Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1467
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 6:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Halaal meat, is it really
Posted By: Jenni
Subject: Halaal meat, is it really
Date Posted: 11 July 2005 at 8:24pm
Salaam all, I have been visiting www.soundvision.com and they have some very good articles about halal meat. They say that Zabiha does not mean much because it tells nothing of how the animal was fed and if it was given hormones. Many animals in western countries and even halal meat imported into muslim countries have been fed the dead byproducts of other animals. I say that how can halal have any meaning then. I have asked two halal butchers if they can garantee the source of thier meat as being hormone free and animal by product free and they said they could not. I choose instead to buy free range, or organic meat eggs and dairy that is certified not to contain animal by products, antibiotics and hormones. I know it is more expensive, but the alternative for us is to have our own farm or be vegetarians, both of which seem a too difficult right now. I am just wondering why so many Muslims are stuck on this halal as in how the animal was slaughtered issue, and not what was it fed and injected with? I have to finish with some of the worst meat, namely beef that I ever bought was from a halal store, more than once. And the best goat I ever bought was from a halal store , so I'm torn!!

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Replies:
Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 11 July 2005 at 8:44pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

dear Jenni, It is the command of Allah to consume meat products in a particular prescribed fashion, thus muslims adhere to the code.

You are although correct in your concerns on how the animals are raised and fed. It is indeed a serious health concern, due to mad cow, foot and mouth diseases,  and accumulation of excess growth hormones. in olden times these methods were not known to mankind, even then, muslims were preparing and consuming halal meat only, as per their religious instructions. Today, they should take a step further and concern themselves over these issues as well as the prefrence for halal products.

These days diseases like metabolic syndrome, diabetes and various abnormalities related to heart functions are directly linked with our eating styles. In olden times people did not consume as much meat as they do today. I wounder why people say it is difficult to go on a vegetarian diet, when it is far more healthy. Furhter, there are no nutrients that cannot be obtained from fruits and vegatables.

Thakfully the meat we consume is free of the concerns you posed, but if I were in a situation to choose between hormone laided halal and vegetables, I would prefer vegs along with lots of tofu and natto

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 6:56am
I agree but nave read that some scholars say it is ok to not het meat that is Zabiha  halal. So I buy organic meat from the natural foods store. I think is is the better option.

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Posted By: AhmadJoyia
Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 8:12am

My sis Jenni,

Uptill now you must have found out about me that I am not at all a scholar nor am I any knowledgeable person better than many in this forum. However, I may like to add few thoughts from my own side over the issue of Halal / Haram. The most I can do in choosing the meat that I can consume, is to ensure that I buy it from a Halal shop owned by a Muslim person. One more step in my efforts to ensure that my religious obligation is fulfilled is to specifically ask him if this meat is through proper Dhabiah or not and that is it. If he, the Muslim business owner, is not telling the truth or if his own sources are not telling him the truth, I am least concerned; untill or unless they are proven lier beyond human doubt. My intentions and hence my actions are all visible to Allah to satisfy my obligations. This also logical to say that whenever I visit our Muslim family friends, I never question them about their source of meat that have been served to us as a guest.

However, I do have much concerns, as much as you have, on the diet of the animals used in the america to feed them. But then, it is really beyond the issue of halal or harm. We must make efforts, through all means such as scientifically, socially and as well as politically to stop this practice as its not just the problem of Muslims alone but for the health of all consumers irrespective of their faith. I hope this may help in some way. Allah knows the best.

Posted By: Khadija1021
Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 10:05am

Assalamu Alaikum

This is a good topic.  I'm a new muslim and I have read in the Qur'an and the Hadith about eating meat that is Halal.  My question is, what if you don't have a Halal butcher in your community or anywhere close to you?

PAZ, Khadija

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 10:14am
My point to you AhmadJoyia is that the soundvision website states that most zabiha meat is not really halal. Becuase of the presence of animal blood and tissue being fed to the animal. Also because of the hormones. Unless it is free range, no hormones and not fed animal by products zabiha really means nothing!! So the point is I would rather eat meat that is not Zabiha that is organic which tastes much better and is of higher quality than eat some of the pathetic cheap halal meat that I have had to throw away because it was so awful. I have even found the Q&A on Islamicity that the Imam said it is O.k. to eat non Zabiha meat, it is not preferred but it is not Haram. Once again people are just stuck on how the animal was slaughtered, if it was fed pig parts then I don't think it can ever be halal!!

-------------

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 10:56am

Assalamu alaikum,

Certainly we strive to do as Allah asks us to.  If good quality halal meat is available, we have no excuse to eat otherwise.  If the halal meat available to us is tainted (hormones, blood, and so on), then are we not obliged to do the better of the two and eat good healthy meat - as long as we say bismallah over it before eating?  This would apply to persons who live where halal meat is not even available at all as well.

It is a good point, Sister Jenni, that we need to feed our children good quality meat.  In fact, we are not supposed to harm ourselves or others, so eating halal meat that is tainted would be wrong.

And yes, I have seen many "fatwas" and articles about halal meat for Muslim minorities living in the west - they all say it is all right to eat the meat from our grocery store (if halal is not available where we live) as long as we say bismillah over it before eating.

I went for almost three years eating no meat at all when I first became a Muslim.  Then, I finally met the little community of Muslims here - they all ate meat from the grocery store (saying bismallah before eating).  All had consulted imams "back home" who suggested this is what they should do. 

Islam is supposed to be a simple religion that causes no hardships to the Muslims - Muslims seem to be the ones who make it confusing!  May Allah give us all reasonable minds like Sister Jenni!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: Rose
Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 1:09pm

Bismillih Alrahman Alraheem 

"He only prohibits for you the eating of animals that die
of themselves (without human interference), blood, the
meat of pigs, and animals dedicated to other than GOD. If
one is forced (to eat these), without being malicious or
deliberate, he incurs no sin. GOD is Forgiver, Most
Merciful." [2:173]

It is a very long subject, but I know that as long as a person believes in a God what ever the religion, you are allowed to eat from the meat.

And only Allah nows best

-------------
A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom

Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 4:56pm
Thanks for your support ummziba and rose!!! And I think as far as halal is concerned in the U.s.a. and canada lamb and goat are better quality than beef and chicken. If I buy lamb or goat I definitly buy from the halal store. The feeding standards in the west in general for lamb and goat is much higher than beef and chicken. Also they are generally not injected with hormones. I think for beef and chicken if you can not be gauranteed that the halal meat is hormone free and not fed animal by products than free range or organic chicken or beef is a better choice. The feed for chickens and cattle is the worst!!! Also for anyone with kids I highly reccomend organic milk. At least milk that is rsbt(hormone free). Allah Pak only knows what the long term effect of this chemical will be on our kids!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 7:22am

Sis Jenni,

As I said before, there are two aspects of food being discussed here. One is from hygenic point of view and the other is religious point of view. The latter is superset of former point of view. That is to say that Islam calls for both halal and hygenic food to be the first choice. However, there are numerous situations where only one of the conditions can be met and yet a situation where none can be met. Islam, as stated in verse 2:173, provides complete flexability, depending upon the intentions of the individual, to choose whatever is within ones reach. Isalam has been made easy for us and all difficulties of the past have been removed from this ummah.

Having said this, personally speaking, I don't think, professor Sakr has any scholarly attributes to make things haram or halal, per say. Though he is an expert in food sciences as mentioned on the sound vision website "according to Ahmad Sakr, professor emeritus of Food Science", his suggestions or opinons may not be considered as authentic from the religious point of view, though I am not arguing over his views. The hygine of a slaughtered animal is obviously a foremost requirement and hence exists prior to the issue of halal or haram. Hence once this is settled, only then the issue of Dhabia or Halal comes in. I don't know how any superstore can ensure more hygenic meat than any local halal meat shop since their source of meat is same. Isn't it. Yes, if one can afford it, one may go to any lengths to ensure the kind of hygenic conditions they like to make for their consumption of meat, but then its more of scientific debate than a religious one.

Though I don't know from where this free range meat can be procured in USA, but how do someone ensure that free range animals are free from harmones etc since, I don't think, they come under any regulations for not doing so.

Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 8:24am
AhmadJoyia-The meat comes from smaller farms that feed the animals naturally, allow them to live in cleaner conditions and are not given hormones and routine antibiotics. The farms are open to the public and are monitered by various organizations like the humane society and others. The meat is not available in superstores but smaller health food stores and is significantly more expensive. The quality is far and away much better. A step higher is usda organic meat which is monitered by the government and even the feed of the animals has to be organic, the grass and grain.
If halal stores started carrying this meat I would buy it, but so far most of them don't. And what they have as far as beef and chicken are concerned is really the cheapest lowest quality meat available. How else could they sell it for so cheap and make a prophet. And it is not and issue of hygine only if an animal is fed animal by products and growth hormones it is not halal no matter how you slaughter it, I stand by that claim!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 12:21pm
Ok, Sis Jenni, I definitely need to know your line of reasoning when you say "And it is not and issue of hygine only if an animal is fed animal by products and growth hormones it is not halal no matter how you slaughter it, I stand by that claim!!" Seems to be an interesting claim. Can you provide some references along with some elaborations of your claim? Thanks.

Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 9:17pm

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00003729.aspx" target=_blank onclick="winOpen'resources/Questions/qa00003729.aspx' - Is it sufficient to pronounce the name of Allah (SWT) to make the meat lawful to consume?

http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00000437.aspx" target=_blank onclick="winOpen'resources/Questions/qa00000437.aspx' - Meat in the West

http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00001918.aspx" target=_blank onclick="winOpen'resources/Questions/qa00001918.aspx' - Is it disliked to eat chicken eggs if the chickens were �factory chickens� because of the treatment and what they are fed?

http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00001918.aspx -  

http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00000449.aspx" target=_blank onclick="winOpen'resources/Questions/qa00000449.aspx' - Supermarket Zabiha?    javascript ;" target=_blank onclick="winOpen'resources/Questions/qa00003729.aspx' -

-------------

[/COLOR]

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 19 July 2005 at 3:44pm

Assalamu laikum

Halal sabiha chicken:

halal chicken

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Date Posted: 20 July 2005 at 8:20am
Sis Nausheen, your post and references there in, though I do have some reservations about some of the opinons presented, doesn't provide any evidence in support of Sis Jenni's hypothesis, but against it. Am I correct?  

Date Posted: 20 July 2005 at 8:22am
Bro Semar, same way your Photo doesn't explain your position on the issue. Can you use some keys of keyboard to explain it? Thanks.

Date Posted: 20 July 2005 at 8:04pm

Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Sis Nausheen, your post and references there in, though I do have some reservations about some of the opinons presented, doesn't provide any evidence in support of Sis Jenni's hypothesis, but against it. Am I correct?  

I am not in support of eating non-halal meat, just because halal meat is not available. I would rather go on a vegetarian diet instead .... and this is what is being said in the references I have provided.

Anyone may or may not want to follow this norm, but I find it quite plausible, as there are hadith to the effect that one is not allowed to consume non-halal food unless s/he is on the brink of starvation - death, and there is no other food available accept the non-halal.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 21 July 2005 at 10:26am

Oh, I see. I thought you are commenting upon sis Jenni's hypothesis "....And it is not and issue of hygine only if an animal is fed animal by products and growth hormones it is not halal no matter how you slaughter it, I stand by that claim!!". Over here she has gone one step further in defining what is Halala as she thinks that Dhabia is just not a sufficient condition on the way of slaughter to declare it Halal. This is surprising to me and definitely like to hear something on it from anyone.

Date Posted: 21 July 2005 at 11:24am
pLEASE check soudvisions website at www.soundvision.com. Check under Halal meat is it really? There you can get the scholarly opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 July 2005 at 12:58pm

Kindly provide specific reference to the actual link of the web page as, I think, the website you refered does not provide any direct link to the "Halal meat is it really?".

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net