Forum Description: Basics of Islam
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13933
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 11:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hijab
Posted By: Talib_Asadullah
Subject: Hijab
Date Posted: 07 January 2009 at 11:47am
Hijab, whats in it for you sister? 5 Advantages.

Are there any sisters here who dont feel like they need to wear hijab?

• I can�t be messed with! Hijab protects me � Hijab identifies a Muslim woman as a person of high moral standards to reduce her chances of being harassed.
     �O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons: that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested.� [Quran 33:59]
    As Dr. Katherine Bullock (a Canadian convert and community activist) observes, �The point to covering is not that sexual attraction is bad, only that it should be expressed between a husband and wife inside the privacy of the home. A public space free of sexual tensions is seen as a more peaceful place for human beings, men and women, to interact, do business, and build a healthy civilization.�

• I am liberated from slavery to �physical perfection� � Society makes women desire to become �perfect objects�. The multitudes of alluring fashion magazines and cosmetic surgeries show women�s enslavement to beauty. The entertainment industry pressures teens to believe that for clothes, less is better. When we wear Hijab, we vow to liberate ourselves from such desires and serve only God.

• I don�t let others judge me by my hair and curves! � In schools and professional environments, women are often judged by their looks or bodies�characteristics they neither chose nor created. Hijab forces society to judge women for their value as human beings, with intellect, principles, and feelings. A woman in Hijab sends a message, �Deal with my brain, not my body!�

• I feel empowered and confident � In contrast to today�s teenage culture, where anorexia and suicide are on the rise, as women attempt to reach an unattainable ideal of beauty, Hijab frees a woman from the pressure to �fit in�. She does not have to worry about wearing the right kind of jeans or the right shade of eyeshadow. She can feel secure about her appearance because she cares to please only Allah.

• I feel the bond of unity � Hijab identifies us as Muslims and encourages other Muslim sisters to greet us with the salutation of peace, �Assalamu Alaikum�. Hijab draws others to us and immerses us in good company.

Source: "Hijab: Fabric, Fad or Faith?" - Latest Young Muslims Publications.

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Replies:
Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 10 February 2009 at 8:04pm

Interesting :) I particularly like 2, 3 and 4.  Smile

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 11 February 2009 at 8:56am
AlhamduillahSmile

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 14 February 2009 at 5:53am
Asa:

So brothers, when are you going to start being recognized as muslim and follow the sunnah and follow the prophets example? I do not see many with beards or who dress islamically. Are we not exhorted to not dress or look as non muslims? I believe in equality for men too.

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 14 February 2009 at 8:26am
Alhamduillah!!!

I also totally 100% agree my sister!

I dont understand when I see a man and wife. The wife in Niqab and the brother has no hair on his face. Whats the deal with this. He expects the woman to cover head to toe of course, but he doesnt do what he is supposed to do?! There is no power or might besides Allah.

What do you consider dressing "Islamically"? I suspect its the tight shirts and pants worn by brothers and walking around exposed in regards the knees,etc.

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Posted By: JihadX
Date Posted: 14 February 2009 at 5:08pm
Mariyah: I agree with you sister. This is why I dump the western clothing and wear thobe or shalwar qameez. Because i am in my last year of High school, I wear my islamic robes on weekends only for now. I prefer them before american wears anyday. My beard is still tiny but  I will never shaveSmile
What do you sisters think about niqab? Hijab is good but niqab seems wonderful. It shows much modesty. It is a growing trend in my community now.

Btw, I see you are from Mexico or do you just live there? My exercise partner is mexican and he is good friend. He is interested in Arabic and I am trying to to teach him of what I know. My spanish is also good, i've been learning spanish and portuguese. Spanish= 7 years and portuguese= 2 years. I also have a friend from Colombia and my spanish accent is Colombian.Wink

Now i am interested in eastern languages but my school doesn't offer so i have to use the internet and friends.

Back to the subject, i think that we should all try to follow the sunnah best way possible!

-------------
�The knife that slaughtered the guards at Bagram and set us free is now on its way to other places,�
_ The Mujahid, The Eminent, Sheikh Abu Yahya Al Libi

Date Posted: 14 February 2009 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by mariyah mariyah wrote:

Asa:

So brothers, when are you going to start being recognized as muslim and follow the sunnah and follow the prophets example? I do not see many with beards or who dress islamically. Are we not exhorted to not dress or look as non muslims? I believe in equality for men too.

Wink Good one.

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 14 February 2009 at 10:56pm
Mashallah brothers well said. U pass mine and sis Mariyah's 'Fair Muslim Brother' test . . . Tongue  (kidding, don' be scared. no such thing) :p

Jihad: Niqaab is a good option, for those sisters who can observe it easily. There is always room for improvement. I really respect my muslim sisters who do so. Also bro, no harm in wearing jeans and t-shirts (american apparel) as long as u r not exposing the parts ur supposed to keep hidden. But ofcourse you are correct that the eastern apparrel is very comfy - not to mention it has certain benefits for the men who wear them, tight clothing is not reccommended medically. And Mashallah, your linguistic skills are incredible! *envious* (in a good way)

-------------

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 14 February 2009 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by JihadX JihadX wrote:

Mariyah: I agree with you sister. This is why I dump the western clothing and wear thobe or shalwar qameez. Because i am in my last year of High school, I wear my islamic robes on weekends only for now. I prefer them before american wears anyday. My beard is still tiny but  I will never shaveSmile
What do you sisters think about niqab? Hijab is good but niqab seems wonderful. It shows much modesty. It is a growing trend in my community now.

Btw, I see you are from Mexico or do you just live there? My exercise partner is mexican and he is good friend. He is interested in Arabic and I am trying to to teach him of what I know. My spanish is also good, i've been learning spanish and portuguese. Spanish= 7 years and portuguese= 2 years. I also have a friend from Colombia and my spanish accent is Colombian.Wink

Now i am interested in eastern languages but my school doesn't offer so i have to use the internet and friends.

Back to the subject, i think that we should all try to follow the sunnah best way possible!

Your spirit is high, thats good. However IMHO, the value of muslim is not from what he or she wear but much depend on how she or she act.

So for muslim women I support 100% if she could wear hijab. However for muslim men I don't think they have to wear shalwar qameez. Shalwar qameez is not a sunah of the Prophet pbuh. To me should be the essence not the model, as long as it cover the "aurat" will be fine. Why I support hijab, because in my understanding, hair, neck is part of the women's "aurat" based on what the quran says.

The model/type/shape of hijab can be any depend on the local culture. So to me western clothing for men with ties, tuxedos, jackets, trousers are totally acceptable. Again you don't have to wear shalwar qameez to be good muslims, if as muslim we have to wear shalwar qameez, it will be no muslim CEO in wall street, because shalwar qameez is not acceptable in wall street.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Date Posted: 15 February 2009 at 5:45am
Chrysalis: lol 'Fair Muslim Brother' test.. I try my best.
 I wish I knew more languages, it's a great hobby to learn.

Semar: I agree, the muslim man doesn't have to wear eastern clothing. This depends on the individual. I see many brothers who prefer Tuxedo. I personally do not like it because it reminds me of the black suit that Jews wear in USA. Also, I think that more of us should practice sunnah and grow really long beards. Talib suggested and I agree. If your wife is wearing niqab, you should be on the same level as her. A beard would be nice

-------------
�The knife that slaughtered the guards at Bagram and set us free is now on its way to other places,�

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 16 February 2009 at 6:44pm
Jihadx: Again the value of Muslim both in the eyes of Allah and the eyes of human being are the same, it is not judged by how long our beard or what model our clothes are. But most of it judged by our ACTIONS, BEHAVES AND MANNERS. In our neighborhood we will be judged on how we treat our family, our neighbor, our colleges, friends. In working place, how hard we work, whether we come on time, also when we go to the bath room or kitchen we left it dry and clean or not. In our school, how hard we study, do we do our homework, do we say politely to the teacher, etc.

If we are judged by the beard, will be not fair because many Indonesian, Malaysian and other south east Asian people their beard do not even grow.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 9:06am
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

Jihadx: Again the value of Muslim both in the eyes of Allah and the eyes of human being are the same, it is not judged by how long our beard or what model our clothes are. But most of it judged by our ACTIONS, BEHAVES AND MANNERS.

If we are judged by the beard, will be not fair because many Indonesian, Malaysian and other south east Asian people their beard do not even grow.

Alhamduillah Rabbil Alamin

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Verily, Allah Subhanu wa Ta Ala says:

We sent not an apostle, but to be obeyed, in accordance with the will of Allah. If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful.But no, by the Lord, they can have no (real) Faith, until they make thee judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against Thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction. Holy Qur'an 4:64-65

Verily, Allahs Messenger{SAWS} says,

"Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)."  (Narrated by Ibn 'Umar{RAA}-- Sahih Bukhari--Book http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=72&translator=1&start=0&number=781 - #72 , Hadith http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=72&translator=1&start=0&number=781#781 - #781 )

As to what follows...

You wont be held responsible for how much your beard grows. You will be held responsible from preventing it from growing i.e. CUTTING IT OFF. Not cutting the beard is an action in accordance with the commands of Allah and His Messenger{SAWS}.

I pray that Allah Subhanu wa Ta Ala illuminates our hearts with Iman and that He makes us a bright shining light among disbelief. Ameen.

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 2:15pm
I understand. I don't think that men are always judged by their beard. I dislike those who shave, there is no excuse for them. Most muslims in the west who aren't salafi will shave. They like to shave and they will tell you that they do it because of America. Many citizens here think if a man has a long beard and he's wearing islamic clothes, he is a "terrorist"! This is really common. I will never shave. I like the really long beards, 10 inches or so.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 7:09pm

I understand. I don't think that men are always judged by their beard. I dislike those who shave, there is no excuse for them. Most muslims in the west who aren't salafi will shave. They like to shave and they will tell you that they do it because of America. Many citizens here think if a man has a long beard and he's wearing islamic clothes, he is a "terrorist"! This is really common. I will never shave. I like the really long beards, 10 inches or so.

Assalamu Alaikum

Alhamduillah Akhi.

The shortest the beard should be is the length of the fist.

The question is, is the Lord of these brothers America or Allah?

There is something I read from Al Ghazzali one time, and I will paraphase because I didnt remember verbatim(Maybe I can find it for you). He said, "The world is like a woman. She seeks your hand in marriage and she asks of your Deen for her dowry. And she wont be satisfied until she has every bit of it..."

And brother, I am only concerned about being judged by The Judger.

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 7:27pm
Mashallah! Thank you for the information..
Jazak Allah Khayr!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 1:53am

Actually bro, America or not - unfortunately, not many Muslim men keep beards.

I found your 10inch beard comment amusing. Smile Mashallah you are very passionate about the sunnah. There is no need/compulsion to have a Dumbledore-like beard . . .On the contrary, what  Umar (r.a) used to do was, he would hold his beard in a fist - and trim the remaining off. Trimming the beard i.e. keeping it neat and smart is reccommended. So is combing it, and moving fingers through it during wudhu (to keep it clean) - just incase you hadnt come across it - though you probably did.

Also, people of other faiths, e.g. Sikhs, and some Jews I think - tend to keep reeeally long beards - so it would be Sunnah to not follow them, hence keep it to an Umar-like level. (Both Sikhs and Jews cant trim thier beards at all)

-------------

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 10:31am
Also what about clothing that is about supporting  an 'image'? I heard a scholar asking a group of young teens why they wear this and that-shirts with abercrombie etc. on them. What are you paying this for etc etc.

Was interesting topic

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: savant
Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 10:41am
[I dislike those who shave, there is no excuse for them.];

dislike sin not them :)

anyhow nice chit chat

Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 12:41pm
Interesting point Hayfa. Nowadays everything is about 'how you express yourselves' (Facebook, music . . . T-shirts!)

some Muslim men will wear really wierd T-shirts...with wierd slogans. I knew a brother in school - who was a namazi, and had a beard , but wore a t-shirt that said: '99% of the chicks are pretty, the rest are in my school' !!! And dont get me started on those French Connection shirts!

As for the brand image... I agree completely. We should be concious about what image we support as well.... More often than not the consumer doesnt know!!! E.g, perhaps some ppl dont know Tommy Hielfiger is a racist, and said that his clothes were meant for a certain class of ppl and that he didnt want so-and-so wearing them. Sometimes they do know, but dont care ? (like this sister I saw, who apparently thought the 'playboy bunny' symbol was just an innocent one....)

That was an interesting point u brought up.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 1:38pm
I see. This is a good idea, I just like the idea of having a very long beard. It makes me think wisdom when I see an old man with a long beard.
About the t-shirts, I agree. Those kinds of shirts are very popular here and should not be worn by muslims.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 5:07pm

I see. This is a good idea, I just like the idea of having a very long beard. It makes me think wisdom when I see an old man with a long beard.
About the t-shirts, I agree. Those kinds of shirts are very popular here and should not be worn by muslims.

Masha'Allah, you will have a long beard.

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Date Posted: 19 February 2009 at 4:00am
inshallah

-------------

Date Posted: 19 February 2009 at 5:27pm

inshallah

Have you tried growing it out, akhi??

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Date Posted: 20 February 2009 at 3:48am

Of course but it takes a long time right now, It's small

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2009 at 9:17am
Alhamduillah

Thats all that matters, as long as you try.

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Posted By: Nur_Ilahi
Date Posted: 25 April 2009 at 10:39pm
Assalamualaikum.

Just to recap. I had posted this info before here.

There are always hikmah or wisdom behind the rules that Allah introduced to His Servants. Putting on the hijab is actually His show of Raheem (mercy).

A man's Nafs (lust/desire/passion/ego) starts from the eyes. While for a woman, it is from the touch. Therefore a woman who wants to avoid the beginnings of zina (fornication) should modestly cover her head till toe (except the face and hands).

Some men's Nafs starts from just seeing the hair, some from seeing the neck, some the bu.ms, some the figure, most men will ogle at a woman's boo.ps. And for a woman, we get easily excited when we are touched even if it is accidentally.

Wearing a hijab for a woman is not only a protection of herself from sins of fornication, but also a protection for the family and for the society in general. Because the men that are looking at them are the sons, the brothers, the fathers, the husbands, the uncles, the grandfathers of a family.

And by lowering the gaze for a man, he is doing a duty towards himself and his family but also for the society, Because the women are the daughters, the sisters, the mothers, the wives the aunts, the grandmothers of somebody's family.

Therefore in this ruling, we are not only saving ourselves, but also our family and our society.

AllahulAleem.

-------------
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.

Date Posted: 26 April 2009 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

Assalamualaikum.

And for a woman, we get easily excited when we are touched even if it is accidentally.

Wa'alaikumsalaam Nur.

I dont think that statement is exactly true. . . not only is it unfactual, it may be considered on the verge of offensive by some.

-------------

Posted By: Nur_Ilahi
Date Posted: 26 April 2009 at 3:04am

Ok, I beg pardon. I guess I put it wrongly.

But there is a kind of excitement even if it is a small one. How should I describe it?

Perhaps like a tingling sensation.

I think this is true when we are younger when adrenaline flow is high.

-------------
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net