IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any American Lawyers?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any American Lawyers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craziirabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any American Lawyers?
    Posted: 21 December 2015 at 6:41pm
Asalaamu Alaykum, I already ahve an attorney, but he is not familiar with Islam. 
My ex-husband fooled him into believing that Eid Al-Fitr lasted an entire week (Monday through Sunday)  Eid Al-Fitr was on June 18, 2015 Which is a Saturday.  From all the research I have done, it can last up to three days, but never an entire week!

Our story:
We married and shortly after I was pregnant with our first child, our daughter.  He started working less and playing video a LOT!  He even missed the birth of our daughter because he dropped me off at the hospital and went home to play video games.

A couple of months later, I caught him with another woman.  In bed. 
I didn't know what to do and decided to try to make things work out.  4 months later, I was pregnant with our son. 

He stopped working all together.  He just played video games all day, all night.  I worked through my pregnancy and sometimes brought our daughter to work with me. 

On the days, I left our daughter at home with him, he wouldn't change her diapers, and being only 8 months old, he would strap her in a car seat, give her a cup of yogurt and piece of bread and played his video games non stop. 

During this time, I had filed green card papers for him.  No, I wasn't aware of the massive problem surrounding green card seekers.

After our son was born, I caught him cheating again, with multiple women.  I threatened to leave and he dragged me down a hall and tried to throw me down the stairs.  He held me down on the floor and left huge bruises all over my body.

I asked our Imam for help, but he wasn't too keen on helping. 

I asked his family for help, but they just backed him on everything, even excusing the adultery. 

I held onto our family with everything I had.  About the 6th month after finding out he was cheating and beating me up, I caught him cheating again, and again, he beat me up.  But this time, I called the police on him and he went to jail. 

His family, who's name is on the title of our house, kicked me and our son (6 months old) out of the house.  I had no where to go.  I went to a shelter.  After a couple of months in the shelter, I wanted nothing more than to go home.  So I did.

In the meantime, we had filed for divorce.

I tried again, after he told me things would change, to make our marriage work.  We did not cancel our divorce, but just put it on hold.

One month after moving back home, I caught him cheating again.  He beat me up again, worse this time, leaving permanent nerve damage in my back.  I left him for good.

I went to my parents house for support while we went through the divorce.  My parents live over 1000 miles from where my ex husband lives.  I was ordered, by the presiding judge, to come back to the state my ex-husband lives. 

He had five violent domestic abuse and child endangerment charges against him.  He threatened, in court, to take the kids back to his country.  The judge immediately placed an order that the children could not leave the state.  So I had to stay.

Since our divorce finished before he was convicted of the criminal charges, I was forced to mediate a custody agreement with him.  The criminal charges could not be used in custody court because he was not yet convicted.

Now, over the years, I have been VERY lenient and patient with him.  I have NEVER tried to keep the kids away from him.  Our daughter has had head lice for THREE years!  and I don't have head lice!  He has moved various women in and out of his house.  Our daughter is failing in school and the kids tell me that him and his new wife have started abusing them.

I am taking him back to court for custody next week, and to tell you the truth, I'm scared.  My lawyer doesn't understand a lot of things that need to be brought up to the judge regarding our religious beliefs; however, I cannot find a Muslim lawyer. 

Is there anybody that might be able to help me?
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 11:30pm
Salam,

I don't understand why you need muslim lawyer. To me your case is nothing to do with Islam.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
craziirabbit View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craziirabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:10am
Okay, well my ex husband is trying to use Islam as an excuse for cheating on me and his new wife, beating me and her up, keeping our kids out of school, and just being an overall jerk.  He has no Islamic backing, but just mentioning religious discrimination scares people.  I would like someone who understands Islam representing me.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 7:20am
Ditto Semar!
MarieFahnert View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarieFahnert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2016 at 12:52am
It is not very difficult to find a lawyer difficult part is to find the best one that will provide you with a proper guidance.There are many ups and down is life but once should not loose confidence.Now you are in a situation where you are trying to be separate well you're not alone.Even my relative had the same problem they visit to custody lawyer Fairfax, VA and thankfully their problem was solved.You can try hope you get a better solution.

Edited by MarieFahnert - 18 January 2016 at 10:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic