - you don't have to cover-up or wear a headscarf in front of blood-related relatives such as your Father, Brother, Uncles, Grandparents, or boys under the age of puberty. (nor females). So hopefully it would be easier, since you don't have to change your appearance for them - only for unrelated males.

I'll post a video/article later so you can get an idea of how Muslim women dress/shop - might be of help. Just to give you an idea.

Best wishes for your modest endeavor !

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 22 May 2010 at 5:28am
Thank you for your advice. It sounds reasonable to me to begin with loose clothes and to convert my own wardrobe to meet my needs.
I did not know about family and relatives. This will make my transition easier to be relaxed at home and not worry so much about dressing there. I have found that I feel much more comfortable with my hair covered and I am enjoying trying new types of scarves.
Thank you again

Posted By: xx__Ace__xx
Date Posted: 05 June 2010 at 2:50pm
Hearty congratulations and well wishes for your conversion. I pray Allah delights you with a blessful, happy and peaceful future Big%20smile

Date Posted: 05 June 2010 at 5:45pm
Thank you my brother. May you also be blessed. It is nice to have supportive people around me.

Posted By: aleekhan41
Date Posted: 14 October 2010 at 10:24am
The type of dressing Islam allows is that up till a certain limit of your body from ur knees to abdomen is covered and the dress wore inst up to complete fitting (For Males). Hope that answers your question.

Posted By: amie3310
Date Posted: 01 November 2010 at 9:04pm
I don't think that this is fair to woman by wearing abaya dress. Why Muslim should cover the face of their woman? Is there anything wrong to see each others faces? Is there any written in Quran to cover the face of the women?

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 8:14pm
Hello Amie,

It is not compulsory for muslim women to cover their faces. The ones that cover their faces do so for a number of reasons, some of which are personal choice (because that is their interpretation of modest covering). Some want to go that extra mile to cover up. Others do so because it is cultural.

No there is nothing wrong with seeing each others faces. In Islam the only thing that is discouraged is for men & women to lustfully gaze at each other, or "check each other out". As long as that modest aspect is taken care of, there is no restriction on men & women interacting on a normal, day-t-day basis within the realms of modesty.

Also, muslim men don't cover the face of their women, it is usually the girl's own personal choice. I observe the Hijab - and nobody forced me. Not all women in my family observe/wear Hijab.

Again, 'abaya dress' is not compulsory. It is simply a form of clothing. Muslim women may wear anything as long as it fits the islamic criteria. That could be a burqa, skirt, shalwar-kameez, OR abaya. Again - the realms of modesty differ from culture to culture, and country to country. As long as we meet the basic universal laws of Islam dresscode - there is NOTHING wrong with observing your local dresscode.

Why do you think its unfair for women to wear abayas? Just curious.

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Posted By: dwebnov10
Date Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:54am
Salam alaikkum

I am really fond of Islamic tradition, values and culture and very much adore them.  I too was looking for some information about the "modest" values on dressings and this topic turned out to be of great information.  Let me ask one doubt... regarding hair covering, is there any limitation on clothing colors?  Why I asked you is that I had seen only black and white cloths used for covering head and face.  Would you be kind enough to put some light on this?

Date Posted: 05 November 2010 at 11:31am
Originally posted by dwebnov10 dwebnov10 wrote:

Let me ask one doubt... regarding hair covering, is there any limitation on clothing colors?� Why I asked you is that I had seen only black and white cloths used for covering head and face.� Would you be kind enough to put some light on this?

Wa'alaikum salaam dewbnov,

No there is no such limitation on clothing colors for women. They can wear any color they like. Women choose black/white more for practical reasons. A black/white Hijab will go with any dress. Black is also preferred because it doesnt get dirty too quickly. (well it probably does, but it doesnt show...lol)

Another reason is cultural. In some places women will prefer a black outer covering... it may be because they think Black is not a very catchy/alluring color (again, thier interpretation of modesty) And ofcourse the universal reason why females like black clothing! Its smart & elegant :).

In places like Turkey, Malaysia etc women prefer wearing bright colors and you will not notice black to be as common. So it depends really...

However there is no such restriction in Islam.

-------------

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 05 November 2010 at 4:46pm

Obama%20with%20hijabi%202

Posted By: rich kenny
Date Posted: 08 November 2010 at 4:22pm
It is great we have such great guidance here on the forum network, there are alot of mis-informations on the internet regarding the modest dress subject.

Posted By: dwebnov10
Date Posted: 10 November 2010 at 7:54pm
Dear Chrysalis

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Now it is very clear why most women opt for black or white scarves/burkhas.

Posted By: Hidden_Pearl
Date Posted: 04 March 2011 at 10:08am
I think the appropriate dress for the muslm woman is a subject that creates a lot of confusion and distraction. Some of the common misconceptions stem from conflating what individual muslimas choose to wear (according to their personal taste/culture/social environment) with what the Qur'an and Sunnah tell us about how to dress. The guidelines are in the Qur'aan and Hadith of the Prophet (SWS), not in the customs or desires of people.
When I first reverted, as a woman, there were changes to be made in my wardrobe and personal appearance. People generally advised me to dress "modestly"- ie cover a s much skin as possible. They told me that the hijab would come with time-  "the real hijab is in the heart",don't rush things, etc. It was only when I read more Qur'an and Hadith and understood more about my deen that I got the difference between what people may consider modest or appropriate and exactly how we are commanded to dress by Allah SWT. That's when I made the real adjustments to my dress and put on hijab full-time, and then graduated to abaya- which I love!
If muslimas desire to wear black or white or hot pink, there is no harm in it, it's according to custom or choice- not because their religion dictates it. Like wise, wearing the niqab which covers the face, is not an obligation- outside somewhere like Saudi Arabia, that is! It tends to be a personal decision- and don't think it's because some man is forcing them to do so! In fact, there are some fathers and husbands that don't like their daughters and wives to wear hijab, much less niqab. I myself would like to go further in my covering and wear niqab, but as my husband isn't so keen on it I'm not!
Hope that helps you some, and congragulations on becoming a muslima- alhamdulillah! Read as much as you can and increase your knowledge, inshallah, which will arm you for everything you have to face. Many muslims will advise you, and they may be well intentioned, but don't base your decisions purely on what people say- believe me, you will hear lots of conflicting things!

Posted By: aisha87
Date Posted: 06 December 2011 at 6:12am

Salamu Alaikum,

Alhamdulillah for the discussion, I wandered if your family are not Muslim, would you still need to wear hijab in front of your mahram?

Posted By: Wardah
Date Posted: 08 December 2011 at 7:21am
Aslamo alecum

MashaAllah, its good to see people helping each other however I have read or seen lots of thing about women dress in Islam but how about brothers? they should have restrictions on their Islamic dress like women, but why no budy talks about it?????

Date Posted: 21 December 2011 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by aisha87 aisha87 wrote:

Salamu Alaikum,

Alhamdulillah for the discussion, I wandered if your family are not Muslim, would you still need to wear hijab in front of your mahram?

Good question aisha87, I looked this up on the internet and the scholar says that it is not required of muslim to observe Hijab in front of non-muslim mahrams. They are still your mahrams.

Here is an excerpt from the fatwa:

"Your maternal uncle is considered to be a mahram for you, and on this basis it is permissible for you to take off your hijab in front of him. There is no report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ordered the Muslim women to observe hijaab in front of their non-muslim relatives. 

But the scholars have mentioned that the relative in front of whom the woman takes off her hijab should be trustworthy. This condition applies to both Muslims and non-muslims."  - Fataawa al-Mar�ah al-Muslimah, 1/532, 533  (And Allah Knows Best).

Ok yes I know it is not the best thing to look up fatwas on the internet, but we gotta work with whatever resources we have! May Allah guide us all. It is always best to ask a scholar in person. (but do a background check on your local scholar too! Always ask for proofs from Quran & Sunnah).

I would also recommend that you read up on this website, it has good resources:

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/ - http://www.suhaibwebb.com/

-------------

Posted By: arsomartinera
Date Posted: 06 November 2019 at 12:28pm
Indecent dressing and exposure of your body reduces your value and respect.
Always dress decently.

Posted By: Noor-e-hidayat
Date Posted: 07 November 2019 at 2:10am
Nice Reply Heart

Posted By: milana
Date Posted: 07 November 2019 at 7:27am
Hey guys, I am doing my Dissertation Research on Modest Fashion and whether brands are doing justice to the consumer.

If you could fill out a survey, you will find the link bellow? This would really help me with my research.

https://forms.gle/Bz4NHUzn8Wav1F7F9" rel="nofollow - https://forms.gle/Bz4NHUzn8Wav1F7F9

Thank you.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net