IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the niqab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the niqab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thaniya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2008 at 11:22pm
Asalam aleikum,
I respect women who wear the niqab just as much as those who wear hijab without the face veil, neither of them should criticize the other. If you wear the hijab (face veil or not) by choice and not by force then mashallah, hats off to both.
Allah (SWT) does not overburden his slaves with more than they can bear. Islam becomes tough only if you make it that way. The majority of muslim women cannot deal with wearing the niqab (be it because they feel awkward, they are bothered about what people think, for fear of not getting work... for whatever reasons), for them it is a burden. It does not mean that they are any less closer to Allah, they will try to strive in another way to get closer to Him. I have friends who wear the niqab, I tried it too, and in no way does it necessarily mean that your eeman level is higher than a muslim woman who doesn't wear it. Allah knows best.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 6:52am
Seekshidayath: I am aware that those are not your opinions verbatim, but is an extract from an email - however I wised to adderess a few points
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

We need to then think about how the shariah (Islamic law), which is full of wisdom, could command the covering of the head and bosom, the lowering of certain gazes and a dignified walk but allow the face to remain uncovered? The face is where the main attraction of a woman lies. It is on the beautification of her face that the woman spends thousands of rupees, the face that attracts men and the face that is used in advertisements to promote many products.

I very respectfully, beg to differ. The Quran does not explicitly state a 'Face Covering' i.e. Viel. The wisdom behind it bieng, that like Allah said so Himself, He made Islam easy on us. Had the face-viel been compulsory, a lot of women would have faced inconvenience and difficulty - since we cannot presume/expect all muslimahs around the entire world to have the same level of imaan, we cannot say tht it should be an easy choice for everone. hence the niqaab is an option, not complusory or the bare-minimum. also the women who have to venture outside, may find it difficult to observe the viel 24hrs; few examples bieng eating in public, during salaat, etc.

Also, I believe the reason Allah specifically mentions body parts to be covered, is to adderess sexuality. Muslim women (and men) are not supposed to publicly display thier sexuality . . .hence covering of the bosom, figure etc. The face, though an attractive feature (like the entire woman herself), is not a sexual object/feature. Thus is not compuslory to cover. Also, a man is attracted to a woman, based on a complete package, not just the face. Hence, a muslimah, who covers her body the islamic way, yet leaves her face uncovered, is not displaying her sexuality, and thus is within Islamic injuctions.

3-In Surah Al-Ahzab: 59, Allah Ta'ala ordains "O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their jilbabs (cloaks) all over themselves. That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as to not be annoyed. And Allah is Ever-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
The word 'jilbab' refers to an outer garment to be worn over the khimar and clothes when going out of the house.

The word 'ala' (upon) signifies that this cloak must be hung from above a person so as to cover the face, body and clothes and not hung from the shoulders, etc

Like the translation above, Jilbab refers to a covering in general, does not mention the face. As for the explanation of the word 'ala' , that is a personal interpretation. Allah Himself gave room to decide in the verse, so who are we to enforce a standard? As for the word 'ala=upon' it may very well be referring to 'upon the head' as a head-covering. Not neccessarlily in such a way as to cover the face (in a 'ghoongat'- format for urdu-spkrs), that extension is what we interpreted or added.

Quote Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Hadith # 347
Narrated Um 'Atiya (Radhiallaahu �nha) We were ordered (by Rasulullah '(Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) to bring out our menstruating women and veiled women in the religious gatherings and invocation of Muslims on the two 'Eid festivals. These menstruating women were to keep away from their Musalla. A woman asked, "O Allah's Apostle ' What about one who does not have a veil (the veil is the complete cover with only one eye or two eyes showing)?" He said, "Let her share the veil of her companion."

How does the reader know that the word that was translated to mean 'vieled' actually referred to the viel? and not a 'covering' ? Because in english, viel refers to face-covering. . . however it depends on the usage of the arabic word. There are different arabic words for 'viel' 'head covering' 'covering' etc, so one needs to know which word was used in the hadith.

Abu Dawood Book 32, hadith # 4100
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu �nha): I was with Rasulullah (Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) while Maymunah was with him. Then Ibn Umm Maktum came. This happened when we were ordered to observe veil. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) said: Observe veil from him. We asked: oh Rasulullah! is he not blind? He can neither see us nor recognize us. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) said: Are both of you blind? Do you not see him?

I have read this hadith numerous times elsewhere, and those translations did not use the word 'viel' , they said 'hijab' . . .because hijab encompasses the general modesty aspect including 'lowering of the gaze' . . . a viel does not prevent a woman from looking at a man, but using the word 'hijab' does, cz hijab includes lowering of the gaze.

Quote On the other hand the command to abstain from using naqab (sewn cloth for covering face) during Hajj proves the fact that it is necessary otherwise or there would have been no need to stop women from wearing it on Hajj.

This again, I believe is a very opinion-based explanation! How does the commandment of 'dont use viel during hajj' automatically mean that it is compulsory!!! If anything, it negates that concept, i.e its actually not compuslory, because Allah asks women not to wear it during hajj; where a woman is walking amidst hoards of men.

Quote Infact it is not forbidden to cover the face with an unsewn cloth for women on Hajj. Hadhrat Aisha narrates, "Men on camels used to pass by us while we were with the Prophet SAW and in the state of ihram. We would cover our faces with our jilbabs when they passed by us and then uncover them again." (Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah)
That I agree with, it is not forbidden in Islam to cover the face i.e Niqaab - just like it is not compuslory. Both are extreme viewpoints (i.e. those who think it is a must, and those who think it is haraam)

Hence its an order proved from the Quran and Sunnah, if we wish to be in the list of momin, who has only the visa for jannah so we have to do Sama'na wa Ata'na (we listened and we obeyed)

It is most certainly not an order! And the author in no way proved from Quran and Sunnah that it was an order! The ahadith he/she used could easily be talking about other forms of covering, and the few ahadith where the word viel is used, it is no way used in a way that suggests that it was compulsory or an order!

Disclaimer: My post was not intended to criticize Niqaab or Niqaabi Muslimahs, it was meant to adderess the notion that it is compulsory in Islam for women to observe the viel. . . which I felt was important to adderess, since saying that its 'compulsory' is a fabrication.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 7:45am

Living in the US you have a choice, you may wear the face veil if you wish.

You must remember though that the people you are interviewing with have a choice too of not hiring you if they believe you would not be able to do your job completely when wearing the veil. 

Many people are hard of hearing.  Sometimes I have to read lips to be able to "hear" what a person is saying.  I would not hire you.

Chrysalis - yes there is a huge negative feeling about face veils.  Does it stem from bankrobbers hidding their faces?, most people in the west hid their faces because they have something to hide.  Have you ever noticed how people walking outside court rooms after being convicted cover their faces?

We identify others by their face.  I like to be friendly smile and greet people on the street.  Would I do that to someone in a face veil.  I don't know, they would seem to me to not want to be recognized.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 9:50am
As'Salamu Alaikum,

Since its Ramdha'an, i shall not debate Smile.

Insha Allah, sister shall answer you once i get free. JazakAllah for your response to it.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Anna1407 Anna1407 wrote:

hello everyone and Salamaleikum,

I live in the U.S. AND I have been having a bitter battle in my heart about whether or not to continue to wear the niqab due to discriminatio reasons, being unsuccessful of finding a job that might hire me, and little support from fellow Muslims. I also have some questions now regarding the niqab. Is it really Sunnah (that's what I was taught)?, If the Prophet wives and close female companions wore it shouldn't it be important or even obligated becuase of example?, and Has any other religions or cultures wore the niqab? I've really been down lately about the little support and mockery I've received from me wearing it so please no critisism. I would espcially like to hear from some niqabi sisters who may be able to give me some information or even better some encouragement. I hope to hear from someone soon Insh'Allah. Asalamaleikum.

Assalamualaikum.

To a man lust or passion starts from the eyes that is the sight while to a woman it starts from the touch or skin. Some man loves to see the sight of a woman�s figure, some gets excited just admiring the hair, some like to ogle the ***, some eyed the beautiful necks, while most salivate at the sight of the beautiful ***. While in the cases of a most woman, their lust begins with the touch. Hence the reason we must not bare ourselves to men as quoted in the Quran.

By using hijab, we are not only protecting ourselves as a woman, but we are also protecting society. Since the male who is looking at us are the sons, the fathers, the brothers, the uncles, the husbands of society, we are contributing to the well being of the society in general by protecting ourselves.

And for men, by not ogling women, who are the daughters, the wives, the sisters, the mothers or aunts, they themselves are contributing a big share of security to the society. 

Anykind of garments that are opaque, not figure hugging, covers the necessary part of a woman�s assets, are permissible. To me covering the face is too much. Islam is simple, only those who do not understand make it difficult. Yes we can cover our faces if our faces are too beautiful that not only attract men�s attention but also women. It then can cause fitnah. Or perhaps if the faces are too hideous that will invite insults and humiliation, then one should cover the face.

I think some women cover their faces because they followed blindly what the Arab women in the desert were doing. There is another reason for these women to cover their faces as the fine sands in the deserts can be a menace to the face.

Allahu�alam. Allah knows best.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 1:27am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Chrysalis - yes there is a huge negative feeling about face veils.  Does it stem from bankrobbers hidding their faces?, most people in the west hid their faces because they have something to hide.  Have you ever noticed how people walking outside court rooms after being convicted cover their faces? 

The negative connotation about face-viels has nothing to do with bank-robbers or convicts - it is due to stereotypes, and the incorrect perception that links viels with female supression, and infringing of rights. It is also a symptom/result of xenophobia and islamophobia. . . as well as intolerance to other cultures.

Edited by Chrysalis - 09 September 2008 at 1:30am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 6:22pm
Chrysalis - You are generalizing, yes there are some that are afraid of Islam and foreigners but I am not, as are most people I have contact with.  I live in a multicultural area.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Chrysalis - You are generalizing, yes there are some that are afraid of Islam and foreigners but I am not, as are most people I have contact with.  I live in a multicultural area.

So I never presumed you were one of them.  However Islamophobia is an unfortunate fact/reality, and alarmingly rampant. . .  that cannot be ignored or negated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic