IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ashura in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ashura in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ashura in Islam
    Posted: 28 September 2017 at 11:01pm
Ashura in Islam

Some important ahadith regarding the 10th of Muharram which is also referred to as Ashura. Muharram is the 1st month of Islamic year known as Hijra (Emigration).

The Holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alahi Wassallam) has enumerated the significance of this day in ahadith. This hadith has been mentioned in Al Ghunya of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Gilani. He (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) has stated that

�     Allah created the heavens, mountains, oceans, pen (qalam) and tablet (lawh) on this day.
�     Hazrath Ibrahim (alaihi salaam) was born, and Allah (Swt)   saved him from the furnace on this day.
�     Pharaoh was drowned,
�     Allah (swt)   forgave the transgression Adam (alaihi salaam) ,
�     Isa (alaihi salaam) was born on this day
�     The day of Reckoning will occur on this day.

Of all the significant events that have taken place on this day in the history of mankind, 2 are connected to our history of Islam and in particular with the life of Muhammad Rasool Allah (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam). One took place before his birth and one after his passing away. One is his ordering to fast on the day of Ashura when Musa (alaihi Sallaam) and Bani Israel were rescued by Allah (swt). The 2nd is the martyrdom of his beloved grandson Imam Hussain (alaihi Salaam).

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: When the Prophet came to Medina, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of 'Ashura' (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: "This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah." The Prophet said, "I am closer to Moses than they." So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it. (Sahih Bukhari)

In other traditions it is mentioned that the fasting of Ashura was obligatory before fasting of Ramadaan was made obligatory. Muslims were ordered to fast the 9th and 10th or 10th and 11th, 2 days instead of 1 to distinguish them from the Jews who fasted only on the 10th. Imitating the non-Muslims in any way is discouraged in Islam.

The following Verse of the Quran mentions the delivery of Musa (alaihi Salaam) and Bani Israel from Firaun and his army.

So We revealed to Musa, "Strike the sea with your staff." And it split in two, each part like a towering cliff. And We brought the others right up to it. We rescued Musa and all those who were with him. (Al Quran 26:63-65)

Another very important event is the martyrdom of Imam Hussain (alahi salaam). There are many instances in the life of Rasool Allah (sallAllahu alaihi Wassallam) where he gave indications about the persecution that some people of his household will undergo after his passing away. The below ahadith testify to that:

AbdAllaah said, "Whilst we were with the Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam), some young men from Banu Hashim approached us. When the Prophet (salAllaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) saw them, his eyes filled with tears and the colour of his face changed. I said, 'We can see something has changed in your face, and it upsets us.' The Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said, 'We are the people of a Household for whom Allah has chosen the Hereafter rather than this world. The people of my Household (Ahl al-Bayt) will suffer a great deal after my death.
(Al Bidayah Wa Al Nihaya � Imam Ibn Kathir)

This persecution which Rasool Allah (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) prophesied came to be true in the martyrdom of Imam Hussain and his family members 50 years after, who were part of the Ahlal Bayt (household) of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam).

Hazrath Salmi (r.a) reports I went to Umme Salama (r.a) and found her crying. I asked her why she was crying and she replied: �I saw the Messenger of Allah (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) in a dream and his blessed head and blessed beard was ruffled and full of sand. I asked him, �O Messenger of Allah! What is the matter? (why are you in this condition) �. He replied, �I have just witnessed the martyrdom of Husayn.�
(Sunan Tirmidhi, Abwaab Al Manaqib)

The following Verse of the Quran bears witness to the event of the cloak known as Hadith e Kisaa which signifies the importance Allah (swt) attached to the household of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam).

And (O Wives of the Prophet) stay in your homes and do not go about displaying your allurements as in the former Time of Ignorance. Establish Prayer, give Zakah, and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah only wishes to remove uncleanness from you, O members of the (Prophet's) household (Ahlal Bayt), and to purify you completely. (Al Quran 33:33)

According to Ibn Abi Hatim, once when Aishah was asked about Ali, she said, �Do you ask me about the person who was among the most loved ones of the Prophet and whose wife was the Prophet�s (peace be upon him) daughter and most beloved to him?� Then she related the event when the Prophet (peace be upon him) had called Ali and Fatimah and Hasan and Husain (may Allah be pleased with them all) and covered them all with a sheet of cloth and prayed: �O Allah, these are my household, remove uncleanness from them and make them pure.� Aishah says, �I said: I also am included among your household (i.e. I may also be covered under the sheet and prayed for).� Thereupon the Prophet replied: �You stay out: you, of course, are already included.� (Tafheem Ul Quran � Maulana Maududi)

http://www.islamicstudies.info/tafheem.php?sura=33&verse=28&to=34

The above Verse is part of the group of Verses revealed together, beginning from Verse 28 till 33. Verse 28 and the following ones clearly address the wives of Rasool Allah (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam), the mothers of this Ummah. With the revelation of Verse 33 Prophet covered with his cloak all 5, himself, Ali, Fatima, Hassan and Hussain. The wives of the Prophet and these 4, both are included in the words �Ahlal Bayt (Household)�. Therefore anyone claiming that the above Verse excludes the above 4 or those who claim that wives are excluded from the above verse, are both in great error.

Keeping this in mind, we should focus on spending 2 days (i.e. 9th and 10th or 10th and 11th) in the service of Allah (swt), by fasting, racing towards good and putting effort to prevent doing anything bad to ourselves or others. Remembering Imam Hussain (alaihi Salaam) by reading about the Karbala Event and understanding the spirit of sacrifice him and his followers displayed, in addition to sending lots of Durood (peace and blessings) on Rasool Allah (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) and his Ahlal Bayt (Household).

Hazrat Anas (radi Allahu anhu) narrates that Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) said: "He who reads a single Durood upon me, Almighty Allah blesses him ten times, ten of his sins are forgiven, and he is increased ten times in stages (internally). (Mishkaat)

May Allah Accept this, Ameen.

Edited by syed_z - 29 September 2017 at 6:57am
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 8:09am
Asalaam O Alaikum,

Its not fard but if you do its additional thawab and blessings you can earn.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic