IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is becoming an astrophysicist acceptable in Islam?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is becoming an astrophysicist acceptable in Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koopa39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is becoming an astrophysicist acceptable in Islam?
    Posted: 19 August 2016 at 7:21pm
Assalamu Alaykum,

Is becoming an astrophysicist/astronomer acceptable in Islam?

It would only consist of research in astrophysics/astronomy. It would not involve teaching, nor would it involve working in planetariums and science museums.

The job of astrophysicist/astronomer consists in:
- Programming, writing computer code to analyze observational data or to make models/simulations of phenomena.
- Writing scientific research papers that may be published in scholarly journals.
- Writing many emails.
- Filling out paperwork to get funding for our projects.
- Traveling very frequently to many countries to present our research findings at scientific conferences and lectures, and to meet other astrophysicists/astronomers.
- Traveling frequently to many remote parts of the world (on top of mountains) to make observations with optical or radio telescopes.

Note that �astrophysics� and �astronomy� are the same thing. But they must not be confused with �astrology� which is something totally different.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 1:51pm
Formally I wouldn't see any reason to not do it.
As Muslims keep on telling me - science is held in high esteem in Islam.

The way you define this activity is however surprising to me.
When listing the activities linked to this job, it seems to me as if you had a bookkeepers view onto this profession. All the things you list (besides possibly the first line) are rather "collateral damage" than the essence of it.    

To do it you first need a sound knowledge in physics and mathematics. You also need a critical spirit to "think outside the box".
But the way you present things it looks to me as if you asked for permission ("Is becoming an astrophysicist/astronomer acceptable in Islam?") to do so. IMHO this is not a good starting point for a profession where unbiased and strong curiosity is mandatory and where you have to play the devils advocate by putting your and competing theories in doubt all the time - even and especially when they clash with your religion

The underlying problem is of course that this may erode your faith.

...but may be I can help you with that.

Best regards: Airmano

Edited by airmano - 25 August 2016 at 2:05pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2016 at 10:41pm
Wa�alaykumsalam,

Yes, being an astrophysicist / astronomer is acceptable in Islam. Even God told to Mankind and Jin (genie) to penetrate regions of the heavens and the earth (as mentioned in His Word)
Precisely with the profession as an astronomer, geologist, doctor, etc., for Muslims will further strengthen their faith than Muslims who don't have the profession like that.

Regards.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2016 at 12:10pm
The job of an astrophysicist is to do your best to understand the universe and to develope a deeper understanding of the universe by seeing what is out there, developing ideas to explain it, using those ideas to predict other things and seeing if those predictions are correct. When they are you publish a great new paper. When they are not you list another "did not work" result and move on, having added a bit of understanding although not an exciting bit.

Questing for knowledge with an open mind.

Good luck. I hope you find new stuff!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic