IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Astral Projection  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Astral Projection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivesByTheRiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Astral Projection
    Posted: 08 July 2007 at 3:38am
Is it considered wrong to attempt to project your consciousness outside of your body? If so then why?
LivesByTheRiver View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivesByTheRiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 3:40am
I have met a muslim who says he can make his soul travel outside of his body at will and says he can travel to other dimensions.  Whats your view on this?
Allahuakbar501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allahuakbar501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 6:09am
Sounds like something a sufi would say or some sort of monkery i dont know seems farfetched to me.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivesByTheRiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 9:44am
There are people who are totally blind from birth and who dont even dream with visual images who can see with their soul's eyes when they travel outside of their bodies.  So its kind of hard to discount those experiences.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivesByTheRiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 9:47am
Is this not a sign of some existance far greater than the reality that our 5 senses are used to?
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 3:07pm

I think they need to lay off the drugs.

PCP and Ketamine (Dissassociative Drugs that are anesthetics used in some surgical procedures) can give you this effect by feeling like you are not "yourself" so to speak and give you the sensation of traveling outside your body. I'm not denying that it is impossible to travel in this form however given the laws of physics especially the physiological structure and the mental status I highly would consider such an act highly impossible. Even if it were possible to travel out of the body how does the individual know that they are not simply hallucinating?

Native Americans smoke Peyote, a hallucinogen, which gives them the effect that they see things in vivid images and are travelling to various dimensions. I'm really skeptical of people who say that they have been to far reaches of the universe because they don't have any proof. I can easily say I've travelled to the planet Mercury without showing proof.

To answer your question you said:

Is it considered wrong to attempt to project your consciousness outside of your body? If so then why?

Yes and no. Yes, as mentioned above given that spiritual travel is not something common to the average human or even "super human" how can there be any empirical proof that this type of experience is "real?" Meaning, how can I empirically experience what this person experienced? Frankly, it has never been accurately done before. How can you project your consciousness outside your body? This seems like Cartesian Dualism in a way because there is one side that says your consciousness is the assimilation of all your physiological structures in your brain. The other side says that your consciousness is your soul, so in that respect in a two part question, how can you project sometimthing apart of your physiological structure?

Also, how does your soul travel outside its body? The soul is encapsulated in the body and is the life force and without it, we would die so how do you make your soul (or int his case consciousness) travel?

Also no, it may not be wrong to attempt to project your consciousness outside your body because nothing is wrong to the one experiencing it. Our subjective truths are true to us.

Edited by Israfil
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 9:06pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Even if it were possible to travel out of the body how does the individual know that they are not simply hallucinating?

When you know that you haven't taken any drugs or anything else

It seems like that people have forgotten about Muhammad and his one night travel so far away  did Muhammad take some kind of drug?

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 12:27am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

Sounds like something a sufi would say or some sort of monkery i dont know seems farfetched to me.

To begin withg GROW UP, if i was to quote you the list of shaykhs who where ""sufi's"" and whom you just insulted you would feel disgusted with yourself, no doubt you follow them without even knowing and  the only thing you know about tassawuf is from gossip and third hand information.

Educate yourself then speak!

this article deals with something similar to astral projection,

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?ar ticleID=21557

this paper deals with remote viewing,

Unconventional Human Intelligence Support: Transcendent and Asymmetric Warfare Implications of Remote Viewing:

http://www.lfr.org/LFR/csl/library/Bremseth.pdf

by:Commander L. R. Bremseth, United States Navy, 28 April 2001

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic