URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13315
Printed Date: 27 April 2024 at 3:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Response to Istikhara
Posted By: Ruhi Islam
Subject: Response to Istikhara
Date Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:03pm
Salam alaikum ww sisters and brothers

I want to know how exactly one is responded to when they pray istikhara. Is it dreams, signs, feelings or obstacles?

For the married ones among you, I am assuming you prayed istikhara before getting married, how exactly did you know it was 'meant to be' thereafter? In what way/s was your istikhara responded to? And for the unmarried ones, how did you know it wasn't good?

Alhamdula I have prayed istikhara, but sometimes I simply do not know! I dont know if I am driven by my heart, brain or stomach (as in butterflies) etc. I don't know if it is good or otherwise, sometimes I am nervous, sometimes I am happy, but I think overall I am at peace. What do you do in such a case when you simply do not know?

Thanks guys and galsSmile fe'amanAllah

Replies:
Posted By: Shasta'sAunt
Date Posted: 06 October 2008 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Ruhi Islam Ruhi Islam wrote:

Salam alaikum ww sisters and brothers

I want to know how exactly one is responded to when they pray istikhara. Is it dreams, signs, feelings or obstacles?

For those of you lucky married ones, I am assuming you prayed istikhara before getting married, how exactly did you know it was 'meant to be' thereafter? In what way/s was your istikhara responded to?

Alhamdula I have prayed istikhara, but sometimes I simply do not know! I dont know if I am driven by my heart, brain or stomach (as in butterflies) etc. I don't know if it is good or otherwise, sometimes I am nervous, sometimes I am happy, but I think overall I am at peace. What do you do in such a case when you simply do not know?

Thanks guys and galsSmile fe'amanAllah

Assalamu Alaikum:

There isn't anything mystical about it. You are asking Allah to bring you what is best for you and to make you happy with it or to keep away what is bad for you and to make you happy with that.

For example: you might get a job promotion if you are willing to move to a new city. You pray istikhara and ask Allah to bring what is best for you and your faith and let you be happy with that and take away what is not good for you and let you be happy with that. So if you get the promotion and decide to move then Insha'Allah it will be good for you, if the promotion falls through then Insha'Allah that is best for you. Either way, you have asked for Allah's guidance and that He help you accept the outcome as what is best for you and your Iman.

When I was looking for a husband I knew a Sister in another state whose husband had a single friend. They were very religious and said he was a good man, so he flew out to spend a week and meet with me and my wali.
When I saw him he was extremely handsome and charming, so I was very attracted to him. His mom was in the states visiting from Egypt and she spoke English so I spoke with her on the phone. She was very sweet and wanted him to be married. He had bought a diamond ring that was my size...

It all seemed perfect and since I found him SO appealling I wanted to marry him. He wanted to marry me. He was willing to do an engagement period and travel back and forth so we could get to know each other better. My wali checked him out as best he could and he seemed like a solid Brother. I prayed istikhara the whole week he was in town. And then the day before he was supposed to leave we were going to a restaurant  for dinner. My friend, her husband, there two children, and he and I were in their van talking and he got upset about something and made us stop the van and he got out in the middle of downtown during rush hour and refused to get back in. We had to circle around the block 4 or 5 times before he would get back in the van. It was crazy.

Of course, I didn't marry him. He clearly had anger issues. But it still hurt a little because I really liked him and was very attracted to him. I had wanted to marry him, but Al HamdilAllah I got to see his anger and how unreasonable he was before I made the mistake of marrying him.

This is how I think the Istikhara prayer works. We ask Allah to guide us because we don't always know what's the best for us when we are dazzled or we REALLY want something or just aren't sure, and then once we are given that guidance we ask that Allah make it easy for us to accept, even if it is disappointing or not what we thought we wanted/ didn't want.

-------------
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 06 October 2008 at 5:47pm
JazakAllah khairan sister, I like the way you said there is nothing mystical about it, and you are absolutely right, but sometimes, and this is the truth, I simply do not know...my sister got married to a guy, before the marriage she was nervous and her husband had a dream they were upset sitting far away from each other, regardless of these 'signs' they still got married and of course, 3 yrs later got divorced.

I guess you know at the end when you look back yeah? but then it might be too late. I tend to be a little blind to signs, if it is not black and white, I simply won't see it. My feelings change...I don't know, you can see how confused I am.

I always pray, Oh Allah, if someone is not meant to be, then don't send them to me, don't raise my hopes if at the end it's not going to work out, and when you do send someone, make them the be all and the end all, and once you have given them to me, don't take them away.

Now alhamdula I have someone in my life, it's still the very early stages, but I've had heaps in my life, I hope this one is the final one, I hate to tell guys about myself for it to be in jest, even though I know our intention was for marriage and that whatever I told him is safe...

I am so glad we have the concept of istikhara in Islam, I just wish I was more literate in interpreting it...or maybe it doesnt require any interpreting? I dont know! Anyways thanks sis

-------------
Judge the deed, not the breed. Islam & Muslims are two different things, a Muslim should not necessarily be associated with Islam.

Date Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:01am
Assalamu Alaikum:

Maybe he had the dream because he had doubts to begin with?

This article was actually just sent to me by an e-group I belong to, maybe it's a sign...Smile

Istikharah: The Guidance Prayer
We are humans, powerless in this sphere of life, knowledgeable only
enough to survive. So why shouldn't we turn to Allah and seek His
perfect help whenever we require it? Allah responds to the call of
His servant when he asks for guidance, and we are after all seeking
to do something in order to please Him.

Istikharah means to ask Allah to guide you to the path best for you
concerning an affair with two halal options. In matters that are
wajib (obligatory), haram (forbidden) or makruh (disliked) there is
no need to pray Istikharah. Salaat-ul-Istikharah should only be used
for matters that are mubah (allowed) or in matters that are mustahabb
(liked or encouraged), in which there is a decision to be made as to
which one should be given priority (i.e. get married or go to grad
school).

Many wrong notions exist concerning istikharah. Many Muslims will
pray, read the du'a, and run to bed expecting to see a dream showing
them their future wife, what her favourite colour is, and some other
weird fantasy. That is not the purpose of this salat.

The results of an istikharah can take many forms. Basically, you go
by your feelings, whether you now feel more favourable or not. Also,
you may notice events have changed, either for or against you. Note
that you must follow the results of an istikharah, because not doing
so is tantamount to rejecting Allah's guidance once you've asked for
it. Also, you should firstly clear your mind, not have your mind
already decided, and then afterwards follow the results willingly.

It is a sunnah that, if one must choose between permissible
alternaratives, one may pray two non-obligatory rak'at, even if they
are of the sunnah prayers or a prayer for entering the mosque, and so
on, during any time of the day or night, and to recite therein
whatever one wishes of the Qur'an after reciting al-Fatihah. Then one
praises Allah and sends salutations to the Prophet and recites the
supplication in the Hadith below.

The description of Salaat-ul-Istikharah was narrated by Jabir
ibn 'Abd- Allah al-Salami (may Allah be pleased with him) who said:
    "The Messenger of Allah used to teach his companions to make
istikharah in all things, just as he used to teach them surahs from
the Qur'an.

He said: 'If any one of you is concerned about a decision he has to
make, then let him pray two rak'ahs of non-obligatory prayer, then
say:

'O Allah, I seek Your guidance [in making a choice] by virtue of Your
knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You
of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I
know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allah, if in Your
knowledge, this matter (then it should be mentioned by name) is good
for me both in this world and in the Hereafter (or: in my religion,
my livelihood and my affairs), then ordain it for me, make it easy
for me, and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for
me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both
in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it
away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make
me pleased with it."

The Prophet added that then the person should mention his need.
[Sahih Bukhari]
Salat-ul-Istikharah is just two rakats of a non-obligatory prayer,
prayed at anytime during the day, with a specific dua at the end.
While reciting the dua, you should be thinking about the situation
you want to be advised about with pure intentions and from the bottom
of your heart. And Allah says that whenever he guides a heart aright
it can never be misguided. Afterwards, you should 'have a good
feeling' about one of your options. Whatever option you feel is best
right after you say the dua should be your decision. If you're still
in doubt, you can repeat.

An-Nawawi holds that
    "...after performing the istikharah, a person must do what he
is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and
should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making
the istikharah. And if his feelings change, he should leave what he
had intended to do, otherwise he is not completely leaving the choice
to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking aid from Allah's power
and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice, means that one
should completely leave what he himself had desired or determined."
Some people mistakenly wait for a dream to give a clear sign as to
what decision to make, but this is not true, and often times it never
really happens. In fact, dreams may lead you away from what Allah
wants you to do, as Shaytan might try to deceive you in your dreams.

Salat-ul-Istikharah is for everybody. It's a way for all of us to
implore Allah for divine guidance and mercy. It is yet another
invaluable resource from Allah to keep us on the straight and narrow
Sirat al-Mustaqim. The Prophet told all Muslims about Istikharah, not
just the scholars. Despite this gift, too many of us take the advice
of our friends and parents, or accept the norms of our society and
act without ever wondering what Allah wants us to do. We must stop
looking to the dunya for guidance. We must begin to consult Allah.

I cannot provide a better conclusion than saying that you must put
your trust in Allah. You must have trust in His concern for us, and
His ability to help us. Allah says:
    "Put your trust in All�h, certainly, All�h loves those who
put their trust (in Him)." [Surah Al-Imran Ayah 159]
http://www.islaam.net/main/display.php?id=608&category=7 - - http://www.islaam.net/main/display.php?id=608&category=7

==
==

By Mufti Ebrahim Desai
POSTED: 4 RABI-UL-AWWAL 1422, 27 MAY 2001

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 09 October 2008 at 12:39pm
JazakAllah khairan so much sister, I really enjoyed that! Nothing new, nothing surprising, plain reminder, great reminder. Alhamdula for istikhara.

Sis, what do you mean maybe it's a sign? Im not sure if I can say this here, but the current guy in my life seems just a little bit too loose, and his values are shallow and superficial.

Sometimes I'd get so nervous about him, other times, I'm fine, but you know what, as neutral as I am about the whole situation, I doubt it will blossom, simply because everytime we talk things quickly turn 'adult' rated and I keep telling him if he is serious, then to stop.

Also, he doesn't come online very much...I'll see how things go inshala, mmm now what did I learn from this experience I do not know, inshala wherever the good is, we'll be guided to it. I don't think I have any regrets alhamdula, if it works out, then great, if not, then great as I know I am made that much closer to the right one inshala.

Sis I know you dont know me, but will you please pray for me? Thanks love, thank you for taking the time to answer my thread.

-------------
Judge the deed, not the breed. Islam & Muslims are two different things, a Muslim should not necessarily be associated with Islam.

Posted By: Gulliver
Date Posted: 09 October 2008 at 12:57pm

I had not heard of this prayer Shasta.  I said it tonight and I got an 'answer', one I could not have expected within an hour. God is good :-)

Date Posted: 09 October 2008 at 1:27pm
Good to know a non-Muslim used that prayer! Smile

You read the translations, you can see there is nothing scary about it, and having read it has not made you a Muslim, but hopefully, one day we will all be guided to the right path. Ameen

-------------

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:22pm
As'Salamu Alaikum,

A very good discussion going on here.

By the way sister Shasta, did you return that diamond set.Smile

Certainly, thru Isteqarah, we seek guidance and Allah swt does guide us to the best path thru it. We happen to hear mostly, that people offer this salah, esp while settling marriages. While, we can also offer it, for our other important decisions of life. Anyways, i would like to share one of my experiences. A marriage proposal was getting settled of a sister. Her family and herself was offering Isqarah. They cud not understand any such  sign or message from Allah swt. They settled itafter thorough investigations. Dates were finalised. This news was spread all over her freinds and families. Few days before the day of her marriage, that family of groom's side themselves, called up and invited elders to meet. There they said, though we did not wish to let this news out, but seeing you people very simple, we do not wish to cheat. They said that the BOY WAS ALREADY MARRIED. Thus, today she feels that it was Isteqarah, that saved her, even when they cud not understand those signs from Allah swt, Anyways, Allah swt certainly guides the one, who seeks guidance.

But sister Ruhi, i was reading this line of yours

always pray, Oh Allah, if someone is not meant to be, then don't send them to me, don't raise my hopes if at the end it's not going to work out, and when you do send someone, make them the be all and the end all, and once you have given them to me, don't take them away

I understand, its tough for a girl to meet the end, which does not work out, but remember, even such acts are also rewarded by Allah swt, The alliance which may not work out, must not be worth of you, and must not have stored the best for you, So it does n't work out. Being with patience at such times is rewarding.

And if you don't mind, i would like to say something about the partner you are going to choose. Never expect perfection in any. But yes, look for a practicing muslim. When he is religious, insha Allah, you shall have a good life both here and hereafter, Insha Allah. Don't haste while making such decisions, saying that this is going to be last or final --. After all its matter of rest of life.

Thru Isteqarah, as said, you may not necessarily dream, but your heart may also get inclined towards a decision. I pray Allah swt, that he blesses you with a good husband, who shall help you strive and acheive for goodness, both here and hereafter. Ameen.

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 10 October 2008 at 3:34am
Hello Ruhi

How you you know I am not a Muslim ;-) lol

I try to seek God above and beyond all created things, in the hope that in finding God, I will know all things, and love all as God intends all be loved - as a proper 'vice-regent' should do :-) I pray for the 'grace' always to 'submit' to the will of God in all things, as Jesus told us to do, and as I believe God is Love - and Love Alone will satisfy the heart and soul for which it's been created. God/Allah Alone. You might use other words that mean the same thing - Al-Rahim, Al-Rahman, Al-Wadud - etc. Well they speak the same thing to me anyway.

I remember my first introdution to the compassionate heart of God. Represented on a little piece of white paper in brown ink. I remember wondering why 'God' seemed so 'sad'. I was five years old. Forty years ago. I have looked for that God ever since. I found Him in the most unusual places. But the one place I think God wants to be known more than anywhere else - in the heart. When we begin to find God in our own heart - we develop a compassionate heart too, and more easily see God in all others - even those who MIGHT seem - seem mind you - less than 'Godly'.

Have to admit Ruhi - I am reluctant to use labels for anyone. They create disharmony more often than not.

I don't know that I can, or ever will be able to accept Muhammad as superior to Jesus, Ruhi, and that's just how it is. But I don't know what the future holds. My intent is sincere though and God's will be done - whatever that be. :-)

God bless

Date Posted: 10 October 2008 at 3:44am
What strikes me about the Qu'ran is how so many, maybe most, all of the chapters begin by referring to God as the Most Compassionate and Merciful.  Love, Compassion and Mercy.  This for me is Allah / God.

One little thing that came to mind.  I am not a Muslim. I offered a Muslim prayer to God at it seemed it was accepted ? Is there not something that says that Muslim prayer offered by non Muslims is not acceptable to God ?

I may be wrong - but I thought I read something here about that the other day.

Posted By: Friendship
Date Posted: 10 October 2008 at 1:26pm

Assalamu alaikum.

Brother Gulliver.

Please reflect on this saying of the holy Prophet, Muhammad Rasulullah. He said, I came and met an uncompleted house. I completed it by just putting a corner brick and made it habitable".  As a Christian provided you read and understand the OT and NT as I read it, you have the knowledge of about 60-70% of what is in the Qur'an.  Reading the OT increases my faith. The name Ahmad or Muhammad was mentioned in the OT and NT in the language of the OT and NT. Among the Messengers mentioned in the Qur 'an, only the Arab Messengers were not mentioned in the OT. What was revealed to him for 19 years out of the 23 years of the period of Revelation to Muhamamad Rasulullah, has relation to what is in the OT and NT. The door to understand Muhammad is opened and all what you need to do is to face the east and prayer. You are already a Muslim and obeying Muhammad whether you like it or not. For Muhammad did not principally abrogated the precepts in the OT, but applied it. Send me your email to send you how Muhammad related with the Children of Israel in Madina . Understand they did not fight him. We have nothing to do with their behaviour to him for in the long run He forgive them. They were so to speak our standards. You see, during our physiology practical lessons we used to inject rabbits with curarine to see its effect on animals. This is against the Shari'a of Muhammad. But Allah will forgive me, becaus I did it for the benefit of mankind. We need you to establish the Khalifate and reduce hunger, poverty and discrimination in the world. Muhammad is to us what Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, David, Saul were to the Jews. 

Friendship

Date Posted: 10 October 2008 at 2:41pm
"Sis, what do you mean maybe it's a sign? Im not sure if I can say this here, but the current guy in my life seems just a little bit too loose, and his values are shallow and superficial."

I was teasing that I got the article about Istikhara at the same time you were asking,  that it was a sign. But from what I can read between the lines that you've written above it seems there are some issues about his character that are not pleasing to you. Perhaps the Istikhara is working.

"By the way sister Shasta, did you return that diamond set.Smile"

I just tried it on and admired it. Wore it to my best friend's to give her a heart attack. I never officially took possession.

"One little thing that came to mind.  I am not a Muslim. I offered a Muslim prayer to God at it seemed it was accepted ? Is there not something that says that Muslim prayer offered by non Muslims is not acceptable to God ?"

A Muslim is someone who submits to the Will of God. That is the literal definition. Only God can know the condition of your heart and your intentions when you prayed.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 11 October 2008 at 12:51pm
Sorry guys, thank you all for the replies, I am really busy, would love to respond but short on time, just wanted to say thanks for your response, your sister Ruhi Islam

-------------

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 12 October 2008 at 3:34am

There is no 'physical' sign of Istikhara, some ppl say you should see a dream or so-and-so object. They give a whole list of colours and objects and thier interpretations. . . . thats really not the point, and doesnt happen.

After Istikhara, One gets a strong feeling about either decision. And just trust that feeling - and leave things in Allah's hands. If you are unsure, pray to Allah that He take the matter into His Own hands - that will be a huge burden off you. And let it be, and let things unfold. Inshalah He will sort things out. Like shasta's aunt mentioned, matters will unfold themselves. . . just take them in stride. Its such a huge relief to know that Allah is taking care of things. . .  Smile Just continue the Istikhara until you reach your goal. And after things work out, dont forget to pray 2 rakat 'shukrana' . . .

Shasta's Aunt's incident explains Istikhara vividly . . .       

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 12 October 2008 at 1:39pm
JazakumAllahu khairan guys, wonderful responses mashala.

I LOVE the community here on IC, and I cant wait to begin posting inshala one month's time.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2008 at 1:39am
Assalamu alaikum.
 Guilliver.
It is not correct you call yourself not a Muslim technically, because Allah (God) did not create you but to worship Him and Him alone. He gave you freedom to worship who and whatever you like. But you know that, that thing you are worshipping did not create himself, and was not in existence at one particular moment.
Prayer technically is the MAHAL (bone marrow) of Iman (Faith) belief in Allah, His Books, Messengers (including Jesus) etc. So as a believer  of Jesus, Allah will accept your prayer expecially if it is for the good of mankind.
Istihara meaning seeking what is best is given a distorted meaning by the Muslims. One has has already believed in Muhammad so what best is one seeking for again? What ever one is seeking for has been told by Muhammad and he showed him the way to achieve it.  So what else does one need? Is there a better way other than that? May be later one would be able to fly from Indonesia to Makka in a second! So, if the time comes, it is best to them than what it is to us today! We must be patient and work hard for Allah has subjected all whatever is in the heavens and earth for us. There is no evidence that Muhammad  ever performeed Istihara, neither his Sahabas. Allah says, "Then when you take a decision, put your trust in Allah, certanly Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)". It was never the case that Muhammad said something without putting it into practice.
Frindship. 

Date Posted: 13 October 2008 at 1:50am
Hi Ruhi. Its nice to know you are liking your time here on IC. Hopefully we will get to see you as one of the regular posters.

See you around on the forums. . .  :)

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 13 October 2008 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Friendship Friendship wrote:

Assalamu alaikum.
 There is no evidence that Muhammad  ever performeed Istihara, neither his Sahabas. Allah says, "Then when you take a decision, put your trust in Allah, certanly Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)". It was never the case that Muhammad said something without putting it into practice.
Frindship. 

What??? I'm appalled. Doubly, because noone else said anything.

I *think* you mentioned yourself that one should 'read, read, read' and find things out etc.

Here is the Islamic position on Istikhara:

In Sahih Bukhari , (volume 2, hadith number 263 and again volume 9, hadith 487): Jabir bin Abdullah narrated:

The Prophet (sallallahu alehi wasallam) would teach us al-istikhara for all of our affairs as he would teach us a surah from the Qur�an. He said: �If one of you is deliberating over an act, he should pray two non-obligatory rak�at and say: �O Allah, I consult You as You are All-Knowing and I appeal to You to give me power as You are Omnipotent, I ask You for Your great favor, for You have power and I do not, and You know all of the hidden matters . O Allah ! If you know that this matter (then he should mention it) is good for me in my religion, my livelihood, and for my life in the Hereafter, (or he said: �for my present and future life,�) then make it (easy) for me. And if you know that this matter is not good for me in my religion, my livelihood and my life in the Hereafter, (or he said: �for my present and future life,�) then keep it away from me and take me away from it and choose what is good for me wherever it is and please me with it.�

Similar hadiths were reported by Jabir (r) in Sahih Bukhari (volume 8, hadith number 391). 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2008 at 11:57am
Assalamu alaikum.

Yes the Hadith is there, but I am after its practical application, i.e. the Fiqh of the hadith. Imagine you saying to Allah, �O Allah, I consult You as You are All-Knowing and I appeal to You to give me power as You are Omnipotent, I ask You for Your great favor, for You have power and I do not, and You know all of the hidden matters . O Allah ! If you know that this matter (then he should mention it) is good for me in my religion, my livelihood, and for my life in the Hereafter, (or he said: �for my present and future life,�) then make it (easy) for me. And if you know that this matter is not good for me in my religion, my livelihood and my life in the Hereafter, (or he said: �for my present and future life,�) then keep it away from me and take me away from it and choose what is good for me wherever it is and please me with it.�, I do not find sense in that and it carries an element of disrespect. Any way, I am not disputing on the hadith.
Secondly, as I said earlier, whatever the holy Prophet commanded us, he showed us pratically how to do it and its accompanied Asbab. For example like ths salt of fear, drought, and eclipse. There were alot of incidents that could made the holy Prophet performed it as well as Abubakar, Umar Uthman and Ali etc, but no evidence that they ever performed it. I checked my Bukhari by Asqalani and commentary by Al-bani, I did not find the hadith to see their commentary.  Imam Ghazali mentiond it in his Ihya under Nawafil Arida. I understand Istihar to mean scientific experiments, inventions etc their goodness is certainly allowed by Allah and badness disallowed by Him.
Friendship. 

Date Posted: 13 October 2008 at 12:17pm
Isn't is just a prayer of discernment Friendship ? We don't always, if ever indeed, know the will of God in a given situation. So it's right to ask for discernment - guidance in choosing the better way. That's what I would see in it. You can be presented with a situation that seems very appealing, attractive in every way - but is really not 'good' for you in the longer term. In situations where the heart rules the head too. Discernment is important in any choice - situation.

Date Posted: 13 October 2008 at 1:28pm
Assalamu alaikum.
Gulliver.

Prayer carrries the meaning of discernment, if we stick to its meaning according to the Sunna in that it must be performed according to the manner performed by the holy Prophet.  I will never do what the holy Prophet did not do practically. So the question that must be answered is when the holy Prophet performed it, or any of his Sabahas he told us to follow.
I was faced with difficult situations in my life as a physician and never prayed to Allah to show me how to treat the patient or whether the procedure I am taking will kill the patient. If I am faced with a problem I refer to my text books or consult a colleague or refer to a specialist. Likewise, if I am faced with an issue I refer to the time of Muhammad, or Abubakar, Umar, Uthman or Ali or Umar bin Abdul'azeez. Clearly Muhammad Rasulullah did not tell Muadth, or Ali, or any of his Sahabas to perform an Istakhara when faced with a problem but to look into the Book of Allah, or his Sunna or else for one make deductions. Lastly, I did not make any Istikhara but I knew that my father would likely have a heart attack when he travels to our home town. So I advised him not to go, but he went. On saturday, I received a phone call that he had a heart attack! After 4 weeks period of treatment, I knew that he will never recover and he died 9 months later.
Let us differentiate between incompetence, cowardice, complacencies and indetermination. Let us remember the excuse the hypocrites gave on their failure to attend the battle of Uhud. They said in Qur'an chapter 3:167, "Had we known that fighting will take place, we would certainly have followed you". 
Friendship. 

Date Posted: 14 October 2008 at 4:38pm
"I do not find sense in that and it carries an element of disrespect."

I am amazed that you find disrespect in asking Allah to show us guidance and to make us happy with what we receive.  Isn't all salat and dua virtually doing the same?  Do you find them senseless and disrespectful also?

From what I can read above about your father's heart attack, I think you misunderstand Istikhara and it's purpose. The Istikhara prayer doesn't tell you the future, it is asking guidance from Allah when you have a diffcult decision to make and are unsure which way to turn. 

So, are you saying as a Muslim you have never prayed to Allah about your chosen career, your life in general, any decision you make regarding patients, ...

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 1:52am
Assalamu alaikum Shastas Aunt.

Isn't all salat and dua virtually doing the same?  Do you find them senseless and disrespectful also?

Answer: No!. Salat is an Ibadat commanded by Allah and taught to us by Prophet Muhammad. Salat purifies your soul and distants you from evils and indecencies. I told you the meaning of Dua: Salat and not asking something from Allah. The Mahal of Dua is Iman. 

The Istikhara prayer doesn't tell you the future, it is asking guidance from Allah when you have a diffcult decision to make and are unsure which way to turn. 

Answer; Then in that case you must have a new Prophet. Remember your request in chapter 2:286, "Our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Pardon us and grant us Forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Maula and give us victory over the disbelievers". Where is the place of Istikhara?  To understand what I mean, please read about Tawakkal alal Lahi in Madaarijal Saalikiin by Al-Jawzi.

So, are you saying as a Muslim you have never prayed to Allah about your chosen career, your life in general, any decision you make regarding patients, ...

Answer: An Islamic scholar Muhammad Baghdadi said, anyone asking Allah for something is indirectly asking for a new Prophet and showing ingratitude to Him. He said when Prophet Ibrahim asked for a son, he was given and then commanded to slaughter him. This was indeed difficult. Yes, I always ask Allah for firdaus, but this can only be achieved by reading the Sunna and sticking to  it. Allah said in chapter 7:125, "And whomsoever Allah wills to guide, He opend his breast to Islam". To be empirical, I do not ask Allah for anything because I am on trial. You do not expect me to drive my car with a flat tyre or to be a polygamist!
Friendship. 

Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 2:01am

Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 3:31am
LOL  I was just thinking the same thing Chrys. Talk about turning it into 'rocket science.' God Almighty. Such a pallaver.

Friendship, I'd forget the 'scholars' if I were you. That shower should be sent on the next bus to the wizard in Oz and given hearts stead of 'logic'.

Sorry, I don't mean to be offensive or disrespectful, but you really know how to make things more complicated than they need be. I'd need a dozen 'scholars,' and a library of my own, to have any idea what it is you are really intending to say above.

God bless

Posted By: imp87
Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 4:38am
friendship was that copy and paste or was it your "scholary" opinion.

Are you trying to say istikhara is wrong?

-------------
We are as pieces of chess engaged in victory and defeat, our victory and defeat is from thee.

Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 4:50am
Assalmu alaikum.

The paste was a question assked by Shasta's Aunt. The reply was my Ijtihad based on what I read. Opinion is allowed in sciences of the Qur'an -like chemistry, astronomy, medicine etc. For example Allah said, "He watered the trees from one source of warter, yet they differred in their taste". Let us know the reason. Every scientist will come with his own idea. I am saying when did Muhammad ever did an Istikhara and nobody is giving me the answer! I am seeking for knowldge and not speculation.
Frindship

Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 5:14am

Assalamu alaikum.

Brother Gulliver.

Friendship, I'd forget the 'scholars' if I were you. That shower should be sent on the next bus to the wizard in Oz and given hearts stead of 'logic'.

Answer. I was initially reluctant to get involved in this topic, but I decided later on to join because it is a crime to conceal the truth in Islam. I was afraid Allah may punish me for not contributing to tell the truth and to sek for more knowledge. Thanks very much for your advise.
Friendship.

Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 7:55am
Ah now Friendship. Don't take it like that. I am only kidding. It's the Irish way. I appreciate your contributions. We all come from different lives, faiths, cultures etc. It's going to take a little time to get to know and understand each other. Don't give up. You're a lovely soul and that is very apparent, even through this. The last thing I'd wish to do, even on this is offend anyone - even unintentionally. I am sorry if that seemed a tad insensitive. It was not meant that way. Just how it can seem through the internet.

God bless you !!!  :-)

Now.......

An Islamic scholar Muhammad Baghdadi said, anyone asking Allah for something is indirectly asking for a new Prophet and showing ingratitude to Him. He said when Prophet Ibrahim asked for a son, he was given and then commanded to slaughter him.
"
Is this scholar suggesting that Abraham was ungrateful for asking for a son and that God rewarded his ingratitude by asking Abraham to slaughter that son ? That's what it sounds like Friendship.  Can you clarify ? Thanks. 

:-)

Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 12:12pm
Assalamu alaikum.

Brother Gulliver.

. I am only kidding. It's the Irish way. I appreciate your contributions. We all come from different lives, faiths, cultures etc. It's going to take a little time to get to know and understand each other. Don't give up

Answer:
No! not at all. I know the Irish people very well. We had two professors of Orthopaedic surgery from Ireland, very nice people like joking always. I know the style of Muslims argument and not every topic I would like to comment on or engage in discusions. This is one of them.

Is this scholar suggesting that Abraham was ungrateful for asking for a son and that God rewarded his ingratitude by asking Abraham to slaughter that son ? That's what it sounds like Friendship.  Can you clarify ? Thanks. 

Answer.
 I checked the Bible carefully, but I cannot find an example or a lead that sincere believing Muslims before Muhammad ever asked Allah when faced with an issue. The case of some of our brothers the Children of Israel complained to Allah that they would prefer to go back to Egypt. They were given Quails, Manna and clouds to protect them from the heat of the Paren desert. In the Book of Esther it is said, "When you face really hard choices, angels don't hum in the background while God (Allah) gives you directions in a crystal-clear voice. You act in the physical world and God acts in the spiritual world". Therefore from the Bible I understood that if I am faced with an issue, I am given the means to solve my problem by Allah. I may need someone's assistance, but this is part of our life. I do not think that the Qur'an taught something diffrent. Moreover the Qur'an did not teach hopelessness, indecision or indetermination. The very moment one stands to pray he says to Allah, "You (alone) we (I) worship, and You (Alone) we (I) ask for help (for each and everything). Guide us (me) to the Straight Way. The Way of those of whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who want astray" I forward this request to Allah at last 22 times a day. I do not like to be penny wise and pound foolish. I prefer to reserve my energy for the rainy days if Allah does not give me what I asked Him!. Do you know anything in the OT and NT that contradicts the Qur'an?  
The case of Abraham was just a lesson for mankind to be grateful to whatever Allah gives him and that there is trial and temptation in what ever Allah gives one. I cannot imagine the feeling of Muhammad Rasulullah whose two male children died in infancy!.  
 Friendship.

Date Posted: 15 October 2008 at 11:13pm
"An Islamic scholar Muhammad Baghdadi said, anyone asking Allah for something is indirectly asking for a new Prophet and showing ingratitude to Him."

Here is what The Quran says about prayer:

Al-Baqara (The Cow)

2:45 Nay, seek (Allah's) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit,-

2:153 O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer; for Allah is with those who patiently persevere.

2:186 When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way.

Ghafir (The Forgiver)

40:60 And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your (prayer): but those who are too arrogant to serve Me will surely find themselves in Hell - in humiliation!"

Al-Mujadilah (The Disputation)

58:1 Allah has indeed heard (and accepted) the statement of the woman who pleads with thee concerning her husband and carries her complaint (in prayer) to Allah. and Allah (always) hears the arguments between both sides among you: for Allah hears and sees (all things).

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 16 October 2008 at 3:55am
Assalamu alaikum.

The verses you quoted do not carry the meaning of Istikhara please. I do not know how to explain the meaning to you since no one has told me how Muhammad Rasululah performed the Istikhara. I know how Muhammad Rasulullah persevered and prayed for 22 years 2 monthns 22 days. I do not know the Islamic books you have to refer you to read. Read an Ayat without fully examining its various shades of meaning can mislead one.  
Let me refer you to the incident between Ali ibn Abi Talib and those called the Khawarij. They told Ali that, "The decision is with Allah".  Ali agreed and said, "A true statement but with hidden and mishieveous meaning". Ali sent Abdullah ibn Abbas to them with the instruction, "The Qur'an has many faces (so many interpretations) but talk (argue) with them on the Sunna of the holy Prophet".  Anyway read the meaning of Baqara:186 in the Tafsir of Tabataba'i. There is difference between asking (sa'ala) and prayer. Please where is your loation? Please forgive me. I do not intend to be rude, if not that it is important we understand what Islam is.
Friendship.

Posted By: imp87
Date Posted: 16 October 2008 at 12:08pm

Here are a few links.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?ID=1056 - http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?ID=1056

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1873&CATE=99 - http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1873&CATE=99

If you read any of these three links youll see it is permissible and the second says it is sunnah, with all respect I dont know how your scholarly opinion can correct the likes of ibn Arabi and Imam Nawawi may Allah bless them both. Theres a extract from the third link below.

---

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?ID=1056 - http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?ID=1056

The istikhara prayer may be made for a specific matter or be made for a general seeking of all that is best. Some scholars, including Imam Abd al-Wahhab al-Sha`rani and Ibn `Arafah before him saw this kind of istikhara prayer as being superior. Others, including Shaykh Ibn al-Arabi, recommended performing a general istikhara prayer for all that is good every day, ideally at the time of the Duha prayer (after sunrise).

Imam al-Nawawi mentioned that before the istikhara prayer, one should seek advice (istishara) from those whose knowledge, wisdom, and concern one is confident. Ibn Hajar al-Haytami and others mentioned that one of the benefits of this is to further distance oneself from the desires of one's own egotistic inclinations.

---

Insallah that helps.

-------------
We are as pieces of chess engaged in victory and defeat, our victory and defeat is from thee.

Date Posted: 16 October 2008 at 2:36pm

Assalamu alaikum.

The verses you quoted do not carry the meaning of Istikhara please. I do not know how to explain the meaning to you since no one has told me how Muhammad Rasululah performed the Istikhara. I know how Muhammad Rasulullah persevered and prayed for 22 years 2 monthns 22 days. I do not know the Islamic books you have to refer you to read. Read an Ayat without fully examining its various shades of meaning can mislead one.  
Let me refer you to the incident between Ali ibn Abi Talib and those called the Khawarij. They told Ali that, "The decision is with Allah".  Ali agreed and said, "A true statement but with hidden and mishieveous meaning". Ali sent Abdullah ibn Abbas to them with the instruction, "The Qur'an has many faces (so many interpretations) but talk (argue) with them on the Sunna of the holy Prophet".  Anyway read the meaning of Baqara:186 in the Tafsir of Tabataba'i. There is difference between asking (sa'ala) and prayer. Please where is your loation? Please forgive me. I do not intend to be rude, if not that it is important we understand what Islam is.
Friendship.

Walaikum Assalaam:

The Istikhara prayer has been authenticated in the Hadith and the Fiqh Us-Sunnah. I do not know which scholar you are following but since these Hadith are considered authentic then unless he was there to witness otherwise we can assume they record the Sunnah of the Prophet.

I posted the Ayats from the Quran in response to this:

"An Islamic scholar Muhammad Baghdadi said, anyone asking Allah for something is indirectly asking for a new Prophet and showing ingratitude to Him."

Clearly Allah says if you pray, even if asking for something, I will hear you.  If we were not meant to offer prayer other than the salat of worship then I'm sure instead of telling us to pray for help Allah would have told us not to.  The Quran is a guidance and help for man, not sent to cause confusion. Usually what is written is exactly what is meant.

40:60 And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your (prayer):

If you have Islamic daleel: proof from The Quran or Hadith, for this other than a vague statement by this scholar then you should post it because what you are saying is quite a serious charge.

If you choose not to pray to Allah for guidance, help, or for comfort and solace, that is completely up to you. But to give the impression to others that such prayers are tantamount to shirk is wrong.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 16 October 2008 at 3:02pm
Who is Muhammad Baghdadi ? I am trying to find him through google.

Date Posted: 17 October 2008 at 1:58am

Assalamu alaikum.

Shasta's Aunt.
First of all there are guidelines for understanding Islam:
a) The Sunnan of the holy Prophet (his actions) are incontestable. Do what you can do. If he does not do something do not do it.
b) Ishaara Ahaadith are special. If the Istikhara hadith is one of them, then it means that one should be cautious in doing acts not performed by the holy Prophet. Therefore the moment one sees Bid'at (innovation, something new) he should run away from it. I do not think Allah will allow a sincere believer to go astray. In that case Allah will inspire him on what is right. Rememeber the holy Prophet mention 'qalqal', disquiet in the mind of a believer when he see things done that are not according to the Sunna. Such believers will refer to their books and find the right thing to do.  I must be then the Sunna of the holy Prophet.
c) If the jabir quoted by Muhaddithun was the Jabir who died 78 A.H at the age of 94 years, for all the isssues that arose during that period no Sahaba ever did an Istikhara. There are many. Check your books.
d) The verse you quoted 40:60 is inviting people to believe in Muhammad  Rasulullah giving Duaa the maning of Iman and Ibaadat (worship) according to the Sunna.
Please kindly forgive me. It is indeed Bid'at to perform an act not done by the holy Prophet. A Mushrik can be forgiven by Allah, but not an inventor (mubtadian).
Let me ask you the following questions:
!. what do you recite if you going into the toilet and coming out?
2. What do you recite if you going out of your house and coming back?
3. What do you recite when you age going to bed and when you wake up?
4. What do you recite when you ar going to eat?
5. What do you recite when you ar frightened?
6. When you perform ablution your sins are forgiven. What do you want Allah to do for you again?
PLEASE ASK YOUR IMAM. IS IT ALLOWED TO SAY ALLAHUMMA ALONE WITHOUT ADDING RABBANA? IF YOUR IMAM SAYS YES, YOU WILL AGREE. BUT SUPPOSING YOU READ THAT IT IS NOT ALLOWED WHAT WILL YOU DO?
I AM NOT A MUQALLADIN.

I will not discuss this topic again. I am tied.
Friendship.

Date Posted: 17 October 2008 at 2:29am
Assalamu alaim.

He was an Iraqi Scholar of the first or scond century. I read his book along time ago. I do not have the book now.
Friendship.

Date Posted: 17 October 2008 at 3:26am
It appears, only appears mind you that there is so much to navigate through in all of this. Where is the freedom to have direct relationship with the Creator. It's one thing to seek to emulate another - Muhammad, Christ or whomever. It's another it seems to me to become almost obsessive compulsive in that 'emulation'.

I watched a little video on 'wudu' last night. Trying to see how to 'ritually purify' the body before prayer, learn about it with intention of understanding and even trying it. It looked like obsessive compulsive behaviour - or the beginnings of it. Why must it all be made so confusing and complicated.  Not only in Islam - Christianity has its variations too.

Date Posted: 17 October 2008 at 3:34am
Thanks for the reference Friendship.  I'll have a search online and see if I can find out who this man was/is.

Sounds like the 'Imam' has a lot of power - like the 'priest' in other contexts. Hope it doesn't go to his head :-) As the man from Del Monte said, "power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."  When we invest spiritual power in any man - we need to be very careful. One reason I try to go to God Alone these days. I wouldn't trust any of 'em as far as I could throw them. Worse than politicians.

God bless

Sorry for the distraction.

Date Posted: 17 October 2008 at 3:57pm

In Islam an Imam is the person who leads the prayer. It is usually someone who has memorised The Quran, who may or may not have studied Islam. Anyone can be the Imam. They hold no special power or authority. If the Imam is a scholar then you may ask him questions regarding Islamic matters, BUT you still need to study and verify because he is just a man and men are fallible.

In Islam there is only the direct connection between Allah and man. There are no intercessors or mediaries and you are responsible for your own actions.

Islam is extremely simple, so simple a child can follow it. PLEASE do not let this type of goobledy-gook confuse you or lead you astray as to the tenants of Islam.

My personal opinion is to basically ignore anything that Friendship has written in this thread. I do not know where he is getting his ideas or what his purpose is.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 18 October 2008 at 4:32am
Amen to whatever Shasta's Aunt said . . . I agree with her too.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 October 2008 at 4:40am
Oh oh,
the sisters are up in arms.  Armageddon cometh.  LOL  ;-)

Date Posted: 01 November 2008 at 8:08am
Assalamu alaikum.

I hope you will not mind coming back to you now. 
I do not know in which part of the UK you are residing. I used to buy Islamic Books from the bookshops in London. Try to look for for Sunanu Uluhiyya by Dr. Abdulkarem Zaidani to read about the meaning of Sunna. I bought it in 1994 from I think in the bookshop around Parsons train station enroute to Wembley.
Technically Sunni path would mean only the actions performed by the holy Prophet either practically, by Ishara or verbal approval including keeping silence on an issues. I do not know when the holy Prophet ever performed it in his life time.  Please understand that there is a difference between a hadith and its Fiqh (its application in the Shari'a). The website Sunni path did not state the time and occasion the holy prophet performed it. They were only quoting Fuqaha ibn Arabi etc. They are not authority on  the Sunna, because the Sunna refers only to the actions of the holy Prophet. The statement of Shaykh Rabbani that: The istikhara is a primarily an individual sunna in which one seeks guidance and good from Allah in a particular matter: clearly makes Istikhara not a Sunna of the holy Prophet. The Sunna of the holy Prophet like the Sunna of Allah is Qaanuun Aama (for all of us according to the prevailing situation). If one takes the risk of performing an Ibadat he may be saf, but the one who copied him is certainly involving himself in act of SHIRK. The most recently published Fiqh book by Dr. Wahba Zahiili completely omitted Salat Istihara. No!, I am not saying that Jabir did not narrate the hadith. Nobody at that time asked him whether the holy Prophet did it or not. Moreover there are 3 Jabirs mentioned and no one knows who is referred among them. Jabir bin Abdullah died in 78 A.H, at the age of 94 years. He could hardly be the one who narrated the hadith. No one knew when the other Jabirs died.  But since Allah said in many verses of the holy Qur'an a believer has no choice over what the holy Propeht performed, he should not have equally any choice on what he did not perform.
Friendship.

Posted By: abosait
Date Posted: 06 November 2008 at 8:46pm

......... An Islamic scholar Muhammad Baghdadi said, anyone asking Allah for something is indirectly asking for a new Prophet and showing ingratitude to Him........................

You are not supposed to follow anyone who calls himself an "islamic scholar" unless he tells you WhAT aLLAH says AND WHAT THE pROPHET SALLALLAHU ALAIHI WASALM  has taught us. If he propagates his own philosophy it must surelybe from the shaitan.

Date Posted: 06 November 2008 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Gulliver Gulliver wrote:

........... You can be presented with a situation that seems very appealing, attractive in every way - but is really not 'good' for you in the longer term. In situations where the heart rules the head too. .........

Salaat al-Istikharah is a prayer in which

a) a servant if concerned with an affair or is faced with a worldly problem or intends to do something recommended or obligatory in which he has a choice,

or

b)when two recommended or obligatory actions conflict each other  "which one should he do? Which one should he put forward"?

Date Posted: 07 November 2008 at 12:18am
Assalamu alaikum.

Brother abusait.

when two recommended or obligatory actions conflict each other  "which one should he do? Which one should he put forward"?

If by obligatory or recommended acts you mean 'Fard' they never conflict one another. Just follow the Sunna of the holy Prophet. I do not know what examples you have in your mind. For example in Hajj, you choose the one you want to do either Tumatta'i, Ifradi, or Qarn. If water is available you cannot perform Tayammum, but if the water is available and if you perform ablution you will die through thirst, then you do not peform ablution. You can marry 4 wives, only if you can deal justly. You are not supposed to go to Makka and leave your neighbours impoverished. Every thing is governed by the Sunna. Unfortuantely we do not have a Central Authority (Khalifate) to enforce it.  Everyone wants to be big and knowleageble preferring following Madhhabas.
Frienship.

Date Posted: 07 November 2008 at 12:26am
Assalamu alaikum.

Abosait.

Therefore I am on the Right Path. I asked the forum members to tell me when the holy Prophet performed the Istihara salat. I am yet to get an answer! It is better we confess and tell the truth. It is against the Principles of Islam to hide or conceal knowledge. Anyone who conceals knowledge (the Sunna) will enter hell fire.
Friendship.

Date Posted: 07 November 2008 at 2:38am

........If by obligatory or recommended acts you mean 'Fard' they never conflict one another..........

When the word 'fardh' or 'obligatory' is mentioned why do people jump to the conclusion that we are discussing IBADAH?

Earning halal income, taking care of your parents, wife and childen etc. are also obligatory in Islam.

Istikhara does not apply to fardh IBADAH where there is no choice..

Some examples of times when a person might want to pray Istikhara:

1. If a girl has proposals of marriages from two young men and both are equally good, and she can not decide which one to marry, asks Allah in Istikhara

2. A person has a job offer from another city and he has to move away from his parents and not sure if he should move for this employment or not asks Allah in Istikhara

3. A student has been accepted by two universities and is not sure which university to join asks Allah in Istikhara

Date Posted: 07 November 2008 at 2:53am

Assalamu alaikum.

Brother abusait.

........... Every thing is governed by the Sunna. Unfortuantely we do not have a Central Authority (Khalifate) to enforce it.............

Wa Alaikum assalam w.r.w.b,

You want to enforce it whereas Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'alaa says:

Date Posted: 07 November 2008 at 3:05am

Assalamu alaikum.

Abosait.
........... I asked the forum members to tell me when the holy Prophet performed the Istihara salat.

Wa alaikum assalam w.r.w.b.

Only Allah swt. can answer that question.

The forum members can answer only if you ask them whether they have come across any report that the prophet performed Istikhara. 

Date Posted: 09 November 2008 at 1:19am
Abosait: No use, friendship is apparently convinced that DESPITE authentic ahadith sources, Salaat Istikhara is somthing we made up!!! Members even posted the ahadith !

And yea, Friendship, thats just silly - some ahadith do mention 'occasions' etc, but all ahadith tell us about Sunnah do not come with a time and date stamp of when Prophet Muhammad did something. Ahadith tell us that he did - so he did. Prophet Muhammad never taught anything to his companions without demonstrating/practising himself. He did not just preach theory, he practised what he preached.

If you believe in the authenticity of Ahadith reports, then it shouldnt be difficult to swallow that Istikhara is Sunnah - however if you dont - thats another matter entirely, and not worth discussing anymore.

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2008 at 8:12am
[QUOTE=Ruhi Islam]Salam alaikum ww sisters and brothers

I want to know how exactly one is responded to when they pray istikhara. Is it dreams, signs, feelings or obstacles? ...................../QUOTE]

Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullah.

The one making al-Istikharah must also seek the council of People (Istiharah)

The one making al-Istikharah should also seek help from those whom he knows to be righteous and who can give the appropriate advice and it makes no difference whether this is before al-Istikharah or after it. For there is no contradiction whatsoever between al-Istikharah and Istiharah (seeking the advice of the people) because al-Istikharah is from Allah and Istiharah is from the people.

Istikharah is an action based on one's Eeman whereas Istiharah is an action whereby one seeks means. So there is no contradiction between two.

Reliance is an action of the heart, whereas, seeking means is an action of the limbs, which Allah created in order to achieve goals, and this combining actions of the heart and the actions of the limbs  is what is legislated in the Religion of Islam.

As for abandoning the means naming it to be "Tawakkul in Allah" then this is something, which Islam rejects and it is not reliance upon Allah.

As for depending on means besides Allah is Shirk without these means. Allah says in the Qur'aan:

And consult them in the affair. Then once you have taken the decision, put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him) [Soorah al-Imran (3): 159]

So Allah the Most High in this verse, combines both seeking the means, which is taking consultation, and the obligation to have reliance on Allah, which is an action of eeman and from the complete characteristics of a believer.

Is Istikharah related to Dreams?

The idea behind performing al-Istikharah is that the matter is determined by Allah making the affair easy and Him granting it. So, having a dream or not makes no difference, rather if assumed that one has a dream how does he know that the dream is from the Most Merciful or from shaytaan or from talking souls:

Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

Dreams are of three types;

• glad tidings from Allah,
    •  
    • whispering of the soul or
    •  
    • frightening thoughts from Shaytaan.

[Saheeh al-Bukharee (eng. trans.) vol.8, no.595 and Saheeh Muslim (eng. trans) vol.4, no.6404]

Unfortunately, contrary to the instructions of the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), Muslims today depend entirely on the prayer to make their decisions. That is they make the prayer and supplication prior to making any decision, and rely on dreams to provide the answers for them. The prayer is often repeated before sleeping for a set number of days and dream books are consulted to interpret symbols in their dreams. All this has no basis in the methodology taught by the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam). However, this is not to say that a good dream may not be acted upon as a confirmation of a decision, about which istikharah was made

Date Posted: 10 November 2008 at 4:40am
Assalamu alaikum.

The one who believed in learning about Islam must have the appropriate books to rely on. I do not know your indepth knowledge in Islamic Jurisprudence. Cross check your facts from the books written in Arabic on Usul hadith, Ulum al hadith and Mustalahal hadith to convince yourself that you are wrong. There is a book in English language titled 'Hadith methodolgy and literature written by Professor Mustapha M. Azami. Try to read it if you cannot get the Arabic books. Also read the writings of Abul Ala Maududi and Ali Al Nadwi. If we do not have a common platform you cannot understand me and I cannot understand you. KNOW THAT THERE IS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HADITH AND sUNNA. I am after the Sunna and not necessarily the hadith. I am not arguing, but just trying to tell you what I read as authentic. The forum is meant for tutorials and not for insult. Know that anyone who insults the one trying to tell the truth is insulting Muhammad Rasulullah!
Friendship.

Date Posted: 14 November 2008 at 10:22pm

Assalamu alaikum.

.......... KNOW THAT THERE IS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HADITH AND sUNNA. I am after the Sunna and not necessarily the hadith..............................

Wa alaikum assalam wa Rahmatullah.

No doubt THERE IS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HADITH AND sUNNA. But where do you look for the Sunnah?

Hadith literature is the largest and most important source which records the biography, history and the exemplary life of the Prophet Muhammad (sws) as well as his invaluable explanations of various issues of religion.

So if you are after the Sunnah you will have to come to the authentic books of Hadith.

A Hadith must be understood with reference to the instance and occasion of the topic it records.

What was the occasion on which it was said?

What was the background in which it was said?

Who were the addressees?

If one does not address these questions in interpreting a Hadith, on many occasions one fails to get to the right interpretation.

Date Posted: 16 November 2008 at 3:30am
Assalamu alaikum.

Brother.

Your remarks made feel as if I am in Firdaus. Yes, at least there are Muslims who if given power on the land can establish the Sunna!
I hope your neighbours - the two sisters will agree will you!. Yes, your townsman Professor Mustapha Al Azami of Madina University gave a summary of what you said. If on the other hand you have Arabic books on hadith, you do not need the book of Professor Mustapha Azami.
Therefore my argument "when did Prophet Muhammad or any of the Sahabas ever performed Istikhara is a va
lid question". If one feels to do it it is his own Ijtihad. He will have a reward. But if I refused to do it according to my own Ijtihad, I will have two rewards.
Friendship.

Date Posted: 16 November 2008 at 4:24am
Whats your problem "friendship" When we have saying of our prophet, why do you deny to accept it. There's  an ayah of holy Qur'an which supports this hadith. ---- "  and consult them in the affairs. Then when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)" Likewise while isteqarah we consult Allah swt for our affairs. Certainly, our sahabas must have done this. InshaAllah, shall present you very soon.

Till then show me a single stance wherein you find Prophet SAWS OR ANY OF OUR SAHABAS DENYING CONSULTANCE WITH ALLAH SWT.

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 16 November 2008 at 10:23am
Assalamu alaikum.

My problem is that I do not want to invent anything, or understand Islam outside its base.
I do not know how to express myself. You seemed earlier to understood that there is a difference between Hadith and Sunna. This was also the understanding of Hadith scholars beginning from an Indian scholar Imam Naisaburi (d. 405 AH).  I gave you the references, but now you are turning as if there is no difference between hadith and Sunna. Why not you read and get convinced. I am not denying the hadith but I want know the action! Did the holy Prophet actually perform it and when? A hadith is denied if it contradicts the Sunna. Professor Azami is an Indian. Don't you have his books in India?  How many books hav
e you read on Hadith literature and methodology?Agree with me not to invent anything and understand Islam according what was understood by the Sahabas.
Secondly the verse you quoted in chapter 3:159 was translated and explained not in the manner you understood. Jama'at khayr are the Ahl hal wal aqad and are not soothsayers or fortune tellers. Do you now about Munaajat? We are in constant Munaajat with our Lord through Zikr and Tadabbur. Please do not introduce philosophy into the Sunna!

Friendship.

Date Posted: 16 November 2008 at 6:27pm
Friendship,

How do you know the sunna of The Prophet?

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 16 November 2008 at 10:15pm

Well , friendship, i did not read even a single book of the author {Azam}  you mentioned. Neither do  i know Naisaburi.

For me its important that i follow both the actions and sayings of the prophet. If a hadith explains me only actions, i shall follow it, and if it has "sayings" only, even then i shall be accepting, since Allah swt says in the Qur'an, obey Allah and Obey Messenger {Wa'athiul laha wa athiur rasool}

Now speaking from your pont of view :

You did not answer my earlier question, show me atleast one incident, wherein we stopped from isteqarah.

By the way you said, - " A hadith is denied if it contradicts the Sunnah". Is it ? If i accept this sentence of yours, how is it that the hadith of isteqarah, contradicting  sunnah. None of the sunnahs, depict us that isteqarah was denied by them and thus contradicts.

By the way, i wish you to answer, sis Shasta aunt's question.  I  would like to also know, how you differentiate hadith and sunnah.

You must have heard this hadith many a times that, "The best people are my generation, then the next generation, then the next generation...." Here, is the proof you asked. He would not write down any hadith in his Saheeh until he had done ghusl, then prayed two rak�ahs and prayed istikhaarah, asking Allah to guide him with regard to writing down this hadith; then he would write it down. It took him sixteen years to write this book, which the ummah accepted and unanimously agreed that what is narrated in it is saheeh; and Allah has protected this ummah from agreeing upon misguidance.  What do you say now ?

Imaam al-Bukhari narrates in his Saheeh that Mutraf bin Abdullah Aboo  narrated to us that Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Abee al-Mawaal narrated to us from Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir from Jaabir (radhi allahu anhu)�the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) used to teach us al-Istikharah (seeking of guidance) in all of our affairs, like he would teach us a Soorah of the Qur�an saying: { Note the words, used to teach us}

If any of you is concerned about an affair, then let him pray two rakahs other then the obligatory prayers after which he should supplicate: O Allah, I seek Your counsel by Your knowledge and I seek Your assistance by Your Power and I ask You from Your immense favor, for verily you are able while I am not, and verily You know and I do not, and You are the knower of the unseen. O Allah if You know this affair is to be good for me in relation to my religion, my life and end (or he said my present and my future), then decree and facilitate it for me and bless me with it. And if You know this affair to be detrimental (harmful) for me concerning my religion, my life and end (or he said my present and my future), then remove it from me and remove me from it and decree for me what is good wherever it be and make me satisfied with it.And he mentions his need
 al-Bukharee (eng. trans. Vol.2, no.263)

-------------

Date Posted: 17 November 2008 at 3:00pm
Assalamu alaikum.

Please understand me and read! 
The Sunna of the holy Prophet is that action reported by a Sahaba (irrespective of classification and categorising) juxtaposed with a Revelation (Command) describing an Ibadat. In other words the Sunna is that practical demonstration of the teaching of a hadith by the holy Prophet. There is no hadith from the Prophet in Ibadat especially the prayer without its practical demonstration. The precise timing of that Ibadat is also known. For example we knew that only 3 daily prayers consisting of 2 raka'at were performed in Makka and no Sahaba had ever reportd the suras recited. They reported that his legs used to swell because of the length of the Suras. They described his Ruku' and Sujada sometimes thinking that he has forgotten to raise his head. Therefore the Sunna is what the Sahabsa described to us and hardly described by him.That is why Allah described them as witnesses to the truth and that we should respect them and say nothing bad about them. The one who talks bad about them talks bad about the holy Prophet.
Friendship.   

Date Posted: 17 November 2008 at 6:18pm

I am baffled by your responses Friendship. You have gone from denying that The Prophet prayed Istikhara to stating that anyone who prays to Allah for any reason is commiting shirk to stating that you follow the sunnah without the hadith without stating how you know what the sunnah is without the hadith.

Yes, the sunna of The prophet can be found in The Quran, but it is also found in the hadith. Without the hadith we would know only a part of the actions and manners of The Prophet. Without the textual sources of the hadith how could anyone determine what the sunnah is?

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 18 November 2008 at 6:04am

Assalamu alaikum.

..............from an Indian scholar Imam Naisaburi (d. 405 AH).  ............... Professor Azami is an Indian.................Jama'at khayr are the Ahl hal wal aqad ............. Munaajat? ..............Zikr and Tadabbur............ Please do not introduce philosophy into the Sunna!
Friendship.

Never heard of a person called Imam Naisaburi nor Professor Azami

By the way What is
  • Jama'at khayr ?
  • Ahl hal wal aqad
  • Munaajat
  • Zikr and Tadabbur

Kindly translate those words/phrases into English.

Date Posted: 18 November 2008 at 7:26am

Assalamu alaikum.

...................we knew that only 3 daily prayers consisting of 2 raka'at were performed in Makka................................ Friendship.   

Wa alaikum assalam wa Rahmatullah.

Who are these WE?

Please dont include me in uttering such statements because all I know from reliable Islamic sources is that we have been given 5 daily prayers. Even today the fardh salat is prayed 5 times a day  in all the mosques of Makkah.

The rka'ah are:

fajr=2

duhr=4

asr=4

magrib=3 and

ishaa'=4 with and additional 3 rak'a of witr.

When on a journey the Rule of 'qasr' is applied whereby all the three four rak'ah prayers are cut short to two raka'ah each and the witr to one raka'ah

Date Posted: 18 November 2008 at 1:52pm
Assalamu alaikum.

Brther Seekshidayath

Well , friendship, i did not read even a single book of the author {Azam}  you mentioned. Neither do  i know Naisaburi.

Response. Well you must read what the hadith scholars said about hadith literature. If you do not believe in that, then there is no need discussing any issue on hadith. Hadith literature is supposed to be discussed with only those with the knowledge. A hadith has more 65 branches of knowledge. We must have an idea of these branches before we are agree with one another. Thus why I advised you to buy the books on hadith literature.

For me its important that i follow both the actions and sayings of the prophet. If a hadith explains me only actions, i shall follow it, and if it has "sayings" only, even then i shall be accepting, since Allah swt says in the Qur'an, obey Allah and Obey Messenger {Wa'athiul laha wa athiur rasool}

Answer: Still you do not understand the difference between hadith and sunna. Please read on your own. You cannot understand Islam by not reading the appropriate books.   

Now speaking from your pont of view :

You did not answer my earlier question, show me at least one incident, wherein we stopped from isteqarah.

Answer: I do not understand what you mean. I will answer you in one of your observations.

By the way you said, - " A hadith is denied if it contradicts the Sunnah". Is it ? If i accept this sentence of yours, how is it that the hadith of isteqarah, contradicting  sunnah. None of the sunnahs, depict us that isteqarah was denied by them and thus contradicts.

Answer: Please refer to your previous statement in which you outlined what one is supposed to derive from a hadith. Now, observe that:
1. Imam Shatibi traced the explanation of Istikhara to Muhammad ibn Arabi and his teacher. They were known Sufis. They misinterpreted or mis-spelt Istiraha and Istikhara. See from your sources the commentary on holy Qur'an, chapters 29:45;20:132. Salaf Salih (The Sahabas etc) understood it according to the Ahadith of the holy Prophet. He said  "Arihna biha ya Bilal. The Bilal would call the prayer to please the holy Apostle". He also said, "Wa ju'ilat qurrat ainii fi salat". I have made salat a comfort for my eyes" Abdullah bin Salam reported that the holy Prophet would always tell his household to pray when they are inconvenienced. The Sahabas did not understand and translate Salat Istiraha (to find rest) as Istikhara (to request what is good or best) 
1. One of your Indian scholars Sha Waliullah of Dahlawi said in his Book, 'Hujjatul Lahi Baligha' vol 2 P.19:- During the period of Jahiliyya the Arabs would perform divinations whenever they were faced with a situation. The holy Prophet forbade them from doing that. Instead he gave told them to do Istikharat. He explained it as the process by which one turns to Allah when faced with a situation like illness. He develops confidence in that.  Its significance and merit lies in one totally relying on Allah by disengaging himself from beastly state relying solely on Allah. When he attained this condition he becomes like the angles waiting for Allahs command. Now what do you understand when the term Jahiliyya is mentioned? What Shari'a was available in Makka?

By the way, i wish you to answer, sis Shasta aunt's question.  I  would like to also know, how you differentiate hadith and sunnah.

Answer: Sunna is the practical demonstration using the limbs of the Command of Allah by the holy Propeht. It was always juxtaposed to a Revealed Command. For example there was no ahadith the way the prayer is to be called. The change of direction  was at the instant of the Revelation of the command. When the holy Prophet turned to face the ka'ba everybody turned. Understand that Sunna was what the Sahabas reported the holy Prophet doing. If you knew very well the lfie history of the holy Prophet, you will understand that there is no interposition of time between the Sunna and the Revelation. But there is interposition of time betwen hadith and Command that is not part of an Ibadat. For example when the command was given for the Muslims to defend themselves it took about a year before the believers fought the battle of badr.

You must have heard this hadith many a times that, "The best people are my generation, then the next generation, then the next generation...." Here, is the proof you asked. He would not write down any hadith in his Saheeh until he had done ghusl, then prayed two rak�ahs and prayed istikhaarah, asking Allah to guide him with regard to writing down this hadith; then he would write it down. It took him sixteen years to write this book, which the ummah accepted and unanimously agreed that what is narrated in it is saheeh; and Allah has protected this ummah from agreeing upon misguidance.  What do you say now ?

Answer: Understand you can only understand that hadith if you can justify and protct the Sahabas from doing anything not performed by the holy Prophet. The hadith is saying that they will never say or report on something not done by him. Therefore you must know thso 65 branches of the knowledge of hadith.  I never performed any Istikhara in my life and I do not see its justification and need. What Bukhari did was according to his own wish and not the sunna. Tell me what the holy Prophet did when Abubakar wanted him to leave Makka! Tell me the Istikhara the holy Prophet did when the Aws and Khazraj were competing between themselves in whose house he will stay. Tell me the Istikhara they did before leaving for any military expedition. Was his dream before the battle of badr an Istikhara?

Imaam al-Bukhari narrates in his Saheeh that Mutraf bin Abdullah Aboo  narrated to us that Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Abee al-Mawaal narrated to us from Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir from Jaabir (radhi allahu anhu)�the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) used to teach us al-Istikharah (seeking of guidance) in all of our affairs, like he would teach us a Soorah of the Qur�an saying: { Note the words, used to teach us}

If any of you is concerned about an affair, then let him pray two rakahs other then the obligatory prayers after which he should supplicate: O Allah, I seek Your counsel by Your knowledge and I seek Your assistance by Your Power and I ask You from Your immense favor, for verily you are able while I am not, and verily You know and I do not, and You are the knower of the unseen. O Allah if You know this affair is to be good for me in relation to my religion, my life and end (or he said my present and my future), then decree and facilitate it for me and bless me with it. And if You know this affair to be detrimental (harmful) for me concerning my religion, my life and end (or he said my present and my future), then remove it from me and remove me from it and decree for me what is good wherever it be and make me satisfied with it.And he mentions his need
 al-Bukharee (eng. trans. Vol.2, no.263)

Answer: My sharh Sahih Bukhari did not mention that hadith. This hadith was narrated from Riyadu Salih, and some other Fiqh books. But as I said earlier, the holy Prophet, the Sahabas especially the four Khalifas were faced with dare circumstances, but none of them ever performed Istikhara. They just consulted the holy Qur'an and the Sunna to solve their problem.  
You have great problem in understanding the Sunna because you do not have the basic knowledge required to understand hadith. Now listen and learn:
1. There are two Mutraf bin Abdullah mentioned by historians. One died 87 A.H, and the other 220 A.H. Which one of them do you mean and why? Do you know where they died?
2. The name of Abdurrahman bin Mawali was given by historians but no one gave the year he died. Can you estimate the date of his death?
3. Muhammad Munkadir died 131 A.H Do you know in which town
4. The historians mentioned the names of 3 Jabir ibn Abdullah. Which one of the do you mean?
This knowledge known as Asma' Rijal is very important in justifying and understanding a hadith. If you do not know the 65 branches of the knowldge of hadith, you are not supposed to talk or discuss on hadith. You must then go to the school where hadith is taught and learn. I do not regard discussing with you as a waste of my time. At least you told the truth that you have never read the books i mentioned to you.
I will tell you about these Sahabas and then about the doubt of the hadith. My policy is to say that I do not understand a hadith. It could be a fabrication.
Friendship.

Date Posted: 18 November 2008 at 2:10pm
Assalamu alaikum.

Please understand that I cannot teach you Islam! Probably I am not supposed to join this forum!

Friendship.

Date Posted: 18 November 2008 at 2:17pm
Assalaamu alaikum.

Just say that you do not know anything about the first 13 years of the holy Prophet's life in Makka. But do not argue.
Friendship.

Date Posted: 20 November 2008 at 6:57am
LOL. No offense, but I think I now know why people didnt vote for you back home. . .  :)

-------------

Date Posted: 20 November 2008 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

LOL. No offense, but I think I now know why people didnt vote for you back home. . .  :)

Jiminy Crickets!!!!!

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 20 November 2008 at 5:32pm

Assalaamu alaikum.

Just say that you do not know anything about the first 13 years of the holy Prophet's life in Makka. But do not argue.
Friendship.

The proclamation "this day have I completed the deen..... " was not made during the first 13 years of the holy Prophet's life in Makkah.

Please understand that the revelation was progressive and Rules were not imposed overnight. The final verdict on each topic should be understood and followed.

Thus we shall not bother to follow the direction the Sahaba were facing before the Prophet got the message regarding facing Ka'abah.

Nor shall we follow the method of praying or number of prayers which were in practice before the Prophet's return from the assention.

Posted By: Chinky
Date Posted: 28 June 2011 at 3:47pm
Assalamu'alaikum

I received a marriage proposal from a guy who has wanted to get married to me for a few years now. I prayed Salaatul Istikhaarah and felt that I should agree to marry him. We were almost officially engaged and wedding plans were being discussed. However, just recently a huge argument had erupted between our two fathers, and my father has decided to call it quits. the guy is determined not to give up and convince the elders to agree again, but my father is determined not to agree to this marriage proposal. i have prayed Salaatul Istikhaarah again a few times, and each time I feel that I should trust Allah and not say no to this guy simply because of his father, because the guy himself has never disrespected my dad. I cannot see any solid reason for why I should say no to the guy, as he is an honest, hardworking man, and a practicing muslim. At the same time, since my father is completely against it, I don't want to go against his wishes. My father feels the guy is not right for me since he is not as educated as I am, but we both have the same Islamic and family values, which I feel is more important. I don't know what is the response to my Istikhaara, is it my gut feeling telling me not to say no to this guy, or is it my father's determination to say no? I have had several marriage proposals in the past, but all of them have fallen through for good reason, this is the only guy who has been persistent in marrying me for years now, and he still is, even though he knows my dad is not agreeable. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I am in such a confused state, I don't know what to do.

Date Posted: 29 June 2011 at 3:39am
Assalamu alaiki Chinky.

Well, you did not mention why your father debunked.
Depending upon ones' in depth knowledge of the Shari'a, the lady who is matured, educated could propose to her parents who she wants to marry. The parents ideally should consent, if they trust their daughter's morale behaviour. The question is not of Istihara but what the Sunna allows. You can read Ihya' 'Ulumud din by Imam Ghazali Vol. 2 or Kitab tarbiyat awlad.  Parents are allowed to refuse if the husband is not qualified by the Shari'a. They are not to act contrary to it.
Wassalamu alaiki.
Friendship.

Posted By: Chinky
Date Posted: 29 June 2011 at 7:35am
Assalamu'alaikum,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will definitely take a look at the books you suggested. My father is a very educated man. He is also religious in his own right. His reason to refuse the guy was 1. because of his father, 2. because he doesn't have a formal university education, however, he does have a decent profession in mechanics, in which he has high prospects of excelling. My father doesn't believe in giving his daughters to anyone who does not have a university education, and he doesn't believe this guy has any direction in his life as to how he will successfully provide for his family. Are his reasons for saying no valid? Jazakallah for all your help.

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 29 June 2011 at 8:16pm
Salaam
Chinky, you didn't give your location...
Looking at the current state of economy your dad must be concerned about the historical earning prospects of the level of education and other protocols for the prospective son in law...
The experience keeps a dear school and fool wouldn't learn in any other! And your dad has more experience wouldn't you grant that?

The Islamic marriage is a contract and the signers need to be comfortable before the sign off! The contracts are not based upon istikharas!

Did you say he is a mechanic?

The following table gives some guidelines about the prospects!
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_increased_earnings_income_bachelors_masters_doctorate.htm - http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_increased_earnings_income_bachelors_masters_doctorate.htm

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 01 July 2011 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Chinky Chinky wrote:

Assalamu'alaikumI received a marriage proposal from a guy who has wanted to get married to me for a few years now. I prayed Salaatul Istikhaarah and felt that I should agree to marry him. We were almost officially engaged and wedding plans were being discussed. However, just recently a huge argument had erupted between our two fathers, and my father has decided to call it quits. the guy is determined not to give up and convince the elders to agree again, but my father is determined not to agree to this marriage proposal. i have prayed Salaatul Istikhaarah again a few times, and each time I feel that I should trust Allah and not say no to this guy simply because of his father, because the guy himself has never disrespected my dad. I cannot see any solid reason for why I should say no to the guy, as he is an honest, hardworking man, and a practicing muslim. At the same time, since my father is completely against it, I don't want to go against his wishes. My father feels the guy is not right for me since he is not as educated as I am, but we both have the same Islamic and family values, which I feel is more important. I don't know what is the response to my Istikhaara, is it my gut feeling telling me not to say no to this guy, or is it my father's determination to say no? I have had several marriage proposals in the past, but all of them have fallen through for good reason, this is the only guy who has been persistent in marrying me for years now, and he still is, even though he knows my dad is not agreeable. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I am in such a confused state, I don't know what to do.

Walaikum Salaam wa rahmatullah

Sis Chinky, may be the happenings are response to the Istikharah, right !

If you go thru the translations of the dua made while Istikharah, in which we also say Allah swt that - You know and i know not. You are the Knower of Hidden things". Also we make dua that if it good for me for both dunya and aakhirah, ordain it and make it easy for me and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for
me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it.

As said these situations might be an answer to Istikharah. Allah swt is the Knower of hidden things. So be patient and keep making duas sister. Stand by your father's decision whatever it is.

May Allah swt ease these days for you. Ameen

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net