URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14396
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 1:42pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why pork is HARAM
Posted By: ronaldo_along
Subject: Why pork is HARAM
Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 9:31pm
Assalamualaikum,

I'm a muslim since I was born. I know pork is haram for muslim but why it is haram for muslim? and as far i know, jewish also avoid it. I know that there is something in the pork that harm to people. Can you guys give me more information about this? Just want to expand my knowledge here. I also want to know the story behind it. Why pig and dog is haram for muslim? Hope that you guys will help me. Thank you

Replies:
Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 9:51pm

Pork is haram because Allah say so, and we believe there something wise behind it, even though we may or may not know what it is, because we have limited knowledge. Maybe in the future when our knowledge and technology getting much more advance we might able to understand the real wisdom behind it. Below video might the reason why pork is haram:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5kek3D-4I - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5kek3D-4I

However, no matter the above video correct or not we are not suppose to eat pork.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Posted By: ronaldo_along
Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 10:27pm
Assalamualaikum,

Thank you semar for the information. Actually I already watched the video long time ago and I also never ever consume pork for my entire life. Right now I want to know how pig and dog forbidden for muslim unless for the emergency time? I had heard from someone that there is a story about this two animal in Noah A.S time. If you know the story can you tell me please. Thank you

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 18 March 2009 at 2:46am
Dogs are forbidden is certain ways and not others.. they are just animals that serve a purpose.. just as you should not eat pigs etc..  but they exist and have their place in the world.

For instance, i can touch my sister's dogs.. i just need to have clean clothes and do wudu before i pray if i touch the saliva.. people can have 'seeing eye dogs'. I have heard Muslims call dogs 'the devil' which seems a bit overboard.. 

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 18 March 2009 at 3:38am
As Salamu Alaikum

Life is a test for a believer. So Allah swt created Haram{forbidden} and Halal {permissible}. Things that are haram are haram and that which are halal are halal. We creators have no right to convert it or give rulings for haram into halal , vice versa.{Except the conditions underwhich they are permissible}

Anyways, Ronaldo, you asked this with a good intention to expand knowledge, Insha Allah, it shall also help our readers as well  to know as why the forbidden things in Islam, hold good for its followers. For instance, the scientific study, gives us these facts of Pork.

The medical science finds that there is a risk for various diseases the pig is found to be a host for many parasites and potential diseases. Swine and pigs have over a dozen parasites within them, such as tapeworms, flukes, worms, and trichinae. There is no safe temperature at which pork can be cooked to ensure that all these parasites, their cysts,and eggs will be killed

Further,  a pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck for it does not have a neck; that is according to its natural anatomy. A Muslim reasons that if the pig was to be slaughtered and fit for human consumption the Creator would have provided it with a neck.  

The pig 's biochemistry excretes only 2% of its total uric acid content, the remaining 98% remains as an integral part of the body. Also as everyone knows that swine(pig) eats its own excretion, which means that of all the uric acid and the other waste products excreted, most of it goes back inside again. 

I don't know of the story during Noah AS.

May Allah swt help us to follow His deen and steadfast us in it. Ameen

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Posted By: Saladin
Date Posted: 18 March 2009 at 9:24am
Originally posted by ronaldo_along ronaldo_along wrote:

Assalamualaikum,

Thank you semar for the information. Actually I already watched the video long time ago and I also never ever consume pork for my entire life. Right now I want to know how pig and dog forbidden for muslim unless for the emergency time? I had heard from someone that there is a story about this two animal in Noah A.S time. If you know the story can you tell me please. Thank you

Wa alaikumsalaam,

Ronaldo, Whatever Allah has made haraam or halaal is actually for our own good. Pork is haram cuz the harms from consuming it highly outweighs any benefits (supposing there is). But Allah created all life forms for a purpose and that is "for us". We need all of them, they dont need us. There's atleast one thing about the pig that may benefit us. This is quite interesting....

Pig heart boon for cardiac patients

John Mary

November 27, 2004

A Kerala meat products company has decided to lend heart patients a helping hand -- with pig hearts.

The gesture of the state-owned Meat Products of India has come as a boon to thousands of heart patients in need of valve replacement who would no longer have to import either mechanical heart valves that cost Rs 50,000 or tissue valves from calves or pigs which cost about Rs 45,000.

The indigenously supplied pig heart valve would cost just Rs 20,000, including the expenses for de-cellularisation, necessary to pre-empt rejection by the human body.

The meat products company on Thursday agreed to supply pig hearts free of cost to the Chennai-based International Centre for Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Diseases. Dr K.M. Cherian, the head of the international centre, signed an agreement with the company which also agreed to supply pig ureters for replacing damaged blood vessels in diabetic patients.

Under the project, a pig heart valve and ureter-harvesting unit would function at the meat factory at Koothattukulam in Kottayam. The valves and ureters would be cryo-preserved (preserved in extreme ly low temperatures) and transferred to the International Centre for Bio-medical Sciences, Chennai, the research wing of the cardiac centre, for de-cellularisation.

Cherian, who visited the factory last month, expressed satisfaction with its hygiene standards and collected 12 pig valves for experiments.

Robert Bruce Karp, an international expert on transplantation of de-cellularised pig ureters and professor of surgery at Alabama and Chicago Universities, praised the agreement as a great initiative for indigenous use of resources.

Sources said the agreement between the meat factory and the cardiac centre could help thousands of rheumatic heart patients irrespective of their religion. Even in the case of Muslims, for whom pork is haram (forbidden), clear edicts have been issued by scholars regarding animal implants.

Doha-based Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi has issued a fatwa saying necessity overrules prohibitions. "Basically, transplanting an organ from an impure animal such as a pig to a human body must not be resorted to, save in case of necessity," he said.

"In such a case, it can be argued that what is forbidden with respect to pigs is consuming their meat as stated in the Quran. However, transplanting a part from it to a human body is not consumption but falls under the category of making use of this part. The Prophet has permitted the use of some part of it -- its skin. Then, if it is permitted to make use of some part of dead animals, then it is also permissible, by analogy, to make use of pigs in things other than consumption."

Prominent Muslim scholar Mufti Ebrahim Desai added: "If there is almost certain fear of loss of life or danger of losing a limb or organ, and the replacement is only found in haram animals or in permissible animals (which can be eaten) but not slaughtered according to Islamic rites, then use of such a component is permissible."

The late Sheikh ibn Baz, an eminent Muslim scholar and former mufti of Saudi Arabia, was also of the view that if necessary, transplanting an organ from an animal not lawful for Muslim consumption is "permissible".

Copyright � 2002 The Telegraph.

-------------
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'

Posted By: Akhe Abdullah
Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 5:21am
As Salamu Alaikum, Ranaldo_Along.Pigs are haram because they are filthy,they have no veins if you were to put a pig in a snake pit the pig will eat all the snakes and would not be effected by their venom.They are lazy a will eat and eat till they vomit or defficate and also eat that too.they have a puss hole in their huff.I know plenty of so-called Christians who eat pork and the Bilbe says not to eat the flesh of swine,but they say to me its ok if you pray first,"misled again they are" Allah only permits it for us if it is the only food we can eat besides starving to death witch would be suicide.

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 26 April 2009 at 6:30am
I dont think its true that pigs dont have viens. . . all mammals do.

Semar is right. . . we muslims simply dont eat pork - because Allah has commanded us not to - simple.

For more information, here is an excerpt from Dr. Zakir Naik's (medical doctor by profession, and student of comparitive religion) book :

Question:

Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?

Answer:

The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork prohibited in Qur�an

The Qur�an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places.

It is prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

�Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine,

and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah.�

[Al-Qur�an 5:3]

The above verses of the Holy Qur�an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible

The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus

�And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you�.

�Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch,

they are unclean to you.� [Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy

�And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud,

it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their

dead carcass.� [Deuteronomy 14:8]

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases

The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various helminthes like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which is in lay man�s terminology called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long.

Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of  the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack, if it enters the eye it can cause blindness, if it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Trichura Tichurasis.

A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die.

In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from Trichura Tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ova present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth

The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In  the villages they don�t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour�s excreta.

To download entire book ( Answers to non-muslim's common questions about Islam) in pdf format, go to:
http://www.irf.net/irf/drzakirnaik/dznindex.htm - http://www.irf.net/irf/drzakirnaik/dznindex.htm

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Posted By: Nur_Ilahi
Date Posted: 28 April 2009 at 6:54am
If some people still do not believe that pork is indeed unhealthy for human consumption, I hope the latest virus will prove them wrong.

SWINE FLU!  Pig

If only it affects those people who consumed it, its okay, but it is also affecting people like us Muslims.

This is the result of not following God's commands. God's rules and commandments are a sign of His Love, His Mercy towards us His servants. If we disobey, we are not only being sinful, but we are also doing something against nature. If we obey, the benefits will return back to us.

Allah indeed is Al-Aleem. Most Knowing.

-------------
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.

Posted By: Salome
Date Posted: 28 April 2009 at 4:13pm
   Well then after reading this :
Different types of farm animals can carry different diseases. For example, cows and calves can carry the bacterium Escherichia coli O157:H7, often called E. coli (ee COH-lie). This germ can cause bloody diarrhea in people. In addition children can develop kidney failure due to E. coli 0157:H7 infection. Pigs can carry the bacterium Yersinia enterocolitica (yer-SIN-ee-ah en-TER-o-koh-LIH-tee-kuh), which causes the disease yersiniosis (yer-SIN-ee-OH-sis). Chickens can carry bacteria such as Salmonella, (sal �mon � Nell � ah) which causes the disease salmonellosis. Many of these germs are in farm animal manure.

We should all be vegetarian or Vegan

Salome

-------------
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been
the foresight to know where you're going
and the insight to know when you're going too far.

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 29 April 2009 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

If some people still do not believe that pork is indeed unhealthy for human consumption, I hope the latest virus will prove them wrong.

SWINE FLU!  Pig

If this is why pork is haram. How about bird flue, that came earlier and killed a lot of people too. So chicken should be haram too.

To me haram or halal is Allah's command, we should obey it based on this,  not based on their by products. Of course I believe there is wisdom behind it, however we should not juimp to a conlusion very quick from a certain event. When I was little my teacher told me that we can not eat pork because pigs had "tape worms", on that time tape worms were very dangerous creatures, but now days tape worms are "dissapear" from pigs.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Date Posted: 29 April 2009 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Salome Salome wrote:

Well then after reading this :
Different types of farm animals can carry different diseases. For example, cows and calves can carry the bacterium Escherichia coli O157:H7, often called E. coli (ee COH-lie). This germ can cause bloody diarrhea in people. In addition children can develop kidney failure due to E. coli 0157:H7 infection. Pigs can carry the bacterium Yersinia enterocolitica (yer-SIN-ee-ah en-TER-o-koh-LIH-tee-kuh), which causes the disease yersiniosis (yer-SIN-ee-OH-sis). Chickens can carry bacteria such as Salmonella, (sal �mon � Nell � ah) which causes the disease salmonellosis. Many of these germs are in farm animal manure.

We should all be vegetarian or Vegan

Salome

One can be completely vegan, or vegetarian - and still risk diseases. The recent peanut-salmonella scare? E.Coli in Spinach? Confused

We should never have deviated from natural/organic farming methods. . .

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 29 April 2009 at 7:12am
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

SWINE FLU!  Pig

If this is why pork is haram. How about bird flue that came first and killed a lot of people too. So chicken should be haram too.

To me haram or halal is Allah's command, we should obey it based on that not based on by product. Of course I believe some wisdom behind it, however we should not to come with a conlusion very quick from a certain event. When I was little my teacher told me we can not eat pork because we pigs have "tape worm" that on that time was very dangerous creature, but now days tape worms are "dissapear" from pigs.

I agree with Semar.

-------------

Posted By: Gibbs
Date Posted: 29 April 2009 at 9:47am

I disagree with some of the poster(s) for several reasons:

One poster said:

A Muslim reasons that if the pig was to be slaughtered and fit for human consumption the Creator would have provided it with a neck. 

I highly doubt God prohibits his followers to not eat a specific animal because it lacks this particular feature in its anatomy.

Another poster said:

Then also said:

If only it affects those people who consumed it, its okay, but it is also affecting people like us Muslims.

So obviously you cannot contract swine flu if you consume pork, therefore the above two remarks are wrong. Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza virus that regularly causes outbreaks of influenza in pigs (Center for Disease Control [CDC], 2009).

This is the result of not following God's commands.

This particular form of influenza has been around (and have been mutating) for quite some time.

Date Posted: 29 April 2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

I disagree with some of the poster(s) for several reasons:

One poster said:

A Muslim reasons that if the pig was to be slaughtered and fit for human consumption the Creator would have provided it with a neck. 

I highly doubt God prohibits his followers to not eat a specific animal because it lacks this particular feature in its anatomy.

Hello Gibbs.

Welcome to IC,

You know this science behind slaughtering ?

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14614&PN=1 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14614&PN=1

By this method of slaughtering , all the impurities are let out, while we cannot slaught a pig.

Another poster said:

Then also said:

So obviously you cannot contract swine flu if you consume pork, therefore the above two remarks are wrong. Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza virus that regularly causes outbreaks of influenza in pigs (Center for Disease Control [CDC], 2009).

This particular form of influenza has been around (and have been mutating) for quite some time.

Am sure, this sister, would delete her post. Moreover, she was corrected by Semar.

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 30 April 2009 at 8:16am
Hi Gibbs,
Welcome to IC

Perhaps if this animal is not reared in full scale, there is a possibility that whatever viruses that are in them would not have spread so far and wide.

By the way, I read this interesting article about this latest pandemic. Noting that our world is led by evil conspirators, I have no reason not to believe this. Anyway it is up to individual opinion.

(NaturalNews) Perhaps due to the genetic makeup of the fast-spreading H1N1 strain of influenza -- which includes genetic elements from bird flu, swine flu and human flu spanning three continents -- there is considerable speculation that the origins of this virus are man-made.

It's not an unreasonable question to ask: Could world governments, spooked by the prospect of radical climate change caused by over-population of the planet, have assembled a super-secret task force to engineer and distribute a super virulent strain of http://www.naturalnews.com/influenza.html - influenza designed to "correct" the http://www.naturalnews.com/human_population.html - human population (and institute global Martial Law)?

Technically, it's possible. The U.S. military, all by itself, has the know-how to engineer and unleash such a virus. That doesn't mean they've done so, however. It would be an astonishing leap into http://www.naturalnews.com/crimes_against_humanity.html - crimes against humanity to intentionally unleash such a biological weapon into the wild.

Then again, governments of the world have routinely engaged in crimes against humanity, haven't they? The U.S., for example, dropped nuclear bombs on civilian populations in Japan. Israel rained white phosphorous on Palestinians, Hitler exterminated countless Jews, and Americans fired millions of rounds of depleted uranium rounds into targets in Iraq and Afghanistan. Unleashing a viral biological weapon in Mexico City is no great leap beyond what governments have already done to achieve their goals.

Throughout human history, virtually all the great crimes against humanity have been carried out by governments -- mostly in the name of peace, prosperity and security, by the way. So let's be clear about one thing: Governments are certainly capable of doing this if properly motivated. Let there be no question about that.

Is there any hard evidence of laboratory origins?

As of this moment, I have not personally seen any conclusive evidence of laboratory origins for this H1N1 swine flu. I am open to the possibility that new evidence may emerge in this direction, however, and I am suspicious of the genetic http://www.naturalnews.com/makeup.html - makeup of the virus as one possible indicator of its origins.

I am not a medical specialist in the area of http://www.naturalnews.com/infectious_disease.html - infectious disease , but I have studied microbiology, genetics and a considerable amount of material on pandemics. What seems suspicious to me is the hybrid origin of the viral fragments found in H1N1 influenza. According to reports in the http://www.naturalnews.com/mainstream_media.html - mainstream media (which has no reason to lie about this particular detail), this strain of influenza contains viral code fragments from:

� Human influenza
� Bird Flu from North America
� Swine flu from Europe
� Swine flu from Asia

This is rather astonishing to realize, because for this to have been a natural combination of viral fragments, it means an infected bird from North http://www.naturalnews.com/America.html - America would have had to infect pigs in Europe, then be re-infected by those some pigs with an unlikely cross-species mutation that allowed the bird to carry it again, then that bird would have had to fly to http://www.naturalnews.com/Asia.html - Asia and infected pigs there, and those Asian pigs then mutated the virus once again (while preserving the European swine and http://www.naturalnews.com/bird_flu.html - bird flu elements) to become human transmittable, and then a human would have had to catch that virus from the Asian pigs -- in Mexico! -- and spread it to others. (This isn't the only explanation of how it could have happened, but it is one scenario that gives you an idea of the complexity of such a thing happening).
http://www.naturalnews.com/026141.html

-------------
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.

Date Posted: 30 April 2009 at 8:45am
Seekshidayath thank you for the link as well as welcoming me to the forum. But even with the slaughter of cows and other animals that are permissible in Islam, there is no guarantee that all impurities are let out of the body even if the blood has exited the body. there are certain pathogens (i.e. bacteria) that are indeed in the deep tissues of the animal animal that requires the meat to be cooked at a certain temparture, which, according to your previous statements I'm sure you are aware of. but then again, I'm not too knowledgable as to how exactly this process is in the Muslim meat markets so I'll stop there, but thanks for the read.

Date Posted: 30 April 2009 at 5:18pm
    In speaking to my husband he looked up the H1N1, this happen to also be in the great spanish flu epidemic in the early 1900's. This at the time was the deadliest plague in history.

The world had struggled through four years of terrible warfare. But now it was over, the threat was removed and mankind was safe again. But not for long. For in the middle of 1918 a new killer was silently spreading it�s way through people�s lives. It started out as a simple case of the flu. But it worsened, until it became deadly. It would do its work with lethal efficiency. Often the victim would be dead within hours of contracting the http://www.essortment.com/all/spanishflu_reiz.htm#">disease

. The virus would cause the body to hemorrhage, the http://www.essortment.com/all/spanishflu_reiz.htm#">lungs would fill with liquid and the http://www.essortment.com/all/spanishflu_reiz.htm# - - patient would drown in their own fluids.

The Spanish Flu actually originated in Tibet in 1917. As the armies of various nations moved across the continents the flu spread with them. Before long cases were showing up in Europe. When it hit France, it changed its character, becoming malignant as it was contracted by African soldiers who had been recruited into the French army.

After establishing a stronghold in France, the flu moved into Spain. Spain was a neutral player in the First World War. For that reason it had no need to censor the illness from its people in order to keep them focused on the war effort. The Spanish press, then, fully documented the illness, along with its terrible life taking effects on the human body.

The fever would affect a person in the following way:

a
(1) high fevers, shivers, coughs, muscular http://www.essortment.com/all/spanishflu_reiz.htm# - - pain and sore throat,

(2) Tiredness and dizzy spells

(3) Loss of strength to the point of not being able to eat or http://www.essortment.com/all/spanishflu_reiz.htm# - - drink without assistance

(4) Difficulty in breathing

(5) Death

The Epidemic spread quickly around the earth. In all, some 525 million people were infected by the virus, with about 21 million people dying. That was more than twice the number who had been killed during the Great War. In many countries public gatherings were forbidden. The Flu was especially devastating on many people as they welcomed back their men from the war, overjoyed that they had managed to survive the slaughter that was the war. But their joy soon turned to grief when they found out that their men had brought the virus back with them, and it would not only kill them but also other family members.

The Spanish flu struck the United States with a vengeance. In fact, over a quarter of all Americans were hit with the virus. In New York City alone some 33,000 people died. In San Diego, California city officials imposed the precaution that everyone had to wear gauze masks when within the city of San Diego. Masks of four-ply surgical gauze which were tied around the http://www.essortment.com/all/spanishflu_reiz.htm# - - mouth and nose were given out to all residents of the city. Not surprisingly, the law was less than popular with the local citizenry. Holes would be cut in the masks to enable people to smoke. Women would wear the masks as a veil, letting them hang loose around their necks. Civil libertarians fought the law on the grounds that it was unconstitutional. The penalty for disregarding the law was a fine of one hundred dollars and thirty days in jail.

President Woodrow Wilson himself contracted a mild dose of the flu while he was in Paris working out the details of the Treaty of Versailles. It is believed that if Wilson had not been so ill, the Treaty conditions would not have been so harsh and the Second World War may have been averted.

An unusual aspect of the Spanish flu was that, rather than attacking those with weak immunity systems, it tended to target the young and healthy members of society. This was a complete reversal of the normal pattern with http://www.essortment.com/all/spanishflu_reiz.htm# - - influenza , which normally attacked the old, the infirm and the young. But now it was those in the prime of life who were being targeted. These were the people who were responsible for the day-to-day organizational matters of people�s daily lives. With them felled by illness, it must have seemed that society was falling apart.

As quickly as the Spanish Flu came to plague mankind it disappeared. It briefly reappeared in March 1919. This time, however, the world was better prepared and the virus could be quarantined. Again it disappeared after inflicting a rapid death toll. The world was glad to see the back of it.

Salome

-------------

Posted By: AhmadJoyia
Date Posted: 30 April 2009 at 10:41pm
Well I am thinking as to why the originator is enquiring about the pigs and dogs only? why not asked similar questions about other beasts out there in the Jungles? This is especially interesting because they have not been mentioned in Quran and yet we, the humans, don't eat them. One thought could be that these animals are not as easily be domesticated or breeded as the pigs are. Therefore, Allah provided explicit instructions about the pigs and not about other animals. However, one must note that the prohibition is for eating its meat only. But most Muslims, including myself, stigmatise the animal to great extremes, which I think is not the right thing to do.

Date Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:51pm
    Well I don't know where you live at, but I currently live in Vermont USA and there aren't very many jungles here........LOL    
     I'm sorry I couldn't resist, please forgive me.Embarrassed

Salome

-------------

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 01 May 2009 at 8:36pm
Asalaamu alaikum:
I have been reading this thread with great interest, I also have found an interesting article at http://www.geocities.com/porkfatal/

Here is an excerpt:'"  Luk was with a team of medical students doing a research project on the effects of diet on stomach and intestinal diseases such as trichinosis.  The research team�s method was to go to the hospitals and dissect corpses for autopsies. They based their studies on the diets of the various ethnic communities in the region.  Their research uncovered the finding of the ethnic community with the highest percentage of cases with the trichinella spiralis worm belonged to a race that had pork as its main staple diet.  Their research data showed a remarkably low percentage of Jews and Moslems with the trichinella spiralis worm in their bodies.  It is significant that these two ethnic communities exclude pork and other biblically unclean meats in their diet.:

And getting back to the subject, Swine flu, no you cannot catch this by eating swine, but you can catch other nasty diseases. Click on the link and read for yourself.

Actually, the flu is only called swine flu because it had been found at one time in Swine in another part of the world. When an "A" designated  virus mutates and enters into another species and then is transmitted back it brings with it an ability to outwit the original species in which it  initially existed. Hence the increased reports of death. You have more deaths related in a year to the ill effects of eating swine than to catching the flu virus  that is associated with it. You have a greater chance of picking the virus up from air transmission than you do eating it. And, wash that nasty telephone at work! You never know who is breathing on it!
This virus on the average can only live 2 hours on a dead surface. Washing hands, cover your nose when you sneeze or cough, stay out of densely populated contained areas such as a small enclosed trolley, open your windows and air out your house. And wash and wash your hands again, and if you are sick do not go to work!

So please stay healthy so that I do not get called into an emergency nurses meeting because some bug becomes pandemic. Alhamdullillah, the only thing that can get across the us-mexico border right now is the traficonarcoticos...maybe they dreamed this up to keep La Migra busy. All I know is that I am stuck here and can not go home and my husband is there on the rancho and I am stuck here in town with my mother in law and 2 sons for company. Inshallah all will remain healthy and this scare will pass....

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 02 May 2009 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Salome Salome wrote:

Well I don't know where you live at, but I currently live in Vermont USA and there aren't very many jungles here........LOL    
     I'm sorry I couldn't resist, please forgive me.Embarrassed

Salome

Thanks bro for letting us know, otherwise your Avtar doesn't seem to relate you from anywhere on the earth.

Date Posted: 02 May 2009 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by mariyah mariyah wrote:

Asalaamu alaikum:
I have been reading this thread with great interest, I also have found an interesting article at http://www.geocities.com/porkfatal/

Waalaikum salam Mariyah.

I hope you and family are fine and are not affected by this virus.

Does this pandemic affects your economy? When SARS happened, it really did affect our economy in Singapore. Shops at hospital buildings were the worst off because not many people would want to go there. Even shopping centres were quite quiet cos people are scared to be affected with these viruses.

Originally posted by wrote:

All I know is that I am stuck here and can not go home and my husband is there on the rancho and I am stuck here in town with my mother in law and 2 sons for company. Inshallah all will remain healthy and this scare will pass....  

InshaAllah, we will make du'a for you and family there.

Take Care Sis.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2009 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Seekshidayath thank you for the link as well as welcoming me to the forum. But even with the slaughter of cows and other animals that are permissible in Islam, there is no guarantee that all impurities are let out of the body even if the blood has exited the body. there are certain pathogens (i.e. bacteria) that are indeed in the deep tissues of the animal animal that requires the meat to be cooked at a certain temparture, which, according to your previous statements I'm sure you are aware of. but then again, I'm not too knowledgable as to how exactly this process is in the Muslim meat markets so I'll stop there, but thanks for the read.

Hello Gibbs,

Yes, there is no guarantee that Islamic slaughter will remove all impurities 100% - other factors are involved too, rearing conditions, hygenic enviornment, utensils etc etc. If animals have been given steroids or other drugs, residue is left in organs ... One also has to cook meat properly, like you suggested etc

However, the Islamic & Judaic slaughter methods do reduce the risk of impurities in body to a great degree - by letting out blood (medium for germs).

Apart from the impurity (blood-letting) factor - Islamic Slaughter is also relatively humane, with lesser pain. Prophetic Traditions give various guidelines e.g. not slaughtering one animal in front of another, providing it good conditions before slaughter, i.e shade, food, water etc.

Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 9:16am
Thanks Chrysalis for the added clarification!

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 3:10pm
The debate about prohibition of pork is as old as the divine scriptures and there has been no definitive and unequivocal position accepted by the majority of humanity...It matters not if the pigs life style is filthy or it's flesh contains some factors of Trichinosis, this will not keep pork lovers from its consumption as long as they cook it well enough...Even Buddhist won't stop with knowledge that their Buddha died of pork related illness...With modern farming and assembly line delivery systems in the scientifically aware countries, with food regulations the lack of pig's cleanliness becomes less of an issue...
So what is core issue? I think it is love of the pork and and other products  are part and parcel of materialistic thinking....

Bacon mania

The United States has seen an increase in popularity of bacon and bacon related recipes, dubbed " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_mania - bacon mania ". Dishes such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_explosion - bacon explosion , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fried_bacon - chicken fried bacon , and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_covered_bacon - chocolate covered bacon have been popularized over the internet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-9 - , as has using candied bacon. Recipes spread quickly through the national media, culinary blogs, and YouTube. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-cook-10 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-11 - Restaurants are organizing bacon and beer tasting nights, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-12 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times - The New York Times reported on bacon infused with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_whiskey - Irish whiskey used for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patricks_Day - Saint Patrick's Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail - cocktails , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-13 - and celebrity chef http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Flay - Bobby Flay has endorsed a "Bacon of the Month" club online, in print, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-14 - and on national television. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-15 -

Commentators explain this surging interest in bacon by reference to what they deem American cultural characteristics. Sarah Hepola, in a 2008 article in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon.com - Salon.com , suggests a number of reasons, one of them that eating bacon in the modern, health-conscious world is an act of rebellion: "Loving bacon is like shoving a middle finger in the face of all that is healthy and holy while an unfiltered cigarette smolders between your lips." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-bacon_mania-16 - She also suggests bacon is sexy (with a reference to Sarah Katherine Lewis' book Sex and Bacon), kitsch, and funny. Hepola concludes by saying that "Bacon is American":

Bacon is our national meat. The pig is not an elegant animal, but it is smart and resourceful and fated to wallow in mud. A scavenger. A real scrapper.

Alison Cook, writing in the Houston Chronicle (she calls bacon "democratic"), concurs, arguing the case of bacon's American citizenship by referring to historical and geographical uses of bacon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon#cite_note-cook-10 - Early American literature echoes the sentiment�in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Cooke - Ebenezer Cooke 's 1708 poem The Sot-Weed Factor, a satire of life in early colonial America, the narrator already complains that practically all the food in America was bacon-infused:

What is meant by a colloquial expression "bring home the bacon" and have honey baked ham ordered on holidays should tell you where does the American or the western culture sit at...vis- a-vis scriptural edicts! The bacon stands for money...and together a rebellion against god...
While observing the current sub prime driven banking worldwide financial rip off by the American investment banksters some thing very poignant came into view ........
The pig is representative symbol of the banking system and they finally smashed the kids piggy bank and the people are wondering what happened and we have a same porkers President who is trying to stuff the banks with more of fiat money to be paid by the children and their children taxes just like a swine will consume its young if need be!
Beside flesh of swine God has strongly prohibited the usury(interest) in all of his scriptures!

But the western banking system i.e.,PIG which has been building up since the time immemorial but faster since the rise of the western colonial world with the combined efforts of the Judeo Christian powers controlled by the Jewish Banking Cabal. Most Jews particularly the reformed go for pork with gusto too...
They had been fattening this pig and its branches for a long time and then they have run away with the bacon after slaughtering it last year..The way pig grows the same way the fractional banking system ( a big subject by itself)grows and that is the main reason the interest system run by such system is haram....cuz they go hand in hand... a person collecting usury will hate giving of Zakat that is a core pillar for the Islamic system... This is one of the reason Islamic world is in trouble and anyone challenging the western banking will be run out of town by the colonial agents who are filling their pork barrels while being so called Muslims...
It is a recent phenomena that Muslims have forced their dietary laws into Euro American scene but the with Pork laden banking system overwhelms most of  Islamic life style cuz it is so pervading and ubiquitous in it's toxic effects that after while just watching dietary rules become moot!

When things go bad it is just misery and nothing else, you can see the world's poor that includes US too who thought the world banking will help them, they are suffering big time...
I won't go in more detail for brevity. It is already too long that I was afraid of...The nature of this animal!!!

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 18 May 2009 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

This is especially interesting because they have not been mentioned in Quran Therefore, Allah provided explicit instructions about the pigs and not about other animals.
As Salamu Alaikum AhmadJoyia,The Holy Quran does mention many animals that are not Halal,such as scavangers,rats,birds of prey.Allah Ta ala says that we shouldnt go near the pigs.

Date Posted: 18 May 2009 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

I dont think its true that pigs dont have viens. . . all mammals do.
As Salamu Alaikum Sister Chrysalis,excuse me all for my misinformation I was going off of memory I said veins I should have said sweat glands in wich they cant release toxins in there body threw sweat it comes out as puss threw a hole in there huff.

Date Posted: 22 May 2009 at 8:25am
Thanks bro Akhe for the correction, however, I simply talked about "explicitly". Other than pork, I don't know if any other animal is 'explicitly' mentioned in Quran for being haaram. Can you guide me in this? Thanks again.

Posted By: Gulliver
Date Posted: 22 May 2009 at 12:46pm

Bon swarrrrrrrr mes amis. I'm back ;-) Been away for a while.

Now Miss Budgie. What's this about not slaughtering an innocent little animal infront of another innocent little animal ? Might traumatise and terrorise the poor little things. It shouldn't if those lovely creatures were intended for slaughter and human consumption.  I am appalled. I thought you were vegan. You carnivores are all utterly depraved and evil. Murdering and munching on God's wonderful creatures. Shame, shame, shame.  I hope a big ET comes down one day and devours all the human carnivores on the planet. Oh, the omnivores too. Let's not be exclusive.

Learn to do what I do. Live on fresh air :-)

Are there any links to pig meat and cancer ? Specifically prostate cancer.

I had little skin lesion on my temple for two years, and discovered one on the upper back recently. Doc said were solar keratoses - and are pre cancerous if not treated. Burned off with liquid nitrogen and hopefully that's them gone. My Muslim friend said, "I kept telling you to stop eating bacon and sausages and how good it is for your skin not to eat pigs, cause they eat their own s.hhhht and everything." He's obsessed with shhhhht. Had me laughing.  I said the sun cause these things, not pigs- even shhhhhh eating pigs.  We rarely see the sun here anyway and I was never a sun worshipper. Blue eyes, very fair skin and hair. I burned too easily, so stayed out of it.

So if I give up my big morning fry ups, will my skin improve ? Actually I don't eat the stuff that often - bacon and sausages that is.

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 23 May 2009 at 5:04pm
So if I give up my big morning fry ups, will my skin improve ? Actually I don't eat the stuff that often - bacon and sausages that is.

Well maybe you could do a study and find out...  Smile

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: Gulliver
Date Posted: 24 May 2009 at 6:31am

I just might try that :-)

I'd become a vegetarian if possible. If a little, or even a BIG spider crawls up the bath plug I won't kill it. I take it up and leave it outside. I think, "there is no scientist who can give life to this marvellous little creature, and I have no right to destroy it."

Then I think of all those animals, killed 'humanely' that we eat. We are such hypocrites don't you think.

Date Posted: 28 May 2009 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

I don't know if any other animal is 'explicitly' mentioned in Quran for being haaram. Can you guide me in this? Thanks again.
As Salamu Alaikum,AhmadJoyia.It is unlawful to eat lions, tigers,dogs,cats,vultures or any other animals with claws,fangs to kill there prey or animals that eat dead animals.

Date Posted: 16 June 2009 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

Wa alaikumsalaam,

Ronaldo, Whatever Allah has made haraam or halaal is actually for our own good. Pork is haram cuz the harms from consuming it highly outweighs any benefits (supposing there is). But Allah created all life forms for a purpose and that is "for us". We need all of them, they dont need us. There's atleast one thing about the pig that may benefit us. This is quite interesting....

Pig heart boon for cardiac patients

John Mary

November 27, 2004

A Kerala meat products company has decided to lend heart patients a helping hand -- with pig hearts.

The gesture of the state-owned Meat Products of India has come as a boon to thousands of heart patients in need of valve replacement who would no longer have to import either mechanical heart valves that cost Rs 50,000 or tissue valves from calves or pigs which cost about Rs 45,000.

The indigenously supplied pig heart valve would cost just Rs 20,000, including the expenses for de-cellularisation, necessary to pre-empt rejection by the human body.

The meat products company on Thursday agreed to supply pig hearts free of cost to the Chennai-based International Centre for Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Diseases. Dr K.M. Cherian, the head of the international centre, signed an agreement with the company which also agreed to supply pig ureters for replacing damaged blood vessels in diabetic patients.

Under the project, a pig heart valve and ureter-harvesting unit would function at the meat factory at Koothattukulam in Kottayam. The valves and ureters would be cryo-preserved (preserved in extreme ly low temperatures) and transferred to the International Centre for Bio-medical Sciences, Chennai, the research wing of the cardiac centre, for de-cellularisation.

Cherian, who visited the factory last month, expressed satisfaction with its hygiene standards and collected 12 pig valves for experiments.

Robert Bruce Karp, an international expert on transplantation of de-cellularised pig ureters and professor of surgery at Alabama and Chicago Universities, praised the agreement as a great initiative for indigenous use of resources.

Sources said the agreement between the meat factory and the cardiac centre could help thousands of rheumatic heart patients irrespective of their religion. Even in the case of Muslims, for whom pork is haram (forbidden), clear edicts have been issued by scholars regarding animal implants.

Doha-based Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi has issued a fatwa saying necessity overrules prohibitions. "Basically, transplanting an organ from an impure animal such as a pig to a human body must not be resorted to, save in case of necessity," he said.

"In such a case, it can be argued that what is forbidden with respect to pigs is consuming their meat as stated in the Quran. However, transplanting a part from it to a human body is not consumption but falls under the category of making use of this part. The Prophet has permitted the use of some part of it -- its skin. Then, if it is permitted to make use of some part of dead animals, then it is also permissible, by analogy, to make use of pigs in things other than consumption."

Prominent Muslim scholar Mufti Ebrahim Desai added: "If there is almost certain fear of loss of life or danger of losing a limb or organ, and the replacement is only found in haram animals or in permissible animals (which can be eaten) but not slaughtered according to Islamic rites, then use of such a component is permissible."

The late Sheikh ibn Baz, an eminent Muslim scholar and former mufti of Saudi Arabia, was also of the view that if necessary, transplanting an organ from an animal not lawful for Muslim consumption is "permissible".

Copyright � 2002 The Telegraph.

As Salamu Alaikum

Was reading this hadith and thought to share here.
"Assuredly Allah did not provide a cure for you in what He has prohibited to you." (Reported by Al-Bukhari on the authority of Ibn Mas`ud.)

Anyways, scholars permit us under certain conditions like when life is in danger and there's no alternative, haraam is permissible only then.

-------------

Posted By: Nazarene
Date Posted: 24 June 2009 at 5:08pm
salaam
i believe the leaders of IRAN refuse to eat swine not because they believe it's haram . but because it seems they refuse to paractice in cannibalisum.
leland

-------------
love for all conquers all

Posted By: lateefah2000
Date Posted: 15 November 2013 at 4:24pm
pigs carry diseases, and if you eat it you'll probably catch the diseas from the pig.

dogs aren't haram
dogs are for guarding and hunting this is the only purpose to have a dog.

Posted By: Syed S
Date Posted: 25 November 2013 at 6:48am
Bro firstly it is not wise to even question the authority. Islam is not based on logic. There are some things which are beyond our understanding, so we need to follow them without any doubt.

Posted By: johnford
Date Posted: 20 December 2013 at 11:50am
Amin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net