Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12553
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 12:04am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: CONCEPT OF ADULTERY IN ISLAM AND ITS PUNISHMENT
Posted By: Truth_light24
Subject: CONCEPT OF ADULTERY IN ISLAM AND ITS PUNISHMENT
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 7:04am

"Do not go near to adultery. Surely it is a shameful deed and evil, opening roads (to other evils)" (Quran 17:32).

"Say, 'Verily, my Lord has prohibited the shameful deeds, be it open or secret, sins and trespasses against the truth and reason"' ( Quran 7:33).

"Women impure are for men impure, and men impure are for women impure and women of purity are for men of purity, and men of purity are for women of purity." (Quran 24:26)

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity, and God is well acquainted with all they do. And say to the believing woman that they should lower their gaze, and guard their modesty." (Quran 24:30-3 1)

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has said in many places that adultery is one of the three major sins. However, the most interesting story is that of a young man who went to the Prophet. This man asked for permission to fornicate because he could not control himself. The Prophet dealt with him with reasoning and asked him if he would approve of someone else having illegal sex with his mother, sister, daughter, or wife. Each time the man said 'no'. Then the Prophet replied that the woman with whom you plan to have sex is also somebody's mother, sister, daughter, or wife. The man understood and repented. The Prophet(pbuh) prayed for his forgiveness.

Hadith reported by Ibn Mas�ood, (RA), stating that a man came to the Prophet(pbuh) and said: �O Messenger of Allah, I sported with a woman in the outskirts of Madina . . . [and] committed an offence, short of fornication (kissing, necking, petting..etc). . . . Kindly deliver verdict on me.� `Umar(RA) said to him: �Allah concealed your fault. You had better conceal it yourself also.� The Prophet(pbuh) gave no reply to him, so the man stood up and went away. Thereupon the Prophet(pbuh) sent a person after him to call on him and recite to him: �And keep up prayer in the two parts of the day and in the first hours of the night; surely good deeds take away evil deeds this is a reminder to the mindful.� (Hud 11:115) Following this, the Prophet(pbuh) dismissed the man, telling him: �Allah has exempted you from the imposition of Hadd, or from your sin.� Someone who was present at the time asked the Prophet(pbuh) whether such clemency related only to that individual. �No, but for the people at large,� the Prophet(pbuh) said reassuring all believers. (Reported by Muslim, At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawood.)�

This does not mean that other behaviors such as kissing, hugging, caressing, heavy petting, etc. are not prohibited, but the requirements needed to justify a harsh punishment of adultery are strict. They are not considered major adultery (hadd punishment), but they fit into the category of minor adultery which is also prohibited. Obviously, couples can engage in all these activities without being exposed to witnesses and thus avoid punishment in this life. But they still must answer to Allah, the Almighty, who, in no uncertain terms, admonishes against any sexual contact outside of marriage.

Adultery is a crime not against one person but against the whole of society. It is a violation of a marital contract. 50% of all first time marriages in the USA result in divorce within two years and the main reason for divorce are the adultery of one of the partners. Adultery, which includes both pre-marital and extra marital sex, is an epidemic in this society. Nobody seems to listen to the Bible ( in Christian place), which says frequently, "Thou shall not commit adultery." The Quranic approach is, "Do not approach adultery."

PUNISHMENT OF ADULTERY

It is essential to stone the married adulterer until he dies, following the Sunnah of the Messenger (pbuh), as it is proven that he said that, did it and enjoined it.

The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) stoned Maa�iz, the Juhani woman, the Ghaamidi woman, and the two Jews. All of that is proven in saheeh ahaadeeth narrated from the Prophet (pbuh).

Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated in their Saheehs from Ibn �Abbaas (RA) that �Umar (RA) said: �Allah sent Muhammad (pbuh) with the truth and revealed to him the Book, and one of the things that Allah revealed was the verse of stoning. We have read it and understood it. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) stoned (adulterers) and we stoned (them) after him, but I fear that there may come a time when some people say: �By Allah, we do not find the verse of stoning in the Book of Allah.� So they will go astray by forsaking an obligation that Allah has revealed.

According to the Book of Allah, stoning is deserved by the one who commits zina, if he is married, men and women alike, if proof is established or the woman becomes pregnant or they confess�� 

Based on this, it is not permissible to replace stoning with killing by the sword or shooting, because stoning is a more severe punishment and a more effective deterrent to the sin of zina, which is the most grave sin after shirk and killing a soul whom Allah has forbidden us to kill. The hadd punishment of stoning for a married person who commits zina is one of the matters that is determined by the Qur�aan and Sunnah and there is no room for ijtihaad or personal opinion. If killing by the sword or shooting were permissible in the case of the married adulterer then the Prophet (pbuh) would have done that and would have explained it to his ummah, and his companions after him would have done that too. 

"The woman and the man guilty of illegal sexual intercourse, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by All�h, if you believe in All�h and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment. (This punishment is for unmarried persons guilty of the above crime but if married persons commit it, the punishment is to stone them to death, according to All�h's Law)." (Quran 24:2)

-------------
And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a glaring sin. Quran33:59

Replies:
Posted By: believer
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:41am
Adultry can also be an affair of the heart with nothing physical.  The internet has opened up many ways to fall into this sin.

At times the affair of the heart can be much more hurtful.  Love is involved instead of just a physical desire.

I live where a group of neighbors of opposite sex can hug each other as friends, congratulating, consuling, without any raised eyebrows because the thought of sex with the person is not there.  Just brotherly love.

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

I live where a group of neighbors of opposite sex can hug each other as friends, congratulating, consuling, without any raised eyebrows because the thought of sex with the person is not there.  Just brotherly love.

I'll take you at your word with respect to your own thoughts, but how can you be certain about the thoughts and inner feelings of others?  You may hug your neighbor's wife while congratulating, consoling or in a friendly gesture without sexual tension, however her true sentiments are unknown, that is, not know to you.

Posted By: Salams_wife
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 12:01pm
That could be true of two men or women as well.  You don't know their orientation and these days they could be as interested in the opposite gender as the same.  Nothing is more embarrassing than when you find out your long time friend has no interest in the opposite sex and you can't know if all your innocent hugs were just that or if they were thinking of something else.  I try to avoid hugging anyone that isn't a family member these days.

Posted By: martha
Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 12:34pm

As I don't get any hugs from anyone ,other than my youngest son when he comes to stay, a 'cyber hug' would be much appreciated.

As you get older, you can differentiate between friendly hugs and sexual ones. Must be really nice if you have loads of family members. At least you have a choice whether to hug or not.

So, I'm looking forward to these 'cyber hugs' please. Smile 
(I speak for all those that are in similar situations) Many thanks

-------------
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 12:55pm
As I only have one family member within 600 miles of me, Martha, I completely understand what you are saying.  I wish you lots of hugs.

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 1:22pm
Thanks Salams_wife.

Keep them coming please, I'm starting to feel betterSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:58pm

Ibn �Abbas narrated that the Prophet (pbuh) said:

�Allah has written for Adam�s son (mankind) his share of zina (adultery and fornication), which he commits inevitably. The zina of the eyes is the sight (to gaze at a forbidden thing), the zina of the tongue is the talk, and the inner-self wishes and desires and the private parts testify all this or deny.�

These are forbidden because they eventually might lead to sexual intercourse, and they are forbidden as a preventive issue,
because these actions may lead him to commit true zina. Bear in mind that Shaytan is always watching us, ready to jump on every opportunity presented to him, for him to influence humans and lead them to sinful act. The Prophet said, when a man and a woman were talking in private, their third party is Shaytan....Shaytan can whisper in our hearts to entice us to do bad deeds by presenting less obvious sin, Shaytan always attacks in the most insignificant aspects in our affairs.

Allah (swt) in the Nobel Qur�an said:

Nor come near to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils). (Quran 17:32)

-------------
And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a glaring sin. Quran33:59

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 3:01pm

May Allah bless you more, sis Martha�ameen!

We are your sisters in Islam and we love you for the sake of Allah ..Hug Hug

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 3:22pm

Hadith of the Prophet regarding the Stoning to death of the adulterer, men and women:

Abu Hurayra and Zayd bin Khalid narrated about the story of the two bidouins who came to the Messenger of Allah(pbuh)�O Messenger of Allah, this son of mine was employed by this man, and committed Zina with his wife. I paid a ransom with him on behalf of my son 100 sheep and a slave-girl, but when I asked the people of knowledge, they said my son should be given 100 stripes and banished for a year, and this this man�s wife should be stoned to death.� The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said:

�By the One Whose Hands is my soul, I will judge between you both according to the Book of Allah. Take back the slave-girl and the sheep, and your son is to be given 100 stripes and banished for one year. O Unays-he said to a man from the tribe of Aslam-go to this man�s wife and if she confesses, then stone her to death.�

Sahih Muslim 3:1324

This indicates that if the one committed the sin is single, he is asked to be banished for a year and be given a 100 stripes. But if married, then he/she should be stoned to death.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 3:28pm

This is just my belief, but whenever a hadith contradicts the Quran, I go with what the Quran says.  Hadith is not as accurate or reliable as the Quran.  Now, if there is a verse in the Quran specifically mentioning stoning as a punishment for this crime then I could agree to it.  As of now, the only verse I have seen is one prescribing 100 lashes.

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 3:50pm

I strongly agree with you sis Salam-Wife..to check the Quran and hadith. Check  Quran 24:2 and read it in the Tafseer ibn Katheer. In Tafseer ibn Katheer, they explained the meaning of that exact verse. And gave some hadith of the Prophet concerning that verse, particularly the stoning part. The hadith given were compiled by Muslim.

Quran 24:2

The woman and the man guilty of illegal sexual intercourse, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by All�h, if you believe in All�h and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment. (This punishment is for unmarried persons guilty of the above crime but if married persons commit it, the punishment is to stone them to death, according to All�h's Law).

Sahih Muslim 3:1324

�By the One Whose Hands is my soul, I will judge between you both according to the Book of Allah. Take back the slave-girl and the sheep, and your son is to be given 100 stripes and banished for one year. O Unays-he said to a man from the tribe of Aslam-go to this man�s wife and if she confesses, then stone her to death.�

Quran 24:8

�But it shall avert the punishment (of stoning to death) from her, if she bears witness four times by All�h, that he (her husband) is telling a lie.

Sahih Al-Bukhari, 8/6814 (O.P.805)

Narrated J�bir bin 'Abdull�h Al-Ans�ri [radhi-yAll�hu 'anhu]: A man from the tribe of Bani Aslam came to All�h's Messenger [sal-All�hu 'alayhi wa sallam] and informed him that he had committed illegal sexual intercourse and he bore witness four times against himself. All�h's Messenger [sal-All�hu 'alayhi wa sallam] ordered him to be stoned to death as he was a married person.

From the very beginning until now, I don�t write my opinion without support from the Quran first and foremost then the hadith of the Prophet, either in Bukhari or Muslim because that is the only sahih book that are unanimously agreed by all scholars to be authentic.

I don�t usually adopt the rulings on some of the sites available here (net) because, the site might be influenced by other sects. We can�t deny the fact that nowadays there are many sites that is making their own understanding and rulings and also using weak hadith as their basis.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 4:33pm

The door of repentance will remain open until the sun rises from the west , so whoever repents sincerely to Allah Almighty, fulifilling all of the conditions of repentance, Allah Almighty forgives him.her. But sincere repentance has conditions:-

1.  He/She must refrain from the sin

2.  He/She must feel remorse for having perpetrated that sin

3.  He/she must make a firm decision never return to that sin, fearing Allah�s punishment, seeking His forgiveness and glorifying His Mightiness.

�O you who believe! Turn to All�h with sincere repentance!....� Quran 66:8

�Say: "O 'Ib�d� (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of All�h, verily All�h forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.� Quran 39:53

Bu it your sin involves a right of human being, then you must return to them their rights, whether it is wealth or something else; otherwise, you must seek their pardon/forgiveness. The prophet had said:

�Whoever wronged his brother regarding his honor or something else, let him seek his pardon today, before (a time will come when) there will neither be Dinar nor Dirham. If the one transgressed has any good deeds, the person who was wronged will take from them according to the wrong that was done to him. If the transgressor does not have any good deeds, he will take the sins of the person he wronged, and the burden of the sins will be heaped upon him� Sahih Bukhari No. 2449

A Muslim should wary of not only shirk and what leads to shirk, but also of all sins, for he knows not for certain whether he will be guided to repent, nor whether he will be given the opportunity to repent. He must not complacent with shaytan with the intention that he will repent after he has sinned. No doubt that such attitude is one of Shaytan�s tricks, which he uses to snare people, to temp them.

Recite (O Muhammad) what has been revealed to you of the Book (the Qur'�n), and perform As-Sal�t (Iqam�t�as�Sal�t). Verily, As-Sal�t (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahsh�' (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse, etc.) and Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed, etc.) and the remembering (praising, etc.) of (you by) All�h (in front of the angels) is greater indeed [than your remembering (praising, etc.) All�h in prayers, etc.]. And All�h knows what you do.� Quran 29:45

We repent sincerely and honestly and coupled it with righteous deeds to woo the forgiveness of Allah, for Only Allah can see what is in our heart and Only Him can judge us. The only key to Jannah is His Mercy so we must please Him as much as we can and adhere to what He commanded us and abstain from what He forbade us..for us to be victorious in the world and in the Hereafter�ameen.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

Keep them coming please, I'm starting to feel betterSmile

LOL

Posted By: SuhasRao
Date Posted: 27 May 2008 at 5:13am

2000-FEB: United Arab Emirates: Kartini binti Karim, (a.k.a. Ms. Karteen Karikanderan), an unmarried citizen of Indonesia, was working as a housemaid in the United Arab Emirates when her pregnancy was detected. She and a man -- a citizen of India -- were charged with adultery. She was convicted; he fled the country before he could be arrested. She was placed on trial without a lawyer or a translator, "...alone and equipped with barely any word of the local language," . She was not told that she had a right to communicate with her embassy. Her embassy was not informed in advance of the trial. Under the UAE's form of Sharia, she was sentenced to death by stoning. The Indonesian government hired a lawyer and translator to appeal her case.

SuhasRao

Looking to perform an intervention on a loved one who is abusing drugs or alcohol? This site can definitely help. http://www.druginterventions.net - http://www.druginterventions.net

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 7:12am

THOSE ARABS DON�T REPRESENT MUSLIMS�I don�t want to comment more on that..Islam are for those who believes in it sincerely and adhering to the Commands of Allah and abstaining to the things and deeds forbidden in the Quran..as the Prophet said we are all equal..�An Arab is no better than a non-Arab�but the noblest in the eye of Allah is the pious one..�

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Truth_light24 Truth_light24 wrote:

THOSE ARABS DON�T REPRESENT MUSLIMS�

Well, who, if anyone, does represent Muslims in your estimation?

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 4:56pm

You will see ISLAM in those who are doing what a true Muslim should be, in deeds and in heart and does not hurt or oppress the helpless creation of Allah. Islam does not condone to being a RACIST, to look down on poor people and wreck people's dignity and honor... True Muslims can be black, yellow, red�Islam belongs to those who believes in it!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Truth_light24 Truth_light24 wrote:

True Muslims can be black, yellow, red�Islam belongs to those who believes in it!

So Arabs would be included.

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 8:31pm

It�s for all, regardless of who you are, where you from and not represented by one ethnicity�.

-------------

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 11:28pm

Auzubillahi Minash shaitan ir Rajeem

Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim,

There is no need to be sentimental about any group, and no racism will harm, insha Allah. Arab govts have earned for Islam much good opinion (insha Allah you can see the hyperbole), and it is time we censure them at least in word, if we cannot do in action.  From "those Arabs" I would read those who do not adhere to the Quran and Sharia in their deed, as opposed to "all" arabs.

Martha and Salams_wife, big bear hugs to both of you from JapanSmileHeart

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Posted By: believer
Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 6:01am

You might not be able to tall a friendly cyber hug from a friendly one, maybe not right away, but when it turns sexual and you remain in the cyber relationship then it is adultery.

here you go Martha- (((Martha)))

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 8:00am
Thanks for the cyber hugs everyone one. Don't worry, I shant see them as sexual.Wink

-------------

Posted By: robin
Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 8:27am
The Bible holds out a hope if they change thier way of Life:-

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God�s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God�s kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of YOU were. But YOU have been washed clean, but YOU have been sanctified, but YOU have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

If they do not change:-

Hebrews 13:4
Let marriage be honorable among all, and the marriage bed be without defilement, for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.

Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 4:31pm
Hugs for you too Nausheen and more hugs for you Martha.  I shall not think of anything bad from them so long as they come from women Smile

Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 10:40pm
LOL 

How does one turn a "cyber hug" into a sexual one? And, why would it be bad (salams_Wife) that a man cannot give you a "cyber hug?" especially one that is not physical or real?

Posted By: fareeda
Date Posted: 30 May 2008 at 5:50am

Fantasizing other members of the opposite sex (or the same sex if you're gay) other than your marital spouse forms an illicit relationship and violates modesty.

Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: That will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty...

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/024.qmt.html - Qur'an 24:30-31

Allah has written for the son of Adam his inevitable share of adultery whether he is aware of it or not. The adultery of the eye is the looking (at something which is sinful to look at), the adultery of the tongue is to utter (what it is unlawful to utter), the inner-self longs for adultery; and the private parts turn that into reality or refrain from submitting to the temptation. (Al-Bukhari)  

Date Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:05am
Israfil,

For one, because it would not be right for me and my beliefs.  For two, my husband would not appreciate it.

Date Posted: 30 May 2008 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Salams_wife Salams_wife wrote:

For one, because it would not be right for me and my beliefs.  For two, my husband would not appreciate it.

Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 31 May 2008 at 3:28am

I'm sure the prophet(pbuH) for example would give me a  hug if he felt I needed it.

There are some very decent, good thinking people in the world, that would not make sexual errors. The ruling is for the weak, not the strong, nevertheless rules must be there. It gives everyone a chance to remain strong. One day we shall all understand that.

As for it being a belief. No I don't see that at all. It's a rule

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2008 at 9:09am
I've never been good with rules so I have to call them beliefs Smile.  Beliefs are are something I can live by.  So even if it is a rule, just let me think it is a belief Big%20smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net