IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Injustice in El Salvador  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Injustice in El Salvador

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Injustice in El Salvador
    Posted: 06 July 2007 at 6:55pm
Islam demands justice for all people, regardless of faith.  Well, the people in El Salvador are in need of justice, and our prayers.  A friend of mine alerted me to such injustice going on when peaceful protesters were arrested for opposing the privatization of their water, which means that a company gains access to the water and can charge the people, most of which are extremely poor, for use.  This is wrong!  As Muslims, we need to support every struggle for justice and this one is no different.  For those who can, you can write a letter to the government, voicing your concern and condemnation for such despicable behavior.  If you do not feel comfortable putting your personal information on the letter, at lease pray for these people.  For more information, see the following:

http://salvaide.ca/urgent.html

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Tom123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 5:44am
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Islam demands justice for all people, regardless of faith.  Well, the people in El Salvador are in need of justice, and our prayers.  A friend of mine alerted me to such injustice going on when peaceful protesters were arrested for opposing the privatization of their water, which means that a company gains access to the water and can charge the people, most of which are extremely poor, for use.  This is wrong!  As Muslims, we need to support every struggle for justice and this one is no different.  For those who can, you can write a letter to the government, voicing your concern and condemnation for such despicable behavior.  If you do not feel comfortable putting your personal information on the letter, at lease pray for these people.  For more information, see the following:

Thank you for posting this, islamispeace. There have been more alarming developments on this case. The arrested protesters (including Christian activists from the a Catholic CRIDPES aid group) are being charged with 'terrorism' under the country's new Anti-Terrorism Laws.

Their defence of one of the peoples' most basic human rights- the right to have access to clean and safe drinking water- is now being branded as a 'terrorist' offence. The hypocrites do their best to rob the poor of any semblance of human rights or dignity- and then demonize and severely punish those who take a stand on their behalf.

I have sent a letter you can copy and paste, although it is written from a very Christian perspective. I hope my brothers and sisters in Christ sign and send it, non-Christians are encouraged to as well but I understand if you do not feel comfortable doing so. You can see the letters below.

Anyways, if you haven't yet sent a copy of my letter (or any letter you may have written) to El Salvador's president and/or Defence Minister and even if you have, SALVAIDE has sample copies of letters posted on their website in English and Spanish. They are more 'secular' and non-Christians may also feel comfortable signing them. Once again you only have to copy and paste and send.

Please keep these people in your prayers. Thank you so much and God bless you.

Cristo Vive!
       - Peter

Dear President Antonio Sacca,

It has been brought to my attention that on July 2, 2007, El Salvadoran security forces brutally broke up a peaceful protest against the privatization of water in the municipality of Suchitoto, province of Cuscatlan.

Several members of CRIDPES have been arrested and driven away in an army truck. Some of the people arrested have been Marta Lorena Araujo, the President of the CRIPDES National Directive Council; Rosa Valle Centeno, Vice-President CRIPDES National Directive Council; Mar�a Haydee Chicas, CRIPDES journalist and photographer and Manuel Antonio Rodriguez, who was driving the CRIPDES vehicle.

As you probably know CRIDPES is a Catholic social aid group, since 1984 they have tirelessly and faithfully worked to help people oppressed by poverty and war. They have helped over 300 communities establish essential basic services like basic health care, clean water, and electricity. Their participation in the protest against the privatization of water was motivated by their desire to see a better standard of living for the people who have elected you into office and who are your subjects.

Their arrest was unjust, as was the cruel mistreatment of protesters crying for their release. Several others have also been arrested in the municipality of Guillermo Ungo by riot police and special police forces. I know that as the President of the Republic of El Salvador, you want to ensure that justice is done. You can do so. Please see to it that they are released and allowed to continue their work.

I know that you are a Christian and a practicing Catholic and that you go to church. The people who have been arrested on July 2nd have been punished for following the Gospel and heeding the teachings of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ who told us that we as Christians have a responsibility to serve and work and to defend the human rights of the poor.

As a president who wants to see justice done in his country and as a good Catholic Christian, you have the power and the necessity to see use your influence to work for justice in your country.

I ask that you please release them.

Thank you, and God bless you.

Gracias, y Diostevendiga.

Sincerely,

My Name

Canada

Toronto, Ontario

my address

my postal code

Dear Minister of Security Rene Figueroa,

It has been brought to my attention that on July 2, 2007, El Salvadoran security forces brutally broke up a peaceful protest against the privatization of water in the municipality of Suchitoto, province of Cuscatlan.

Several members of CRIDPES have been arrested and driven away in an army truck. Some of the people arrested have been Marta Lorena Araujo, the President of the CRIPDES National Directive Council; Rosa Valle Centeno, Vice-President CRIPDES National Directive Council; Mar�a Haydee Chicas, CRIPDES journalist and photographer and Manuel Antonio Rodriguez, who was driving the CRIPDES vehicle.

As you probably know CRIDPES is a Catholic social aid group, and since 1984 they have tirelessly and faithfully worked to help people oppressed by poverty and war. They have helped over 300 communities establish essential basic services like basic health care, clean water, and electricity. Their participation in the protest against the privatization of water was motivated by their desire to see a better standard of living for the people whose safety you are tasked with protecting.

Their arrest was unjust, as was the cruel mistreatment of protesters crying for their release. Several others have also been arrested in the municipality of Guillermo Ungo by riot police and special police forces.. I know that as the Minister of Security of the Republic of El Salvador, you want to ensure that justice is done. You can do so. Please see to it that they are released and allowed to continue their work.

I know that you are a Christian and a practicing Catholic and that you go to church. The people who have been arrested on July 2nd have been punished for following the Gospel and heeding the teachings of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ who told us that we as Christians have a responsibility to serve and work and to defend the human rights of the poor.

As a minister of government who wants to see justice done in his country and as a Catholic Christian, you have the power and the obligation to see use your influence to work for justice in your country.

I ask that you please release the CRIDPES workers and all peaceful protesters arrested that day.

Thank you, and God bless you.

Gracias, y Diostevendiga.

Sincerely,

My name

Toronto, Canada

my address

my postal code

Edited by Tom123 - 30 August 2013 at 7:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic