Print Page | Close Window

Burden of Proof

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Interfaith Dialogue
Forum Description: It is for Interfaith dialogue, where Muslims discuss with non-Muslims. We encourge that dialogue takes place in a cordial atmosphere on various topics including religious tolerance.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14322
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 5:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Burden of Proof
Posted By: Apollos
Subject: Burden of Proof
Date Posted: 07 March 2009 at 1:30pm

In the religious realm, there is a long succession of people who while appealing to a previous belief system, announce that they have new and better knowledge that improves or replaces its predecessor. Starting with Jews and the Bible, one can follow this road from Christians to Gnostics to Islam, Mormonism, Bahai, Jehovah�s Witnesses, Christian Science and others.

One distinction in this succession is that Jesus recognized the burden of proof that was required to justify the new �truths� He was revealing. Others have simply claimed that they had a new revelation without accepting the burden of proof. Another distinction with Jesus is that He did not challenge what the Bible said. He claimed to fulfill it in fact and said that God�s Word (the Tanach or Old Testament) would not pass away until all be fulfilled. He only had two areas where His teaching actually differed from what the average Jew believed at that time and He told His disciples to listen to what the Priests and Scribes said � but not follow their hypocritical practices. (The two differences Jesus had with the Jewish leadership were � the idea that the Law could not be accomplished by human efforts and, the Messiah would be God�s Son who would suffer and die for their failure to satisfy the Law.)

It is interesting that in the Bible the first one to challenge God�s Word was Satan and he claimed the same thing that many others have echoed since then: �Has God really said such and such? No he hasn�t, just listen to me. You won�t die if you do!� He offered no reason to Eve that he should be trusted rather than God. It seems that humans since that time still don�t need much reason to abandon God�s Word for the word of someone else. But there should be a reason to trust someone new - especially when that person wants us to reject what we believe God has said in the past. On the one hand they want us to grant them the respect that belongs to a fellow believer but on the other hand, they want us to reject our beliefs. Why would we grant them the status they want?

If this isn�t sinking in, let me illustrate: Someone comes up with a unique belief that was never believed before and they claim the Bible substantiates their authority to have this unique belief. If that is true, it would give them some credibility, right? On the other hand, part of their unique belief is that the Bible can�t be trusted! This is not just a circular argument, it is a self-stultifying one. The picture it conveys is someone sitting on a tree limb while they are sawing that limb off.

There are lots of variations on this presumptive illogical claim. Maybe you have heard some yourself:

"Christianity started out right, but then - according to my standards � it failed to do what it was supposed to do. Since the very things I'm asserting were wrong are evident, and since these are the things my group does right, it's obvious that my group is the restoration or replacement of true Christianity."

"Don't trust anyone but us."

"If you let us interpret the Bible for you, we'll show you that we alone are right."  

I stated that Jesus accepted the burden of proof when He came. He performed miracles, fulfilled hundreds of Old Testament prophecies and then � after being killed � rose from the dead. Moses demonstrated some credentials with the signs God provided but Jesus performed greater miracles and He said Moses foretold His coming. Other Old Testament prophets exhibited credentials from God and Jesus exceeded their works as He fulfilled the prophecies they gave.

So - when Jesus presumes to tell people what Moses really meant, we should listen. When a mere human with lesser credentials (e.g.- Mohammed) presumes to tell us what Jesus really said or meant, why should we listen to them?

Apollos

Replies:
Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 07 March 2009 at 6:03pm

Salam/Peace,

For Muslims it's very simple. The Quran is beyond any existing book. The beauty of the rhyme (the arabic) in conjunction that with the content that there is any doubt or contradiction, is not comparable with anything else on earth.

That's why Umar ibn Khattab one of the earliest Prophet companioning, was accept Islam just after he listened her sister recite the Quran, on that time he came to her house to kill her, because he as the Qurays leader was shame her sister become Prophet Muhammad PBUH follower.

So we as muslim anything is not in-line with the Quran is not correct, this the ultimate requirement for Muslim to judge other books.

Here one of the surah/chapter in the Quran that said that God doesn't have son or daughter, listen yourselves how the beauty of the verses:

http://www.islamicity.com/islamitv/?ref=4084 - Al-Ikhlas (The Purity) 112: 1-4 ( click here to listen)  

Mohammad Asad Translation:

112:1 SAY: "He is the One God:
112:2 "God the Eternal, the Uncaused Cause of All Being.
112:3 "He begets not, and neither is He begotten;
112:4 "and there is nothing that could be compared with Him.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Date Posted: 07 March 2009 at 8:22pm

Semar,

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately I do not share your feeling about these verses. Independent of the teaching it proclaims, the words and style do not seem beautiful to me. They are in fact lacking of any beauty, poetry or interesting literary style to me. I will admit that I do not read Arabic and even if I did, it would be a second language so I might be missing something in this English translation. Because of this I offer two responses:

One � this type of subjective response is exactly what I was referring to in my initial post. Instead of accepting the burden of proving that the Quran is a revelation from God, you provide a �proof� that anyone can say about any writing. Literary beauty is too subjective to be a proof of divine inspiration.

Two � If literary beauty were the evidence of divine inspiration I would argue that the Old Testament Bible is superior to all other books. Even when translated from the original Hebrew it captures profound thoughts and feelings. Do you not agree that the below example is beautiful?

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Apollos

Posted By: Nur_Ilahi
Date Posted: 08 March 2009 at 7:25am
Surah Arrahman - The Beneficient-Most Merciful

1. ((Allah)) Most Gracious!

2. It is He Who has taught the Qur'an.

3. He has created man:

4. He has taught him speech (and intelligence).

5. The sun and the moon follow courses (exactly) computed;

6. And the herbs and the trees - both (alike) bow in adoration.

7. And the Firmament has He raised high, and He has set up the Balance (of Justice),

8. In order that ye may not transgress (due) balance.

9. So establish weight with justice and fall not short in the balance.

10. It is He Who has spread out the earth for (His) creatures:

11. Therein is fruit and date-palms, producing spathes (enclosing dates);

12. Also corn, with (its) leaves and stalk for fodder, and sweet-smelling plants.

13. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?

14. He created man from sounding clay like unto pottery,

15. And He created Jinns from fire free of smoke:

16. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?

17. (He is) Lord of the two Easts and Lord of the two Wests:

18. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?

19. He has let free the two bodies of flowing water, meeting together:

20. Between them is a Barrier which they do not transgress:

21. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?

22. Out of them come Pearls and Coral:

23. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?

24. And His are the Ships sailing smoothly through the seas, lofty as mountains:

25. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?

26. All that is on earth will perish:

27. But will abide (for ever) the Face of thy Lord,- full of Majesty, Bounty and Honour.

28. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?

29. Of Him seeks (its need) every creature in the heavens and on earth: every day in (new) Splendour doth He (shine)!

30. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?

-------------
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 08 March 2009 at 1:04pm
Apollo, i would suspect that it won't get very far.. like here ismy proof' here is 'my proof' from someone else.Smile

it would be interesting for you or any person of religion to sit with my brother who believes in none of it..

i read many posts with Christians and Muslims argue back and forth. Each saying why there's is the 'true' way.

As a Muslim believe it or not, hearing the reciting of the Quran is not lyrical for me either.. then again i have  tin ear...lol.. some are quite beautiful.

we as people if we could just try to do good and treat each other with kindness, dignity and respect the world would be okay.  No matter the faith,if we could all treat each other, the creatures and the earth as sacred we;d be doing pretty good!

peace

javascript:winOpener%28forum_codes.asp,codes,1,1,550,400%29 -

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: Ron Webb
Date Posted: 08 March 2009 at 4:01pm

"Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies." -Ralph W. Emerson

-------------
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.

Date Posted: 08 March 2009 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Apollo, i would suspect that it won't get very far.. like here ismy proof' here is 'my proof' from someone else.Smile

it would be interesting for you or any person of religion to sit with my brother who believes in none of it..

i read many posts with Christians and Muslims argue back and forth. Each saying why there's is the 'true' way.

As a Muslim believe it or not, hearing the reciting of the Quran is not lyrical for me either.. then again i have  tin ear...lol.. some are quite beautiful.

we as people if we could just try to do good and treat each other with kindness, dignity and respect the world would be okay.  No matter the faith,if we could all treat each other, the creatures and the earth as sacred we;d be doing pretty good!

peace

javascript:winOpener%28forum_codes.asp,codes,1,1,550,400%29 -

Hayfa,

I agree that one�s opinion about literary beauty in a particular writing isn�t productive and it is not an acceptable response to a �burden of proof�. That�s what I said in my second post when I illustrated this with an example from the Bible. So let�s return to the initial topic. Do Muslims agree that there is such a thing as �burden of proof� concerning the claims of Islam?

Apollos

Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 2:58am
Apollo wrote - Do Muslims agree that there is such a thing as �burden of proof� concerning the claims of Islam?

What does Islam claim?

That there is no other Power, no other Supreme Being, no other God who is worthy of worship than Allah - God the Creator of the whole universe.

Meaning what one sees in this world or in this vast universe, whether big or small, near or far, are just creations of the Creator. If one worship a creation of the Creator, one has no faith in a God who has the Power, the Will, The Knowledge, The Ever Living, The Hearing, The Sight, The Loving, The Majestic God who is the Creator of the Whole Universe.

If one worship a creation of the Creator, one is being ungrateful for the necessities of life that God The Creator had given us, especially the intellect or the brain that each and everyone of us possess.

Lailaha il Allah - There is no other God worthy of worship except Allah.

-------------
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.

Posted By: believer
Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 7:25am

Nur that is what the Bible claims.

No the burden of proof of what Islam claims:

the Quran is the Word of GOD
that Mohammad is a messanger of GOD

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Posted By: Mansoor_ali
Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Nur that is what the Bible claims.

No the burden of proof of what Islam claims:

the Quran is the Word of GOD
that Mohammad is a messanger of GOD

Yes Muhammad is a Prophet of God and he is mentioned in your Bible.

Former Roman Catholic Bishop of the Uniate Chaldean describes how Prophet Muhammad has been mentioned in Bible.
http://bible.islamicweb.com/ - http://bible.islamicweb.com/

Posted By: Servetus
Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 3:47pm
Hi Apollos,

Quote You wrote:  "So - when Jesus presumes to tell people what Moses really meant, we should listen ..."

Let�s analyze the first assertion of this momentarily truncated sentence, that we should listen to Jesus tell people what Moses really meant.  Here, then, is a single case in point:

Moses:              �If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.� (Lev 24:19)

Jesus:               �You have heard that it was said [by Moses], 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.� (Matt 5:38)

How can one, without contradiction, simultaneously observe, or obey, the law of Moses and the law of Jesus?  Can these two statements be reconciled?   If so, how?

Serv

Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 4:33pm
Good question, Servetus, but how do you reconcile the two statements?  Islam recognizes both Moses and Jesus as prophets, doesn't it?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 4:45pm

Welcome back, Ron!

I, on my own, have never been able to reconcile the two commandments (but do have something good-naturedly up my sleeve).  I have always considered this a prime example of the contradiction between the so-called Old and New Testaments, between Moses and Jesus, reported statements from the latter that he had not come to change but to �fulfill� the law notwithstanding.

Yes, as I understand, Islam recognizes both Moses and Jesus as prophets.

Serv

Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Servetus Servetus wrote:

Welcome back, Ron!
Smile I just stopped in to see what's going on.  Probably won't stay long, still pretty busy with work and things.

Quote I, on my own, have never been able to reconcile the two commandments (but do have something good-naturedly up my sleeve).

Okay, I'll bite: what's up your sleeve?

Quote I have always considered this a prime example of the contradiction between the so-called Old and New Testaments, between Moses and Jesus, reported statements from the latter that he had not come to change but to �fulfill� the law notwithstanding.
What Jesus actually said was: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matthew 5:17-18)

I have highlighted the two key phrases which make it clear (to me, anyway) that Jesus fulfilled the law, after which the law (or various laws) could and indeed did pass away.  Personally, when I was a Christian I pretty much ignored the Old Testament, because it was just too much at odds with Jesus's message.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 7:57am

Hi Apollos,

Quote You wrote:  "So - when Jesus presumes to tell people what Moses really meant, we should listen ..."

Let�s analyze the first assertion of this momentarily truncated sentence, that we should listen to Jesus tell people what Moses really meant.  Here, then, is a single case in point:

Moses:              �If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.� (Lev 24:19)

Jesus:               �You have heard that it was said [by Moses], 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.� (Matt 5:38)

How can one, without contradiction, simultaneously observe, or obey, the law of Moses and the law of Jesus?  Can these two statements be reconciled?   If so, how?

Serv

Servetus,

I will answer your question but I gather from your and other Muslim posts that you do not have an answer for my question. That is, you simply want to continue asserting that Islam is correct without accepting the burden of proof that is yours.

The example you gave is one of many that I alluded to. When Jesus says something that is different or seems different from previous commandments, we give Him the benefit of the doubt because of His credentials. And what do we find when we study His words? We find that He admitted His teachings were a �New Covenant� a �New Commandment� yet one that fulfilled the Law rather than abrogating it. Instead of relaxing the law He reinforced the underlying intent � being perfect as God is. A few of His statements on this are below.

Mat 5:17  Do not think that I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Mat 5:18  For truly I say to you, Till the heaven and the earth pass away, not one jot or one tittle shall in any way pass from the Law until all is fulfilled.

Mat 5:19  Therefore whoever shall relax one of these commandments, the least, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of Heaven. But whoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of Heaven.

Mat 5:20  For I say to you that unless your righteousness shall exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall in no case enter into the kingdom of Heaven.

Mat 5:21  You have heard that it was said to the ancients, "You shall not kill" --and, "Whoever shall kill shall be liable to the judgment."

Mat 5:22  But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be liable to the judgment. And whoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be liable to the sanhedrin; but whoever shall say, Fool! shall be liable to be thrown into the fire of hell.

Mat 5:27  You have heard that it was said to the ancients, "You shall not commit adultery."

Mat 5:28  But I say to you that whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Mat 5:29  And if your right eye offends you, pluck it out and throw it from you. For it is profitable for you that one of your members should perish, and not that your whole body should be thrown into hell.

Mat 5:30  And if your right hand offends you, cut it off and throw it from you. For it is profitable for you that one of your members should perish, and not that your whole body should be thrown into hell.

Mat 5:31  It was also said, Whoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a bill of divorce.

Mat 5:32  But I say to you that whoever shall put away his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery. And whoever shall marry her who is put away commits adultery.

Mat 5:33  Again, you have heard that it has been said to the ancients, "You shall not swear falsely, but you shall perform your oaths to the Lord."

Mat 5:34  But I say to you, Do not swear at all! Not by Heaven, because it is God's throne;

Mat 5:35  not by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet; not by Jerusalem, because it is the city of the great King;

Mat 5:36  nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black.

Mat 5:37  But let your word be, Yes, yes; No, no. For whatever is more than these comes from evil.

Mat 5:38  You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth."

Mat 5:39  But I say to you, Do not resist evil. But whoever shall strike you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

Mat 5:40  And to him desiring to sue you, and to take away your tunic, let him have your coat also.

Mat 5:41  And whoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him two.

Mat 5:42  Give to him who asks of you, and you shall not turn away from him who would borrow from you.

Mat 5:43  You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy."

Mat 5:44  But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who despitefully use you and persecute you,

Mat 5:45  so that you may become sons of your Father in Heaven. For He makes His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Mat 5:46  For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax-collectors do the same?

Mat 5:47  And if you greet your brothers only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax-collectors do so?

Mat 5:48  Therefore be perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.

The Jews - like you - objected to such audacious statements even when it was evident that Moses had sometimes announced God�s permissive will rather than God�s perfect will. They should have gotten this but they had forgotten that all of the Law and the Prophets hang on the fundamental commandment to love God and love our neighbor.

Mat 22:35  Then one of them, a lawyer, asked, tempting Him and saying,

Mat 22:36  Master, which is the great commandment in the Law?

Mat 22:37  Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.

Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment.

Mat 22:39  And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Mat 22:40  On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

If they had considered this they wouldn�t have had the following exchange:

Mat 19:3  And the Pharisees came to Him, tempting Him and saying to Him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

Mat 19:4  And He answered and said to them, Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning "made them male and female",

Mat 19:5  and said, For this cause a man shall leave father and mother and shall cling to his wife, and the two of them shall be one flesh?

Mat 19:6  Therefore they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.

Mat 19:7  They said to Him, Why did Moses then command to give a bill of divorce and to put her away?

Mat 19:8  He said to them, Because of your hard-heartedness Moses allowed you to put away your wives; but from the beginning it was not so.

Mat 19:9  And I say to you, Whoever shall put away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is put away commits adultery.

To summarize, if you had considered the underlying intent of God�s commands and knew a little about Middle Eastern culture, you would have realized that the commandment Moses gave in Leviticus was in keeping with loving thy neighbor. He did not utter this commandment in the context of a loving kind culture but one that expected an escalation of controversy and violence whenever someone was wronged. Moses wasn�t telling nice people to stand up for their rights and demand recompense for being harmed; He was telling evil people that they could not demand more than equal recompense for being wronged. It was this commandment that Jesus took to the next level when He said we should love those that do us wrong.

There is another important implication to your question. You know doubt think that puzzling statements by Jesus proves the New Testament or the Old Testament were originally different � where there would be no difference between the two. But if this was so, there is no reason Jesus should have come at all. There would be no reason for the Jews to reject His teachings, no reason for Him to have been condemned or crucified. Instead of Jesus creating the greatest change in how the Bible and Judaism were understood, we wouldn�t even know about Him. The fact that Jesus was a problem and a big one demonstrates that He was a controversial person. Instead of you being surprised that He said new and controversial things, you should expect that and try to understand what He meant and why He said these things.

Apollos

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Apollos Apollos wrote:

Moses wasn�t telling nice people to stand up for their rights and demand recompense for being harmed; He was telling evil people that they could not demand more than equal recompense for being wronged.
  Why should Moses told the evil people, they didn't believe him anyway. They would not do whatever he said.

There is another important implication to your question. You know doubt think that puzzling statements by Jesus proves the New Testament or the Old Testament were originally different � where there would be no difference between the two. But if this was so, there is no reason Jesus should have come at all. 

If so, it's no use to have old testament. So we can just abandon it, or assume there is none.

The fact that Jesus was a problem and a big one demonstrates that He was a controversial person.
So he was like our leaving president, na'uzubillah mindzalik

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:36pm
Originally From Apollos:
Moses wasn�t telling nice people to stand up for their rights and demand recompense for being harmed; He was telling evil people that they could not demand more than equal recompense for being wronged.

From Semar:
Why should Moses told the evil people, they didn't believe him anyway. They would not do whatever he said.

From Apollos:
I was simplifying the description here so let me restate this with different terms.

Moses wasn�t telling nice people to stand up for their rights and demand recompense for being harmed; He was telling anicent Middle Eastern people that believed in two eyes for one eye, two tooths for one tooth, etc. - that they could not demand more than equal recompense for being wronged.

Your other comments don't make sense to me.

Apollos

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 4:41pm

Hi Ron,

You wrote:  �Okay, I'll bite: what's up your sleeve?�

Not yet mate, it�s waaaaaaay too important to be revealed so quickly.  But seriously, I first want to see if anyone from especially the Christian tradition can play lawgiver and devise a means, or statement, by which the above-cited laws as given by Moses and by Jesus can be reconciled and harmonized.  How might one simultaneously observe Moses� and Jesus� law, or edicts, without contradiction?    

You wrote:  �Personally, when I was a Christian I pretty much ignored the Old Testament, because it was just too much at odds with Jesus's message.�

I can relate.  My arguably Christian name is Servetus, which is bad enough in some circles, but I am also sometimes surnamed Marcion.  (One can remain a Christian, as in my case, and have highly disparate, or let�s say, independent viewpoints and, for the fun of it, name oneself after heretics and heresiarchs.)  Remain fiercely independent then, as you are, but please do consider coming back into the fold.  You are missed.   

Hi Apollos

You wrote:  �I will answer your [Servetus�s] question but I gather from your and other Muslim posts that you do not have an answer for my question. That is, you simply want to continue asserting that Islam is correct without accepting the burden of proof that is yours.�

That, I must say, is a lot of gathering from my question.  I have not asserted that Islam is correct and neither for that matter have I continued to do so.  I just thought, after reading your opening argument, that we could break it down and discuss, or digest, it in increments.

You wrote:  �The Jews - like you - objected to such audacious statements ��

Now hold on.  I don�t mind being placed in such illustrious company as, say, Caiaphas, but please do reconsider your assumption that I have thus far voiced any objections.  I have not.  I have presented two statements, one by Moses and another by Jesus, which seem contradictory at best.  I would like to know how to reconcile the two, how to observe both of them without contradiction.  Do you see any way of doing so?

You wrote:  �To summarize, if you had considered the underlying intent of God�s commands and knew a little about Middle Eastern culture, you would have realized that the commandment Moses gave in Leviticus was in keeping with loving thy neighbor ...�

If you don�t stop being so condescending, I am not going to attend your catechism, or Sunday School, and you will no doubt miss me and my fascinating, endlessly thought-provoking contributions to your thread.

Best regards,

Serv

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:04pm

Servetus,

I apologize for assuming you were agreeing with Muslim claims in your objections. I don't have a Sunday School class but I see how my comments would appear condescending with this wrong assumption.

So, to provide me a better understanding of what your questions are about � will you please reveal your opinion on my claim that Jesus rose from the dead and the burden of proof we expect from people claiming to be from God?

Apollos

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:50pm

If you don�t stop being so condescending, I am not going to attend your catechism, or Sunday School

Tongue

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 6:51pm
Apollo,
with all respect why would I trust you when you use a source that is not trustful and say of God things that are distasteful and contradictory to the nature of the Devine, One God, the foundation of anyone's belief. What else would one expect of the rest?
Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Date Posted: 12 March 2009 at 4:19pm

Apollos,

You wrote:  �I apologize ��

Thanks.  It was just a stutter step.  I am having some fun with you.

You wrote:  �So, to provide me a better understanding of what your questions are about ��

I will, at your request, address the remainder of this sentence, but my question, thus far, seems very simple.  Let me rephrase my question �restate the problem- by using the so-called triad, i.e., the thesis, antithesis and synthesis.

�Source Wikipedia:

The thesis is an intellectual proposition.

The antithesis is simply the negation of the thesis, a reaction to the proposition.

The synthesis solves the conflict between the thesis and antithesis by reconciling their common truths, and forming a new proposition.�

Thesis (Moses)

�If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.�

Antithesis (Jesus)

�You have heard that it was said [by Moses], 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.�

Synthesis

?

Can you or anyone (especially among Christians) write a statement, or law, which solves the apparent conflict between Moses and Jesus and reconciles their common truths, thus forming a new proposition?  In other words, can anyone here create, or write, a synthesis?           

You wrote:  �� will you [Servetus] please reveal your opinion on my claim that Jesus rose from the dead and the burden of proof we expect from people claiming to be from God?�

I will try.  But, with your permission, I will have to do it later, because I usually restrict myself to a half hour or less on these boards (which is one reason why I like to take things in smaller doses.)

Best regards,

Serv

Date Posted: 12 March 2009 at 4:27pm

The Law was a concession from GOD for the sins of man.

Galatians 3
 19What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.

Galatians 3

23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Jesus abolished some:

Matthew 5

38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

broke some:

Mark 2

23One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. 24The Pharisees said to him, "Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"

25He answered, "Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? 26In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions."

27Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

and repelled some:

Matthew 5

31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

How was Jesus allowed to do this:

Matthew 28

18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Date Posted: 12 March 2009 at 4:53pm

Can you or anyone (especially among Christians) write a statement, or law, which solves the apparent conflict between Moses and Jesus and reconciles their common truths, thus forming a new proposition? 
Hmmm.

Well, I suppose one could argue that Moses did not mean that the victim should retaliate in kind, but that society (i.e., the law) should retaliate on his behalf.  In other words, if someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also -- then call the police and they will punish the aggressor as Moses prescribes.

Actually, the idea has some merit.  At the risk of resurrecting a rather touchy subject, it ties in nicely with my thoughts on the Israel-Palestine thing.  Regardless of who you see as the victim and who is the aggressor, it is not helpful for the victim to retaliate, because it only perpetuates the violence; but appeal to the world community with clean hands and a bloody face, and it will be clear to all who the aggressor is, and what needs to be done.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 March 2009 at 9:23am

Hi Ron,

I wrote:   �Can you or anyone (especially among Christians) write a statement, or law, which solves the apparent conflict between Moses and Jesus and reconciles their common truths, thus forming a new proposition?�

You wrote:  �Well, I suppose one could argue that Moses did not mean that the victim should retaliate in kind, but that society (i.e., the law) should retaliate on his behalf.  In other words, if someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also -- then call the police and they will punish the aggressor as Moses prescribes.�

Brilliant!  I had a hunch that you could meet the requirements.  To my view, this, in theory, perfectly meets the definition of synthesis.

Thesis (Moses)

�If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.�

Antithesis (Jesus)

�You have heard that it was said [by Moses], �Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.� But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person.  If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.�

Synthesis (Ron)

�{I}f someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also -- then call the police and they will punish the aggressor as Moses prescribes.�

A problem I see in practice, however, is that if one were to follow your synthesis to its logical end, the Mosaic law (thesis) of exact and equal retribution would be in any case enacted, whether the victim himself or the police sought justice, and the perpetrator of the crime would be finally minus an eye or tooth.  And thus, it seems, would be negated Jesus� concept (antithesis), expressed elsewhere and throughout the New Testament, of �overcoming evil with good,� of giving a cloak in addition to a coat, and of pacifism in the face of aggression.

If you don�t mind, then, please allow me to narrow the requirements for the synthesis.  Can anyone create a synthesis, or statement of law, which solves the apparent conflict between Moses and Jesus and reconciles their common truths, thus forming a new proposition, without, in the end, negating or subsuming either the thesis or antithesis?  (The reason why I keep specifying especially those within the Christian tradition will, I hope, be made clear enough at some point as we continue.  Be assured that it is not, by any means, an attempt on my part to exclude Muslims.)   

Serv

Date Posted: 13 March 2009 at 1:28pm

That is an interesting (opening) post, Apollos,

You wrote:  �One distinction in this succession is that Jesus recognized the burden of proof that was required to justify the new �truths� He was revealing. Others have simply claimed that they had a new revelation without accepting the burden of proof.�

Are you including Muhammad among these others?  If so, I disagree with his being included.  He (the Quran) often appeals to proofs.  Here is a single, though probably too controversial example:

�If thou wert in doubt as to what We have revealed unto thee, then ask those who have been reading the Book from before thee: the Truth hath indeed come to thee from thy Lord: so be in no wise of those in doubt.  Nor be of those who reject the signs of Allah, or thou shalt be of those who perish.  Those against whom the word of thy Lord hath been verified would not believe �even if every Sign was brought unto them- until they see (for themselves) the penalty grievous.�  (Quran 10:94-97)

For my purposes thus far, it doesn�t matter how those who had been reading the Book from before him responded, the fact is, an appeal to them was here made, or recommended.

You wrote:  �Another distinction with Jesus is that He did not challenge what the Bible said. He claimed to fulfill it in fact and said that God�s Word (the Tanach or Old Testament) would not pass away until all be fulfilled. He only had two areas where His teaching actually differed ��

I hope you don�t mind my abbreviating your statements.  This one impresses me as understated.  Whether one calls it �abolished,� �fulfilled,� or paradoxically abolished by way of fulfillment, the fact remains that, according to the writer of Acts (St. Luke), one of the so-called �false� witnesses who testified before the Sanhedrin claimed that both St. Stephen and Jesus himself had spoken against the temple and against the law.  �For we have heard him [St. Stephen] say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place [temple] and change the customs Moses handed down to us.� (Acts 6:12-14)

Quite apart from the rather tricky issue of whether this witness was true or false, a question to my mind arises: did Jesus in fact change the customs that Moses handed down to them?   I think he did.  I think one of the best proofs of that is New Testament Christianity itself (in contradistinction to Judaism, which for the most part disregards Jesus).  Consider, among other things, dietary laws, though you have already adequately explained why you think Jesus had the authority to change them.

You wrote:  �He only had two areas where His teaching actually differed from what the average Jew believed at that time and He told His disciples to listen to what the Priests and Scribes said � but not follow their hypocritical practices.�

He is also said to have interrupted the madding throng from enacting the very penalty prescribed by God and Moses in the case of the woman taken in adultery and, in the process, further paved the way toward his own martyrdom (John 8:7).  I would consider this more than a slight disagreement with Moses and his designates.  Wouldn�t you?

To keep things manageably brief, I will close for now.  (Were there some specific questions you wanted me to answer?  If so, please rephrase and present them.  Except, in this case, at the beginning, I haven�t known quite where to start.)

Best regards,

Serv

Date Posted: 13 March 2009 at 9:42pm

A problem I see in practice, however, is that if one were to follow your synthesis to its logical end, the Mosaic law (thesis) of exact and equal retribution would be in any case enacted, whether the victim himself or the police sought justice, and the perpetrator of the crime would be finally minus an eye or tooth.  And thus, it seems, would be negated Jesus� concept (antithesis), expressed elsewhere and throughout the New Testament, of �overcoming evil with good,� of giving a cloak in addition to a coat, and of pacifism in the face of aggression.

You're assuming that the "eye for an eye" thing cannot be considered good.  I happen to agree that it isn't good, but I'm not sure that Jesus would.  He didn't come to abolish the law, after all, so he must have considered it to be good.

Quote Quite apart from the rather tricky issue of whether this witness was true or false, a question to my mind arises: did Jesus in fact change the customs that Moses handed down to them?   I think he did.

Abolished, changed, fulfilled, whatever -- I think this is just semantics.  I think what Jesus was really trying to say in Matthew 5:17-18 was that the Mosaic law wasn't wrong (or bad), merely that it was over, and that it was time for a new law.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 March 2009 at 8:09am

I have tried to address a specific topic in this post. I realize some tangents will arise but it seems that every post ends up with people wanting to attack the Bible being God�s Word. I and other Christians are trying not to show our frustration and offense in having the Scripture we believe in being condemned this way � but it is hard to do so when people deliberately change the topic back to this again and again. If Muslims do not accept the burden of proof in showing that Islam is true, please just say so and we will move on to another topic. If there is an answer from Muslims on the burden of proof, please present it.

Apollos

Posted By: Shasta'sAunt
Date Posted: 14 March 2009 at 7:47pm

"If you don�t mind, then, please allow me to narrow the requirements for the synthesis.  Can anyone create a synthesis, or statement of law, which solves the apparent conflict between Moses and Jesus and reconciles their common truths, thus forming a new proposition, without, in the end, negating or subsuming either the thesis or antithesis?  (The reason why I keep specifying especially those within the Christian tradition will, I hope, be made clear enough at some point as we continue.  Be assured that it is not, by any means, an attempt on my part to exclude Muslims.)"

An interesting exercise, but if I may, as a Muslim, voice my own humble opinion?  It really doesn't matter how many theories are produced regarding synthesis of the two quite different approaches taken between Moses and Jesus. Biblically speaking, in the end God reverts back to His Mosaic Law pronouncing attributes and reigns down death and destruction upon mankind. A most heinous death and destruction after which numerous hapless souls will be cast into an eternal torturous abyss.

Perhaps it might be a better exercise to put forth a synthesis which resolves the conflict of Jesus/God the Prince of Peace and champion of love and anti-violence who turned the other cheek and judged no man, and the God of Abraham, Moses, and Noah who destroyed an entire generation in a flood and will in the future bring forth the Apocalypse and annhilation of mankind, then judge most harshly with no respite those who have apparently not believed in Jesus.

-------------
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 15 March 2009 at 10:05am

I have tried to address a specific topic in this post. I realize some tangents will arise but it seems that every post ends up with people wanting to attack the Bible being God�s Word. I and other Christians are trying not to show our frustration and offense in having the Scripture we believe in being condemned this way � but it is hard to do so when people deliberately change the topic back to this again and again. If Muslims do not accept the burden of proof in showing that Islam is true, please just say so and we will move on to another topic. If there is an answer from Muslims on the burden of proof, please present it.

I don't understand, Apollos.  It seems to me that anyone making magical claims ought to be prepared to prove them.  Why do you feel that Muslims have a burden of proof, but not Christians?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 March 2009 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

Perhaps it might be a better exercise to put forth a synthesis which resolves the conflict of Jesus/God the Prince of Peace and champion of love and anti-violence who turned the other cheek and judged no man, and the God of Abraham, Moses, and Noah who destroyed an entire generation in a flood and will in the future bring forth the Apocalypse and annhilation of mankind, then judge most harshly with no respite those who have apparently not believed in Jesus.

It's simple: Jesus became a man in order to teach us how we should behave as men (and women).  God Himself (i.e., God the Father) behaves quite differently.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 March 2009 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

It's simple: Jesus became a man in order to teach us how we should behave as men (and women).  God Himself (i.e., God the Father) behaves quite differently.

He was definitely not perfect. He was not a husband, a father or a grandfather nor a warrior.

He did not show any example of just a few of the characters that Muhammad showed during his lifetime.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 March 2009 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

He was definitely not perfect. He was not a husband, a father or a grandfather nor a warrior.

He did not show any example of just a few of the characters that Muhammad showed during his lifetime.

Nur Ilahi,

In saying Jesus was not perfect, you have just made another unfounded assertions. In claiming that Mohammed is the benchmark Jesus should be judged by, you are not only being offensive you are ignoring the miracles of Jesus as proof that He is from God. What proof is there that Mohammed was from God?

Apollos

Date Posted: 16 March 2009 at 9:29am

Ron,

I wrote:  �A problem I see in practice, however, is that if one were to follow your synthesis to its logical end, the Mosaic law (thesis) of exact and equal retribution would be in any case enacted, whether the victim himself or the police sought justice, and the perpetrator of the crime would be finally minus an eye or tooth.  And thus, it seems, would be negated Jesus� concept (antithesis), expressed elsewhere and throughout the New Testament, of �overcoming evil with good,� of giving a cloak in addition to a coat, and of pacifism in the face of aggression.�

You wrote:  �You're assuming that the "eye for an eye" thing cannot be considered good.  I happen to agree that it isn't good, but I'm not sure that Jesus would.  He didn't come to abolish the law, after all, so he must have considered it to be good.�

Actually, for purposes of this discussion, I am not assuming anything.  I accept both propositions as equal.  In the new, narrower synthesis I am seeking, I want neither the thesis (Moses) nor the antithesis (Jesus) to be negated or subsumed.  If possible, I want them to be reconciled.  As it reads, to my ear, in the Bible we have a thesis and an antithesis but no apparent synthesis.  At least, in my many years of Bible reading, I�ve never been able to find one.  At this point, that and only that is what I seek.

Shasta�sAunt,

Thanks for the input.  It is always welcome.

You wrote:  It really doesn't matter how many theories are produced regarding synthesis of the two quite different approaches taken between Moses and Jesus ..�

I am actually aiming at something in particular by responding to Apollos and by raising this apparent conflict between Moses and Jesus as a single case in point.  The reason I am asking primarily Christians to offer, or produce, a synthesis is to provoke thought and logical inquiry.  I hope, after a time, to provide something in the nature of a �proof,� which might, just might, appeal to both Christians and Muslims alike.  Before I proceed, I want to ensure that I have allowed sufficient time for those who would to write a synthesis and to consider the matter.

Serv

Date Posted: 16 March 2009 at 1:06pm

Ron,

I wrote:  �A problem I see in practice, however, is that if one were to follow your synthesis to its logical end, the Mosaic law (thesis) of exact and equal retribution would be in any case enacted, whether the victim himself or the police sought justice, and the perpetrator of the crime would be finally minus an eye or tooth.  And thus, it seems, would be negated Jesus� concept (antithesis), expressed elsewhere and throughout the New Testament, of �overcoming evil with good,� of giving a cloak in addition to a coat, and of pacifism in the face of aggression.�

You wrote:  �You're assuming that the "eye for an eye" thing cannot be considered good.  I happen to agree that it isn't good, but I'm not sure that Jesus would.  He didn't come to abolish the law, after all, so he must have considered it to be good.�

Actually, for purposes of this discussion, I am not assuming anything.  I accept both propositions as equal.  In the new, narrower synthesis I am seeking, I want neither the thesis (Moses) nor the antithesis (Jesus) to be negated or subsumed.  If possible, I want them to be reconciled.  As it reads, to my ear, in the Bible we have a thesis and an antithesis but no apparent synthesis.  At least, in my many years of Bible reading, I�ve never been able to find one.  At this point, that and only that is what I seek.

Shasta�sAunt,

Thanks for the input.  It is always welcome.

You wrote:  It really doesn't matter how many theories are produced regarding synthesis of the two quite different approaches taken between Moses and Jesus ..�

I am actually aiming at something in particular by responding to Apollos and by raising this apparent conflict between Moses and Jesus as a single case in point.  The reason I am asking primarily Christians to offer, or produce, a synthesis is to provoke thought and logical inquiry.  I hope, after a time, to provide something in the nature of a �proof,� which might, just might, appeal to both Christians and Muslims alike.  Before I proceed, I want to ensure that I have allowed sufficient time for those who would to write a synthesis and to consider the matter.

Serv

Servetus,

I think I provided a �synthesis� of these statements before you raised the question � or I do not understand what you mean. I will summarize my explanation again and please tell me if it addresses your post.

In the passage at hand Jesus refers to numerous written a verbal commandments the people knew of and then contrasted them with His admonitions/commandments. It is clear to anyone reading these that He was either identifying the underlying principal of the previous commandment or He was creating a new commandment that took the old one to a new level. Either way, He was not reversing a commandment but amplifying it. So we don�t find Him saying we can kill people now, or that we can commit adultery now, etc. He says we can�t even have the thoughts that lead to such things.

So when we come to the statement about � an eye for an eye ��, we should expect Jesus to do just what He had with the preceding statements � amplify the old command not reverse it. Looking at the intent of the old commandment we can see this is what He did; He did not reverse it but amplified it.

I note that someone else wrote that Jesus� credentials allow Him to reverse the old commandment if He had wanted to. I don�t think this is what He did but they are right that He could have if He wanted to. What do you have a problem with in this?

Apollos

Date Posted: 16 March 2009 at 1:27pm

Perhaps it might be a better exercise to put forth a synthesis which resolves the conflict of Jesus/God the Prince of Peace and champion of love and anti-violence who turned the other cheek and judged no man, and the God of Abraham, Moses, and Noah who destroyed an entire generation in a flood and will in the future bring forth the Apocalypse and annhilation of mankind, then judge most harshly with no respite those who have apparently not believed in Jesus.

I suppose that would be simple if you do not believe Jesus is God, Himself.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 16 March 2009 at 1:30pm

I don't understand, Apollos.  It seems to me that anyone making magical claims ought to be prepared to prove them.  Why do you feel that Muslims have a burden of proof, but not Christians?

Ahhhhh Ron Webb, are you using logic on Apollos?

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 16 March 2009 at 1:57pm
First off the proof is with the Quran because the Quran confirms the Gospel.  We know without a doubt that Jesus is a faithful Jew by His deeds and words throughout the Gospel. 

Mohammad was originally a pagan and he adopts stories from the Bible with slight changes.  LOL!!  Of course the burden of proof is with him.

the different times and stages of the development of man between Moses and Jesus require different measures from GOD.

The Law of Moses is about this world and being right with GOD.  Jesus is about our after life and being right with GOD. 

One of the many problems with the Quran is that the Muslim becomes the judge as to who is a follower and submitter to God.  When GOD ordered the killing of a people it was one specific group for a specific time.  The following is a standing order and what is with the tax?

2:29
Fight/kill those who do not believe with God and nor the Day the Last/Resurrection Day, and do not forbid/prohibit what God and His messenger forbid/prohibited, and do not take/adopt a religion the correct/right religion from those who were given/brought The Book, until they give/hand over the fee paid by non-Moslems living in a Moslem society from a hand, and they are subservient/humiliated.

Is this a freudian slip?  Do not take the correct religion from those who were given the Book?

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 16 March 2009 at 3:18pm

Ron,

I think I was clear in opening post. The "magical" claim Christians make is that Jesus fulfilled prophecy and rose from the dead and this provides Him with credentials above any other person. There is historical evidence supporting this claim and none supporting an alternate theory. Refute the resurrection and I will concede that no one has met the burden of proof I am addressing here.

You apparently discount the resurrection of Jesus. If so, can you explain why - on a scientific, logical, philosophical or historical basis?

Apollos

Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 10:07am

Apollos,

You wrote:  �I think I provided a �synthesis� of these statements before you raised the question � or I do not understand what you mean.�

I think it is the latter.

You wrote:  �In the passage at hand Jesus refers to numerous written a verbal commandments the people knew of and then contrasted them with His admonitions/commandments.�

Agreed.

You wrote:  �It is clear to anyone reading these that He was either identifying the underlying principal of the previous commandment or He was creating a new commandment that took the old one to a new level. Either way, He was not reversing a commandment but amplifying it.�

Here, then, is a difference, and not one only of semantics.  I don�t think that negating the thesis amplifies it.   I think that negating the thesis creates the antithesis.  As I read it, Moses stated the thesis and Jesus stated the antithesis (see above).            

You wrote:  �So we don�t find Him saying we can kill people now, or that we can commit adultery now, etc. He says we can�t even have the thoughts that lead to such things.�

For purposes of brevity, I think it best if we continue to focus upon the single �eye for an eye� example.  But, to revisit your statement, we do, in fact, find Him reportedly and at least parenthetically (Mark 7:19) saying that we can not only think, for example, about pork chops, but that we can also grill and chomp a few of them if we so desire.

You wrote:  �So when we come to the statement about � an eye for an eye ��, we should expect Jesus to do just what He had with the preceding statements � amplify the old command not reverse it.�

Again, I don�t see, or read, what he said as an amplification; I read it as a negation.

You wrote:  �Looking at the intent of the old commandment we can see this is what He did; He did not reverse it but amplified it.�

Sorry, who�s the �we� Smile?  I cannot so clearly see this and never, for that matter, have I been able to see it in my years of being nourished in the Christian tradition.

Please allow me to put it in practical, logical rather than theological, but still hypothetical terms.  Forget all else and accept, for now, that there are two primary laws, or statements of law, on the books, one by Moses and the other by Jesus:

(Moses)�If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.�

(Jesus)�You have heard that it was said [by Moses], �Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.� But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person.  If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.�

I am the aggrieved party (plaintiff) standing before you, the sole judge, jury and, if necessary, executioner.  The defendant has, hours before, in a fit of fury and for no legitimate reason, punched me in the face and knocked out one of my teeth.  How do you judge the case and dispense justice according to both Moses and Jesus (using these and related verses) and what, in the end, becomes of the defendant?  What, if any, punishment is meted to the perpetrator of the crime?  Answering that might provide a workable synthesis.

Thank you.

Serv

Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 12:11pm

You (Apollos) wrote:  �It is clear to anyone reading these that He was either identifying the underlying principal of the previous commandment or He was creating a new commandment that took the old one to a new level. Either way, He was not reversing a commandment but amplifying it.�

(From Serv):

Here, then, is a difference, and not one only of semantics.  I don�t think that negating the thesis amplifies it.   I think that negating the thesis creates the antithesis.  As I read it, Moses stated the thesis and Jesus stated the antithesis (see above).            

(From Apollos):

Servetis -
I understand that you see this as a thesis and antithesis scenario but unless you intentionally want to ignore the context of the sermon Jesus is giving, I don�t see why you should. In this sermon on the mount Jesus makes a transition from the Blessed are the meek, etc. to this part where He tells them: �Do not think that I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to destroy but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, Till the heaven and the earth pass away, not one jot or one tittle shall in any way pass from the Law until all is fulfilled.� (The Greek word translated as �fulfill� means complete, perfect, finish, etc.). He then goes on to warn against relaxing (loosen, break, destroy) any of these commandments. After this intro He gives four examples of the Law that He clearly amplifies. Following the same pattern of �You have heard it said � but I tell .. �, Jesus says: You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth."  But I say to you, Do not resist evil. But whoever shall strike you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. And to him desiring to sue you, and to take away your tunic, let him have your coat also. whoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him two.  Give to him who asks of you, and you shall not turn away from him who would borrow from you.

From the introduction and context of the preceding amplifications, it would seem quite odd for Jesus to contradict Himself and actually do what He had just warned against doing. I give Him at least the same benefit of the doubt I would any speaker or writer and investigate the details before assuming the worst. When one does investigate the details I think the conclusion is that Moses commanded a limit on recompense not a minimum.

But let�s say I am wrong. Let�s say that Jesus was repealing this Law, as He replaced it with a higher standard of Grace. Ultimately that is what He preached � That we humans can�t attain to the Law in principal or outward show. Would such a change amount to destroying the Law or perfecting the Law? If it is the former, the Old Testament has more explaining to do than the New Testament. For God in the Old Testament allowed David to live after he had killed Uriah and committed adultery with his wife. He instructed the prophet Hosea to marry a harlot or a woman who became a harlot and not put her to death � in order that God dramatize the sin of the Jewish nation. These and other examples lead me to conclude that God�s Grace fulfills/completes/perfects the Law of God without destroying it.

(From Serv):

Please allow me to put it in practical, logical rather than theological, but still hypothetical terms.  Forget all else and accept, for now, that there are two primary laws, or statements of law, on the books, one by Moses and the other by Jesus:

(Moses)�If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.�

(Jesus)�You have heard that it was said [by Moses], �Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.� But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person.  If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.�

I am the aggrieved party (plaintiff) standing before you, the sole judge, jury and, if necessary, executioner.  The defendant has, hours before, in a fit of fury and for no legitimate reason, punched me in the face and knocked out one of my teeth.  How do you judge the case and dispense justice according to both Moses and Jesus (using these and related verses) and what, in the end, becomes of the defendant?  What, if any, punishment is meted to the perpetrator of the crime?  Answering that might provide a workable synthesis.

(From Apollos):

Serv �

You ask a good question but I think the stage is missing some elements. Actually Jesus described a similar setting in some of His parables and stories and He made you both the judge and plaintiff. He then added a Supreme Judge over you and described a situation where your decision toward the one who has harmed you will be used as the measurement for how you will be treated. If you demand justice, justice will be demanded of you. If you give forgiveness and grace, these will be given to you. As long as you see only look at the horizontal plane, you might imagine yourself as a plaintiff. When/if you can see yourself in the vertical plane, you will see that God is the plaintiff and we need grace not justice.

Apollos

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 2:41pm

Thank you.

Serv

Hello Serv:
You may not get a straight answer from out friend Apollos

If you demand justice, justice will be demanded of you.If you give forgiveness and grace, these will be given to you.
about your dilemma ...
I would like to offer the synthesis the LAW of RETALIATION AND EQUALITY:
42:40 (Y. Ali) The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah. for ((Allah)) loveth not those who do wrong.

Here Allah has given the rights to the plaintiff with justice and grace back to back unambiguously!
As a matter fact no injustice be let go unresolved for the sake of physical well being of the society in general and spiritual health in particular! The current economic abyss is good example between these two schools of thought of man made laws and lawlessness..........

17:33 (Y. Ali) Nor take life - which Allah has made sacred - except for just cause. And if anyone is slain wrongfully, we have given his heir authority (to demand recompense  or to forgive): but let him nor exceed bounds in the matter of taking life; for he is helped (by the Law).

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 3:38pm

Apollos wrote:  �You [Servetus] ask a good question but I think the stage is missing some elements.�

Yes.  It was probably scrubbed too bare.     

Apollos wrote:  �Actually Jesus described a similar setting in some of His parables and stories and He made you both the judge and plaintiff. He then added a Supreme Judge over you and described a situation where your decision toward the one who has harmed you will be used as the measurement for how you will be treated. If you demand justice, justice will be demanded of you. If you give forgiveness and grace, these will be given to you. As long as you see only look at the horizontal plane, you might imagine yourself as a plaintiff. When/if you can see yourself in the vertical plane you will see that God is the plaintiff and we need grace not justice.

Bravo, Apollos!  That is a fine and insightful synthesis.  Thank you.

Sign-Reader wrote:  �I would like to offer the synthesis the LAW of RETALIATION AND EQUALITY:
42:40 (Y. Ali) The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah. for ((Allah)) loveth not those who do wrong.

17:33
(Y. Ali) Nor take life - which Allah has made sacred - except for just cause. And if anyone is slain wrongfully, we have given his heir authority (to demand recompense  or to forgive): but let him nor exceed bounds in the matter of taking life; for he is helped (by the Law).�

Well said (quoted)!  Your timing is also excellent.  The thing that, from the beginning, was up my sleeve (but which may now seem at best anticlimactic when put on the table Embarrassed) was exactly this and I was about to ask Muslims for their input, to see if they could produce a synthesis (as you have).  I had never really seen, or read, a synthesis between Moses and Jesus, at least not as seamlessly as Apollos clearly has, until I read this, from the Quran, and I thought, wrongly it turns out, that I could offer it as something in the nature of a proof:

�We ordained therein for them: "Life for life, eye for eye, nose or nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth, and wounds equal for equal." But if any one remits the retaliation by way of charity, it is an act of atonement for himself. And if any fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (No better than) wrong-doers.� (Quran 5:45)

Oh well.  I thank everyone in this thread for contributing to my understanding and I do furthermore apologize if I took us on an unnecessary tangent.

Serv

Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 4:01pm

Serv,

A rather enlightening tangent.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 4:26pm

Serv,
A rather enlightening tangent.

Servetus rarely, if ever, disappoints.

Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 7:16pm

I think I was clear in opening post. The "magical" claim Christians make is that Jesus fulfilled prophecy and rose from the dead and this provides Him with credentials above any other person. There is historical evidence supporting this claim and none supporting an alternate theory. Refute the resurrection and I will concede that no one has met the burden of proof I am addressing here.

You apparently discount the resurrection of Jesus. If so, can you explain why - on a scientific, logical, philosophical or historical basis?

As I said in that other topic ( http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14279&PID=123439#123439 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14279&PID=123439#123439 ), the prophecies are weak to the point of meaninglessness.

As for the resurrection, if Jesus was seen up and walking around after the crucifiction, my first assumption would be the same as for anyone else --  that he didn't die.

But it's not unusual for eyewitnesses to be mistaken, especially if they claim to see what they fervently want to see.  How many eyewitnesses are there who would claim that Elvis is still alive?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 10:15pm

Nur Ilahi,

In saying Jesus was not perfect, you have just made another unfounded assertions. In claiming that Mohammed is the benchmark Jesus should be judged by, you are not only being offensive you are ignoring the miracles of Jesus as proof that He is from God. What proof is there that Mohammed was from God?

Apollos

I am not trying to be offensive Apollos. I am just being factual. I am not denying that Jesus was from God (as also you and me), but just that if you compare Jesus and Muhammad, as a human being (of course they are human beings) you cannot find a better man than Muhammad that ever lived.

Take for example in these days you need original, authentic identification wherever you go. You need a birth ceritifcate that shows that you are the son of so and so, you need a driving licence that says you had passed your driving test, you need your ceritificates for whatever  courses that you had passed, be it a Degree, a Master, a PhD. In other words, the authentic and original solid proofs.

The proof that we Muslims can bring forward is the Quran. Nothing else. This is the miracle of Muhammad given by God AlMighty that transcend the past, the present and the future. Original, Authentic, without contradiction or anyone's tampering.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2009 at 7:13pm

The proof that we Muslims can bring forward is the Quran. Nothing else. This is the miracle of Muhammad given by God AlMighty that transcend the past, the present and the future. Original, Authentic, without contradiction or anyone's tampering.

But how do you know it came from God?  Just hypothetically, if it came from Satan instead, how would you know the difference?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2009 at 8:30pm

Posted by Ron Webb:

As for the resurrection, if Jesus was seen up and walking around after the crucifiction, my first assumption would be the same as for anyone else --  that he didn't die.

Apollos:

For the sake of brevity I am willing to limit the historical facts to the 12 core ones I mentioned but if you reject even this minimal historical scholarship, I don�t think we have much to discuss on what is historical about Jesus. All scholars agree that Jesus was crucified and died.

Posted by Ron Webb:
But it's not unusual for eyewitnesses to be mistaken, especially if they claim to see what they fervently want to see.  How many eyewitnesses are there who would claim that Elvis is still alive?

Apollos:
The eyewitnesses didn�t claim they saw the risen Jesus at a distance or only once. Their disposition was one of despair not expectation. Your analogy is completely wrong and again, contrary to critical historical scholarship.

Ron - In answering your questions I am trying to appeal to some common ground as a starting place but I don�t know what that might be. Are you an atheist? An agnostic? A Mormon? Please clarify so I can understand your reference point

Date Posted: 18 March 2009 at 8:36pm

Posted by Nur_Ilahi:

From Apollos:

In what way is the Quran objectively different than any other human writing? The qualities you mention are subjective criteria and can be found in Shakespear, Dr. Seus or the New York times. 

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 1:30pm

Posted by Nur_Ilahi:

From Apollos:

In what way is the Quran objectively different than any other human writing? The qualities you mention are subjective criteria and can be found in Shakespear, Dr. Seus or the New York times. 

Apollo,

of those you mentioned are bound to time, culture, region and so on, plus those are not sources of guidance. Plus they are bound to alterations and corrections, and outdated with time. The Quran is without those limits. And most of all Quran is a book of guidance that takes a person from wandering in vanities to the reality of their existance which does not end with death as one may think, rather becomes a reality after that. A reality that is like a tree who's fruit will depend what seed one soe now, in this life.

I will insist you to read a good translation of the Quran, done by a Muslim. And, unless you are paid to agrue, I gurantee, you will never agrue with a Muslim again about their belief, even if you decided after that to stick with your own belief.

Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 1:58pm

Posted by Nur_Ilahi:

I will insist you to read a good translation of the Quran, done by a Muslim. And, unless you are paid to agrue, I gurantee, you will never agrue with a Muslim again about their belief, even if you decided after that to stick with your own belief.

Hasan

From Apollos

Hasan,

I have read the Quran many years ago and it was a translation by a Muslim. My concluding opinion is quite different than yours. In fact I am trying now to see how Muslims make sense of the Quran because it seems like a rambling, disorganized, crude writing to me. I am looking for Muslims who read Arabic to explain how what they see has been lost in the English translations that I read. 

BTW - What would your guarantee be? Would you pay me money or refund the time I spent reading the Quran? I gather you were just using an expression of speech but your confidence is misplaced.

Apollos

Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 2:53pm

But how do you know it came from God?  Just hypothetically, if it came from Satan instead, how would you know the difference?

The Quran tells us to worship God and remember Him and seek His pleasure in all that we do. Fast, give in charity, treat others with respect and love, embrace humility and avoid pride and arrogance, be patient and perservering, struggle within yourself to defeat that which destroys your humanity and spirituality, and to be aware of every action and deed that we do and all of us are responsible for said deeds/actions because we will be judged accordingly, no free passes.

What does The Quran instruct us to do that could be considered Satanic?

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 2:57pm
Apollos:
The eyewitnesses didn�t claim they saw the risen Jesus at a distance or only once. Their disposition was one of despair not expectation. Your analogy is completely wrong and again, contrary to critical historical scholarship.

As I posted earlier, the resurrected Jesus was not even recognised until he identified himself.
Since Jesus prophesied to his followers that he would rise in three days, I fail to see why they were in despair, why they weren't expecting him,  and why they didn't recognise him when on the third day he was supposedly walking around.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 4:06pm
"In fact I am trying now to see how Muslims make sense of the Quran because it seems like a rambling, disorganized, crude writing to me."

As opposed to a book full of incest, drunkeness, fornication, deceit, and murder where the reader can choose between several versions of the same stories and THE major plot twist where the main character turns out to be not just one, as he asserts over and over, but three, yes three different characters.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 6:42pm

For the sake of brevity I am willing to limit the historical facts to the 12 core ones I mentioned but if you reject even this minimal historical scholarship, I don�t think we have much to discuss on what is historical about Jesus. All scholars agree that Jesus was crucified and died.

Well, not the Muslim scholars for sure.  But I'm getting the feeling that only Christian theologians qualify as "scholars" for you.

Many years ago I heard a radio program that discussed the hypothesis that Jesus didn't actually die during the crucifixion.  They mentioned that dentists are taught about a phenomenon they call an "upright faint".  Normally if you faint, you fall down, blood rushes to your head and you revive more or less automatically.  When you are held upright (e.g. in a dentist's chair, or nailed to a cross), this doesn't happen, and you can lapse into a deeply unconscious state which may be mistaken for death.  It's always seemed like the most logical explanation to me.

I went searching for that information on the Internet, and didn't find it; but instead I found a BBC documentary program called "Did Jesus Die?"  There is a Web page for it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/did-jesus-die.shtml - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/did-jesus-die.shtml , and if your bandwidth can handle a 670 MB download (mine can't, unfortunately) I think you can watch it or download it here: http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Did_Jesus_Die - http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Did_Jesus_Die .  Here's a piece of the interview with the director, Richard Denton:

Quote BBC Four: How do you think he might have survived crucifixion?
RD: Crucifixion took up to three days; the maximum he was on the cross for was nine hours, it might even have been six. And even if you read the gospels Pontius Pilate is clearly surprised that he's already dead and wants to be reassured by the centurion that he really is dead. My personal take on it would be that he goes into a shock induced coma, and probably they thought he was dead.
BBC Four: What actually prompted you to start exploring this topic?
RD: I was intrigued because most academic theologians and intelligent churchmen, or a very significant number of them, do not believe that the resurrection is the literal truth. It's a metaphor to tell us that there is hope. Whilst not saying that it's a literal truth they don't actually say it's a lie, but if you're saying something's not literal truth then you are saying it's a lie. I was shocked that none of the people we interviewed, with the exception of the Cannon of Westminster, believed it was true. Yet if they don't think it's true what on earth do they think is the motivation behind writing the story in the Bible?

Ron - In answering your questions I am trying to appeal to some common ground as a starting place but I don�t know what that might be. Are you an atheist? An agnostic? A Mormon? Please clarify so I can understand your reference point

First and foremost I call myself a freethinker.  I also consider myself an atheist, but I stay away from that term because too often it leads to tedious arguments about how I can "prove" that God doesn't exist.  (As if Christians etc. can't call themselves that unless they can "prove" that He does.)

P.S.: Oh, and I should also mention "secular humanist", because I am more and more attracted to that term.  I don't believe in God, but I do believe in humankind.

P.P.S.: I also need to correct a spelling error: "crucifixion", not "crucifiction".  I'm normally very good with spelling.  Must have been a Freudian slip. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 7:00pm

I was asking hypothetically, not suggesting that it actually was Satanic.  But since you asked: in my opinion only an evil god, or possibly Satan, could recommend or even permit that we should cut off the hands of somebody who steals a donut.  We've had this discussion before, so I don't want to go there again; and anyway, nothing anyone can say could change my opinion on that.  If God Himself appeared before me and told me that, I'd tell him (as I believe Muhammad should have) that he is a liar and an impostor.  There is no way I could worship such a god.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2009 at 9:04pm

FROM Ron Webb:

Well, not the Muslim scholars for sure.  But I'm getting the feeling that only Christian theologians qualify as "scholars" for you.

From Apollos:
Ron - No I am not referring to Christian Theologians as scholars. "Critical Scholarship" is essentially secular usually atheistic scholarship. I could quote you the names of the most preeminent ones but I gather you are not really studied in this area. If you want to get up to up speed, I suggest you find a transcript from one of the debates on this subject with Antony Flew (the leading philosophical atheist until just recently). He acknowledges the scholars and conclusions I have summarized. To ignore serious scholars and history and debate naive theories like the one you refer to is a waste of both our time.

Date Posted: 20 March 2009 at 12:03pm

I was asking hypothetically, not suggesting that it actually was Satanic.  But since you asked: in my opinion only an evil god, or possibly Satan, could recommend or even permit that we should cut off the hands of somebody who steals a donut.  We've had this discussion before, so I don't want to go there again; and anyway, nothing anyone can say could change my opinion on that.  If God Himself appeared before me and told me that, I'd tell him (as I believe Muhammad should have) that he is a liar and an impostor.  There is no way I could worship such a god.

Yes, we have had this discussion before but even a secular humanist must know that if you have within a society someone who continually flaunts the laws of that society with no regard for their fellow humans then some sort of punishment must be meted out. Otherwise chaos and anarchy will follow.

You know from our previous discussion that stealing a donut would not automatically result in your hand being cut off. Career criminals need a deterrent.

Look at the economic mess we are in right now because people are allowed to steal in this country with impunity. I'm pretty darn sure if the court system lopped off Bernie Madoff's or the CEO of Fannie Mae's right hand the next person with a ripoff scheme would think long and hard before going through with it and little old ladies in Florida wouldn't be sitting around wondering how they are going to survive now that all of their nest egg has been stolen. Or families in Pennsylvania or Detroit or Wisconsin wouldn't be homeless and unemployed wondering where they will sleep or how they will feed their children.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 20 March 2009 at 12:13pm

Yes, we have had this discussion before but even a secular humanist must know that if you have within a society someone who continually flaunts the laws of that society with no regard for their fellow humans then some sort of punishment must be meted out. Otherwise chaos and anarchy will follow.

You know from our previous discussion that stealing a donut would not automatically result in your hand being cut off. Career criminals need a deterrent.

Look at the economic mess we are in right now because people are allowed to steal in this country with impunity. I'm pretty darn sure if the court system lopped off Bernie Madoff's or the CEO of Fannie Mae's right hand the next person with a ripoff scheme would think long and hard before going through with it and little old ladies in Florida wouldn't be sitting around wondering how they are going to survive now that all of their nest egg has been stolen. Or families in Pennsylvania or Detroit or Wisconsin wouldn't be homeless and unemployed wondering where they will sleep or how they will feed their children.
Thumbs%20Up
Not just them but also the recipients of presidential & congressional campaign contributions in who were party to the sub prime... MBSs and AIG derivatives!
And I wonder about our teleprompter lefty prez's billion dollar campaign chestWink

Ron, you need to find a better example than the donut!

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 20 March 2009 at 2:25pm
"....then some sort of punishment must be meted out. Otherwise chaos and anarchy will follow. "  Not to mention, I'm sure, a whole host of other crimes are a direct result of stealing; such as murder, rape, aggravated assaults, etc.  You might say; stealing is a 'gateway' crime to other more serious aggressions.  Yeah, the donut example doesn't fly.

Date Posted: 20 March 2009 at 4:41pm

The Quran does not say "some sort of punishment must be meted out.".  It does not say "career criminals need a deterrent."  And it doesn't say "the donut example doesn't fly."  It gives a clear, unequivocal and direct command to Muslims: "As for the thief, both male and female, cut off their hands."

Yes, I know that stealing a donut would not automatically result in the thief's hand being cut off.  I know that because I have faith in humanity, not God, and I know that no civilized society would tolerate such inhumanity, regardless of what their holy book says.  I just find it appalling that Allah apparently would tolerate it, let alone command it.

And yes, I know that the Quran goes on to say that if the thief repents and makes amends, Allah will forgive him; but it doesn't say that Muslims can or should forgive him, and it doesn't revoke the punishment.  How could it?  How do you restore a severed hand?

At the very least, this sort of ugliness does not belong in a scripture whose only claim to authenticity is its alleged great beauty.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 March 2009 at 5:00pm

Ron - No I am not referring to Christian Theologians as scholars. "Critical Scholarship" is essentially secular usually atheistic scholarship. I could quote you the names of the most preeminent ones but I gather you are not really studied in this area. If you want to get up to up speed, I suggest you find a transcript from one of the debates on this subject with Antony Flew (the leading philosophical atheist until just recently). He acknowledges the scholars and conclusions I have summarized. To ignore serious scholars and history and debate naive theories like the one you refer to is a waste of both our time.

LOL Well, we agree on one thing: this is a waste of time.  But why do ideologues always have to end with an argumentum ad hominem?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 March 2009 at 12:38pm

LOL Well, we agree on one thing: this is a waste of time.  But why do ideologues always have to end with an argumentum ad hominem?

Ron,

I am not arguing against or for the man here - just trying to find common references that you might trust.

I am not against discussions and debates, as long as they are not futile. What common epistemological starting point do you think we should and can have? If it is logical I will be glad to start there.

Apollos

Date Posted: 22 March 2009 at 11:45am

Apollos,

As with all discussion, we have reality, and the natural world, as our common epistemological starting point.  Hopefully we also share a certain amount of common sense.

If you saw someone badly injured, having lost a lot of blood, motionless and apparently not breathing, might you not think he was dead?  And if three days later you saw him walking around, would you immediately assume a miraculous resurrection, or would you think maybe your first assumption was wrong?

Well, maybe if your ideology tells you to expect a miracle, then you might indeed assume it was a miracle, and report it as such.  But for the rest of us, common sense suggests that somebody somewhere must have been mistaken.

It used to happen all the time, you know.  People would be declared dead, would be given a funeral and even buried, only to regain consciousness in the grave, where they would frantically and futilely claw and scratch at the interior of their coffin.  This would occasionally be discovered later by gravediggers who needed to open the grave for some reason.  Such horrific incidents probably contributed to the legends of vampires and the "undead".

-------------

Date Posted: 22 March 2009 at 2:26pm

Apollos,

As with all discussion, we have reality, and the natural world, as our common epistemological starting point.  Hopefully we also share a certain amount of common sense.

If you saw someone badly injured, having lost a lot of blood, motionless and apparently not breathing, might you not think he was dead?  And if three days later you saw him walking around, would you immediately assume a miraculous resurrection, or would you think maybe your first assumption was wrong?

Well, maybe if your ideology tells you to expect a miracle, then you might indeed assume it was a miracle, and report it as such.  But for the rest of us, common sense suggests that somebody somewhere must have been mistaken.

It used to happen all the time, you know.  People would be declared dead, would be given a funeral and even buried, only to regain consciousness in the grave, where they would frantically and futilely claw and scratch at the interior of their coffin.  This would occasionally be discovered later by gravediggers who needed to open the grave for some reason.  Such horrific incidents probably contributed to the legends of vampires and the "undead".

Ron,

The facts do not suggest any vagueness concerning Jesus' death. That is why historians conclude that Jesus was not just injured but truly dead. The swoon theory - which you are essentially suggesting - was refuted long ago and no scholars accept it as plausible. One of the many problems with this naturalistic explanation is - the disciples see an anemic, weak and mutilated Jesus 3 days after he was crucified and it convinces them that Jesus has risen from the dead? This person who would have definitely needed emergency care convinced them that he was the amazing Lord from heaven?

It was not the disciples� ideology to expect a miracle nor is it mine. But they and I allow the possibility of miracles. I gather that you do not. In which case, you are obligated to accept unbelievable unjustified explanations for some events simply because you have excluded the miraculous apriori. So lets address this juncture of what you and I currently don�t agree on. I contend that it is illogical and unjustified to say that miracles can�t and/or don�t occur. Will you explain to me how I am incorrect on this position?

Apollos

Date Posted: 23 March 2009 at 4:35am

One of the many problems with this naturalistic explanation is - the disciples see an anemic, weak and mutilated Jesus 3 days after he was crucified and it convinces them that Jesus has risen from the dead? This person who would have definitely needed emergency care convinced them that he was the amazing Lord from heaven?

Why not?  We know that he was mutilated (the stigmata).  What makes you think he wasn't weak and amenic as well?

Then again, maybe the 3 days was actually three "prophetic days"...Wink

Quote I contend that it is illogical and unjustified to say that miracles can�t and/or don�t occur. Will you explain to me how I am incorrect on this position?

Miracles are by definition illogical and unjustified.  If they were logical or justified by natural principles, they wouldn't be miracles, would they?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 March 2009 at 5:32am
"It was not the disciples� ideology to expect a miracle nor is it mine."

Supposedly these guys had walked around with Jesus for quite a period of time while he healed the sick, caused the blind to see and the lame to walk, raised the dead, and turned water into wine, probably a favorite...
Jesus apparently predicted his own death and told them he would rise in three days after being crucified, yet, despite all of this it was not in their ideology to expect a miracle? Tough crowd! 

It is far more likely that they just didn't think Jesus was God, but a mere man, like the Bible says after the death and resurrection:

1 Timothy 2:5: For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 23 March 2009 at 11:16am

Quote I contend that it is illogical and unjustified to say that miracles can�t and/or don�t occur. Will you explain to me how I am incorrect on this position?

Miracles are by definition illogical and unjustified.  If they were logical or justified by natural principles, they wouldn't be miracles, would they?
Ron,

You are using the terms "illogical" and "unjustified" in naive and subjective ways. Miracles are not by definition illogical and when you add the qualifier  "by natural principals" you are setting forth a subjective criteria. You are trying to define miracles out of existence rather than disprove them. I offer two rebuttals:

1. If you are consistent with your view that "a miracle can not happen because a miracle by definition goes against the laws of nature", then I would expect that you reject the theory of evolution. Do you? I think you know that the theory of evolution relies on their having been events that defy our observations of natural laws, correct. (Do I need to list these for you?) Are you therefore consistent with your criteria on what is justified by natural laws?

2. Your criteria can only apply to a closed system. If God exists and this God is transcendent to our universe, you have created an arbitrary and unjustified criteria that does not account for this part of reality. In this way, your stipulation rests on the presumption that God does not exist. You can�t prove this negative so it is illogical for you to act as if it is an established fact. A myriad of subsequent false beliefs and conclusions will occur if this foundation is false. At a minimum it is unjustified and illogical for you to assume your foundational belief is certain when you haven�t demonstrated this.

Apollos

Date Posted: 23 March 2009 at 4:20pm
Apollos,

1. Yes, I think you need to list them for me.  (But keep it a short list, please.  I don't want to get into a debate about evolution.)  If you think that the theory of evolution defies our observations of natural laws, then you either don't understand evolution or you don't understand what is meant by "natural laws".  Evolution is the poster child for a naturalistic world view.

2. The universe by definition is "all that exists".  If God exists, then he is part of the universe.  If that definition makes you uncomfortable, then think of another word and I'll use it instead, but my "closed system" includes all that exists.  Yours too, I hope.  Would you knowingly include in this discussion things that do not exist?  Would you knowingly deny things that do exist?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 March 2009 at 8:04pm

Apollos,

1. Yes, I think you need to list them for me.  (But keep it a short list, please.  I don't want to get into a debate about evolution.)  If you think that the theory of evolution defies our observations of natural laws, then you either don't understand evolution or you don't understand what is meant by "natural laws".  Evolution is the poster child for a naturalistic world view.

Ron,

On evolution � let�s just discuss a few of the basic problems for calling this theory �natural�. For example: arrival of the fittest. We know how survival of the fittest works but each species � according to the theory of evolution � requires the arrival of a new species. This species arrival requires a macro level mutation that is totally unlike the small changes within a species. The latter we can observe, the former has never been observed. (If you need a specific change to illustrate this, consider the supposed change from cold blooded reptile to warm blooded bird). And its not just external features that pose the problem. The DNA of each species is different and nowhere do we have transitional forms or DNA.

The idea of mutations producing an overall positive change is counter to our observations and other natural laws like the law of entropy (second law of thermodynamics). Raw energy is destructive not productive; water destroys DNA so DNA repair genes would have to be in place simultaneously with the occurrence of DNA or it would not survive. Homchirality is another formidable opponent. The only way we come close to re-creating life is when we concoct an experiment filled with our own �intelligent design�. We pick certain chemicals and exclude others � not based on the predicted elements in the primordial world but the kind that will give us the required results we want. And even then the results aren�t completely right.

Consider the origin of life itself. In addition to all of the other problems for the first living cell being the result of random chance, we know that living cells require DNA and Proteins. (RNA can substitute for some virus forms). We also know that proteins must have DNA and DNA replication requires proteins. The chicken and egg dilemma is at it�s worst here. If you wish to read a list of quotes by evolutionists who admit to this, please see this link - http://members.iinet.net.au/~sejones/orignl01.html#orgnflfmjrstpsnknwnmchnsmfsbjctfthrcntrvrsyrcmpltbwldrmnt - http://members.iinet.net.au/~sejones/orignl01.html#orgnflfmjrstpsnknwnmchnsmfsbjctfthrcntrvrsyrcmpltbwldrmnt

These are just some of the reasons why it is incorrect to call evolution a theory based on �natural laws�.

Apollos

Date Posted: 23 March 2009 at 8:21pm

Apollos,

The universe by definition is "all that exists".  If God exists, then he is part of the universe.  If that definition makes you uncomfortable, then think of another word and I'll use it instead, but my "closed system" includes all that exists.  Yours too, I hope.  Would you knowingly include in this discussion things that do not exist?  Would you knowingly deny things that do exist?

Ron,

With your statement above you are trying to define God out of existence again. In addition to that fallacy, you are using a definition which is illogical. I offer my explanation and welcome your response.

For the sake of brevity, I�ll agree with you that the universe exists. But the key question is � Does the universe represent everything that exists or is there is something that exists outside the universe (i.e. - God)? If the universe has always existed one might be able to make the case that you have. But I think you know that the universe has not always existed � science and logic refute this idea. In which case, we have one of two logical possibilities:

1.       The universe is derived from something else that has always existed.

2.       Something did not always exist. Put another way, there was a point when nothing existed. To get to the point we are � where something exists � means you would have to show how something can come from nothing.

If you want to argue for option 2 or conceive of another option, please do so. Otherwise option 1 is the only logical implication of our universe and this option allows for the existence of God.

Apollos

Posted By: Akhe Abdullah
Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 4:45am
As Salamu Alaikum,Apollos.I see that you are trying to tell the self proclaimed atheis that their is a God.Good job!May Allah Bless you(Ameen)

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Akhe Abdullah Akhe Abdullah wrote:

As Salamu Alaikum,Apollos.I see that you are trying to tell the self proclaimed atheis that their is a God.Good job!May Allah Bless you(Ameen)

While we do agree on the existence of God, I don't know if we agree on the logic and reasoning I am using. I encourage you to follow this thread and see if I am being consistent in the way I approach different questions. If I am not, please point out the specifics for the benefit of all. If I am being consistent, please don't applaud me on this topic and then act as though I am being dishonest or illogical when I discuss beliefs that you hold to.

Apollos

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 12:53pm

While we do agree on the existence of God, I don't know if we agree on the logic and reasoning I am using. I encourage you to follow this thread and see if I am being consistent in the way I approach different questions. If I am not, please point out the specifics for the benefit of all. If I am being consistent, please don't applaud me on this topic and then act as though I am being dishonest or�illogical when I discuss beliefs that you hold to.

Apollos
I will try (Inshallah).Sometimes I dont know if you are asking questions for the benifit of obtaining Knowledge or for arguement sake.

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 2:02pm

[QUOTE=Akhe Abdullah]As

I will try (Inshallah).Sometimes I dont know if you are asking questions for the benifit of obtaining Knowledge or for arguement sake.
I never want to question people for the sake of argueing. If I keep asking something others don't have an answer for - it may sound like that but I am simply trying to discover if they have an answer or are they simply trying to change the subject. To me that is what civil debating and discussions are about. Sometimes the knowledge we gain is enlightening; sometimes the knowledge we gain is a confirmation that our initial suspicions were correct.

Apollos

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 3:47pm

Apollos,

We seem to be running off in tangents here.  You clearly don't understand the theory of evolution (the theory that new species arise via "macro level mutation" is called saltation, not evolution) but we'll save that for another time.  Nor do I want to digress into a debate on the origin of the universe.

I started out by saying that if Jesus was up and walking around after the crucifixion, the most logical explanation would be that he didn't die.  I reject "it's a miracle" as an explanation because (at least by my definition) miracles are inherently illogical, i.e. if there's a logical explanation then it isn't a miracle.

If you want to make a miracle into a logical explanation, then you need to explain (or at least offer a credible theory of) how miracles work.  By what mechanism does God intervene in the world?  For example, is it a quantum effect of some kind?  Perhaps God manipulates the probabilities of particle interactions at the subatomic level?  If so, how does He accomplish this?  What is your evidence that this is happening, and how can we test your theory?

That would be a logical explanation, and I would be thrilled to see the evidence.  But simply saying "it's a miracle" is not an explanation at all -- on the contrary, it is an admission that you have no explanation.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 4:43pm

Apollos,

We seem to be running off in tangents here.  You clearly don't understand the theory of evolution (the theory that new species arise via "macro level mutation" is called saltation, not evolution) but we'll save that for another time.  Nor do I want to digress into a debate on the origin of the universe.

I started out by saying that if Jesus was up and walking around after the crucifixion, the most logical explanation would be that he didn't die.  I reject "it's a miracle" as an explanation because (at least by my definition) miracles are inherently illogical, i.e. if there's a logical explanation then it isn't a miracle.

If you want to make a miracle into a logical explanation, then you need to explain (or at least offer a credible theory of) how miracles work.  By what mechanism does God intervene in the world?  For example, is it a quantum effect of some kind?  Perhaps God manipulates the probabilities of particle interactions at the subatomic level?  If so, how does He accomplish this?  What is your evidence that this is happening, and how can we test your theory?

That would be a logical explanation, and I would be thrilled to see the evidence.  But simply saying "it's a miracle" is not an explanation at all -- on the contrary, it is an admission that you have no explanation.

Ron,

I am taking this tangent because I am trying to find a starting point for us to agree on. Since you have said you only accept natural explanations for events and the universe is the only reality that exists, I will never be able to show you satisfactory reasons that don't meet your criteria, correct? I am therefore trying to show that your definitions are subjective and arbitrary so you will consider the possibility that God exists. I am not trying to get you to admit that God exists but allow the possibility that He exists. If you exclude that possibility, no one could ever prove a miracle to you, could they?

Your request for the mechanisms of a miracle to prove it is "logical" is equally subjective and arbitrary. If you applied this criteria to a host of other events they would prove to be "illogical" as well. For example, the love your parents had for you, the truthfulness of your memories, the existence of everything around you. Show me the logical proof of these and I will know how to answer your question.

(You are starting to sound like others in this forum who change the subject when they don't have an adeqaute answer. )

Apollos

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 6:30pm

I am taking this tangent because I am trying to find a starting point for us to agree on. Since you have said you only accept natural explanations for events and the universe is the only reality that exists, I will never be able to show you satisfactory reasons that don't meet your criteria, correct? I am therefore trying to show that your definitions are subjective and arbitrary so you will consider the possibility that God exists. I am not trying to get you to admit that God exists but allow the possibility that He exists. If you exclude that possibility, no one could ever prove a miracle to you, could they?

If you look back in the discussion you will see that it was you, not me, who introduced the word "universe".  To me, as I said, the "universe" means everything that exists; and if God exists, then He is part of the universe.  If that isn't what you meant by the term, then I wish you would define it; but my definition does not exclude the possibility of God.

Quote Your request for the mechanisms of a miracle to prove it is "logical" is equally subjective and arbitrary. If you applied this criteria to a host of other events they would prove to be "illogical" as well. For example, the love your parents had for you, the truthfulness of your memories, the existence of everything around you. Show me the logical proof of these and I will know how to answer your question.

My parents have helped me in many ways, and their attention and assistance are a logical explanation for the kind of person I am and the good life I live.  I can easily prove that my parents exist, I can prove what they did for me and how they did it, and I can probably even show that those acts of good parenting might logically be expected to produce beneficial results.

However, love itself is not a fact but a belief.  It is an abstraction that I project onto the bare facts of their behaviour.  As much as I believe that my parents love me, I cannot prove that love exists.

The other examples you offer are not explanations of anything, so they are not analogous to miraculous explanations of events.  There is nothing logical or illogical about memories or existence.  Such things may be true or false, but not logical or illogical.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 7:43pm
"(You are starting to sound like others in this forum who change the subject when they don't have an adeqaute answer. )"

Not to worry Ron Webb, you will soon discover that no answer is adequate enough. It's not Apollos, it's everyone else that just doesn't get it....

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: Nazarene
Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 8:15pm
peace be upon you my friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lN69AUXBfk&feature=related - www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lN69AUXBfk&feature=related

love leland

-------------
love for all conquers all

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 8:23pm

Ron Webb posted:

If you look back in the discussion you will see that it was you, not me, who introduced the word "universe".  To me, as I said, the "universe" means everything that exists; and if God exists, then He is part of the universe.  If that isn't what you meant by the term, then I wish you would define it; but my definition does not exclude the possibility of God.

Ron,

I get that you believe that the existence of God is impossible and/or illogical. If we accept this as valid premise, there is no way I can prove the existence of God or that such a God does miracles, can I? So though you hold this belief you still ask me to prove how a particular miracle occurred. Am I missing something or do just want to see me waste my time?

Our fundamental disagreement then is over the existence of God. I contend that your belief about God not existing is subjective and arbitrary. I have given a basic argument to support my contention. I was hoping that by seeing the �error of your ways�, you would at least concede the possibility that God does exist and we could then discuss reasons for accepting the resurrection of Jesus as historical. If you refuse to respond to the fundamental argument I pose, fine. But if I am wrong, you have the opportunity to show me and refute my belief that God exists. This will effectively take care of other beliefs I have about God�s Word and miracles. Why not respond to my challenge?

I�ll try again to the fundamentals so we can know where we agree and disagree? Please let me know if you agree with the below � or please correct it so you do agree with it:

1.      Something has always existed.

2.      The Universe has not always existed.

3.      Therefore the Universe does not contain everything that exists. (Another way of saying this is there is something transcendent to the universe. This allows the possibility of �God�.)

Apollos

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Nazarene Nazarene wrote:

peace be upon you my friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lN69AUXBfk&feature=related - www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lN69AUXBfk&feature=related

love leland

Thanks. He is saying just what I have gleaned from this site: �The proof of God and Islam is how it appeals to people�s ideas about what is logical, rational, common sense, etc.� Never mind that the general things he says could be said by a Jew, a Christian, or a Deist; He claims Islam is the one that appeals to our human senses the best.

This is a very subjective approach and it is contrary to how the Bible says �There is a way that seems right to man but the end thereof is destruction.� But I get it now. Thanks.

Apollos

Posted By: Nazarene
Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 9:28pm
peace joy and love to you!

your are right!! praise be to ALLAH for your enlightenment!!

This is a very subjective approach and it is contrary to how the Bible says �There is a way that seems right to man but the end thereof is destruction.� But I get it now. Thanks.

Apollos

islam is contrary to the phrase you used above . so it does not apply to our faith.

maybe it aplies to a faith that instists on a blind faith. whos members believe what they do because thier told to. without thought ,without reason and who insist their way is above question.
    when will you join me? you do not have to give up what jesus brought us to follow islam. but you will have to embrace it and live it every moment of every day! the message! the qu'ran will make clear what was lost.  can you handle it?
leland

-------------
love for all conquers all

Date Posted: 24 March 2009 at 10:10pm
Sorry Leland. Because Islam appeals to you, you think this statement is valid and enlightening. To someone like me - it is completely circular logic. Calling something logical and rational does not make it so, it simply appeals to a person's pride to say that they are "logical" and "rational". (Do you really think that there are Jews, Christians, Budhists, etc. who think they are believing in something illogical or irrational? That's what the speaker implies and its false.)

As I mentioned, the word "Islam" in the video could have been replaced with "Judaism" or "Deism" and it would be just as valid and true. With a little tweaking it could even refer to atheism. This is not real "proof", it is simply an appeal to believe what one wants to believe and call it logical and true. On that basis, anything and everything is true.

Apollos

Date Posted: 25 March 2009 at 4:40am

I get that you believe that the existence of God is impossible and/or illogical. If we accept this as valid premise, there is no way I can prove the existence of God or that such a God does miracles, can I? So though you hold this belief you still ask me to prove how a particular miracle occurred. Am I missing something or do just want to see me waste my time?

Yeah, you're missing just about everything.  When did I ever say that the existence of God is impossible?  That's exactly why I avoid the term "atheist" -- people immediately jump to that conclusion.  I personally do not believe in God, but that doesn't mean I can prove it.  It's possible I'm wrong, but in order to convince me you would need evidence.

Quote I�ll try again to the fundamentals so we can know where we agree and disagree? Please let me know if you agree with the below � or please correct it so you do agree with it:

1.      Something has always existed.

2.      The Universe has not always existed.

3.      Therefore the Universe does not contain everything that exists. (Another way of saying this is there is something transcendent to the universe. This allows the possibility of �God�.)

First, please define "universe".

If you mean the observable, physical universe that originated in the so-called "Big Bang", then yes, there may be other things beyond its borders, but there is no theory at present that can explain how they could affect us.  If you have such a theory, I'd love to hear it -- but "it's a miracle" is no explanation.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 March 2009 at 9:13am

Originally posted by Apollos

Posted by Ron Webb:

Yeah, you're missing just about everything.  When did I ever say that the existence of God is impossible?  That's exactly why I avoid the term "atheist" -- people immediately jump to that conclusion.  I personally do not believe in God, but that doesn't mean I can prove it.  It's possible I'm wrong, but in order to convince me you would need evidence.

New post by Apollos:

Ron,

I have obviously misunderstood you. I took your earlier statements (quoted below) to mean that you were excluding God from existence � unless He is part of the natural world.

The universe by definition is "all that exists".  If God exists, then he is part of the universe.  If that definition makes you uncomfortable, then think of another word and I'll use it instead, but my "closed system" includes all that exists.  Yours too, I hope.  Would you knowingly include in this discussion things that do not exist?  Would you knowingly deny things that do exist?

So let me try to start over and see where we agree or don�t. Do you agree that it is logically and/or scientifically possible that God could exist?

Apollos

Date Posted: 25 March 2009 at 9:39am

I never want to�question people for the sake of argueing. If I keep asking something others don't have an answer for - it may sound like that but I am simply trying to discover if they have an answer or are they simply trying to change the subject. To me that is what civil debating and discussions are about.
Apollos

As Salamu Alaikum,Apollos. It's the greeting of peace it is most beautiful.It's a good habbit of mine I say it to everyone.So!You are deceiving people with questions for debate practicing?Why not just ask who wants to debate so and so topic?I'm not at all a debater,I lack the proper training.That is why you use to say (reading into your belifes)deception is the work of Shayton.

Date Posted: 25 March 2009 at 12:25pm

I never want to question people for the sake of argueing. If I keep asking something others don't have an answer for - it may sound like that but I am simply trying to discover if they have an answer or are they simply trying to change the subject. To me that is what civil debating and discussions are about.
Apollos

As Salamu Alaikum,Apollos. It's the greeting of peace it is most beautiful.It's a good habbit of mine I say it to everyone.So!You are deceiving people with questions for debate practicing?Why not just ask who wants to debate so and so topic?I'm not at all a debater,I lack the proper training.That is why you use to say (reading into your belifes)deception is the work of Shayton.

Akhe Abdullah,

It seems that we are not communicating very well. I am not "deceiving people with questions for debate practicing". If you think I said that - you are misunderstanding my words. Debates do happen as part of this forum but don't blame me for that. When people - including yourself - disagree with someone else and the object to an answer the discussion can be called a "debate".

I admit that I must be misunderstanding your words at times because we are having this exchange here and I don't understand your last sentence at all. I'm sorry but I don't know how to understand or be understood by you better.

Apollos

Date Posted: 25 March 2009 at 6:06pm

So let me try to start over and see where we agree or don�t. Do you agree that it is logically and/or scientifically possible that God could exist?

I agree that it is possible that some sort of god or gods exist(s), though I think it's a pretty low probability.  If you are talking about a very specific God, such as is described in the Bible, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita, or the ancient Greek pantheon, then I would say that the probability is infinitesimal, but still non-zero -- perhaps only slightly higher than the infamous Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Celestial Teapot.

One thing I can say with near-certainty is that if God exists, he obviously doesn't care whether I believe in Him or not.  I say that because, honestly, I'm quite open to being convinced of his existence.  It's not that I'm especially hostile to the concept or unwilling to accept authority or anything like that.  If God really wanted me to believe, it would be trivially simple for an omnipotent God to make His existence crystal clear.

If You're listening, God, here are just a few suggestions, though I've no doubt You could do much better than these:

1. How about setting up a celestial radio station, broadcasting the Quran (or the Bible, or whatever) to the entire planet, or the entire galaxy for that matter?  Make it have equal signal strength everywhere and in all directions, so it was clear that the signal is not a point source, but that the ether itself is resonating to Your frequency.  Or maybe different frequencies for different languages.  That would be pretty impressive, but surely not too difficult for the Creator of the Universe.

2. A more low-tech suggestion: You often talk about the "very rocks and stones" singing your praises.  Well, how about it?  That would be something, wouldn't it?  Maybe every time we tap a stone, instead of a dull thud we hear a Psalm, or a Sura?  Why not?

3. We sometimes hear silly stories about people claiming to see the face of God or Jesus in their fried egg or burnt toast or whatever.  Well, it wouldn't be silly if it was reproducible.  Why not make your image (or if you're shy, maybe just that Ichthys symbol or something) appear every time I fry an egg?  Once is just weird, and twice is a coincidence, but EVERY time would leave no room for doubt.

Apollos, you probably think I'm joking, but I'm not.  Maybe my examples are a bit inane, but it would take something on that scale to convince me.  Remember, the burden of proof rests with those who claim the existence of something, not the non-existence of it; and like they say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Well, God is certainly an extraordinary claim.

I'm waiting, God.  I've been waiting for half a century, but so far You haven't made any serious attempt to reveal Yourself.  I can only conclude that You don't care one way or another whether I believe.  And that's cool.  I guess I'm doing okay -- God doesn't feel the need to intervene. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 26 March 2009 at 5:05am
As Salamu Alaikum, Apollos. If you can not understand me how can you understand the Bible.I do not use big words and Im not talking in circles.Maybe we can communicate better if you could only greet me properly for ounce.

Date Posted: 26 March 2009 at 9:35am

I agree that it is possible that some sort of god or gods exist(s), though I think it's a pretty low probability.  If you are talking about a very specific God, such as is described in the Bible, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita, or the ancient Greek pantheon, then I would say that the probability is infinitesimal, but still non-zero -- perhaps only slightly higher than the infamous Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Celestial Teapot.

One thing I can say with near-certainty is that if God exists, he obviously doesn't care whether I believe in Him or not.  I say that because, honestly, I'm quite open to being convinced of his existence.  It's not that I'm especially hostile to the concept or unwilling to accept authority or anything like that.  If God really wanted me to believe, it would be trivially simple for an omnipotent God to make His existence crystal clear.

If You're listening, God, here are just a few suggestions, though I've no doubt You could do much better than these:

1. How about setting up a celestial radio station, broadcasting the Quran (or the Bible, or whatever) to the entire planet, or the entire galaxy for that matter?  Make it have equal signal strength everywhere and in all directions, so it was clear that the signal is not a point source, but that the ether itself is resonating to Your frequency.  Or maybe different frequencies for different languages.  That would be pretty impressive, but surely not too difficult for the Creator of the Universe.

2. A more low-tech suggestion: You often talk about the "very rocks and stones" singing your praises.  Well, how about it?  That would be something, wouldn't it?  Maybe every time we tap a stone, instead of a dull thud we hear a Psalm, or a Sura?  Why not?

3. We sometimes hear silly stories about people claiming to see the face of God or Jesus in their fried egg or burnt toast or whatever.  Well, it wouldn't be silly if it was reproducible.  Why not make your image (or if you're shy, maybe just that Ichthys symbol or something) appear every time I fry an egg?  Once is just weird, and twice is a coincidence, but EVERY time would leave no room for doubt.

Apollos, you probably think I'm joking, but I'm not.  Maybe my examples are a bit inane, but it would take something on that scale to convince me.  Remember, the burden of proof rests with those who claim the existence of something, not the non-existence of it; and like they say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Well, God is certainly an extraordinary claim.

I'm waiting, God.  I've been waiting for half a century, but so far You haven't made any serious attempt to reveal Yourself.  I can only conclude that You don't care one way or another whether I believe.  And that's cool.  I guess I'm doing okay -- God doesn't feel the need to intervene. Smile

Ron,

Since we agree that the existence of God is possible, would you also agree that raising someone from the dead is also possible? While this is currently an impossible event for humans to pull off, and certainly beyond the abilities of humans in 33 A.D., God � by the most minimal of definitions � could pull this off. I don�t know or care at this point if this event is a miracle or not. That is, maybe it is an invasion of natural laws or maybe it is just advanced knowledge of our natural laws. Either way, it is something humans can�t do and God � if He exists � could do. Do we agree on this?

I appreciate your other suggestions for proving God�s existence but I suggest to you that these are not universal criteria. I have heard a host of other examples from skeptics and the only thing they seem to share is being subjective. On the one hand I agree that God could accommodate everyone�s personal preferences on this if He wanted to and your conclusion that He doesn�t want to seems reasonable. I know people (not just Biblical prophets, etc.) who say God has revealed Himself directly to them and that makes your point even more uncomfortable because He seems to do this for some but not others.

This said, I agree with Antony Flew in saying that the resurrection of Jesus from the dead � if true - is the best evidence of the existence of God, and specifically the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. �The evidence for the resurrection is better than for claimed miracles in any other religion�. Even if I believed I could script a better time, place and scenario for proving God�s existence (and I don�t), this is the best objective example we have. Considering how available and accessible the facts are to you and I, I suggest that God has revealed Himself to you and me and we shouldn�t be so quick to conclude otherwise. Are you willing to look at the historical facts on the resurrection claim and see where they lead?

Apollos

Date Posted: 26 March 2009 at 5:53pm

Since we agree that the existence of God is possible, would you also agree that raising someone from the dead is also possible? While this is currently an impossible event for humans to pull off, and certainly beyond the abilities of humans in 33 A.D., God � by the most minimal of definitions � could pull this off. I don�t know or care at this point if this event is a miracle or not. That is, maybe it is an invasion of natural laws or maybe it is just advanced knowledge of our natural laws. Either way, it is something humans can�t do and God � if He exists � could do. Do we agree on this?

Until recently, a person was considered dead once his/her heart stopped.  Now we know that CPR, administered soon enough, can restart the heart and bring the patient back.  So based on the standards of a century ago, we can already raise someone from the dead.

I believe that the current standard for death is a flat EEG.  Once brain activity stops, we consider the patient dead.  I have no doubt that in the next few decades we will find ways to restart the brain, at least in some cases.  There are already wealthy people with incurable diseases who are opting for cryogenic preservation after death, with the expectation that they will be brought back to life once a cure is found for their illness.

So no, I'm not sure I agree with you.  It depends on how you define death, and whether you mean impossible in principle or just impossible with current knowledge and technology.

Quote I appreciate your other suggestions for proving God�s existence but I suggest to you that these are not universal criteria. I have heard a host of other examples from skeptics and the only thing they seem to share is being subjective.

If you ask me next week I'll probably give you a completely different list of criteria, but that doesn't mean that I would no longer be convinced by the ones I am offering now, or that other skeptics' suggestions wouldn't also convince me.

Quote Are you willing to look at the historical facts on the resurrection claim and see where they lead?

I'm always willing to look, but frankly I think you're wasting your time.  Just how dead was Jesus?  Had he stopped breathing?  Did anyone even check?  Had his heart stopped?  Was he brain-dead?  Had decomposition begun?  We don't know, and it's hard to imagine how we ever could know.  Without any kind of physical evidence, all we have is a two thousand year old story.  The fact that a great many people heard the story, repeated it and perhaps wrote it down doesn't really prove anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 March 2009 at 6:05pm

As Salamu Alaikum, Apollos. If you can not understand me how can you understand the Bible.I do not use big words and Im not talking in circles.Maybe we can communicate better if you could only greet me properly for ounce.
Charis kai Eirene

Apollos

Date Posted: 26 March 2009 at 7:15pm

Until recently, a person was considered dead once his/her heart stopped.  Now we know that CPR, administered soon enough, can restart the heart and bring the patient back.  So based on the standards of a century ago, we can already raise someone from the dead.

I believe that the current standard for death is a flat EEG.  Once brain activity stops, we consider the patient dead.  I have no doubt that in the next few decades we will find ways to restart the brain, at least in some cases.  There are already wealthy people with incurable diseases who are opting for cryogenic preservation after death, with the expectation that they will be brought back to life once a cure is found for their illness.

So no, I'm not sure I agree with you.  It depends on how you define death, and whether you mean impossible in principle or just impossible with current knowledge and technology.

I mean really dead - brain waves and all.

Quote Are you willing to look at the historical facts on the resurrection claim and see where they lead?

I'm always willing to look, but frankly I think you're wasting your time.  Just how dead was Jesus?  Had he stopped breathing?  Did anyone even check?  Had his heart stopped?  Was he brain-dead?  Had decomposition begun?  We don't know, and it's hard to imagine how we ever could know.  Without any kind of physical evidence, all we have is a two thousand year old story.  The fact that a great many people heard the story, repeated it and perhaps wrote it down doesn't really prove anything.

Ron,

I will list the major reasons we know that Jesus was dead. And when I say �we�, I am not just referring to Christians. The consensus of skeptical historians is that Jesus died by crucifixion under Pontius Pilate.

1.      The disciples of Jesus publicly proclaimed their accounts in the midst of contemporaries who would have known the facts if they were otherwise. Though the Jews objected to the part about Jesus rising from the dead, they never claimed he had not died. They had great motivation to do so since these followers of Jesus were drawing people away from historical Judaism.

2.      The same scenario applied to the Romans who would have known if Jesus was not dead. They greatly disliked the impact Christians were having on the Roman Empire and had great motive and ability to squash the story if they thought Jesus had not died.

3.      Carrying on in the tradition of early Jewish anti-Christian thought, the Toledoth Jesu purports that Jesus' body was stolen away. While no body has ever been produced, these claims acknowledge that contemporary enemies of Christians believed Jesus had died and the tomb where he was laid was found empty.  

4.      Tacitus ( ca. 55-120 A.D.) a Roman historian, states that "Christus" the founder of Christianity suffered death at the hands of Pontius Pilate but this only stopped the "superstition" for a short while.

5.      Thallus (ca. 52 A.D.) tried to explain away the darkness that accompanied Jesus' death as an eclipse of the sun. Obviously, Jesus' crucifix­ion and the resurrection message promoted by the disciples immediately after Christ's death was accepted common knowledge to those alive at the time.

6.      Josephus (b. 37 A.D.) mentions the crucifixion of Jesus (Antiquities 18, chapter 3). Even though some believe the passage has been added to by Christians in later years, the underlined portion below is judged authentic by most scholars: Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, [if it be lawful to call him a man;] for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher [of such men as receive the truth with pleasure,] He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. [He was the Christ.] And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; [for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him.] And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

7.      The details and history of crucifixion show that people didn�t survive this form of execution. The Romans were good at it and they didn�t make such mistakes. But let�s imagine they did this one time. This meant Jesus was nailed to a cross as various eyewitnesses attest, he suffered incredible blood loss, paralysis of the upper body and overall shock before his legs were broken or a sword was put through his side. If he had survived all this (something there is no natural explanation for), he had to look dead to a Roman soldier who was experienced at ascertaining such things. He then had to stay alive while others made a tomb ready, wrapped him tightly in burial cloths, and placed him in a cold dark tomb. He would have had about hundred pounds of burial spices on top of him, and a large stone sealing off the entrance where guards were probably posted. If he somehow survived all this for several days without medical attention, food or water (something there is no natural explanation for) he had to somehow get out of the bindings, out from under the heavy spices, and out of the  tomb - by himself. Once outside he had to appear healthy and robust for the disciples needed to see him as the Lord of Life, not a pale bleeding, bruised and near dead man. The swoon theory is so unbelievable that even people who are determined to reject the resurrection as real, opt for other theories rather than this one.

8.   If Jesus continued living rather than rose from the dead, why did he disappear after 40 days? What would have been his motive and how would he have been able to hide?  Why wasn�t he recognized by people elsewhere after this? Even if he decided to stop preaching in public, someone would have noticed his stigmata. And how could he have evaded his followers who were so convinced he had risen from the dead? Surely he would hear of their torture and martyrdom for claiming that he had risen. Why wouldn�t he have had shown up to say: �Hey, look they are telling the truth, here I am�?

9. All the facts support the simple history that he was crucified and died. There is nothing but a theory to support the idea that he was only temporarily injured.

Apollos

Date Posted: 27 March 2009 at 5:19am

[QUOTE=Akhe Abdullah]As Salamu Alaikum, Apollos. If you can not understand me how can you understand the Bible.I do not use big words and Im not talking in circles.Maybe we can communicate better if you could only greet me properly for ounce.
<SPAN ="cgable cgable-over" title="View all messages with this subject" style="CURSOR: pointer" widget="" cmd="erView:subjectSearch">Charis kai Eirene
Xapis Kai Eipnun,Would this be the correct response?Do you speak and or read Greek? So I take it that since you are non-Muslim you cant greet me the same,dont worry it's not a form of conversion.

Date Posted: 27 March 2009 at 9:17am

Thank you for your kind comments, Abuayisha and Shasta�sAunt Smile .

As I see it, Muhammad (by way of the Quran) has in this case still provided the best, most concise, synthesis between Moses and Jesus, and he clearly did not have the advantage that we here enjoyed of specifically focusing upon and considering the matter for a fortnight.  To borrow wording from the Quran, �therein,� it seems to me, �is a sign,� even if only an understated one, for those who would see or perceive it.

It is also interesting to note, in analytic terms, that, whereas Ron�s synthesis was logical in nature, Apollos�s, relying, as it did, upon a complex reading and distillation of many, various New Testament parables and related scriptures, was a more inductive, theological form of reasoning, and seems thus somewhat analogous to what Muslims call ijtihad.  In other words, and again if only as I see it, Apollos, in the manner of an alim (scholar), read the scriptures and derived a judicial ruling.  It was by means of this exercising of ijtihad that he also wrote a synthesis which impresses me as largely in harmony with the Quran, though it is by no means as direct and concisely worded.

That is, stating it in the pointy-eared Spock�s famous word, �fascinating.�

(I am not meaning to be impolite by referring to anyone in the third person; I just didn�t want to address anyone specifically in the majority of this post.)

Serv

Date Posted: 27 March 2009 at 10:29am

[QUOTE=Akhe Abdullah]As Salamu Alaikum, Apollos. If you can not understand me how can you understand the Bible.I do not use big words and Im not talking in circles.Maybe we can communicate better if you could only greet me properly for ounce.
<SPAN ="cgable cgable-over" title="View all messages with this subject" style="CURSOR: pointer" widget="" cmd="erView:subjectSearch">Charis kai Eirene
Xapis Kai Eipnun,Would this be the correct response?Do you speak and or read Greek? So I take it that since you are non-Muslim you cant greet me the same,dont worry it's not a form of conversion.

Akhe Abdullah,

Since you greeted me with an English transliteration of the Arabic for �Peace be upon you�, I thought I should also use the English transliteration for my greeting. As you apparently know it comes from the Greek words meaning �Grace and Peace� and is a common greeting by Paul in his letters. While the last word is akin to the Jewish greeting of �Peace� or �Shalom�, the first word �Grace� was the common Greek greeting. Paul � and I here � tie the two together in this order to emphasize that Peace from God comes after Grace from God. I therefore wish upon you the Grace and Peace that comes from God. (I am not averse to "As Salamu Alaikum" but I wish more than just peace on you).

Apollos

Date Posted: 27 March 2009 at 9:21pm

I will list the major reasons we know that Jesus was dead. ...

Points 1 to 6 are easily disposed of because they are just hearsay.  I agree that it was widely and maybe universally believed that Christ died on the cross.  Lots of things are widely believed but eventually turn out not be true.  (Remember the "weapons of mass destruction"? Smile)  But the people whom you quote are merely reporting what others have said.  None of them is writing from his own knowledge.  Aside from the disciples (who are hardly impartial), none of them actually witnessed the event.

Point 7 needs to be broken down into pieces:

Quote The details and history of crucifixion show that people didn�t survive this form of execution. The Romans were good at it and they didn�t make such mistakes.

How do you know that?  Like doctors, they would have buried their mistakes.  Besides, this was anything but a routine crucifixion.  I'm sure the centurions, surrounded by wailing mourners accusing them of murdering their Messiah, wanted it over with as soon as possible.

Quote But let�s imagine they did this one time. This meant Jesus was nailed to a cross as various eyewitnesses attest, he suffered incredible blood loss, paralysis of the upper body and overall shock before his legs were broken or a sword was put through his side.

He probably didn't suffer "incredible blood loss" -- as you may be aware, crucifixion kills by asphyxiation, not blood loss.  He would not have been paralyzed, and they didn't break his legs.  A centurion did jab him in the side with a spear; but again, how hard would you have jabbed the reputed Son of God with his worshippers looking on?

Quote If he had survived all this (something there is no natural explanation for), he had to look dead to a Roman soldier who was experienced at ascertaining such things.

As I said earlier, if I recall correctly, an upright faint looks enough like death that dentists are taught to be on the lookout for it.  (I'll try to remember to ask my dentist about that next time I see him.  He's Jewish so he'll probably find the question amusing. Wink)

Quote He then had to stay alive while others made a tomb ready, wrapped him tightly in burial cloths, and placed him in a cold dark tomb. He would have had about hundred pounds of burial spices on top of him, and a large stone sealing off the entrance where guards were probably posted.

I believe the tomb was already prepared.  Wrapping and placing him to rest in a tomb would probably be the best thing for him -- but the Gospels are unclear about whether the process was completed.  Luke 23:56 says that by the time they had prepared the spices and ointments the Sabbath had begun, so they waited.

Quote If he somehow survived all this for several days without medical attention, food or water (something there is no natural explanation for) he had to somehow get out of the bindings, out from under the heavy spices, and out of the  tomb - by himself.

How do you know he had no medical attention, food or water -- or help?  We don't know what happened to him after the women left him.  All we know is that the next time they return, the tomb is empty and the guards are gone.  Where did he go and who was he with?  And not incidentally, where did the guards go?  We just don't know.

Quote Once outside he had to appear healthy and robust for the disciples needed to see him as the Lord of Life, not a pale bleeding, bruised and near dead man.

Nothing in the Gospels suggests that he was "robust and healthy".  I'm sure his followers were sufficiently impressed that the prophecy had been fulfilled, whatever his condition.

Quote The swoon theory is so unbelievable that even people who are determined to reject the resurrection as real, opt for other theories rather than this one.

Would that include Pilate, who also found it hard to believe that he was dead so quickly?

Then there's

Quote 8.   If Jesus continued living rather than rose from the dead, why did he disappear after 40 days? What would have been his motive and how would he have been able to hide?  Why wasn�t he recognized by people elsewhere after this? Even if he decided to stop preaching in public, someone would have noticed his stigmata. And how could he have evaded his followers who were so convinced he had risen from the dead? Surely he would hear of their torture and martyrdom for claiming that he had risen. Why wouldn�t he have had shown up to say: �Hey, look they are telling the truth, here I am�?

Because once they found out they hadn't killed him the first time, they would have arrested him and given him an encore.  If you had a narrow escape like that, wouldn't you disappear too?

And
Quote 9. All the facts support the simple history that he was crucified and died. There is nothing but a theory to support the idea that he was only temporarily injured.

Well, aside from the fact that he was still alive three days later!  It reminds me of those incredulous villains in movies who leave their victim for dead and then meet up with him later in the film.  "You can't be alive!  I murdered you!" LOL

P.S.: Sorry this was so long.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2009 at 6:12am

[QUOTE=Akhe Abdullah]As Salamu Alaikum, Apollos. If you can not understand me how can you understand the Bible.I do not use big words and Im not talking in circles.Maybe we can communicate better if you could only greet me properly for ounce. [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

I therefore wish upon you the Grace and Peace that comes from God. (I am not averse to "As Salamu Alaikum" but I wish more than just peace on you).
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah:Peace and the Mercy of Allah be upon you.I speak this language daily,Do you speak Greek daily or even Jewish? You wish me more than peace,Shukran(thank you)I will leave you with this,      Suratul Kafirun: Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim. Qul Ya aiyuhal Kafirun, La a budun,wa la antum Abiduna ma a bud, wa la ana abidum ma abidum ma abattum wa la antm abiduna ma a bud, Lakum dinukum wa liya din.                                                     Transliteration:In the name of Allah, the Most Merciful,the Most Kind.   Say: O unbelievers! I do not worship what you worship, and you do not worship what I worship. Nor will I worship what you worship, and you will not worship what I worship. You have your own religion and I have mine.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net