IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alone in the universe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alone in the universe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2015 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

My money is on:

5. Interstellar travel is not practical.  My back-of the-envelope calculations say that even if there were a million habitable planets in our own Milky Way galaxy, the average distance between them would be something like 3000 light-years.  If we could travel at the speed of light (which is impossible), it would take you 3000 years at light speed to get to the nearest habitable planet.

In practice, we could probably only manage a few percent of light speed, and even that would take an enormous amount of energy and would mean hundreds of thousands of years of travel time.  That's quite a commute. Wink

This is why there must be a dimension of travel that we have not yet fathomed.  Smile
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

My money is on:

5. Interstellar travel is not practical.  My back-of the-envelope calculations say that even if there were a million habitable planets in our own Milky Way galaxy, the average distance between them would be something like 3000 light-years.  If we could travel at the speed of light (which is impossible), it would take you 3000 years at light speed to get to the nearest habitable planet.

In practice, we could probably only manage a few percent of light speed, and even that would take an enormous amount of energy and would mean hundreds of thousands of years of travel time.  That's quite a commute. Wink

This is why there must be a dimension of travel that we have not yet fathomed.  Smile

Sending frozen embryos to be raised by androids might work. At some point we might even send digitized genomes plus synthetic zygotes. Seven billion genomes easily fit on today's hard disks.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
lindseynicole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindseynicole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:28am
 It is very difficult to live alone in the universe and I want to ask a question that you all posted reply according to their state of mind after reading the post but don't give the solution.

Edited by lindseynicole - 03 July 2015 at 1:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic