Print Page | Close Window

Help is hard to find

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 2:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Help is hard to find
Posted By: icforumadmin
Subject: Help is hard to find
Date Posted: 13 March 2005 at 7:32pm
Topic:  Help is hard to find (1 of 6), Read 18 times 
Conf:  Corners: Women's
Date:  Saturday, March 05, 2005 05:40 PM 

Salam alaikum
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm trying women's corner.

There is a problem and I'm not sure what to do. I have found out that help is really, really hard to find in this day.

There is a sister in a really bad situation. She left a bad marriage and is now homeless. The only possible alternative was her parents, but they are abusive and living with them makes her want to commit suicide. She has applied at least 8 places for a job and is still applying, but has not found one. She has tried to reach out for help but hasn't found any. Inshallah soon the Muslim community will help her. She has talked to a sister in the community who helped out another sister, but this sister was unable to do anything at all. It seems when she reaches out for help, the most she can get is a "hang in there." She has even slept in her car with her child, not having a safe place to go. She has applied for government housing, but rejected for a reason she doesn't understand. She is not a bad person or looking for a "free ride", she is desperate to make it on her own, but can't catch a break as of yet. She is too embarrassed to contact ISNA or other popular Islamic groups. As of yet she hasn't found any support from the Muslim community subhanallah and she is now thinking of trying Christian resources for help. She would take any job, she is really trying.

Does any sister know what she can do, if there is any real help out there? She cries everyday because she doesn't know what she will do or how she will live and support her child. Seems its hard to find people willing to help the needy these days.

Also if anyone would like to make a donation-inclucing size 2T boy clothing, size 5 diapers, wipes, hijabs, etc, please contact me for an address.

Jazakhallah khair

======================================

Topic:  Help is hard to find (2 of 6), Read 16 times 
Date:  Saturday, March 05, 2005 08:39 PM 

Walaikum assalam,

Most cities have women's shelters for just this purpose. The sister needs to find one; this can be done by contacting one of the local news stations, who are usually glad to help.

Please let us know how this situation evolves Insha'Allah.

Yusuf

Risale-i Nur

========================================

Topic:  Help is hard to find (3 of 6), Read 18 times 
Date:  Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:38 PM 

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

I wish Allah will help this sister(Amin!!!),i can't imagine a sister sleeping in the car,being lonely in the streets with her baby;being an homeless...she should be highly connected to a mosque or if not,even a religious center about christianity...

YUSUFALI: It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah-fearing.

YUSUFALI: So give what is due to kindred, the needy, and the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek the Countenance, of Allah, and it is they who will prosper.

YUSUFALI: What Allah has bestowed on His Messenger (and taken away) from the people of the townships,- belongs to Allah,- to His Messenger and to kindred and orphans, the needy and the wayfarer; In order that it may not (merely) make a circuit between the wealthy among you. So take what the Messenger assigns to you, and deny yourselves that which he withholds from you. And fear Allah; for Allah is strict in Punishment.

Topic:  Help is hard to find (4 of 6), Read 17 times 
Date:  Sunday, March 06, 2005 06:33 AM 

An idea of where your friend is might help. I assume in
the USA and not legally since you mention ISNA and do
not mention the US welfare system.

A good place for a Muslim to seek assistance from the
Christian community is the Unitarians http://
http://www.uua.org/ - www.uua.org

They will not only not try to convert your friend, but will
actively support the practice of Islam. They believe in
worship through action, social justice and in each
individual finding their own spiritual path.

DavidC

Topic:  Help is hard to find (5 of 6), Read 21 times 
Date:  Sunday, March 06, 2005 07:03 AM 

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

But,i have recognized a problem,if this sister has no knowledge,motivation on Islam,what will be the effects of the christians on her?.What you would do if you have an weak iman and you are in depression and a another culture helps you and give some instructions while seeing that your baby is crying on your hands?;by these kinds of reasons Qur'an does not give permission for muslimah's marriage with a man from the people of book...in first hand,this sister should be taken the help by the muslims!!!(where are u?),this is the best;unless she can go to a christian society,i have changed my idea.Allah knows the best...

Topic:  Help is hard to find (6 of 6), Read 19 times 
Date:  Sunday, March 06, 2005 09:21 AM 

Walaikum assalam,

The Unitarians are different. They can be trusted not to attempt to influence our sister in any way. They are, in their own way, Muslims, and our brothers and sisters.

Yusuf

Risale-i Nur

Replies:
Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 22 March 2005 at 7:47am

Bismillah,

If she goes to a women's shelter, they should give her help in filling out the forms properly for housing, food stamps, and welfare.  It is difficult and there are many rules which are hard to understand at the shelters, but I have seen a few sisters go there and get small apartments a few months later.  It depends on the state, and local area.

If she was abused by her husband verbally or physically, then she can to to a domestic violence shelter, which can offer help to her with forms, but are also difficult with curfew demands and other rules.  She would go to the top of the list for housing assistance that way.

As far as I know, there are two or three forms of housing to apply for.  One is city; one is state; one is just local apartment communities that have a person pay only 30% of their income.  Even if she has no money or job now, she can get on the waiting list for the reduced income apartment, and by then maybe a group, ISA, will have come through to promise to pay her reduced rent for her, or she may have a job.

Personally, my heat is turned off, and my car is broken down, but I will send a little money if I can, ISA.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: ellinni
Date Posted: 25 March 2005 at 1:24pm
i have near to similar experience with this sister. I came away from home and now situated with my husband whom is a new muslim. He recovered from his injuries in my hometown and return to usa. we need some aid to get on our feet. I went to the mosque to get support and help but all i hv is plamplet of ppl doing business. We try to search in the muslim yellow pages but nothing. In my home town if anyone go to mosque theres ppl there sincerely and willingly to help, or give some lead where we can get help but in us is so difficult. It make me miss home so badly. His mum whos a christian sacarsticly said to me where are ur ppl and arent its bad that even in ur place of god no one can help u im lost of words. End up we hv to go to christianity place to get warm clothing and other necessity..Where are all the sister and brother. I dont understand it at all.. 

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 26 March 2005 at 5:34am

Bismillah,

Go to the government for food stamps.  That is the easiest help to get.  Keep going to the mosques in your area to find the right people to get help from.  Put it in writing.  Don't give up.

The government has emergency help for heating, food, but there are hoops to jump through.

I have known mosques to give subsidies on a monthly basis to sisters and families. 

I have no money to help right now.  Sorry.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: ellinni
Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 12:34pm

assalamualaikum

Thks for ur reply and concern..Do ppl here pay zakat and if they do where do the zakat money gone to ..isnt it supposed to b a support for ppl in need..if ur alone i undersand that its impossible to help us in need..but if all muslim ppl are together and hv a feeling of sympathy toward other sister and brother whom in need it will help reduced the burden they're facing...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net