IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a Surah the like thereof  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a Surah the like thereof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 525354
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Alaikum salaam, brother.

Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

Waalaikumassalaam

But they also don't say He *didn't* create people in any other way.

I have just recollected that He does speak of other methods of human creation.

Yes, so saying that God created Adam and Jesus without parents is not a contradiction of the saying that He made people from two parents... as one could say that Adam and Eve and Jesus were exceptions.
However, Him saying that He did not make any people but from a man and woman would contradict this.

Saying God did things one way does not exclude the possibility that He did things also in other ways.
Saying He did not do things in any other way does exclude.

Depends on how he speaks! He may speak categorically or He may simply make a statement of fact. He may be definitive on an occasion or He may speak specifically about something.

In every other example I brought up from the Quran where God says He does not do anything, you believe there are no exceptions... and rightly so, since that would be a contradiction!

Correct. And the Quran has an explicit statement that God did not create any man with two hearts in his body.

Is that statement explicit? No. The speaker says in the video says that Allah did not place two hearts in the chest of a man. But it is implied that a woman may have two hearts in her body but not her chest. That is the subtlety of the Quran.

It may be implied that the woman may have two hearts in her body, but the statement that Allah did not place two hearts in the chest of a man is false... unless the verse is a metaphor.
If the verse is a metaphor, it is no longer an error but then it ceases to be a miracle in subtlety since the heart being referred to is a metaphor and not a physical thing... in which case a woman could also not have two hearts in her body.
Either the verse is meant literally and the subtlety comes along with a scientific error or the the verse is meant as a metaphor and the lack of scientific error comes with the lack of a miracle.

OK, so you are arguing that the whole Quran is a miracle for this reason.

Yes.

OK. In that case, this verse is as miraculous as 40:23 or many of the other verses in the Quran which state something that is already obvious.

Yet there is nothing miraculous about the verse about no man having been created with two hearts in his body on its own.

Here, it is an example of a subtlety in language. To be seen in the background of the revelation described in my previous post.

As previously explained, this subtlety would then come at the cost of a scientific mistake.

That isn't what I asked, bro :)
I asked will their *religions* be accepted?

No, no other religion shall be accepted.

Then why do you accept that despite God having said He created no man with two hearts in his chest He may have done that?

But He also said He created no man with two hearts in his body. And we have seen examples of men who do.

Neither did He say there will be human beings with no legs or, one with three legs. But there are such.

Did He anywhere say He created no human being with no legs or no human being with three legs?

And how do you know that? :)
Is it by any chance from verses like
6:131

This is because your Lord would not destroy the (populations of) towns for their wrong-doing (i.e. associating others in worship along with Allah) while their people were unaware (so the Messengers were sent).

Yes. There may be others as well.

Great. So here again you accept that God does not destroy wrong-doers without warning because there is a verse saying He does not destroy wrong-doers without warning.
In this case, accepting that God may have created men with more than two hearts in their chests despite a verse where God says He didn't would also be illogical and in my opinion reflect a double standard (sorry if I am being offensive, not my intent but that is the way I see it).

OK I think I understand now. Since you believe the entire Quran is a miracle due to its revelation over several years, this verse automatically is one also, right? If I misunderstand what you said, please correct me brother.

[QUOTE=The Saint]
Actually yes, the entire Quran is a miracle of miracles. Therefore, all ayahs in it are special and possibly miraculous in some manner. This particular ayah is remarkable because of linguistic precision.

I could see why you would claim that the verse is a miracle by default.
I don't see how you can continue to insist it is linguistically precise without seeing the obvious scientific error.

Edited by TG12345 - 01 May 2016 at 6:45pm
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 4:19am
Let us look at another episode of Nouman Ali Khan's video which speaks about the difference in the way Moosa AS and Isa AS address the people of Israel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ULa2JzPG0 From app the 8:43 minutes onwards.

Another pointer to exemplary awareness and precision of the author.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:17am
Yes, so saying that God created Adam and Jesus without parents is not a contradiction of the saying that He made people from two parents... as one could say that Adam and Eve and Jesus were exceptions.

Are you saying and accepting that there could be exceptions to God's laws? If that is the case then our debate comes to a conclusive end. Which means, that there are exceptions to God's rules.

However, Him saying that He did not make any people but from a man and woman would contradict this.

Sure.

In every other example I brought up from the Quran where God says He does not do anything, you believe there are no exceptions... and rightly so, since that would be a contradiction!

If I can recall correctly it was you who threw-up exceptions, i.e. Lippert. Then I countered that by much more famous and eminent exceptions.

It may be implied that the woman may have two hearts in her body, but the statement that Allah did not place two hearts in the chest of a man is false... unless the verse is a metaphor.

I am amazed to note that you have still not grasped what was discussed in that video? To wit, the emphasis in that video on the fact that a woman may have two hearts in her body because she gets pregnant but a man does not get pregnant.

If the verse is a metaphor, it is no longer an error but then it ceases to be a miracle in subtlety since the heart being referred to is a metaphor and not a physical thing... in which case a woman could also not have two hearts in her body.

Either the verse is meant literally and the subtlety comes along with a scientific error or the the verse is meant as a metaphor and the lack of scientific error comes with the lack of a miracle.

The verse, I have already said could have a different meaning. One, that you appear to prefer. But in an indirect and subtle reference we see a linguistic subtlety also.

OK. In that case, this verse is as miraculous as 40:23 or many of the other verses in the Quran which state something that is already obvious.

Quran states things in its own inimitable manner and quite few things it says are miracles, in the sense that at the time those things were revealed no one knew about them on earth.

Did He anywhere say He created no human being with no legs or no human being with three legs?

Not that I know of. But I would not rule-out the possibility that He, in His infinite wisdom, has said something in that context, even if indirectly.

Great. So here again you accept that God does not destroy wrong-doers without warning because there is a verse saying He does not destroy wrong-doers without warning.

I accept.

In this case, accepting that God may have created men with more than two hearts in their chests despite a verse where God says He didn't would also be illogical and in my opinion reflect a double standard (sorry if I am being offensive, not my intent but that is the way I see it).

God does make exceptions, we have already seen that in the case of Jesus PBUH. But if I look-up the Bible I shall be able to provide exceptions by the thousands! So, you do not really have a case at all. Only you are trying to make one.

I don't see how you can continue to insist it is linguistically precise without seeing the obvious scientific error.

There is obviously no scientific error. As per universal law, women in pregnancy may have two hearts in her body but a man cannot have them because he cannot get pregnant. I hope you recognise the truth of the statement in this situation.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 6:23pm

Assalamu alaikum, my brother. Hope Ramadan is going well for you and your loved ones. My apologies for not responding earlier.

Are you saying and accepting that there could be exceptions to God's laws? If that is the case then our debate comes to a conclusive end. Which means, that there are exceptions to God's rules.

Yes there can be exceptions.
As long as there are no verses that state such an exception cannot occur.
If that were to be the case, the exception would be a contradiction.

Sure.

In the same way, Him saying that he created no man with two hearts in his body would be contradicted by the existence of a person who did indeed have two hearts in his chest... unless the statement made was a metaphorical one and not a physical one.

If I can recall correctly it was you who threw-up exceptions, i.e. Lippert. Then I countered that by much more famous and eminent exceptions.

Yes, but the difference between this exception and the ones you provided is that there are no statements that say God did not make people except of a man and a woman.
On the other hand, there is a verse that says God did not create any man with two hearts in his body.
This was either meant as a metaphor, or the life of George Lippert proved the Quran false.
The tafsirs of the verse point to the first possibility (ie that it was a metaphor), not the second.

I am amazed to note that you have still not grasped what was discussed in that video? To wit, the emphasis in that video on the fact that a woman may have two hearts in her body because she gets pregnant but a man does not get pregnant.

Had the Quran's author wanted to say this, he could have said no man has two legs in his stomach.
Treating this verse literally falsifies the Quran.
Treating it as a metaphor may take away the miracle claim discussed in the video but it at least does not falsify its text.

The verse, I have already said could have a different meaning. One, that you appear to prefer. But in an indirect and subtle reference we see a linguistic subtlety also.

But the linguistic subtlety (which would be derived from a literal translation) comes with a scientific error.

Quran states things in its own inimitable manner and quite few things it says are miracles, in the sense that at the time those things were revealed no one knew about them on earth.

No argument with you there, TheSaint.
However, this verse is not one of them.

Not that I know of. But I would not rule-out the possibility that He, in His infinite wisdom, has said something in that context, even if indirectly.

If He did, such a statement would have been erroneous.

I accept.

Alhamdullilah! :)

God does make exceptions, we have already seen that in the case of Jesus PBUH. But if I look-up the Bible I shall be able to provide exceptions by the thousands! So, you do not really have a case at all. Only you are trying to make one.

An exception is one thing. A contradiction is another.
If the verse is meant literally, the existence of people with two hearts in their chest would contradict and falsify it.

The Bible has not only exceptions, but many contradictions also. It is not the word of God.

There is obviously no scientific error. As per universal law, women in pregnancy may have two hearts in her body but a man cannot have them because he cannot get pregnant. I hope you recognise the truth of the statement in this situation.

Of course there is a scientific error. It is possible for a man to have two hearts in his body. The cases we have looked at shown this.

Nice debating with you brother! God bless you and take care!

Edited by TG12345 - 05 June 2016 at 6:23pm
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 6:32pm

Let us look at another episode of Nouman Ali Khan's video which speaks about the difference in the way Moosa AS and Isa AS address the people of Israel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ULa2JzPG0 From app the 8:43 minutes onwards.

Another pointer to exemplary awareness and precision of the author.

Thanks for sharing this, it was interesting.
Curiously, the Bible also is similar in this regard. Many prophets refer to the Israelites as "my people", but Jesus just called them "Israel".

Matthew 15:24
He answered, �I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.�

If you type in "my people" or "my nation" into biblegateway.com search, you will find many prophets saying this to Israelites but never Jesus.

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=%22my+people%22&qs_version=NIV&limit=500

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=%22my+nation%22&qs_version=NIV&limit=500

Linguistics can be fun :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 525354
  Share Topic