URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1432
Printed Date: 16 April 2024 at 4:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wrong Chinese text in Avatar
Posted By: Alfandi
Subject: Wrong Chinese text in Avatar
Date Posted: 10 July 2005 at 1:25am

Assalam alaikum!

Islamicity Forum offers many avatars for the registered members.

However, I found one avatar which shows the meaning of 'Peace' with Kanzi (Chinese text) is wrong. the word 'peace' is '��ƽ', but I saw 'ƽ��' on the avatar. That is different.

Replies:
Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 10 July 2005 at 1:33am

Aleykum Selam ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Brother,

Welcome to islamicity,i think u are writing from China,please share ur thoughts with us because i don't know any of a user from China,u may enlighten us about islam in China and it's new economical situation effects the world...i wish u will love ur stay,insh'allah...

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 10 July 2005 at 3:12am

Assalamu alaikum Brother Alfandi,

OH, OH!!!  What does this avatar say then?  I hope it is not something bad!!!!  Please let me know.  I will change it if it is.  Thank you for pointing this out.  I love kanzi symbols, they are so beautiful.

I have some of them on my arm (tattoos I got years ago, before I was a Muslim).  After I got them I worried that they might not say what I intended.  Then I met a lady from China (whose last name was Hui, by the way) and she read them right away and they were correct (thank goodness, since they don't come off!!!).

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 10 July 2005 at 8:38am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah

The Kanji in sister Ummziba's Avatar reads "Heiwa" in Japanese, which means peace.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 10 July 2005 at 8:52am

Assalamu alaikum Sister Nausheen and welcome back!

Glad to see you back on the boards!  I hope all is well with you and your family.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 10 July 2005 at 9:04pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah

Originally posted by Ummziba Ummziba wrote:

Glad to see you back on the boards!  I hope all is well with you and your family.

Alhamdulillah all is well at my end sis. Jazak allah khair, and I hope the same for you, as well as everyone else.

Am not sure for how long am here, but I haven't returned on a regular basis yet.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Posted By: Arabian
Date Posted: 10 July 2005 at 9:46pm
Suleyman,

You said, "u may enlighten us about islam in China."  Have you ever witnessed Asians perform du'aa in Chinese/Japanese/ even Korean?  It is a most beautiful sight!  I watched this a few months back and I must say, every hair on my body stood on end.

Peace,
Arabian

-------------
�...the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before We clove them asunder, and We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?�
(The Quran, 21:30)

Date Posted: 11 July 2005 at 1:11am

In Chinese, peace is '��ƽ' (just reverse the order of the two characters in the avatar), and reads as 'Her Ping'.

'ƽ��' is also a good word, it describes one's personality: peaceful, gentle.

Islam came to China about 1000 years ago. Three sahabas had been to China long long ago. Today there are about 20,000 mosqes in China. 

Date Posted: 11 July 2005 at 1:34am

ummziba,

If your Chinese friend's name is read as * * Hui, then I am sure Hui is not her surname, but given name.  As you know, the oriental people put their surname before given name. Last time Mr. Jorge W. Bush made such a mistake when he was meeting with the former Prime Minister of Singapore Mr. Lee Kuan Yao, whose surname is 'Lee', but Mr. Bush called him Mr. Yao.  

Among the Hui Chinese community, you will find most of them has a surname of 'Ma'.   

Date Posted: 11 July 2005 at 4:18am

Assalamu alaikum Brother Alfandi,

Thank you for the information.  I guess I will leave my avatar, I like to think that I at least strive to be peaceful and gentle!

The lady that I knew had reversed her name when she became a Canadian citizen (some Chinese do this, I guess they get tired of people here always getting their names wrong!).  She had a lovely Chinese given name, that I can't recall, but she went by an "english" name, so she was called Karen Hui.

It is a shame when people feel they must change themselves because others are naive or ignorant.  But, I suppose constantly having to repeat and explain your name could get very tiring.  By the way, there are some people in my city with the surname Ma, Maa and Maah, though I do not know them personally.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net