URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=157
Printed Date: 16 April 2024 at 4:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: US denies Indian politician entry
Posted By: Nausheen
Subject: US denies Indian politician entry
Date Posted: 18 March 2005 at 3:22pm
US denies Indian politician entry
A controversial Indian right-wing politician has been banned from entering the US for alleged violation of religious freedom.

The US revoked the visa of Narendra Modi, the chief minister of the Indian state of Gujarat, which was hit by religious riots in 2002.

More than 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, were killed in the violence, the worst in decades.

Rights groups blamed Mr Modi for doing little to prevent the violence.

'Insult'

Mr Modi said the US had "insulted" India by revoking his visa, and asked the federal government to take up the matter with US authorities.

The US revoked Mr Modi's 'tourist/business' visa under a law that makes "any government official who was responsible for or directly carried out at any time, particularly severe violations of religious freedom, ineligible for a visa".

Granting visa is the sovereign right of any state but the manner in which it was done and reasons given are unacceptable
Yashwant Sinha, BJP leader

Mr Modi's request for a diplomatic visa was also turned down because the purpose of his visit to the US did not qualify him for such a visa, a spokesman for the US embassy in Delhi told the BBC.

The main opposition Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to which Mr Modi belongs has criticised the US decision.

Senior BJP leader and former foreign minister Yashwant Sinha said the Indian government should take up the issue "strongly" with the US government.

"Granting visa is the sovereign right of any state but the manner in which it was done and reasons given (for denial of visa to Mr Modi) are unacceptable," Mr Sinha told journalists.

Resolution

Earlier this week, two US congressmen introduced a resolution in the US House of Representatives criticising Mr Modi's conduct during the 2002 Gujarat riots.

Congressmen John Conyers and Joe Pitts accused Mr Modi of carrying out religious persecution against Muslims, Christians and indigenous tribals.

"Our government should speak with one voice in condemning these policies and the actions of the Modi administration that has led to the death, torture and imprisonment of thousands in Gujarat," Mr Pitts said.

The Gujarat chief minister, who belongs to the Hindu nationalist BJP, was due to speak at several events organised by the Indian community in the US.

His actions during the riots came under severe criticism from human rights groups and independent observers, but he continued to remain in office and even won re-election later that year.

Three years after the violence, no one has been brought to justice.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/south_asia/4360259.stm

Published: 2005/03/18 09:46:05 GMT

� BBC MMV

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Replies:
Posted By: fezziwig
Date Posted: 18 March 2005 at 8:07pm

Just as a personal point of view I think it's silly to deny visa to a guy unless he represents some kind of threat. Symbolic acts don't usually work well and often backfire, as this one may.

By contrast, gerry Adams was simply snubbed by the whitehouse, which makes some sense as you don't want to do anything that legitimizes the IRA terrorism.

F

Date Posted: 19 March 2005 at 5:27pm

I would still say that this was a sensible decision of USA, because  so many muslims who live there, consider this man (Modi) is a criminal. he was being invited to be recognised for his behaviors in Gujrat, which outraged the muslims.

This decision was apparently made after a petion signed by muslims and human rights groups.

Peace,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Posted By: ZamanH
Date Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:01am

As Salaam Alaikum,

I don't like what Modi has done to the Muslims in Gujrat. But Americans have been even worse to the Muslims in the past. I don't think it makes sense to call the Americans for refereeing. Americans act only according to their interest, whether that harms or benefits others.

Almost all the political parties in India which are strongly against Modi, are opposing the U.S action. I think Muslim should side with the Indians in protesting against the U.S for meddling in their internal matter.

ZamanH.

Date Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by ZamanH ZamanH wrote:

I think Muslim should side with the Indians in protesting against the U.S for meddling in their internal matter.

ZamanH.

Walaikum assalam,

Not giving out visa, is very much a US matter, and NOT Indian internal matter.

As I said in the above post, this denial of visa came out as a result of a petition signed by muslims living in US and Canada.

Modi was being invited by the some hotel organization, to award him for what he has done for the Gujratis .... this the muslims saw offensive, and appealed to the US government.

If denying visa is anyone's internal matter it is the US' and not the Indian ...

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 21 March 2005 at 3:02pm

Protest the Visit of Modi, the Chief Architect of Gujarat Pogroms

http://www.coalitionagainstgenocide.org/petition/modi.protest.php - http://www.coalitionagainstgenocide.org/petition/modi.protes t.php

Signed by:

http://www.coalitionagainstgenocide.org/petition/modi.protest.signup.php - http://www.coalitionagainstgenocide.org/petition/modi.protes t.signup.php

-------------

[/COLOR]

Posted By: Whisper
Date Posted: 26 March 2005 at 11:31pm

Not just that WE SHOULD SIDE with the Indians on this matter alone.

Indians are a good 220 times more human than the Amreekans.

Plus we must support the Indians against recent US bullying on the Gas Pipeline. Who we deal with in our region is OUR BASIC HUMAN RIGHT. US is building up against their next targets in the usual gangsterlike fashion through the state department and their corrupt media.

INDIA AND ALL OUR REGION HOLDS EVERY RIGHT TO DEAL WITH WHO WE LIKE. US CAN JUST NUKE ITSELF.

SIMPLE

Date Posted: 28 March 2005 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

If denying visa is anyone's internal matter it is the US' and not the Indian ...

The reason cited for denying Modi a visa, were related to his acts in India (not in the U.S). Therefore, denial of visa to Modi no longer remains an internal issue of the U.S. Indians are outraged at the U.S belief that it can judge people who don't live in America.

-------------
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet

Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 4:58am

The reason cited for denying Modi a visa, were related to his acts in India (not in the U.S).

and whatever Modi does in his own home is nobody's business!

Even if it is incenerating humans(?) Ridiculous!!

Are you saying that a crime against mankind is somebody's personal business?

Irrespective of what America has done to Muslims, MODI IS NOWHERE NEAR A SAINT! He chose to carry out his crimes openly. ..... now what does he want? Acceptance? Praise? Medals? Or a trip to the USA? He is a shameless, brutal, criminal!

Let me tell all Indians, if there should be outrage against anyone it should be against Modi. Otherwise, beat your wife, burn your daughter-in-law alive, and abort your female foetus, then say ..... sare jahan se achcha hindustaan hamara!!!

Peace.

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 8:18pm

No, I have said that its none of America's business only. The problem with America is that it has almost no credibility. In the past, Americans have made mischief at the pretext of "helping" others. Therefore, it is not sensible to trust the U.S govt., when it says that it denied visa to Modi to help the Muslims and NOT to make any mischief against India (in which case, Muslims should side with the Indians). I won't have opposed the Brazilians or Argentines if they have denied visa to Modi but, U.S simply can't be trusted.

Even if it is incenerating humans(?) Ridiculous!!

Calling the U.S for refereeing in even more ridiculous. It is more stupid than praising Modi for opposing the U.S war on Iraq.

Irrespective of what America has done to Muslims,

Actually, U.S govt. has been much more worse than Modi, considering the number of Muslims killed by each of them (you know it but, you won't admit it. Will you??)

MODI IS NOWHERE NEAR A SAINT! He chose to carry out his crimes openly.

Yes, I hate Modi but, I dislike the U.S govt. even more.

Otherwise, beat your wife, burn your daughter-in-law alive, and abort your female foetus, 

Now, how is that relevant to the topic. I admit women are not treated well, calling the Americans/Westerners to intervene will  be even worse.

then say ..... sare jahan se achcha hindustaan hamara!!!

So, you are from Indian Sub-continent.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 9:00pm

Published: 2005/03/18 09:46:05 GMT

� BBC MMV

Are you sure you have the permission to post that article here?? If so, please let me know the procedure, I also want to post many articles from various websites but, which are unfortunately copyrighted.

-------------

Posted By: bharatiya
Date Posted: 26 April 2005 at 2:34am

Zaman brother... Not only you but also hindus hate Modi.

Date Posted: 26 April 2005 at 2:40am
 But why all the hue and cry. Every Indian Muslim knows that there are only a few hindus who hate muslims.  Just like there are muslims who hate india and help the ISI, there are people like VHP(I hate it because of what it is "Vishwa 'Hindu' Parishad", but does nothing good to anyone)

Date Posted: 27 April 2005 at 9:05pm
Aslam walaikum!

It may not be nobody's business, but it definitely not your business.

Quote Even if it is incenerating humans(?) Ridiculous!!

What about minorities in Pakistan and Bangladesh and various other Islamic Republics?

WHAT ABOUT ISLAMIC TERRORISM?

Quote Irrespective of what America has done to Muslims, MODI IS NOWHERE NEAR A SAINT! He chose to carry out his crimes openly. ..... now what does he want? Acceptance? Praise? Medals? Or a trip to the USA? He is a shameless, brutal, criminal!

Yes, modi is nowhere a saint.  But even muslims are not saints...

Quote Let me tell all Indians, if there should be outrage against anyone it should be against Modi. Otherwise, beat your wife, burn your daughter-in-law alive, and abort your female foetus, then say ..... sare jahan se achcha hindustaan hamara!!!

If you are from the sub-continent... Hope there are no such muslims like you in India today...

Peace and Love...

-------------
THE SOIL OF BHARAT IS MY HIGHEST HEAVEN, THE GOOD OF BHARAT IS MY GOOD.

Posted By: Yusuf.
Date Posted: 29 April 2005 at 11:56am

Originally posted by bharatiya bharatiya wrote:

But why all the hue and cry. Every Indian Muslim knows that there are only a few hindus who hate muslims.  Just like there are muslims who hate india and help the ISI, there are people like VHP(I hate it because of what it is "Vishwa 'Hindu' Parishad", but does nothing good to anyone)

Good post, bharatiya. I personally know Muslims who were hidden by their Hindu neighbors to save them from radical anti-Islamic squads. And I would do the same for any Hindu that was in fear of radical anti-Hindus without a second's hesitation.

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 29 April 2005 at 4:58pm

Aslam walaikum!

It may not be nobody's business, but it definitely not your business.

And why not? Can you please elaborate?

Quote Even if it is incenerating humans(?) Ridiculous!!

What about minorities in Pakistan and Bangladesh and various other Islamic Republics?

Those who are commiting crimes against them are all wrong by the same token!  Justice is justice and it shld not discriminate ppl on the basis of religion/faith.

WHAT ABOUT ISLAMIC TERRORISM?
It is as bad as Hindu terrorism, or any state-terrorism.

Quote Irrespective of what America has done to Muslims, MODI IS NOWHERE NEAR A SAINT! He chose to carry out his crimes openly. ..... now what does he want? Acceptance? Praise? Medals? Or a trip to the USA? He is a shameless, brutal, criminal!

Yes, modi is nowhere a saint.  But even muslims are not saints...

it was not being claimed that all muslims are saintly. Calling the spade spade shld not depend on what faith you follow.

Quote Let me tell all Indians, if there should be outrage against anyone it should be against Modi. Otherwise, beat your wife, burn your daughter-in-law alive, and abort your female foetus, then say ..... sare jahan se achcha hindustaan hamara!!!

If you are from the sub-continent... Hope there are no such muslims like you in India today...

And what is your opinion of Muslims from India who do not like the unethical practices within the society?

Peace.

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 30 April 2005 at 1:38am

Because you are not living in India, and dont know the situation.

Why do you people talk about Godhra and not talk about why it happened?  It happened because tens of 'hindus' were burnt alive.

Its an isolated incident and I have already told you that everyone hates Mr. Modi.

Its as if saying, "Killing and murdering are Muslim's monopoly".

Quote Those who are commiting crimes against them are all wrong by the same token!  Justice is justice and it shld not discriminate ppl on the basis of religion/faith.

When it comes to you seem to be liberal.

Quote It is as bad as Hindu terrorism, or any state-terrorism.

'hindu' terrorism?  Did you say that?  If you are an Indian, this shows your loyaty towards your country.

Quote ... not being claimed that all muslims are saintly. Calling the spade spade shld not depend on what faith you follow.

Yeah, you are right.

Quote And what is your opinion of Muslims from India who do not like the unethical practices within the society?

'unethical practices'?  What are they?

They are social evils.  They dont have religion.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2005 at 7:08am

Because you are not living in India, and dont know the situation.

Why do you people talk about Godhra and not talk about why it happened?  It happened because tens of 'hindus' were burnt alive.

The train was burnt by hindus. They were returnng from a project proving muslims have no social and religious rites in India.

Its an isolated incident and I have already told you that everyone hates Mr. Modi.

Good you told that, then why are u fighting when I say I dislike Modi?What is your logic in this? Does this mean its okay if you call Modi bad, but its not okay if I call him bad?

Its as if saying, "Killing and murdering are Muslim's monopoly".
Can you prove your statement? From which statement of mine can it be inferred that I conodne the killings by Muslims? - Bring the quotes here and prove this against me, otherwise retract your allegation!

Quote Those who are commiting crimes against them are all wrong by the same token!  Justice is justice and it shld not discriminate ppl on the basis of religion/faith.

When it comes to you seem to be liberal.

Same response as above.

Quote It is as bad as Hindu terrorism, or any state-terrorism.

'hindu' terrorism?  Did you say that?  If you are an Indian, this shows your loyaty towards your country.

You said "Muslim Terrorism" and you claim to be an Indian .... this is your loyalty to India.  Your injustice towards Muslims. You want to say that the term "Muslim terrorism" is okay.

India is a secular, democratic, republic, not a Hindu country or a muslim country. You have called muslims of India terrorists, and this reflects your desire to live with them in harmony!  

Quote And what is your opinion of Muslims from India who do not like the unethical practices within the society?

'unethical practices'?  What are they?

You did not answer my question.

Abortion of female foetus. Burning of a bride for dowry. - these are unethical practices, very common in the country. If there are some people in your country who do not agree to these, what will you say to them? that you wish they dont live in India? And if they are muslims, then you are relieved that they are gone?

They are social evils.  They dont have religion.

You tried to give them a garment of religion not I. You said if muslims detest these, you would hope they dont live in Inida anymore.

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 30 April 2005 at 10:58am

Bharatiya (or Kumar) whoever you are, c'mon don't fool yourself in to believing you can convince a sensible person that you are not anti-muslim.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2005 at 10:02pm
Brother ZamanH

Bharatiya (or Kumar) whoever you are, c'mon don't fool yourself in to believing you can convince a sensible person that you are not anti-muslim.

If you feel that I am anti-Muslim, I am really sorry and I cant help it.  I love Islam as much I love my own.  But I love my country, my ancestors more than anything else.

-------------

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 01 May 2005 at 5:11am

Bharatiya,

Here is some advice to consider, take it or leave it as you please.  When one learns to love Allah above all else (kin, country, etc.) one is opened to the most profound inner peace and joy.  The life of this world is fleeting, Allah and the Hereafter are eternal.

3:185 - Every human being is bound to taste death: but only on the Day of Resurrection will you be requitted in full [for whatever you have done] - where upon he that shall be drawn away from the fire and brought into paradise will indeed have gained a triumph: for the life of this world is nothing but enjoyment of self-delusion.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 01 May 2005 at 8:29am
Asalam walaikum,

I have had that experience.  But I am not a Muslim.  I believe its not an obligation to be a Muslim to have Salvation.  And its not that only Muslims are emancipated(no offence).  According to our Philosophy, Salvation is not an event in time, but a realization.

Allah is just a word.  What matters is the connection.

People say that Quran was said by Allah.  But It had to be written by a man.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 June 2005 at 12:48am

Indians are outraged at the U.S belief that it can judge people who don't live in America.

To correct myself, Indians felt threatened by the U.S. Americans have often made mischief against others while pretending to help them. Their fears are indeed justified. Considering the desecration of Quran incident in the U.S, it is not sensible to believe U.S will act against the Indians to help the Muslims, rather than to make some mischief against the Indians.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net