IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which translations of the Qur'an?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which translations of the Qur'an?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which translations of the Qur'an?
    Posted: 09 November 2019 at 1:40am

The following is an 'unfair and misguided' criticism of Islam and the Qur'an by a character who calls himself 'Peace Maker':

Originally posted by Peace maker Peace maker wrote:

...[Quran 39:11]. Say, “I was commanded to serve God, devoting my religion exclusively to Him.(Here Muhammad said he was devoting his own religion to Allah not Allah's religion so how do you define that,this tells you Muhammad made up his own religion.)...

Typical of all Opponents of Islam! 

They ignore all trusted translations... and go for a translation that is unreliable, untrustworthy, and very poor indeed. If this is not the 'blindness' described (regularly) in our Qur'an... then I don't know what is.

Unlike the 'Peace Makers' of this world, Muslims (who know their religion) know exactly what the verse is saying, and would of course get their Qur'an from:

1) either Directly from the Arabic (original) version... maybe under the guidance of a competent Muslim... or

2) from (somewhat) trusted translations. (see below).

Chapter (39) sūrat l-zumar (The Groups)

Sahih International: Say, [O Muhammad], "Indeed, I have been commanded to worship Allah , [being] sincere to Him in religion.

Pickthall: Say (O Muhammad): Lo! I am commanded to worship Allah, making religion pure for Him (only).

Yusuf Ali: Say: "Verily, I am commanded to serve Allah with sincere devotion;

Shakir: Say: I am commanded that I should serve Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience.

Muhammad Sarwar: Say, "I am commanded to worship God and be devoted to His religion

Mohsin Khan: Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily, I am commanded to worship Allah (Alone) by obeying Him and doing religious deeds sincerely for Allah's sake only and not to show off, and not to set up rivals with Him in worship;

The translation you quoted above is by Talal Itani, a 'newcomer' to the Qur'an who decided to 'translate' his own copy! (without going through the proper authorities). He has been widely criticized. For example:

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/dubai-s-grand-mufti-warns-against-unauthorised-quran-translations-on-the-internet-1.646237

Who is Talal Itani?

https://www.google.com/search?q=talal+itani&oq=Talal+Itani&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.18081j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

so BEWARE of new, odd, untrustworthy translations of the Qur'an

Note: Thanks to 'Peace Maker' for (inadvertently) highlighting this issue for us! Tongue

Hassanbasree View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hassanbasree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2020 at 8:24am
how can we trust his translations? when I look at his translation, I see errors
Muhammad Saad View Drop Down

Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muhammad Saad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 10:26pm
Sahih international translation is the best.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic